Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is their anyone who doesnt like superman and why?

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By DH69

i dont like him, cause im biased...yep thats my excuse

Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#202  Edited By Dark King
    i used to like him as a kid as an adult not so much. i guess b/c his stories never change, he has a few good ones where he is shown to be more interesting like someone said Kingdom Come was a great story. the problem with Superman stories is that it is the same story over and over with a different villain of the week. no matter who  Superman is fighting he will always reevaluate himself and realize he was simply holding back and is more powerful then his opponent and will eventually overpower his opponent. now i know there are exceptions to this but it is not the norm, so ppl can stop trying to find holes in a person's opinion by referencing else worlds, retcons and even far and in-between stories that are different
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I like superman, like lots of the stories he's in

even if there are a lot of bad superman stories out there too. But that's true of most long running series.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By ssejllenrad

Been a superman fan the most of my life. 

Why is it than when other heroes get super powerful they're cool but when Superman gets even a fraction of the power-up he's lame? Look at Odinforce or Rune King Thor. Look at X-man. They receive generally positive reception. But when Supes holds a blackhole in his hands he's so illogical and boring. Some people are just so biased.

I agree though, there are pretty lame story arcs of Superman.

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By CylonDorado

I probably like Superman because I've mostly just seen him in animated stuff, and havn't had time to get bored with this bad writing I've been hearing about.
    grimlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By grimlock

superman is a very obvious concept...alien stronger than the average human being. tight red pants on a blue outfit?...please.  serious color clashing right there. the guy looks nowhere near to real. i think superman should be redone its not a cool concept

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#207  Edited By IrishX

I don't like Superman.  

The best thing about him is the way Bill broke him down in Kill Bill vol. 2.

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By MKF30

Kill Bill? I didn't see that second one. 

Anywho, I know a few people who hate him...haters.. lol but me personally I love Supes. Without him, you wouldn't have your Justice League, X-Men, Spider-Man and so on and so forth.... 

Supes set the template and paved the way for comics, period :) I think everyone has to respect that despite how you personally feel towards the character.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By IrishX
    @MKF30:
    In Kill Bill he basically talks about how Clark Kent is Superman's costume and how it makes him different then every other superhero. Also how it's Superman's view of humans in general. An interesting idea thats for sure. 

Personally I'm just not into Ultra powerful characters.
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By CylonDorado

I think he's got a solid concept. If he didn't people would have forgotten about him some time in the last century :P.

CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By CharlieJade
    @hdorman1 said:
    " badly written,overrated,overpowered,and has a legion of idiotic fanboys that claim no-one can beat him  also sa superman was the biggest load of sh1te ever written "
    gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By gunjin

i don't like him and i used to hate him, but i don't know if i can properly explain it. i agree with a lot of the other's points. i like characters that i don't know whether or not they will win usually. i don't think its superman's powerset even more, just his iconic status. he can't lost just like he can't change, at least not for long, because he has to meet fans and the public's expectations. he's not allowed to evolve or break character. i almost feel bad for the guy more than anything.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#213  Edited By Primmaster64

I love Supes and his recent stories have been interesting.

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Hoboseid
    @CharlieJade said:
    " @hdorman1 said:
    " badly written,overrated,overpowered,and has a legion of idiotic fanboys that claim no-one can beat him  also sa superman was the biggest load of sh1te ever written "
    "

and one of the worst reboots in history
    Superman Returns sucks
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#215  Edited By Dracade102

I really wish this thread wasn't bumped...

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Hoboseid said:
    " @CharlieJade said:
    " @hdorman1 said:
    "
     and one of the worst reboots in historySuperman Returns sucks "
    That wasn't a reboot.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By entropy_aegis

This is the most disgusting thread i've ever seen in my time on CV,i feel contaminated by even entering it.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " This is the most disgusting thread i've ever seen in my time on CV,i feel contaminated by even entering it. "
    Why? Cause of all these Superman nuthugging? Yeah. They're quite disgusting them fanboys.. Nyehehehehehe! Kidding.. :p
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By reactor

I only get bugged by people's complaints when they are hypocritical about it or when they don't explain their dislike. Sadly, this is almost always die hard Marvel fans that have either never picked up a Superman or DC comic in their lives, or had only done so a decade or so ago.

