Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman Un-American?

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Demas
    @PenguinDust said:
    " I don't think it matters because I don't understand how Superman could be an American citizen anyway unless the President gave him citizenship at sometime in the past.  Now, even if that did happen, Clark Kent is still an American citizen so whatever citizenship (or lack there of) Superman wishes to have is immaterial.  Perhaps this should be a trend and Green Lantern, whose responsibility is to a whole sector of space will give up his national citizenship, too.  Would that mean that Hal Jordan or John Stewart should follow that example?  If anything, this highlights the problem with vigilantism.  If superheroes choose to interpret right and wrong according to their ethics then those beliefs may not always coincide with the law or with a particular national policy.   "
    Superman's citizenship is a license acquired via the UN.  It doesn't do or convey anything more than basic legal rights which allow him to operate freely in the US.  Diana- an Amazon-, J'onn- a Martian-, and Arthur- an Atlantean- both have the same provisional US Citizenship to allow their citizen's arrests / JLA police powers in Washington, New York, San Diego, etc.  The League has similar citizenship globally.

So the U.N. granted citizenship isn't the issue and isn't relevant.  The reason people- and in the story the Iranian government- associate Superman with the US isn't because of the UN, it's because of Superman's historical actions... speaking primarily English, operating in an American city, being a charter member of the Justice League of America, etc.  This is why the story is stupid.  Superman is changing a legal status that no one cares about but not changing the relevant actions which make him "more American" than Wonder Woman or Aquaman or Martian Manhunter.  If he did the exact same thing in Tehran after renouncing his citizenship it STILL would be an international incident.

The reason the story is poorly told is because it's clear the result desired is a global Superman but the execution is absurd.  If you wanted to do what Superman did- take a flight to Tehran and stand in solidarity during a peace protest- you could do it all and without creating an international incident EVEN if you were an American citizen and EVEN if you were powerful / wealthy / influential... how?  SPEAK.  Just SAY "I have nothing to do with the U.S. government."  That's it!  And if they don't take you at your word, then what difference would renouncing your citizenship make in that situation?  By acting this way, Superman is basically saying that no one with citizenship can have their actions viewed as independent, which is more than paternal it's infantilizing.

Even if what you want is "global citizen Superman" this story doesn't give us that.  It gives us, "legal citizenship renounced Superman who still predominately attaches himself to Metropolis, speaks English, walks America over any other nation, and is by all appearances to those who care about appearances still American."  Which accomplishes what exactly?  Even if the point was to send a message, the story fails to do that... it doesn't talk about larger ideals and unity, only that people all get a mute Superman wrong so now he's picking the most illogical way to speak out against THAT.  Which is so unbelievably naval gazing it makes me sick.

Superman doesn't go to the UN to talk about the freedom to assemble and protest in Tehran!  ... He goes to talk about his OWN citizenship.

The story takes something that could have had meaning but jams it artlessly into a desired result.  The execution is antithetical to the ideals that champions claim it espouses.  There is no communication, no dialog- Superman is mute, Superman needs the NSA to hunt him down.  There is no transparency- Superman is mute, and when he speaks he talks about something irrelevant.  There is no activism or unity- Superman doesn't use his podium to talk about Tehran, and his intention is to condemn humanity as unable to separate his actions from his legal citizenship.  There is no truth- in FACT his actions were not state sanctioned but he's concerned about PERCEPTION, and in FACT he will STILL be heavily tied to the USA he is only legally renouncing his citizenship.  So it doesn't forward the ball in any of the ways that ACTUALLY MATTER you just get a facial result which people say means more than the story ever said it did.
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Demas
    @Trodorne said:

unfortunately he can't seem to make progress at being on his own cause the shadow of his adopted parents looms over everything he does.
    "

That's ridiculous.  By that logic NO citizen of ANY nation can do ANYTHING without being seen as an agent for the agenda of their nation.  That's patently absurd.

The way to disassociate yourself from your nation's agenda- if any- is simple.  SPEAK.  Just SAY you are operating independently.  And if you aren't taken at your word for that what relevance does changing your legal status have on those who won't accept your word?  They'll just see it as a deceptive gesture while you still act with your nation's agenda.

@Trodorne said:

" P.S. Didn't America blow up new krypton?
    "

Which proves what exactly?  By the same logic you could say, "Isn't Superman choosing to walk America?"  If he wanted to be a global citizen and experience the highest density of diverse global culture he could walk through Europe or South East Asia or the Mediterranean... but he picked America to be "grounded" even AFTER American "blew up New Krypton."  At that point, what does giving up a UN license that even an Amazon, an Atlantean, and a Martian have that is going to do anything to sway anyone?
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#153  Edited By Trodorne
    @Demas said:
    " @Trodorne said:

unfortunately he can't seem to make progress at being on his own cause the shadow of his adopted parents looms over everything he does.
    "

That's ridiculous.  By that logic NO citizen of ANY nation can do ANYTHING without being seen as an agent for the agenda of their nation.  That's patently absurd.

The way to disassociate yourself from your nation's agenda- if any- is simple.  SPEAK.  Just SAY you are operating independently.  And if you aren't taken at your word for that what relevance does changing your legal status have on those who won't accept your word?  They'll just see it as a deceptive gesture while you still act with your nation's agenda.
     If he is choosing to be independent than why should it matter. he feels he should drop citizenship. so why not let him go?
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By UnsolvedParadox
    @Doctor!!!!! said:
    "

He's the American Way!

But where his is Birth Certificate!!!!!!!

