Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 17561 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New Superpower

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Two-Part Question

Does Pre New 52 Superman have the ability to use the Superflare?

And do you think if Superman had full control of the Superflare ability, he could use it to emit solar energy out of any part of his body like his eyes? So he'd be able to shoot it out of his hands, or his mouth.

Personally, I believe that the Current Rebirth Superman (Pre New 52, Post-Crisis, Whatever-You-Want-To-Name-Him) should be able to use this power. As Batman told New 52 Superman, his heat vision appears to be a "precursor" to the Super Flare. It's very similar to Danny Phantom's ghost sense being a precursor to his Ice Powers.

We have also seen Superman control his Heat Vision with incredible precision, getting super large or microscopic in effect.

Now if he is able to use Super Flare, that means he can emit it from his entire body. So if he can emit it from everywhere at once, it's not that farfetched to say he can emit it from select areas of his body like his hands, mouth, even feet.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pre-New 52 Superman doesn't posses the ability to use the Solarflare, no, and I honestly prefer it that way, ever since Post-Flashpoint Superman start flaring everything went to hell, both with his powers and quality wise.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

The Superflare was just an other dumb bell and whistle that Johns added to his arc to make it special (and hid how generic it was). Only good thing he did was make Jimmy know that Clark is Superman, and even that was half assed and unearned. Not only was it a dumb power, but it was incredibly weak for a "last resort" move.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebirth supes doesn't have that ability as far as I know. I don't want to see rebirth superman using it ever either. It was a stupid power.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By buttersdaman000

Give him the powers he had in All-Star Superman

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, Kara basically had the power. I don't think the new guy has it though. Supes didn't do it as well as Kara, from a control standpoint. Doubt current Kal could either, but he should be capable of learning it.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superdad hopefully never gets it

Kara had a super flare,but without losing her powers(unlike her TV show version that loses them quick when she does.it).

Kon should.have the opposite of this,he should be able.to hyper.accelrate the molecules around him,then go nova and when he pushes them away.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheKinfing
    ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekinfing: don't remember the issue. She was emitting Solar energy to evaporate water as she moved through the ocean to get to her sanctuary.

Knight101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakai:

I don't see why Rebirth Superman should be able to use the super flare power.

New52 Superman was able to use his powers in ways that Rebirth Superman (Convergence or Pre-Flashpoint) never showed he could.

During Morrison run New52 Superman was able to use Microwave Vision. Pre-Flashpoint Superman never used anything like that except one time, and it was because his powers were amped up.

During Snyder run, New52 Superman was able to use Gamma Vision. Again, something pre-Flashpoint Superman never did.

So why should Rebirth be able to use the super flare is beyond me. I mean, the power wasn't even that good, it was terrible in a matter of fact. If the solar flare power could be used like Apollo used his Halo Effect, or in a controlled way at the very least then it would've been an awesome power.

Like for example to be able to create shields or weapons made of solar energy. Even something like a disruption field around Superman head, something like that aura effect Rao had, blocking any outside influence to Superman mind. Or if Superman could manipulate that same energy as a field. Enabling him to control objects around him almost like telekinesis but more closer to Magneto powers.

But as it was, the power was mainly useless or too dangerous to use.

Even Lana, that inherited New52 Superman solar flare power, as been using it in ways, I only wished Superman had used them. If the solar flare power had been used as Lana is now using it, Superman arsenal of abilities would've gone up substantially. But as it was, he used it as discharge weapon and became powerless for 24h.

Also many old school hardcore close minded fans aren't that appreciative of Superman developing new powers. I guess they fear to turn what should be one of the most powerful beings on Earth into exactly that.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give him the powers he had in All-Star Superman

I'm not too knowledgeable on All-Star Superman, what powers did he have?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All I know is what is up with the blue coming out of Superman he touch the ground an left a mark .Also when he touch swamp thing it burned him.

Plus it made him speak Kryptonian.

I just cannot see how it adds up. After Seeing lois an lane with the red an blue . One just have to wonder if they are going back there with Superman.

Avatar image for supermanforever
    Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Supermanforever

So far there was no mention about superflair in rebirth for superman and hopefully stays that way. I hated that power

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@New_World_Order:

Because he flew too close to the sun, all his physical and mental abilities were tripled in terms of power.

He also developed the ability to manipulate his bio-aura, enabling him to extend it out of his body and create shields that could protect or/and carry things.

He also developed the power of electricity. He could fire electric energy from his eyes or hands. Some have even argued if this power and the bio-aura were the same but showed in a different view.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By New_World_Order

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.