For example; "I hate supes he's so lame!" "He's too overpowered!" "He's too goody goody!" See? No reason as to why he's lame. Is it his name? Because frankly, names of popular characters like Doctor Doom and the Thing (really all characters associated with the FF) are way cornier and lame. Is it his costume? Usually people direct this at his undies on the outside, yet Doom, Cap America, Magneto and Wolverine (his costume, like most X-Men, changes constantly, so it may no longer be relevant) all do the same. Those who say he's overpowered can be seen practically groveling at characters like Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, Phoenix, and a heck of a lot more powerful characters.

It's usually either ignorance, outright bias, or just ''haters gonna hate'' syndrome. Every once in a while, you'll find someone who genuinely gave the character a chance and still doesn't like him, and those are the only ones I respect in that regard.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#220  Edited By Kallarkz
    @Reactor said:
    " I only get bugged by people's complaints when they are hypocritical about it or when they don't explain their dislike. Sadly, this is almost always die hard Marvel fans that have either never picked up a Superman or DC comic in their lives, or had only done so a decade or so ago.For example; "I hate supes he's so lame!" "He's too overpowered!" "He's too goody goody!" See? No reason as to why he's lame. Is it his name? Because frankly, names of popular characters like Doctor Doom and the Thing (really all characters associated with the FF) are way cornier and lame. Is it his costume? Usually people direct this at his undies on the outside, yet Doom, Cap America, Magneto and Wolverine (his costume, like most X-Men, changes constantly, so it may no longer be relevant) all do the same. Those who say he's overpowered can be seen practically groveling at characters like Silver Surfer, Hulk, Thor, Phoenix, and a heck of a lot more powerful characters.It's usually either ignorance, outright bias, or just ''haters gonna hate'' syndrome. Every once in a while, you'll find someone who genuinely gave the character a chance and still doesn't like him, and those are the only ones I respect in that regard. "
    All hail. So true
    Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Lord Doom

I don't like Superman, I guess you can say I don't have any real feelings toward the character since I haven't read that much.He's a pretty generic superhero.I respect the idea of Superman and what he means to DC and all he as a character represents for this country and for the superhero archetype.When choosing characters I like I am usually drawn to those with a unique ability or background story and since Superman is pretty much the logo for "superhero" there have been a ton of characters that have taken from him.So even though he's the original I just find that other creators have taken traits from Superman and attached them to more interesting characters.That's not to say that Superman isn't or can't be interesting..I just have a hard time really getting into the character.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#222  Edited By Mercy_

Vanceeeee

Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Lord Doom
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Vanceeeee "
    What?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#224  Edited By Mercy_
    @Lord Doom said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Vanceeeee "
    What? "
    I was just surprised lol. I think this is the first time that I've come close to agreeing with everything that you have to say. 
    Lord Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Lord Doom
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Lord Doom said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Vanceeeee "
    What? "
    I was just surprised lol. I think this is the first time that I've come close to agreeing with everything that you have to say.  "
    Oh :)
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By entropy_aegis

This is the first time i've come close to disagreeing with EVERYTHING Vance has to say. 
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @sonicsucks12 said:
    "

Because he's out of style or fashion with a era of more political incorrectness and free moral speech, Super man is just to ideal and straightmanish to be a competitor to heroes of today which consists of killers, avengers, and cynics. Superman however is the lynchpin of these branches of fictional hero variety, he's the god of superheroes and mythos. Plus Super Man represents God in a Mans clothing and people hate perfect symbols of omnipotence and perfection. Not that I'm saying The last son fo kyrpton is god, but he holds himself and the sake of his life higher than anyone in comics based on who he is and has to be. The Perfect Hero.

I am neutral to the character, I don't like how he is always better as a person than other heroes and is always a standard for the critque of human beings. It takes a whole lot more to delve deep into a human being true capcity for good and promise, Sometimes a Hero who acts like a human being first should always make himself a better person first than being a person who is already better, that just comes off as condencending. Clark never has to make amends meet for himself because he's already a stand up person with good old fashioned moral values and a rightous heart. I also hate how God Modish and facist he has to come off as according to Jo rel, "people have to capcity to do good but show them how it's done". He comes off as Jesus then, not a person with his own idividuality which makes him unrealatble and boring.

But he kinda has the right to be all these things, he's the one who came first. He's Super Man he's the main key to a janitors door of endless possibilty of super heroic adventures. So I;m grateful to him.

"
    Too much critical analysis but I agree.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

People stop w/ the "overpowered" theory, marvel fanboys use this without looking at Sentry and Gladiator.

KZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By KZR

Sometimes the writing isn't good. I mean one minute Superman is the man of steel then he's being slapped in the face with a rubber chicken.