"
    Don't tell me you're one of those Spacers!
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Demas
    @Trodorne said:
    " @Demas said:
    " @Trodorne said:

"

If he is choosing to be independent than why should it matter. he feels he should drop citizenship. so why not let him go? "
    See, this is proof of the short-sighted result-orientated execution I was talking about.  "It doesn't matter HOW Superman goes independent so long as he's independent."

If you actually read my post, no where do I state that Superman MUST maintain his citizenship or that renouncing is inherently a bad thing.  The issue is HOW and WHY Superman is doing it.  The WHY I have discussed enough.  It's stupid.  He's renouncing on the basis of PERCEPTION not TRUTH and he's going it because he quits- he's tired- and he's given up trying to correct the perception (although in this particular story he doesn't even TRY, by remaining mute).  The HOW is equally stupid because it changes ONLY a legal status.  Superman isn't suspending his American walk, he isn't leaving Metropolis, and he isn't adopting a more global stance... he isn't doing ANYTHING AFFIRMATIVE... he's not going to the UN to speak out against oppressive regimes or freedom of assembly or press... he's going to act in negation, to say he's NOT something as a mere legal technically.  That's crap writing to be applauded only if you enjoy the shallow- but ultimately meaningless- result.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#156  Edited By Trodorne
    @Demas said:

See, this is proof of the short-sighted result-orientated execution I was talking about.  "It doesn't matter HOW Superman goes independent so long as he's independent."If you actually read my post, no where do I state that Superman MUST maintain his citizenship or that renouncing is inherently a bad thing.  The issue is HOW and WHY Superman is doing it.  The WHY I have discussed enough.  It's stupid.  He's renouncing on the basis of PERCEPTION not TRUTH and he's going it because he quits- he's tired- and he's given up trying to correct the perception (although in this particular story he doesn't even TRY, by remaining mute).  The HOW is equally stupid because it changes ONLY a legal status.  Superman isn't suspending his American walk, he isn't leaving Metropolis, and he isn't adopting a more global stance... he isn't doing ANYTHING AFFIRMATIVE... he's not going to the UN to speak out against oppressive regimes or freedom of assembly or press... he's going to act in negation, to say he's NOT something as a mere legal technically.  That's crap writing to be applauded only if you enjoy the shallow- but ultimately meaningless- result. "

WHY he is doing this is to be evident to other countries that he is focused on making the world a better place and not by force. he showed that in protest with civil disobedience, he showed up. he did not try to preach to anyone cause that would not get things done. he did not exert force against anyone who would try to harm him in any way. he is presenting the ideology of bringing about change from Gandhi (god rest his soul). WHAT he did accomplish at the end of that story was an example of a protestor giving a flower to the trooper in a sign of peace and he accepted. IF you or I went to the united nations saying yeah this guy is evil. 1. that country would either ban you or arrest you soon as you tried to enter their country. 2. Everyone would look down on you to say "who the hell do you think you are for declaring who is evil".

A man like Superman with his vast power can not just simply become independent and just start declaring people to be good. He has been and always will be an Icon for hope. and it is something people have to get for themselves.
    jonasLighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By jonasLighter

Only crazies make arguments over the citizenship of a fictional character.  If he were real, I probably would have an issue with this, but fictional charaters have no precedence in my (REAL) world.

RYU/BATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#158  Edited By RYU/BATMAN

Superman isn't american at all. He was born on Krypton for Jimmy's sake. He was never American,

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Superman is renouncing his citizenship and going global does that he mean is also renouncing  Lois Lane who is an american citizen for Wonder Woman who I suppose who is also not an american citizen and we don't have to deal with Lois Lane anymore? If so..I approve this storyline.

I know this is coming sooner or later

Green Arrow: So you're leaving the US?

Superman: Yes, I'm tired of this %#$

Green Arrow: You're retarded

Superman: What?

Green Arrow:You're just an attention whore. Always has been and always will. This is low and I thought Diana was nuts. 

Superman: How could you say that? Look, I was wasn't born on earth, therefore by default I have no ties to any country on Earth.

Green Arrow: Hey didnt you marry Lois Lane?

Superman: Yes

Green Arrow; What happens to a non-us citizen when they marry an American citizen?

Superman: That's is Clark kent not Superman

Green Arrow: Clark Kent, Superman. Who $%^ing cares? No matter how you sugarcoat it, you were taken in and adopted by an american family, you grew up under the american ideas, you was taught in american schools and even taken an american bride. America invested in you to be a person for America, you wanted to help the entire world is an added bonus. You are Clark Kent and Superman is Clark Kent's contribution to the world even if you wear an American designed uniform. You do this and you are spitting the face of John and what's your mom's name, Martha right?

Superman: You leave my adopted parents out of this!

Green Arrow: Huh? Leave your what? Your American adopted parents? You want to repeat that again Univeral Soldier?

Superman: *Falcon Punch*.... $%^$ YOU, Oliver! I'm Superman, bitch. 

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#160  Edited By Lvenger

I find it funny how most of us comic readers think this is perfectly fine and completely in Superman's character and then these American die hards like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRiofVXxEcE&feature=player_embedded

are making a big deal out of it. Get over your American loving ways and this is no offenese to Americans btw I just feel this guy is making too much of a big deal over it by linking this whole load of political stuff to it. Truth, Justice and the Universal way doesn't sound so bad to me.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#161  Edited By Lvenger

Oh hang on here's the video. The right one this time. Stupid me:

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ChadwickDavis
    @MysterioMaximus:
    And lets not forget the fact that despite all of this, his world is destroyed AGAIN, his people are virtually extinct AGAIN, but this time "we the people" payed billions (unwittingly of course) to Slaughter his entire race... and yet he's still here. 
    Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Demas
    @Trodorne said:

" WHY he is doing this is to be evident to other countries that he is focused on making the world a better place and not by force."

