No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
No Caption Provided

Don Draper as Superman? I’m not a MAD MEN devotee, so I can’t vouch for Jon Hamm’s skills, but I’m going to have to call “baloney!” on the rumor TMT’s running about the guy being in the running to play the Man of Steel for the reboot that David Goyer and the Nolan brothers are currently cooking up. The guy’s a little too seasoned for what I’m sure the WB wants to be a whole new series, for one. Secondly, the guy’s already gone on record saying he’s skeptical about how challenging such a role would to him as an actor. And by “on record,” I mean he’s answered direct questions about it on video (see that MTV interview below) because he seems to be the current go-to name that fans list for any fantasy superhero casting call (a spot I recall Christian Bale having for years before BATMAN BEGINS.)

So this is a little more grain to pour in to the rumor mill, putting Hamm in association with the likes CHUCK’s Zachary Levi and Joe Manganiello, who was apparently campaigning for the role at the TRUE BLOOD panel at Comic Con. Me, myself, I still think Jim Caviezel would’ve been an excellent choice, but the ship seems to have sailed on that. == TEASER ==

Here's the video that ought to stamp out any doubts... 

Since there’s not a lot to work with here, I want to say that I’m more excited about Hamm’s role in SUCKER PUNCH. That’s Zack Snyder’s next movie and, even though it’s his first original story, the thing really does look like a cracked-out comic on screen. Hamm’s supposed to be playing somebody called “High Roller” in this psychotic tale of gun wielding hotties, robo-samurai and World War I era mecha. Have any of you seen the trailer yet?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS!  and UNIMAGINABLE. Both are available for order on Amazon here and here.

Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Riezner

I'd love to see this. If they're planning on combining the Batman and Superman worlds into one story, then they'll need a Superman that can stand up to Christian Bale. Hamm would be perfect for an older Superman. Gets my vote.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

eh...

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

It wouldn't be a bad choice. But I agree, he does look a bit old for th reboot.
Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

He has my vote

IAMtheHERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By IAMtheHERO

he would be a great bruce wayne batman!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By KJPPPimp

He has the look of Gary Frank's Supes and the guy can definitely act but they'll probably wanna go a little younger for the reboot. I would totally support it though. Plus he was hilarious on SNL.

SUPERCRAFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SUPERCRAFT

I think he would be great as superman just needs to bulk up!!
Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

Joe Manganiello is too hairy, and better stay as a werewolf. Zachary Levi needs to be a nerd and keep buying JLA issues. And Jon Hamm yeah, I could see him as Superman. Aged or not, he seems to fit.I like the idea!

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DH69

i dont care who plays him, cause until they can make a person floating in the air without wings or a jetpack look anything but corny it doesnt matter.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Moomin123

Wow, this guy looks loads like Supes, he's ideal for the role. But if he declines, I say give Brandon Routh another try.
shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By shawn87

they should find someone else

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Martian

YES!!!

Avatar image for silver_knight75
Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Silver Knight75

ummmmmm.....No

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By The WeatherMan

He would be perfect for a bit older, established and mature Clark Kent, who already has been Superman for a while. I would hate it if they did a whole "coming of age" tale again in the reboot, pretty much everyone knows the story of an alien boy landing on our planet and discovering his powers through adolecence. So they should make a Superman that is already established in the world, people know and recognize him and I think he would be perfect for the role.
Watchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Watchman

When I first saw the title too this article and stuff. The first thing I thought of was this video right down here, but turned out it wasn't about this video, but good article. Personally like you said I thought James Caviezel would be a good choice for a superman, but doesn't look like that would happen. My other picks would be Thomas Gibson     from "Criminal Minds", or he would make a good Bruce Wayne for something, but anyway. Also I think Tom Welling     wouldn't a bad choice since he's been playing Superman/Clark Kent for about Ten years! But he would be ok. And I think Brandon Routh     did a good job as Superman and Clark Kent and should get another chance to be Superman again. He was a Great Pick! I say bring back Brandon Routh. His personality is very much like Superman's. But anyways heres that video of Jon Hamm as? Who? Lex Luthor?! 

