Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New-52 Superman Capability Thread

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@toptom: No problem. Glad I could help.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger Have you seen the feat I posted above from WW 37? It's honestly not saying much, though, it at least shows that Clark is skilled enough to manage in a spar against Diana.

They were only sparring and Diana was probably holding back. You're right, that feat doesn't say much when compared to the multitude of fighting skill feats Diana has over Superman in the New 52. If they were fighting seriously in H2H combat, I doubt Clark would last long without using his powers.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger: I interpreted the showing the same way. I posted it cause it at least shows that Clark is not incompetent in the skill department, even though WW was not going all out.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any more noteworthy Superman feats from January thus far?

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

Two feats from Justice League #36. Since it's not more than three scans from the same comic, it abides by the rules.

Justice League #36

Clark states he can see the molecules in the air

No Caption Provided

Even when Batman's Thermal Imaging can't pick up the presence of "Patient Zero," Clark can hear "Patient Zero" breathing.

No Caption Provided

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4:

Displays some skill by sparring with Diana in Wonder Woman #37

I agree with your conclusion that this is not saying much and Diana most likely wasn’t going all out against him. Still, at very least I can use it next time when someone says “Superman is just a brawler; he doesn’t have an inkling of skill”.

Must add that scene is a bit self-contradictory (unless they’re using magic-enhanced wooden staffs while sparring…). Those staffs not shred into splinters, so both Clark and Diana must have hold back, but in the same time, why are they both so sweaty? With their insane endurance levels, to get that effect they must have going at it with full force for quite some time near volcano…

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is gonna get busy after Wednesday Toptom, you'll need to update Superman's new power to the mix ;)

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger: Quick question. Since we can not post more than three pages from the same comic, if I were to post three pages of Superman #38 and you were to post the continuation of the scans from that very same comic, would it be against the rules?

If it would be against the rules, I guess I'll have to resort to linking them via imgur

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Quick question. Since we can not post more than three pages from the same comic, if I were to post three pages of Superman #38 and you were to post the continuation of the scans from that very same comic, would it be against the rules?

If it would be against the rules, I guess I'll have to resort to linking them via imgur

No that's not allowed with the New scan rules. No more than 3 pages from a single issue per thread. I don't know how Toptom will organise it but if you want to upload them now, I'm afraid you'll have to do it via Imgur. Apologies for the effort that will cause but we can't split the scans to bypass the rule.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Understandable. Thanks.

Hope it works OK, I look forward to seeing the scans. Even though I haven't read the issue yet.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger: It should be about 9 scans. Not too much happened but an explanation was given about the working of the new power and its range. I'm currently uploading them. It might take a couple of minutes due to how slow imgur is though :)

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Zandalf

@unbreakable_fs4 said:

Presumably you are going to add the "super solar flare",but despite the fact it looks cool it is really not impressive by any means to the point that it can not be included in such a thread imo. :(

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf said:

@unbreakable_fs4 said:

Presumably you are going to add the "super solar flare",but despite the fact it looks cool it is really not impressive by any means to the point that it can not be included in such a thread imo. :(

The solar flare feat and explanation can still be included in the thread but we have to be careful about which scans are uploaded. Technically cropped panels are allowed which add up to more than 3 scans but even that is difficult to bypass the mods with.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger@toptom

Superman #38

• Superman catches a piece of a skyscraper that was inches away from the citizens. Note that he did this while getting knocked around by Ulysses who was amped on the energy of the core of his entire planet. Clark stated he did not want to fight, yet he still had the presence of mind to react quickly and save the people on such short notice.

Scans: Saves the citizens

• Superman uses his new powers, Solar Flare, in his battle with the amped up Ulysses. The blast knocks Ulysses out and incinerates everything akin to a small scale nuke. Note that this severe environmental damage is due to Clark's lack of experience using his new power.

Scans: Solar Flare

• Batman explains to Clark the origination of his new powers. Clark's heat vision is a precursor to his Solar Flare.

Scan: Batman explains the Solar Flare

• Batman states that the Solar Flare/"Super Flare" incinerated everything around Supes within a quarter of a mile.

Scan: Range of Solar/Super Flare

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zandalf

@lvenger said:

@zandalf said:

@unbreakable_fs4 said:

The solar flare feat and explanation can still be included in the thread but we have to be careful about which scans are uploaded. Technically cropped panels are allowed which add up to more than 3 scans but even that is difficult to bypass the mods with.