Are you kidding?  How does the most powerful being on the planet parking himself uninvited into an sovereign nation's soil silently without explanation NOT a show of force?  I suppose North Korea lining missiles up at the border is evidence of peace or that China's naval exercises just outside of Taiwan's waters are benevolent?  The way to make things EVIDENT is to SPEAK.  Just open your gob and SAY your intentions.  Descending upon nations against their will and unexplained is foolish, period.  Superman says this himself.  No amount of technical posturing in front of the UN is going to make such actions less inflammatory or subject to being misconstrued.  Moreover, Superman is STILL going to operate in Metropolis, STILL walking in the nation that blew up his kin, and STILL a Justice League of America member, so how does giving in to a wrongful perception he sparked going to improve any of that?

@Trodorne said:

"he did not try to preach to anyone cause that would not get things done. he did not exert force against anyone who would try to harm him in any way. he is presenting the ideology of bringing about change from Gandhi (god rest his soul). "

You really ARE kidding if you think silence is the solution and then cite Gandhi as an example!  Are you crazy?  Gandhi was one of the most outspoken and prolific preachers of his era!  He did everything possible to make his MESSAGE heard.  By contrast Superman is being bloodly mute and hijacking the relevant issue.  Instead of talking about government oppression, people are talking about his citizenship status.  Instead of being liberated to act, he's providing a tool of condemnation against America (so long as his concern is perception and not fact), where folks say, "See, even Superman's ditching!" without any more sophisticated analysis because Superman has chosen to be mute, unclear, and ambiguous.  If you want to be heard and understood you HAVE TO SPEAK.

@Trodorne said:
    " WHAT he did accomplish at the end of that story was an example of a protestor giving a flower to the trooper in a sign of peace and he accepted.

Again, that's a ridiculous analysis.  By not speaking, not being clear, and by showing up uninvited, Superman could have and did escalate the danger of the situation.  9/10ths of the people who showed up weren't brave enough- didn't have the conviction- to do it until he arrived... and even then not all of them understood why he was there even protesting him.  Had that broken out into a riot it would have been disastrous, nevermind the international implications.  That level of risk and potential catastrophe is NOT worth a single passed flower.  By contrast, using his WORDS could have accomplished far more WITHOUT the same level of risk.  If Superman plainly stated his intentions and origins, there would be no political incident (still international, but only by virtue of Superman being from America), there would be no confused protesters, and his protection would be clearly stated and enforced.  Whatever risks remained would not be any better in the situation where you show up uninvited and mute.

@Trodorne said:
    " IF you or I went to the united nations saying yeah this guy is evil. 1. that country would either ban you or arrest you soon as you tried to enter their country. 2. Everyone would look down on you to say "who the hell do you think you are for declaring who is evil "
    1. So what?  Convictions have consequences.  Are you saying that Superman should never preach and just show up unannounced and without explanation every time because THAT will prevent international incidents and banning?  Ridiculous.  In context, Superman was effectively ALREADY banned from going to Tehran.  And renouncing his citizenship isn't going to suddenly make the government invite him into their sovereign airspace / soil to protest said government.  That's why renouncing is stupid because it has NO EFFECT on the actual issue.  So you've confused the issue.  It has nothing to do with being banned / invited or arrest consequences.  The story itself SAYS the issue is perception.  So if that is the sole issue, then you or I absolutely could go there and declare our actions to be independent.  Why can't Superman?

2. You're kidding right?  Who better to have a global perspective than an alien?  Who better to speak about ideals than one who routinely represents them?  The point is that Superman HAS a platform, he HAS a podium, he HAS a spotlight to speak from... if you or I can't it's because we don't.  The comparison in inapplicable.  Superman absolutely CAN speak out against such things and HAVE weight.  All that said, if it WERE you or I, which exactly would seem to be more effective: using vast information technologies to spread a relevant message... or trying to invade Iranian airspace so you can join a protest... only to say nothing, do nothing, and unnecessarily confuse both the government and the protesters as to your intentions?

@Trodorne said:
    " A man like Superman with his vast power can not just simply become independent and just start declaring people to be good."

If not Superman, then who?  You have it entirely backwards.  His vast influence is WHY he can act independently AND be taken at his word.
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By -Vigil-

@Feliciano2040: I don't believe that America is the only the only country that thought of freedom, but not every country has the exact same ideals. Not every country has the same constitution, the same policies. If you can find me another country that has ideals and policies that mesh better with my own personal values, I'll begin preparations to move there right away. As it is though, every other country I've been to has more that I disagree with than the USA. I consider myself patriotic because I stand for the exact values laid forth in the constitution.

If an American decides that they like the ideals of another country more, that's fine. I only consider being unpatriotic a character flaw if they are actually against - or don't care about - the principles in the constitution (freedom, equality, inalienable rights, etc.). I don't think that I'm better than people in other countries just because I'm American. I just consider myself lucky to be born into a country with a constitution that I believe - in my own opinion - to be the best out there.