You have to admit that this is quite funny.
    You have to admit that this is quite funny.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @comicdude23 said:
    " People stop w/ the "overpowered" theory, marvel fanboys use this without looking at Sentry and Gladiator. "
    It's understandable if the person saying he's overpowered feels Batman should be the standard of being a "superhero". Understandable, still not forgivable.
    jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#231  Edited By jointron33
    @TruePwnge:
    I'm tired of this. How are we morons? Because we like a character that simply does the right thing cuz he can? Hu isnt an emo, psychotic lunatic hu is far more unrelatable than superman will ever be? fans say "hulk's better, thor's better" but they never say that these guys are overpowered! How are we morons??!!!! Cuz we don't like all fo our heroes to come out of some garth ennis or frank miller cespool? cuz we like a guy hu's generally nice person? y is that so boring? especially nowadays in the flood of batman, deathstroke, punisher, and cable knockoffs?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Primmaster64
    @jointron33: Easy, they fail at common sense.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By entropy_aegis

Okay now i'd like to say a few words about the random nonsense which people were throwing around back in the day.

Some said that Batman has villians who overpower him,this has to be the most ridiculous statement i've ever heard,almost every batvillian who can effectively challange Bat's has been written out his rogues,Bane,Deadshot,Ivy etc when was the last time Bat's faced them?Joker has been mostly threatening in Morrisons run,that's about it.Ra's is the only consistent villian.

Now Brainiac,Lex and Zod in the last 3 years have done more to prove themselves as proper menaces as compared to morons like Hush,Penguin,Riddler etc who have done absolutely NOTHING.

Then there's the overpowered argument,sorry but this is just garbage coming from butthurt people.They would prolly love it if their favourite character got sudden powerups.

He's unrelatable sure but who CARES,Batman is'nt relatable,Wolverine is'nt so either.He is'nt supposed to be.

Finally some said that Cap America is the better hero,sorry am a huge Cap fan but this is not true,none of us can count on Cap to save the day but we can all count on Supes.

Long story short GET OVER IT.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#234  Edited By Gambit1024

I get that people don't like Superman. But at least people should respect the idea. Every single one of your favorite superheroes has something in common with Superman and it's a little hypocritical to bash Superman and speak so highly of a different hero. And if this is about being "not relatable" then just get the heck over it. You have a problem relating to an alien sent here from a dead planet, but you can relate to a billionaire playboy who dresses up as a bat with a teenage sidekick? Grow up. 

Didn't mean to offend anyone, but I think it's just stupid to hate the character in general. Because of Superman, the great superheroes of today probably wouldn't even exist. 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Primmaster64
    @entropy_aegis: * Applause*

@Gambit1024:
    And that's how we end it...Now lock the thread.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#236  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Primmaster64: lol
    Avatar image for superboyrocks13
    superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#237  Edited By superboyrocks13
    @Primmaster64:

i only like superman because there is a superboy other than that i dont like superman
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Primmaster64
    @superboyrocks13: Superman was once Superboy before Connor. So you like Superman in that sense.
    crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#239  Edited By crazy8504

Most of the reason why I don't like Superman have been pretty much summed up all ready by people on this discussion. However the main point that nobody seems to ask, but I want to know is. If the radiation from kryptonite is what weakens superman than how come so much exposure from this lethal radiation has not cause him to have develop some kind of cancer or a tumor growth. I am supposed to believe that something that is deadly and can weaken him with such a small amount in close proximity to him and he has not develop any kind of physical damage from such prolong exposure. For the love of god nobody better mention about the other different kinds of kryptonite that had been created and have different effects on him, because really WTF? I mean instead of finding original ways to defeat him you come up with red kryptonite.  I would love to see a story arch were superman has to go through chemo, than again how would they remove the tumor if his skin his so impenetrable would they use kryptonite medical utensils. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#240  Edited By PowerHerc

I like him.

Superman is one of the all-time greats (DC's greatest, as a matter of fact)

I don't care who knows.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @crazy8504: That's actually a bad argument. Radiation doesn't equal tumor. It's all about random ionization of DNA molecules. I guess you could also attribute it to his healing factor but he really hasn't had any long term exposure to kryptonite anyway. 