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/26ju    
antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By antiterra

That would fantastic. An older-looking Superman would open new storytelling avenues compared to everything that has been done in previous movies and cartoons.

And Jon Hamm could certainly give Superman a certain texture and gravitas that the perennial "boy scout" image he holds in the public's mind usually precludes.

Unfortunately, I would be very surprised if the next Superman movie didn't conform precisely to that image.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By karrob

He does have a haircut you can set your watch too

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Calvin
@shawn87 said:
" they should find someone else "
Yes, in the interview he clearly shows he does not understand Superman. - Can't people see he doesn't shows he's interested? I mean he deflected immediately to Batman.
tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tensor

hell no

jdeluca2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jdeluca2

He should be him!!

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I'd buy it

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Eh he's too old, have tom welling do it lol he deserves it, 10 years being clark kent/the blur, now lets make him superman

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MemnochZERO

Jon Hamm is a fantastic actor, but he's more suited for Lex Luthor than Superman (yes, I know he's also played a comedic version twice, but that's besides the point lol). As for a new Superman, back before Christian Bale was cast as Batman, Batman Begins writer (and Superman reboot writer) David S. Goyer's top pick for the role was Jake Gyllenhaal. Now, while I'm glad Bale came along proving Jake wasn't suited for Batman, he WOULD however make a fantastic Superman. He's got the acting chops AND handles physical roles really well (plus look how beefed up he got for Prince of Persia). 
Now put Gyllenhaal as Superman/Clark Kent, Hamm as Luthor, Olivia Wilde as Lois Lane, Thomas Dekker as Jimmy Olsen, and Harvey Keitel as Perry White... and you have a real film on your hands.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ssejllenrad

I'm still a supporter of Routh (for younger) and Caveziel (for older) as Superman but I would not mind Hamm. He's a good actor and I think he definitely can make it work.

CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CharlieJade

snore

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jefprice

I'd love to see him replace Christian Bale as Batman. He's a better actor and not a total tool. It's hard for me to see so many great roles go to a moron like Bale Lol 

I think Tom W should get it. 

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

To old to greasy 

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chibi-Iroh
@MemnochZERO:  I am sorry but Jake looks nothing like Superman and that would suck horribly if they cast him.
Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I do agree that if Hamm doesn't get it Tom Welling should be badgered and badgered until he takes the role.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Jon Hamm is gorgeous ... phwoarrr
He is a REAL man.

No Caption Provided

the darknessss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the darknessss

in a word,,,,,,,,,crapiod,,,,,routh was amazing in a "average" movie,,if the film industry had half a brain they would use routh again this time in a real battlefest,,,,,,doomsday? darksied? bizarro? mongul? theres a summer blockbuster waiting to happen you film industry herberts!!!!!! get a grip!!
Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Bergquist

just let him play the part!
1DVGamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 1DVGamer7

everytime someone sees a bald person or someone with a black parted head of hair - they typecast them in a similar role... wtf. 

hair can be coloured and effects can be administered... better casting please people.
roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By roadbuster

I'm part of a small and discredited minority that considers Jon Hamm a bad actor.  Perhaps, bad is the wrong word since he certainly excels at a very specific and narrow range of characters and emotions and delivery... so perhaps lacking versatility is what I mean to say.  Outside of Mad Men the quality of his acting is either the same essential character or frankly pretty poor in my opinion.  I suspect his success has much more to do with the context of Mad Men, it's script, and what it gives him to work with than his own objective acting abilities (in contrast to, say, Bryan Cranston who has incredible material to work with as well, but shows far greater range in terms of an actor both in that show and outside of it). 

With characters as iconic as DC's, I tend to hate celebrity casting which overshadows the iconography of the characters.  It becomes about Clooney or Halle rather than the character.  With Marvel's movies which have a sort of modern, popular, and sleazy sell-out feel to them it makes perfect sense to be casting Alba, Downey, or Jackson (heck, the comics themselves are already "casting" them in such roles) but this is in contrast to DC's risky art-house passion-project feel in films like Watchmen, Dark Knight, and Superman Returns where relative unknowns are cast or obscured so that the underlying material shines. 