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By -Vigil-
    @Emerald Dragonfly said:
    " @-Vigil- said:
    " @Feliciano2040 said:

Dude, calm down, seriously.I'll never understand how some people from USA are ridiculously absorbed by their nationality, as if it meant anything other more than your citizenship status. "

It means a HECK of a lot more than just citizenship status. I'm not saying that the USA is the only country that matters or anything, but it was a country founded on principles, not on geography. Those of us Americans who consider ourselves patriots do it because we care about what our country stands for. And if we don't care about our principles, what's the point of anything, really?I mean no malice in this, just trying to explain. "
    I agree, but do You really think that You'll succeed if You'd go look for those principles on the streets now? Drinking, smoking, swearing, spitting, littering and common laxity all over the streets - this what moder world everywhere is. Sadly.
    Superman understood that it's time to create his own way of Truth and Justice and expand it worldwide as nobody would care about ideals that nowadays exist (sadly, too) only in words. I can even say that this might be his way of getting rid of any political connections and associations to the symbol on his chest. What he is about to show is that there is even a better way of behaving that the one people considered the best, and he is the one who invented that and who is about to become its spreader.
    "
    But where are we if we don't fight for those principles? If we say "Ah, forget it, this country is a lost cause" aren't we dooming it to be that way?
    Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-Vigil- said:
    " @Emerald Dragonfly said:
    " @-Vigil- said:
    " @Feliciano2040 said:

Dude, calm down, seriously.I'll never understand how some people from USA are ridiculously absorbed by their nationality, as if it meant anything other more than your citizenship status. "

It means a HECK of a lot more than just citizenship status. I'm not saying that the USA is the only country that matters or anything, but it was a country founded on principles, not on geography. Those of us Americans who consider ourselves patriots do it because we care about what our country stands for. And if we don't care about our principles, what's the point of anything, really?I mean no malice in this, just trying to explain. "
    I agree, but do You really think that You'll succeed if You'd go look for those principles on the streets now? Drinking, smoking, swearing, spitting, littering and common laxity all over the streets - this what moder world everywhere is. Sadly.
    Superman understood that it's time to create his own way of Truth and Justice and expand it worldwide as nobody would care about ideals that nowadays exist (sadly, too) only in words. I can even say that this might be his way of getting rid of any political connections and associations to the symbol on his chest. What he is about to show is that there is even a better way of behaving that the one people considered the best, and he is the one who invented that and who is about to become its spreader.
    "
    But where are we if we don't fight for those principles? If we say "Ah, forget it, this country is a lost cause" aren't we dooming it to be that way? "
    That's what I'm talking about. But when Superman does good things saying "for american way" which actually isn't here anymore in public, drinking and swearing modern youngsters say "yo man y'see Superman himself stands for us which means we are cool and everything our country does and we do is great and approved by the Man of Steel". Which is wrong. I think that Superman's ideals were not created or proclaimed by someone. And the fact that his parents were americans mean nothing. It just happened so that they were great people; they might as well have appeared as some good indian couple or etc. So I have to say that there is NO country that matches Superman's ideals. That actually is what we've seen him understanding in "Action Comics" #900. And that's what I'm very grateful for. This is really a good shift (while marvel-- sorry, shameless scum© comics are publishing omd and naked asgardians).
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By -Vigil-
    @Michiel76 said:
    But looking back at the last couple of years of foreign policy and can't help but think the america my grandfather told me about is long gone.
    If you're talking about foreign policy since the Obama administration started, I agree. However, many of us still believe in and fight to reclaim the America your grandfather told you about.
    Luzhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#168  Edited By Luzhell

I think Goyer is tried to remind us of the Watchmen in this number.  Remember Doctor Manhattan was first introduced as "The superman exists, and he's and American", even if the actual quote was "God exists, and he's an American".

Goyer is taking a less radical view than Moore, but the point is the same. When a individual of God-like powers is linked to an specific ideology and political agenda, is the sign for radicalism and abuse of power. Doctor Manhattan accepted it because he no longer cared about human events, but Superman still feels connected to humanity, not to an specific country, but the species as a whole, so he rejects to be a tool of the government to become symbol of true humanity.

That's why I applaud Goyer, taking an idea than only someone like Alan Moore is capable of tackling to it's full consequences.

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Demas
    @Luzhell said:
    " When a individual of God-like powers is linked to an specific ideology and political agenda, is the sign for radicalism and abuse of power. Doctor Manhattan accepted it because he no longer cared about human events, but Superman still feels connected to humanity, not to an specific country, but the species as a whole, so he rejects to be a tool of the government to become symbol of true humanity. That's why I applaud Goyer, taking an idea than only someone like Alan Moore is capable of tackling to it's full consequences. "
    What disturbs me is that you don't distinguish between ACTUALLY being a tool for the government and simply being PERCEIVED as a tool from the government.  You conveniently use the word "linked" irrespective of WHO is doing the linking, whether the link is FACTUAL, and whether or not Superman actually agrees with the link.  Such thinking is specious.

Comic books are linked to immaturity.
    Videogames are linked to school shootings.
    Religious belief is linked to school shootings.
    Superman's citizenship is linked to aggressive American state action.

I mean, really!?  The links here are NOT factual, NOT casual, NOT agreed to by the participants, and NOT even universally held.  If Superman shows up in London, the British aren't going to start air raid sirens for fear of American aggression or invasion.  If Superman does the same thing in Pyongyang uninvited, unannounced, and without explanation, it WILL be seen as American aggression NO MATTER WHETHER OR NOT Superman is legally, technically, an American citizen because he's STILL giving press conferences with an American English accent, still operating in Metropolis, still pals with Jimmy, and still a JLA founder.  So if the WRONG belief is held only by the WRONG people, why is it Superman's job to facially change only for them?

