Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman relevant?

• 56 results
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Primmaster64

Why so much supes hate?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ssejllenrad

People hate Superman because he's not cool. I admit to that even though I'm a Superman fanboy to the core. It's true, he's not cool. He's awesomeness is limited to comics (and even there he get's a significant amount of hate). Translating him to other media is not impossible but ultra hard. With the exception of  DCAU (which is basically still closer to comics han real-life), I haven't seen a decent Superman film, series, or game in years. That's all because he's not cool. 

As I said before, he's not cool, he's epic. He was cool but he's beyond that no. Epic is for all times and not constricted to the likes of a certain generation or a certain taste. Cool things loose their charm after some time. If they live out beyond their coolness then they become epic. Though some retain coolness due to constant updating of characters. Look at it this way. Lord of the Rings is epic, Twilight (iiiieeeeew!) is cool (for a certain group). Another example, Beethoven is epic, Justin Bieber (iiiiiieeeew again!) is cool (again for some groups, I'm a teengirl hater hehe).

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I like Superman as long as its Justice League related. I havent read anything from his solo series since back when Jim Lee drew a couple issues.

El Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#54  Edited By El Bread

Its funny that this thread came up because I was at work the other day and I was helping a lady find some jibbitz (decorative pegs that people put into Crocs shoes) for her young son.  She asked me where the superheroes were and I pointed them out, and she picked up the "S" shield and said he doesn't know Superman.  I found this to be a little shocking, but when I had time to think about it I realized how much Superman has faded out of the mainstream.  I do like Superman, but like any superhero, he's only as relevant and how well he is presented.  The biggest problem with Superman is that he came along during a simple time where characters did not the complexities that make them relateable and thus more appealing to the reader.   He's an alien with virtually limitless power.  Most people want to see another person, one with flaws and weaknesses,  one who is not guaranteed victory, hence the appeal of Batman, Spiderman or more recently Iron Man.  When the right writer and director can present him an a manner that is appealing to everyone, he will be relevant again.  

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Gambler said:
    " I like Superman as long as its Justice League related. I havent read anything from his solo series since back when Jim Lee drew a couple issues. "
    tisk tisk
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman will be relevant as long as their are superhero's and supervillian's.
    He is the absolute by which all others are measured.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.