@jointron33 said:
    I'm tired of this. How are we morons? Because we like a character that simply does the right thing cuz he can? Hu isnt an emo, psychotic lunatic hu is far more unrelatable than superman will ever be? fans say "hulk's better, thor's better" but they never say that these guys are overpowered! How are we morons??!!!! Cuz we don't like all fo our heroes to come out of some garth ennis or frank miller cespool? cuz we like a guy hu's generally nice person? y is that so boring? especially nowadays in the flood of batman, deathstroke, punisher, and cable knockoffs?
    I know it was a while ago but thank you for this.
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By gravitypress

Superman himself is not bad. But I don't like how DC handles him. Send him to Dark Horse or Marvel. DC just throws powers at people.

vprvnmsrt10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#243  Edited By vprvnmsrt10

Superman and Batman and Spidey and Cap are the pillars and legends within the Comic book world. I love the character. You can't not like him.

I will agree that the recent Superman stories have been quite bad.

So my answer is:

Do I like Superman? YES

Do I like the recent stories? NO

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@jointron33 said: 

I know it was a while ago but thank you for this.
    ...my God this is awesome, COMPLETELY agree, since when does being a good guy equal being a bad character??

i will always be on team Superman!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I think Superman's okay. I like people without powers better though, since it's more of a challenge to beat their opponent.

crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By crazy8504
    @Kal'smahboi: I have a valid argument even if its random he has been in exposed multiple times and long enough to warrant having physical ramification. you did however bring up another point why does he need superior healing if he is also invulnerable and or indestructible. its pretty redundant IMO like if somebody could actually hurt him by overcoming the density of his skin they then he can heal the damages faster than normal.  I mean sure Wolverine is the same in that respect but he was given his adamantium skeleton not born with it and it doesn't make him unkillable just makes it much harder than before he had it. Not to mention it hinders him in fights with people like magneto who actually rip his metal out of his body and it all most kill him.
    crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By crazy8504
    @The Stegman: in regards to the hulk its not so much that he his to powerful that people like him or in at least for me. Its that Bruce Banner is not in control of the hulk and he doesn't want to be the hulk and everybody hates the hulk because he can't be reason with. That is why they sent him off planet earth because they could not deal with his rampage any more. with Thor well he is a god so yeah of course he is powerful that's what a god supposed to be. if they had superman be a god from another realm that is one thing, but alien from another planet with god like powers just hurts my head.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @crazy8504: but i think what the other person meant with the Hulk is, he is VASTLY over powered, especially due to the fact that technically he's still a human, he beats gods, cosmic beings, survives in space and survives nuclear explosions yet you don't here people complaining about him being over powered. As for Thor, yeah he's a god, but is a so called "mythological" god deciding to come live among mortals and help them any more far fetched than an alien living among humans? at the end of the day, this is still comic books, you have to suspend your disbelief or else none of it makes sense, like how   bruce banner should have gotten cancer from that much gamma ray exposure, or the Fantasic four should have died from those cosmic rays, etc, to me, if aliens do exist, whose to say they won't have powers similar to superman?
    crazy8504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By crazy8504

I won't argue that the Hulk is vastly overpower but what makes him compelling is not because he is overpower but mainly because he is a force that no one can control and nobody wants around. you don't call the hulk to help save the day and help save people life, but if you see the hulk you run for you lives and hope you don't get in the middle of what he is facing. I am never expecting him to save somebody from a fire or from falling from a building you have other people for that. I also understand that you are right FF and Bruce should be dead and just like you said I except that they got there super power from that what should have kill them, because, ay the end of the day its just a comic book. I just enjoy good concepts and storyline that are not predictable, not redundant or not rehashed over and over again (unless its a different time line to or starting from scratch from a series)  It just pains to read Superman because he is their  deus ex machina when all else fails you call superman and he will always win. not saying hulk isn't one either, but he is more like we try everything else so lets pray to god the Hulk can do with as little property damage as possible.

hey I can except an alien that is vastly superior than humans living on earth and protecting, but when you are that powerful and that much greater than all the other race out there why is earth the only place you give a dam 99 percent of your time. I mean if krypton was such an advance race and superior beings to all other then why the hell are you just protecting earth, because you are raise by earth parent and installed good wholesome earth morals. seem kind of racist if you ask me saying that earth people petty crimes are more important than galactic peace. silver surfer may be a good guy and save the earth, but he also flies around the universe and helps other races and don't get me started on the green lantern.

The thing with Thor and being a mythological god is he is not living with the human for shits and giggles he learning and growing and finding out what it means to be what he is and the humans are the reason for that. It wasn't like he wanted to be on earth in the first place he was banished to the earth realm because of what he was doing in Asgard by his father Odin.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#250  Edited By Billy Batson

I like him :p 

BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.