Comic books are linked to immaturity.  Let's say only Teachers say this.  Everyone else has a healthy understanding of the interaction between entertainment media and individual maturity.

So is the correct action in the face of what ONLY the Teachers are saying to declare, "Okay, I'm tired of Teachers construing my comic reading as a sign of immaturity so I'm going to stop reading comic books publicly... but I'm still going to read them in private."?  Isn't that absurd?  That's exactly what Superman is doing.  He's NOT ACTUALLY a tool of the government and no one except a select few think so, WRONGLY, so for THEIR sake he's going to renounce a legal technicality, but in FACT he's still going to hang out a whole lot in America, still bear that accent, still propagate compatible ideals, etc.

It's completely ridiculous and FAR from "tackling it's full consequences".
    Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Luzhell: FINALLY a man who understands. Thank You for Your opinion.
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By kadeem
    @Demas: There is a difference between perception and reality, this is very true.  The issue here is how using and manipulating peoples perceptions can have very real consequences.  While Superman is percieved as being an US citizen serving US interest, the US government can misrepresent Superman's actions as reflecting their authority and misrepresent Supes as their national weapon as a sort of means to assert more influence and power internationally.  By explicitly declaring himself a lone agent acting as a citizen of the world, Superman successfully neutralized the possibility of such actions.
    Luzhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Luzhell
    @Emerald Dragonfly: WOMAN who understands, actually
    Luzhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Luzhell
    @Demas:  

What is the difference between being and perceiving?

If the civilians of the DC Universe (remember we are talking about THEIR view, not ours) view Superman's action as a reflection of their government actions is the same is if Superman himself signed a contract saying he is a government tool?

How do they know what happens backstage? How do they know their hero motivations and goals?  The cannot know, they only what the press prints, and if the press construct his actions as a reflection of the government, that what they'll believe.

Who ask our real world's "heroes" why they do the things they do? Do you read the headlines in our daily news and wonder how much of that is factual and how much interpretation?

All human constructions (even facts) are submitted to interpretation. That is the postmodernist reality, whether you are comic book characters or an actual person is the same thing.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Jordanstine

I have no problem with Superman "denouncing" his US citizenship.  I'm American and yet I don't label Superman as strictly a US citizen. Like most everyone else I think Superman belongs to the world.

However...

The issue with this WHOLE issue is simply this:

Why even write about it?

It was a NON - Issue that became a big issue.

It was one of those things that you don't expect to read; something just catches you off guard, and you go "Huh? Where did that come from all of a sudden?"

Superman's citizenship is one of those things that generally people don't even think about openly. It's one of those things we know subconciously; keyword: subconciously. It's not like Superman is out there fighting crime wearing a Captain America outfit proclaiming to everyone that he's American.

No.

He just does his business (mostly in the US ironically, aside from outer space and/or other dimensions), and from time to time in other countries.

Like other fans from other countries have said, Superman's citizenship was never questioned in their minds. They just accepted who he is and is just glad to read about his adventures. Not only that, but they accept him not as a US citizen, but the World's citizen.

So there's no reason to really write about the issue.

It didn't help that Bin Laden's death came after but around the same time frame as this issue, especially when America feels so much more patriotic. Unintentional, but really bad timing.

Simply put it was a non-issue, that turned into an issue.

Just imagine if a story about Professor X was written where he denounces the functionality of Rogaine and he tells the reader that he is so sick of being bald. Why even write a story about this and basically hurt all your bald readers?

Again, why even write about non-issues?

This somewhat reminded me of a Batman issue where he proclaimed that he used to pee his pants in his Batman suit during his first few times as Batman.

I mean we all figured (again subconciously) that we can understand that normal human beings would be scared their first time too. But to even write about him peeing his pants? Why even write it?

Let them stay as non-issues.    

These kinds of things are better left not even written about.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#175  Edited By SC  Moderator

Are you an American Superman, or a American't? Though I have to say as a native of Smallville, I love how the rest of the country is trying to take credit for the hero we made! 

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By kadeem
    @SC said:
    " Are you an American Superman, or a American't? Though I have to say as a native of Smallville, I love how the rest of the country is trying to take credit for the hero we made!  "

No Caption Provided
    Just kidding, but for real I always wondered how big a deal is the Superman mythos in the real Smallville?
    TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By TheThe
    @Lvenger said:
    " Since I'm not American but British, one of the aspects that appeal to me about Superman is firstly th fact he is in a way the most human of us all, embodying all that's good about humanity despite his Kryptonian origin. Then there's the other fact in this article: the fact he is the world's protector not just America's. He belongs to the whole world not just America. His powers mean he should protect the entire world as well as America. Franky I welcome this news. Superman is a citizen of the Earth not just one country "
    This.Except the fact that i'm not british but gabonese.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#178  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @kadeem: Would be interesting. I am more of a Wonder Woman fan, so I would be more curious in what the women of Themyscira think of her. *smile* 
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Lvenger said:

" Oh hang on here's the video. The right one this time. Stupid me:

"
    "Siegel and Shuster....probably would be pretty upset about this."

Joe Shuster was Canadian. He'd probably be more than okay with it.
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By kadeem
    @SC: Yes, Diana definitely doesn't get enough respect.
    Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#181  Edited By Maki_P

I think it's cool that Superman is separating himself from the US government; and I don't think it's "un-american". 