Yes, it can be included but mostly because it is a new power but actually what he has done with it can also be considerated quite a low showing and they usually aren't shown into a respect thread. I mean with all of his energy,accumulated in all those years, he could only destroy an area in a quarter of mile just to loose his powers fo 24h. I think that this power is useless ,maybe that's just me....but probably not though.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf: In my opinion the power can come in handy in last resort situations. Though if he becomes proficient in using it, he could use it the same way Kara uses hers. He can create some space via the omnidirectional burst of solar energy or deter/eliminate a multitude of foes ganging up on him. As Supergirl showed in Supergirl #17, with a skill such as this, he possibly could escape Wonder Woman's lasso as Kara did. I think the power will show its usefulness the more experienced he gets with it.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Zandalf

@unbreakable_fs4 said:

@zandalf: In my opinion the power can come in handy in last resort situations. Though if he becomes proficient in using it, he could use it the same way Kara uses hers. He can create some space via the omnidirectional burst of solar energy or deter/eliminate a multitude of foes ganging up on him. As Supergirl showed in Supergirl #17, with a skill such as this, he possibly could escape Wonder Woman's lasso as Kara did. I think the power will show its usefulness the more experienced he gets with it.

That's true, i was just massively let down by it .The images of the preview were awesome.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf: Yes they were. I, however, read the issue expecting what I got to be honest. I figured if they are to give him an attack with this kind of circular range, they'd limit the damages caused by it since his character is supposed to prevent damage rather than cause it.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4: Instead ,from the preview,i expected them to fight on another planet in order to let Superman use this supposed "most destructive power" at its fullest. Well...it may be for another time i suppose.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

What a complete disappointment...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Few more feats which I don't believe are on this thread so far:

Freeze Breath

Applies his freeze breath precisely enough to cause discomfort to the mentally empowered Smallville residents, thus disrupting their telepathy without freezing or hurting them - Action Comics #37

No Caption Provided

Durability

Withstands a hit from Red Lantern Supergirl wielding a ship like a baseball bat - Red Lanterns #29

No Caption Provided

Tanks a hit from Ulysses, who was amped after absorbing the energy of The Fourth World's core, that sends Superman through some asteroids of the destroyed planet - Superman #38

No Caption Provided

Tanks a hit from Wraith that does break another rib. Considering that it took a multi mountain busting attack to break 2 of Superman's ribs, this makes it logical to assume that Wraith's striking power is also in the mountain busting range at least - Superman Unchained #8

http://40.media.tumblr.com/707e34eec79f4831e0748360e29d083e/tumblr_nbonwmwfTU1rgn3nyo9_1280.jpg

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The flare only incinerated things in between a quarter of a mile?

You mean to tell me that Superman, the guy that

1. lifted the mass of the earth for two days straight

2. Shook the entire planet with his punches,

3. Tanked more than one black hole,

4. Pushed a machine 3x bigger than the earth, and

5. is faster than the speed of light,

Only has enough energy to destroy a quarter mile?

That's pathetic, Johns...

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: Ulysses absorbed a lot of the blast.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

@mrtummytumms: It was an omnidirectional blast.

That is true it was a area of effect move not a direct blast. That energy blast is a last resort move from what I can tell it won't be a regular thing from Superman.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@jogga said:

The flare only incinerated things in between a quarter of a mile?

You mean to tell me that Superman, the guy that

1. lifted the mass of the earth for two days straight

2. Shook the entire planet with his punches,

3. Tanked more than one black hole,

4. Pushed a machine 3x bigger than the earth, and

5. is faster than the speed of light,

Only has enough energy to destroy a quarter mile?

That's pathetic, Johns...

EGGS-ACT-LEE

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: It's obvious that Superman did so by accident.

Anyway, I don't care if it will or won't be a last resort. That "super flare" is practically one of the least impressive feats Superman has had for a while.

All this hype, yet the payoff is so underwhelming.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

@ariesxmasters: It's obvious that Superman did so by accident.

Anyway, I don't care if it will or won't be a last resort. That "super flare" is practically one of the least impressive feats Superman has had for a while.

All this hype, yet the payoff is so underwhelming.

Hmmm I see. I'm curious what they're going to do with the plot. I'm kind of interested to see how Superman is without his powers.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters:

Superman without his powers has been an overplayed trope for YEARS.

