Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Tyler Hoechlin the Right Choice to play Superman?

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Tyler Hoechlin the Right Choice to play Superman? (32 votes)

Yes. He'll knock right out of the park. 38%
    No. He's the wrong choice for the part. 34%
    Meh. I don't care who plays Superman. 25%

Since they made the announcement of Tyler Hoechlin to play Superman in season 2 of Supergirl.

So here's my question.....

Can he pull off a convincing Superman?

• 
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

I liked him on Teen Wolf, but he doesn't give off the Superman Vibe, especially not one in his mid 30's. Besides, I think speculation is on the money with this one. He's only gonna be in one episode and then explain why he's not gonna be there from now on. Either he dies, or he goes into space.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Dunno. I'm not seeing a Superman look from him but that could change when we finally see him in costume.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Bad choice, a really poor casting decision. First of all he doesn't even look the part. His feautures are nothing like Superman's and he doesn't even slightly look like any version of Superman. And second and final thing, he is a poor actor. The way he plays in Teen Wolf is abominal and I couldn't stand a single scene he was involved in.

I am disappointed. Majorly.

DrMirakuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not like that casting. His facial features seem to sharp and aggressive to play a Clark Kent..maybe Bruce Wayne

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk....he's definitely more Dick Grayson/Jason Todd to me but.....

...he doesn't look too bad, especially in that last one.

Hypester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think he's close to the ideal young Superman.

I don't think the ideal young Superman should be one with 12 years experience though, so that's weird.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe he can pull it off.

He's got the looks to pull it off and in some ways the personality to also pull it off.

If Melissa Benoist is pulling off maybe the worst Supergirl I've ever seen. Tyler can't do worst than her.

Drumgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dude needs to pull it off for two episodes. You people are so petty.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dunno. I'm not seeing a Superman look from him but that could change when we finally see him in costume.

Well here it is. Tell me what you think?

No Caption Provided

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like all the other 'bad' casting choices, I'm gonna wait and see his performance.

Honestly thought I don't really care for the Supergirl tv show(which really saddens me) so while I have some level of indifference towards it, i hope they deliver a good Superman. One who's more confident and charming than the Jimmy fricken Olsen they got on that show.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285 said:

Well here it is. Tell me what you think?

No Caption Provided

Hmm... Except for the belt, it does look cool. I specially like what they did with the cape. It seems they made it so to explain why the cape doesn't move around more during flight.

Also I believe there's something missing on the sleeves of the suit. Some minor detail like in MoS or New52 suit. It's simply too much blue.

Although the suit is the least of my worries. Tyler nailing the character is way more important. Seeing I highly dislike Melissa, Supergirl. She's so boring and dry... The whole show sucks out the imagination of the viewer.

Knight101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me put it this way. When Melissa Benoist was cast as Supergirl I was very, very skeptical. I hadn't seen Melissa in anything before the TV show (never saw Glee) so I never got to see her act. To me, Melissa had the wrong hair color and didn't even look like Supergirl to me. But I was willing to give Melissa a chance. I watched the pilot episode with an open mind. And even though I'm still not happy with the hair, I fell in love with Melissa's superb performance as Supergirl. I was very, very impressed with Melissa's acting ability and playing duel identities. A dorky Kara but with a confident Supergirl. The showrunners definitely made the right call casting Melissa as Supergirl.

So, what does all this have to do with Superman? Simple. It's the same story here. I am very skeptical of this (so far) TERRIBLE casting choice. I believe Tyler has the right facial features and he looks good in that suit, even if the suit is ugly and could have been a LOT better than what the showrunners went with. But Tyler is far too short to play Superman and he's not muscular enough for my tastes either. Tyler's age doesn't bother me that much since Kryptonians have slowed aging (a fact, most fans miss). I'm sorry, but Jimmy Olson should NOT be taller than Superman. *Shakes head*

But, I keep telling myself that I was skeptical of Melissa's casting choice as well and when I saw her performace, I fell in love with it. I am now of the opinion that Melissa's Supergirl is much better than Helen Slater's Supergirl. So, with Tyler I will give him the same chance I gave Melissa. If Tyler's performance as Clark/Superman is good enough, I can forgive the height and build issues. With that said, I look forward to seeing what Tyler does with the role and from the news I keep hearing, I'm liking what I'm hearing because it sounds like his Superman will be a MILLION times better than Cavill's Super Fake ANY day.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knight101:

from the news I keep hearing, I'm liking what I'm hearing because it sounds like his Superman will be a MILLION times better than Cavill's Super Fake ANY day.

If Tyler manages to nail the character ot will be good enough and you can count your blessings. Because a million times better than Cavil's Superman... It seems your skepticism was switched off when you wrote those words.

Last time I checked it was Snyder messing up Superman. Cavil's been doing the best he can with very poor choices that are out of his hands.

Glad you liked Melissa, Supergirl. Because honestly I can't stand to watch her for five minutes. Melissa, Supergirl is by far the weakest version of Supergirl I've seen in over a decade. Her personality is downright irritating. Sometimes her dorky attitude can almost be confused with someone that has somekind of a mental disorder.

The simple fact she can't even detect problems on her own, using her senses, makes it even more difficult to watch such a poor excuse for a character that as offered so much more in comics. She's almost an insult to the comic book character. Kara never needed to act like she lost a few screws in her head to be able to be herself and still maintain a secret identity.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d9d9eeb8d82
    deactivated-60d9d9eeb8d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoechlin Superman has really grown on me. I like him.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no 4 years a go it seems. But he has been doing good. I like him.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

David Corenswet is the perfect choice.

But since I've lost hope on WB casting and making a good and constructed DC/Superman Universe, I don't even care anymore.

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.