You see, Clark Kent is an US citizen. He pays his taxes, goes to vote and does all those things US Citizens are supposed to do, he's just a man living his life as a good United-Statian. 
    Superman on the other hand is NOT a man, he's more than a man, he's symbol, of truth, of justice, of freedom and some other good stuff. He can't be associated with only 1 country, he belongs to the World. I don't read Superman comics, but I assume that's the message: Superman is a hero for the Whole World, not just ONE country. (Specially one like the US, no offense, it's just this end of US "aid")
    Kenjav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Kenjav

Maybe it's just that in his time (the 1940's) the "American way" was something noble, brave and worth emulating, and nowadays it simply isn't anymore. 

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#183  Edited By Maki_P

I think I was overly harsh before, The US is country of good people; unfortunately it's run by a lot of Evil People who want to take over the World. Which is way some of us are resentful. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be anti-american or anything like that.

On another topic, doesn't the fact that foreigns here are happy with the change says something about the "American Way" issue?
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By kadeem
    @Maki_P:I understand what you are trying to say.  Your criticizing the US government rather than the American people.  Its sad how people in my country don't understand the difference. Oh, I'm American by the way.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By MKF30
    Uhh lol, it's always good to show patriotism and for Maki, dude Clark Kent/Superman=same person. lol 

@Marshal Victory said:
    "

@MKF30:
    Well ya dc will get a boost of sales at 1st just like the death of superman which for many who understand the characters basic traits this feels as if its the same thing.But superman hasnt been a top ten saleing comic book in a long while.

One superman fan site i went to only two people had a problem with it.An they were mocked pretty badly for old fashoned ideals.Theirs nothing wrong with havieng ideals.But its been said by many it feels as if dc is rudderles again.

But if what was said about brightest day ending was true.. its rudder is stuck left it apears.Again i stand by my statment dc warner brothers does not deserve the characters ot has. Be it Captian marvel or Superman.

By the way that cover i posted was just from 25th of november of 2010 .An now their will be a small patriotic wave dc surely will not have superman ridieng to more sales.Could not have picked worse timeing if they tried.

"
    I hear ya, thing is with the DOS, you can bring him back....which they did. In this case, they can simply make this not canon/retcon it, reverse it with having him say "I was stupid for renouncing my citizenship" etc or something. Yeah I hear ya, my gripe with it is it's Superman making an anti-american move, no matter how you break it down you know? Superman, people forget only grew up in America, Kansas, Smallville, lives there...but who cares right? I don't even think he's a tool of the government like some people are saying, it's not like he works for them personally(I know he's worked WITH them at times) but not FOR them you know?

Yeah I know, the timing is horrific and like you said this reeks of liberal Superman. When he's not politicial for either way. When you make Superman of all people get political, you know you're desperate.

@Feliciano

"

Guys,Kadeem and Feliciano...you shouldn't assume things about people you don't know(example, I'm Mexican, Spanish American....my bloodline does NOT come from America by origin....) I'm also American a proud one and like Superman wasn't born here, but elsewhere so if anything I have a better idea then most already born here and I was also adopted myself, so aside from super powers and krypton I can actually relate to Superman in a few ways....everyone is entitled to their opinion here but I don't get how some people are saying "Superman isn't American" yes he is lol, when you come here from another country or in this case planet and live here in America, you must become a citizen(it's the law) considering his past of "Fight for truth, justice and the american way" yeah I say this is a dumb move regardless...
    dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By dvorak
    @Kenjav said:
    " Maybe it's just that in his time (the 1940's) the "American way" was something noble, brave and worth emulating, and nowadays it simply isn't anymore.  "
    I think this is the case. Also, Superman has always wanted to be the ultimate impartial arbiter of justice. He'll still defend the US to his death, if that's what he thought was the right thing to do.
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By kadeem
    @MKF30 said:
    Guys,Kadeem and Feliciano...you shouldn't assume things about people you don't know(example, I'm Mexican, Spanish American....my bloodline does NOT come from America by origin....) I'm also American a proud one and like Superman wasn't born here, but elsewhere so if anything I have a better idea then most already born here and I was also adopted myself, so aside from super powers and krypton I can actually relate to Superman in a few ways....everyone is entitled to their opinion here but I don't get how some people are saying "Superman isn't American" yes he is lol, when you come here from another country or in this case planet and live here in America, you must become a citizen(it's the law) considering his past of "Fight for truth, justice and the american way" yeah I say this is a dumb move regardless... "
    I never assumed anything about you personally.  Even if a person has been sanctioned as being a citizen of any given country (America for instance), the person's  being an American is only a legal status rather than an affirmation of their person hood.  It is dangerous to claim otherwise as forcing an ideological construct cuch as "Americaness" on a person, refutes the identity and individual freedom of a person.  Superman seems to understand that in the ultimate scheme of things that we are all interconnected and have the right to live freely as individuals in the world among other free individuals, regardless of of their legal status/nationality.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By MKF30

More so Feliciano then yourself, I just noticed you agreed with him so wanted to get that out there ;)

I totally get the whole American Citizenship is something that needs to be done for legal purposes, but if effects your personal life ultimately if you live here. That aside though, if it wasn't so much for Superman's famous quote and beliefs based upon it, this probably wouldn't be as BIG a deal as it is...but this move pretty much goes against the Superman way of "I fight for truth, justice and the American way" I think most Superman writers and Vintage Superman would never, ever agree to that. Just saying.

Thing is, Superman always loved the Earth whole and as his adoptive home planet but his personal home is Kansas, Smallville and Metropolis which are in America and the FOS of course being his other home away from home....