In either case, acting comes first.  A no-name OR a celebrity with the perfect look is meaningless if he can't deliver... and it disturbs me how many times celebrities are tapped merely for their looks because the public is familiar with them.  Similarly, I would never exclude a celebrity simply on the basis of their fame if they have the acting chops to bring to the role- it would be ludicrous to punish an actor for fame established on the basis of his ability to act! (ex: keeping Stewart out of the running because he's too familiar to comic fans) 

But I digress. 

Jon Hamm is too old, too short, too limited in acting range, and- though not essential for the actor- not a Superman guy.  For the latter factor, the world at large is broken into spectrum of people who are either Superman guys or Batman guys.  When the question is posed to them and they are required to answer, instantly on instinct without hesitation, "Superman or Batman?" (note the question lacks any factors or substance- it doesn't ask who is stronger, who would win, who you would like to be, etc. it is pure preference and instinct) people like Bruce Timm or Bryan Singer will, without hesitation say, "Batman."  A person like Paul Dini will hesitate a second and say, "Batman" showing a preference for Batman but an understanding or appreciation for Superman.  A person like  Alan Burnett will hesitate a second and say, "Superman" under similar reasoning.  There are but a handful of those in the comic industry who would say "Superman" unequivocally and without hesitation.  Those are true Superman guys and those are the people who need to be making the film (writing, directing, producing). 

Everyone else doesn't "get" Superman to the same extent or passion and tend to compromise in an effort to conform him to what they do  get (which is the Batman spectrum).  To Bryan Singer's credit, he did a whole lot of research and developed a certain amount of respect for Superman as a historical concept, but ultimately he only "got" Superman as reflected in the Donner film... his appreciation was mostly on a film level, a historical level, and an understanding of the theoretical gravity of the project... but he never "got" Superman as a concept or appreciated it as such... he was never a Superman guy... Singer's Superman never threw a single punch, was emasculated in his primary defining romantic relationship, and made impotent to do anything about it bearing the burdens of a dead race and world that had moved on... you might a believe a man could fly (again) but you did not want to be him.  And if you can't get that last bit you don't get Superman.

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lady Tlieso

Joe Manganiello !!!!!  He's got the body, face & acting ability.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Lady Tlieso said:
"  Joe Manganiello !!!!!  He's got the body, face & acting ability.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
"
*GIGGLES*
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@Lady Tlieso said:
"  Joe Manganiello !!!!!  He's got the body, face & acting ability.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
"
you just wanted an excuse to post this, didn't you
Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lady Tlieso
@.Mistress Redhead.: You know you want to see him in a skintight blue uniform. ;)
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lady Tlieso said:
" @.Mistress Redhead.: You know you want to see him in a skintight blue uniform. ;) "
  But it would cover alllllllll of this up ;)
Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lady Tlieso
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @Lady Tlieso said:
" @.Mistress Redhead.: You know you want to see him in a skintight blue uniform. ;) "
  But it would cover alllllllll of this up ;) "
I can;t see the picture!!! O.O
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lady Tlieso:  
Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lady Tlieso
@.Mistress Redhead.: Curse you photobucket!!!! shakes fist.
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lady Tlieso said:
" @.Mistress Redhead.: Curse you photobucket!!!! shakes fist. "
I give up grr
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Primmaster64
@Lady Tlieso said:
" @.Mistress Redhead.: Curse you photobucket!!!! shakes fist. "
lol!
darkking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By darkking

good idea but , why use the superman reutrns person??????????
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nova`Prime`

He has the look of the classic Christopher Reeves Superman, and I think that's a bad thing in DC/WB's eyes as they seem to be wanting to distance themselves from that era of Superman. But I do think he would be an excellent choice and they definitely don't need to do another Superman Origin movie.. unless you have lived under a rock on Pluto you know of Superman and his origin, you might not know he landed in Kansas but you get the gist of it. But alas he is obviously not interested at this time... until they back the Brinks truck up to his front door and offer him a boat load of cash to don the red and blues.

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Krakoa

Patrick Warburton for Superman

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Paragon
Avatar image for grandnagustriforce
grandnagustriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamm would make a ham of Superman.

nightshroud1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nightshroud1

The next movie is a reboot (or so i've heard), I think they are gonna go for somone younger.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.