Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New 52 kryptonians

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By buttersdaman000

Are they any different than what they were before? I know Supergirl was shown to be surprised after gaining her powers but this line from action comics #7 kind of confuses me...

It says that Superman comes from a mighty race of 'super beings', making it seem like kryptonians have some other sort of super power. And to add to that, they are called level 8 beings with humans being a lowly 3.

So, am I just reading into this too much or is there something there?

Also what was sup with that kryptoniana stuff?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By UltimateSMfan

he's talkin about super as in superior beings in terms of intelligence plus level 8 also describes their intelligence n their technology n stuff. Kryptoniana is just grant morrison on some kind of trip or it means kryptonian stuff.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Deranged Midget

I'm pretty sure the number scale refers to the species advancement in technology because it's painfully obvious that they lack any super powers on their home planet. As for the rest, they seem to be the same Kryptonians from pre-52 (as far as we can tell).

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By azza04

I dunno, if he meant super in terms of their technology surely he would of just said super intelligent. It pisses me off when Supes loses his powers lol, Smallville made me despise that aspect of Kryptonians. They make them seem to human.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skunkstein

For me its cleary a scale of civilization evolution. low numbers are primitive civilizations, high numbers are evovled civilizations.

And technically all kryptonians have the potential power of superman... if we humans had that potential stored i would go ahead and call us superbeings aswell.

Its clear to me that none of the kryptonians had any powers in the little flashback in what was it? Actions comics #5 or #6...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By z3ro180

@azza04: your not alone about hateing smallville for that.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By azza04

@Z3RO180: It's difficult to explain...Obviously it's good that Clark/Kal-El acts human and has a big heart and can relate to humans to a degree, but I don't like it when they make it seem as though his powers are the only thing that makes him Kryptonian and without them he's just human.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Icon

@azza04 said:

I dunno, if he meant super in terms of their technology surely he would of just said super intelligent. It pisses me off when Supes loses his powers lol, Smallville made me despise that aspect of Kryptonians. They make them seem to human.

@azza04 said:

Obviously it's good that Clark/Kal-El acts human and has a big heart and can relate to humans to a degree, but I don't like it when they make it seem as though his powers are the only thing that makes him Kryptonian and without them he's just human.

I agree completely.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By z3ro180

@Icon: caan you tell me if the new superman can breath in space like super girl ??

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icon

@Z3RO180: In the latest issue of Action Comics he is shown needing a breathing apparatus and air supply when going into space.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By z3ro180

@Icon: um i should have said jl and superman supessry

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icon

@Z3RO180: I don't think he can breathe in space, but by the time we get to modern JL and Superman issues he is powerful enough to hold his breath for super long periods.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By z3ro180

@Icon: cool i ask because i i saw a post on this saying he cant then i read action comics with the breathing thing were he coudent breath in space then in jl he said he can breath in space and in super boy 6 supergirl can breath in space i think.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Z3RO180 said:

@Icon: cool i ask because i i saw a post on this saying he cant then i read action comics with the breathing thing were he coudent breath in space then in jl he said he can breath in space and in super boy 6 supergirl can breath in space i think.

YEa it is one of his latent abilities that he builds up over the years, kind of like he couldnt fly at firs and now he can

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By termiteone4ever

interesting :) i like how people read into stuff :)

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zdaybreak

@Icon: This is probably because he hasn't yet figured out that he can fly in space without a supply of oxygen at hand.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.