I don't think it's about nationality, as I've said though about myself I'm not native to America historically(most people aren't these days) but I'm proud to be a citizen. This move makes Superman pop into the political spotlight, something he's not about....
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#189  Edited By Kallarkz
    i actually really liked the change
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By kadeem
    @MKF30: I agree that he's not about politics in the sense that he doesn't participate in partisan bickering. In both word and deed he has always acted out of the interest of all humanity regardless of race, sex, religion, or nationality.  He has even come in conflict with governments including the US government in doing so. In acting as a guardian of humanity he is being very political.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#191  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Is Clark Kent still an American citizen?

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By kadeem
    @Gambler said:
    " Is Clark Kent still an American citizen? "
    Yes
    UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By UnosInfinitos

He has a fake citizenship as Clark Kent and never actually became a citizen as Superman so he's stil the motherfucking Superman. Except now he's making it official that he's an alien who wants to stand for truth and justice, it should be global thing anyway not just American.

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By kadeem
    @UnosInfinitos:I didn't know that, thanks.
    Captainthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Captainthunder

The writer David S. Goyer went to college at  the University of Southern California. He is obviously has liberal views and most likely a pacifist. I hope they don't let him anywhere near the new movie or any other comic book icons. DC needs to step up and start editing.

By the way the Mightiest (American) Mortal is still Captain Marvel!

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#196  Edited By Feliciano2040

@MKF30 said: 

I totally get the whole American Citizenship is something that needs to be done for legal purposes, but if effects your personal life ultimately if you live here. That aside though, if it wasn't so much for Superman's famous quote and beliefs based upon it, this probably wouldn't be as BIG a deal as it is...but this move pretty much goes against the Superman way of "I fight for truth, justice and the American way" I think most Superman writers and Vintage Superman would never, ever agree to that. Just saying.

Friend, do you know what an editorial mandate is ? Don't fool yourself into thinking the original creators intended for that to be his phrase, most likely (given how comics were thrice as nationalist as they are now) DC added the "...and the american way." simply to use the character as nationalist propaganda, I think that, like many others, the creators would never get mad at this given how one of them was canadian.

@MKF30 said:
    I don't think it's about nationality, as I've said though about myself I'm not native to America historically(most people aren't these days) but I'm proud to be a citizen. This move makes Superman pop into the political spotlight, something he's not about....

He is not political TO YOU, but to me ? Very much so, and to so many others, what you view as "that which makes Superman" is complete balloney to others.
    MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By MKF30

@Kadeem, I agree with you on that except for the last part, I don't think acting as a guardian means he's political since he's always done so yet hardly political. Superman/Clark/Kal-El has always done what's right, fair and about justice. Much of the way he was raised by the Kents who are American. If not for them who know how he would have turned out...in the past, he never got that involved with governments but just did what he felt was right.

@Feliciano, yes I'm well aware but do you know that Superman isn't about politics like...AT ALL? Historically speaking? Why alter something that's never been about the character to begin with? What's next? Have Superman endorse political candidates? lol It wasn't all about propaganda, it was also about Superman as the character or part of his character(literally, being raised by Kents from Smallville, Kansas defines a lot of what Superman/Clark is about) and why he believes in the stuff he believes in. Unlike say ohh Zod who believes in superiority since he's kryptonian, Clark does not even with all that power. But like I said, he's not about politics....and should remain that way. And you're assuming the creators wouldn't have an issue with it, perhaps one is canadian, but the other is american...

Well, perhaps some others have no concept of what Superman is really about or how he was raised.

@Captainthunder said:

" The writer David S. Goyer went to college at  the University of Southern California. He is obviously has liberal views and most likely a pacifist. I hope they don't let him anywhere near the new movie or any other comic book icons. DC needs to step up and start editing.By the way the Mightiest (American) Mortal is still Captain Marvel! "

Yeah I agree, I know others don't care but me personally as a Superman and fan of certain comic book, video game and movie characters some of them if not most of them should never get involved with politics or get political. It's just a turn off IMO

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Demas
    @kadeem said:
    " @Demas: There is a difference between perception and reality, this is very true.  The issue here is how using and manipulating peoples perceptions can have very real consequences.  While Superman is percieved as being an US citizen serving US interest, the US government can misrepresent Superman's actions as reflecting their authority and misrepresent Supes as their national weapon as a sort of means to assert more influence and power internationally.  By explicitly declaring himself a lone agent acting as a citizen of the world, Superman successfully neutralized the possibility of such actions. "
    This is weak reasoning because: 1) The government hasn't done that; and 2) If they did, transparency would defeat it... Superman merely has to SPEAK.  You list the sole requirement yourself "declare himself a lone agent"... guess what, you can do that WITHOUT renouncing your citizenship.  What exactly did renouncing accomplish that declarations would not?  Are the people in Tehran any safer?  Is Superman any less grounded to the continental US?

The story had only ONE high point, the flower passing, and guess what, THAT HAPPENED WHILE SUPERMAN WAS A CITIZEN!  Did the flower passer think Superman was there as an agent of American aggression?  Of course not.  The people on the ground can segregate Superman's actions from state action so why does Superman think so lowly of people that they wouldn't be able to tell?  Or that HE wouldn't be able to tell them?  So the American citizenship didn't affect his ability to intervene in Tehran ONE IOTA!  What, if anything, has been improved through renunciation?  Is he any more free to invade foreign sovereign soil?  Is Tehran any safer?  The ONLY thing that has changed is a convenient legal status, it's not like Superman has renounced America geographically or culturally, he's not moving out or speaking in a faux British accent.