This is seriously nothing new.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom: THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!

I would love for you (or someone) to do this for more characters. This is almost better then their bio pages

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone else has access to any feats Superman may have performed in Superman/Wonder Woman #16, feel free to post them. I'll post the one feat from Justice League #39 where Superman freezes Patient Zero along with Captain Cold's Cold Gun. A joint feat granted but the foe makes it impressive I guess and it looks damn cool too.

No Caption Provided

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger Late response but I posted the S/WW 16 feats

Superman/Wonder Woman #15

After getting stabbed in the chest by a magic amplified trident granted to Magog by Circe, Clark manages to hold the 600,000 ton weight of the George Washington bridge via the severed main cable.

Superman/Wonder Woman #16

(These feats will be posted through imgur)

While unable to quickly heal his stab wound from the trident of Magog due to its magical nature, he tanks multiple magical blasts from the trident and a huge blast, large enough to cover a large portion of the bridge, yet he is unscathed after.

Aggravated, Magog discards his trident and starts beating Clark with cars and large blocks of reinforced concrete, yet Supes is uninjured and only dazed, while still holding on to the bridge.

Durability scans

Clark strategically chooses not to retaliate and purposely lets Magog close the distance between them both. Due to supporting the bridge, Supes uses his feet to lock Magog in place and then blasts him with heat vision, then drop-kicks Magog into the bridge, which gives Clark enough time to reconnect the bridge's main cable and suspender cables.

Outsmarting Magog

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4: Thanks for uploading these feats, much appreciated! :) I don't read this series due to personal preference. But I have to admit I did like Superman tricking Magog like that, that's some smart fighting for a change. And it looks like that, between the two of us, we can make up any feats Toptom isn't uploading.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger: You're welcome. Also, same here. I'm not a huge fan of the SM/WW books but I read it mainly cause of Superman haha. It was nice to see him use his head in tandem with his strength, rather than the usual.

Agreed. Considering how hard on the wallet it is for one person to collect each comic Supes makes an appearance in, we could definitely help split the load. I'm glad you took care of the JL feat cause I hadn't gotten around to reading it yet until last night.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4: Someone else had uploaded it on a review so the scan was easy to find fortunately.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger: Oh I see. Now I remember, I didn't go through the review in an attempt to prevent spoilers lol. It's also the reason I was avoiding this thread cause I expected spoilers. After losing to the temptation, I came here but thankfully you kept it in a spoiler block which helped me wait it out until I read the comic haha

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4: Honestly I wasn't thinking about spoilers when I blocked off that image but seems it's a good thing I did spoiler block it for your privilege.

I don't think there are any feats from the last issue of Superman/Batman since the characters were all in Kandor at the time, which decreases Kryptonian powers. I guess the next lot of Superman feats will come in Action Comics #40.

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I guess I was lucky. Speaking of Action Comics, I'm way behind on that and stuck on issue 36. If you don't mind can you give me a brief rundown on what's currently taking place.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I guess I was lucky. Speaking of Action Comics, I'm way behind on that and stuck on issue 36. If you don't mind can you give me a brief rundown on what's currently taking place.

I'm not sure I can do that without major spoilers. I can link you to reviews that will tell you what's happening but do you want to be spoiled on what happens?

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

@lvenger: In that case, I think I'll hold out lol. Thanks :)

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom: Awesome! and no problem, we're happy to help :)

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SanoHibiki

@toptom:

That was some time since I visited this thread; still you got it a bit wrong :-)

Thank YOU for creating and updating this thread.

P.S. Just now saw intellectual feats. Damn, how few of them compared to the rest. Again, thanks a lot, mate.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom: Some nice intelligence and strategy updates, but what about Superman tricking Wraith into following him to the core of the Earth where he lost most of his powers? That's a pretty clever combat strategy feat IMO.

@lvenger: In that case, I think I'll hold out lol. Thanks :)

Hope you enjoy it, most people on here who read it seem to have liked it a lot.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@toptom: Some nice intelligence and strategy updates, but what about Superman tricking Wraith into following him to the core of the Earth where he lost most of his powers? That's a pretty clever combat strategy feat IMO.

yep,just added it plus another one

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom said:

@lvenger said:

yep,just added it plus another one

The water tower feat? Nice choice :)

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unbreakable_fs4:

I smiled hard as hell reading that fight with Magog! Supes is awesome!

unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.