The ONLY reason IN THE STORY (as opposed to invented by people applauding the RESULT) that Superman gives is the subsequent flak.  He doesn't say that American citizenship is a bad thing.  He doesn't say that America is bad.  He doesn't say he wants to be a more global hero or that citizenship prevents him from intervening (it certainly didn't stop him from spurring the flower exchange).  So if that's the only downside presented- mere perception- why not fix that by SPEAKING as opposed to the ridiculous hypocrisy of renouncing a legal status while enjoying the practical benefits and appearance of citizenship (again, living in the country, using its language and cultural norms, being part of the JLA, etc).  If Superman simply SPOKE then he could do all the same actions, avoid all the flak, and keep his citizenship.

So if the sole problem is perception, should Superman be behaving on the basis of perception alone?  OF COURSE NOT!  Lex Luthor PERCEIVES him has a barrier to human progress.  It is conceivable that a person gives up trying to achieve because the alien Superman exists and is prominent.  Does that mean Superman should hang up the cape just because someone MIGHT think Superman sets an unachievable standard?  Of course not.  By the same token it's ridiculous to preemptively revoke your citizenship because the government MIGHT try to claim you as an agent or that a hostile force MIGHT perceive you as an agent (all the while Superman is supposed to stand mute and not defend the accusations?).

The applauders, in general, are espousing a bunch of views which aren't actually expressed by the story and- even if they were- would be fairly insulting if you take them to their logical conclusion which is that no American citizen- or citizen at all- can act and be held as objective and independent of their nationality... which is patently absurd.  OF COURSE people of ANY nation can have disparate, dissenting, and independent thoughts and actions.  The close minded people who think otherwise AREN'T the people you should be catering to.  Moreover you retain freedom of speech to SAY what your positions are lest there be any confusion!

What is gained by LOSING citizenship?  American citizenship is almost entirely a bundle of benefits (with few to no obligations).  If you want to be multicultural, more global, etc. why not GAIN citizenship?  Why not actively attempt to adopt MORE nations showing respect for their legal processes and domains?  You can have dual or multiple citizenship.  How is being from nowhere more global than being from everywhere?

At the end of the day, neither the story nor the applauders have thought this out, it's merely a result that they're pleased with so they're glossing over the gaps in the logic of the story and the motivations of the character.  Here are 5 ways to get this result with a superior story:

1. Have Superman renounce his citizenship THEN go to Tehran.  By having all his grand actions occur UNDER citizenship it COMPLETELY UNDERMINES the point of renouncing citizenship.  It shows Superman can do whatever he wants no matter what his citizenship status and the only consequence is wrongful perception which he COULD correct, but in the original stupid story he sees as so overwhelming that he needs to give up and into the misperception that citizen = agent.
    2. Have Superman actively seek ADDITIONAL citizenship.  Rather than a NEGATION of American, why not AFFIRM globalism by embracing MORE countries.  Since American citizenship is mostly a benefits package, renouncing it accomplishes nothing but slighting America for the benefit of idiots who think citizen MUST equal agency and no amount of speaking to the contrary will change their mind.
    3. Have Superman FIGHT the misperception.  He doesn't like how the media are portraying him or how his actions are construed?  GET ON A MIC and SAY what you THINK.  That would give us a story where Superman espouses the POSITIVE virtues of global citizenship, unity, human rights, etc.  With a wrong assumption in the air, have Superman shown as smart enough to perceive it, and diligent enough to FIGHT it, dismantling the absurdity of the citizen = agent myth.
    4. Have Superman ACT relevantly rather than naval gaze about perception.  You want a global Superman?  Just have a story where Superman intervenes into diverse nations and cultures, speaking through his actions, the wrongful interpretation of said actions be damned.  Why is Superman absorbed with the WRONG interpretation of his actions when they have no basis in fact, are easily shut down by speaking, and didn't stop him from acting in the first place?  Given that it's ACTION #900, why not simply have Superman ACT?  The story undermines its own premise that Superman can't act given that he did (see 1).
    5. Have Clark or Lois lay the groundwork.  This story is stupid because it revolves around a spontaneous incident which has NOTHING to do with citizenship.  The point is entirely muddled.  Is it about intervention or is it about citizenship, because the two aren't logically connected in the story.  DECIDE what you want the story to be about and then do it RIGHT / legally.  If it is about intervention, the tell a story of how Clark and/or Lois exhausted every legitimate avenue FIRST - which enables Superman to act globally OR is forced to intervene outside legitimate avenues.  If it is about citizenship, then have Lois and/or Clark actually EXPLORE that... see what the obligations, benefits, perceptions, opinions, and realities of all of that is and follow that to its logical conclusion.  If you want a story about BOTH then you need a situation where citizenship ACTUALLY LIMITS Superman's actions, the Tehran incident didn't stop Superman from acting AT ALL!
    Gordon Kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#199  Edited By Gordon Kelly

Superman is both Canadian superhero and American superhero.
    Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Lion_Heart22

So they're gonna ask him for his "papeles" now? Maybe other heroes would complain that he's stealing their jobs heh, he really is an illegal alien.
    People demonstrating against Superman over this are simply and flat out ignorant. He wants to be the hero that can represent Earth and every person in it, not just Americans. I mean, he is still as American as you can be after all, he is an immigrant who made the U.S his home, the same as every American person, except for the Natives of course. People forget, nobody except for the tribes are natives to America.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.