• 56 results
The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The Jeff

do you think that the character has a purpose, like he once did?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Annoying small children dress up as him for Halloween. Other than that, no.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Primmaster64

That's cold bro...

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The Jeff

but true

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@The Jeff said:
" but true "
No it's not it he is a symbol of hope, responsibility, friendship, and turning the other cheek. He is the American dream that an immigrant can go on to be The World's greatest hero. Or a kid from a small town with small town morals in the middle of know where that was always treated as an outcast and freak can go and get married and have an awesome job in the city and marry a beautiful woman he has more prevalence than Spider-Man and pretty much any super hero for that matter
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By doordoor123
@The Jeff:  Hes the hero that most superheroes base their sense of justice after. Without Superman there wouldnt be a justice league.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Caligula

superman is still very much relevant, I actually believe he is more relevant now than before. with all of the global crisis, he is kind of what we all inspire to be, we all wish we had the power to save people from natural disasters, or topple a tyrant (like George B. Bush). and superman can do all of those things. he gives the average joe something to strive for, while we may not be kryptonian, and gain  supernatural powers from the yellow sun, we can make a difference in our economy which is badly failing.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@InnerVenom123 said:
" I still think what I thought, but whatever. I mean, Superman isn't relevant NOW, but he was. Batman is more relevant now... and he's always been far more bad@$$. "
How is Batman more relevant than Superman Batman's struggle is nothing an average citizen could ever experience as well Batman's views on life and his beliefs are way more far right while Superman is more left and the world is batting left 
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
" I still think what I thought, but whatever. I mean, Superman isn't relevant NOW, but he was. Batman is more relevant now... and he's always been far more bad@$$. "
How is Batman more relevant than Superman Batman's struggle is nothing an average citizen could ever experience as well Batman's views on life and his beliefs are way more far right while Superman is more left and the world is batting left  "
Okay, not relevant, my bad. Lol, I just like Batman more, sorry. >_>
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
How is Batman more relevant than Superman Batman's struggle is nothing an average citizen could ever experience as well Batman's views on life and his beliefs are way more far right while Superman is more left and the world is batting left  "
Okay, not relevant, my bad. Lol, I just like Batman more, sorry. >_> "
It's all good son, Superman bashing just has always gotten on my last nerve
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Are any of the superheroes truly relevant?
Maybe the X-men but other than that I'm not so sure.

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The Jeff

Batman is better, Superman is just not cool. He doesn't translate well onto film, his ideals are stuck in the past and if you can't tell Him and Clark Kent apart then, wtf
@Son_of_Magnus
The bashing will continue as long as I see fit, get used to it

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Primmaster64

I really don't get the whole Superman hate thing...

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Caligula
@Gylan Thomas said:
" Are any of the superheroes truly relevant? Maybe the X-men but other than that I'm not so sure. "
the X-Men have always been about equality, and really as far America goes, there isn't really a lot of segregation anymore, the only real oppressors a Extreme Right Wingers, and Extreme Christians. other than that there is a whole lot of racism or sexism an longer. and that makes the X-Men less relevant than Kal-El. Kal-El is the embodiment of what every american wants to be.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caligula
@The Jeff said:
" Batman is better, Superman is just not cool. He doesn't translate well onto film, his ideals are stuck in the past and if you can't tell Him and Clark Kent apart then, wtf @Son_of_Magnus The bashing will continue as long as I see fit, get used to it "
so you made this as a spite thread, and not as a legit question. you sir are fail
The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Jeff

nope, not as a spite threat, just a thread to weed out the fans like you

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By joshmightbe

if you want to know how relevant superman is you need look no further than this site back when everyone was panicing cause they thought dc was going to lose him.
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@Caligula: 
I'm not so sure.
The idea behind the X-men will always be relevant. Unless the world some how turns into some kind of global utopia.
I can't speak for American but I know racism still exists. With the war in the middle east too many people are turning on Ethic groups for that area.
I'm aware attacks on homosexuals are on the rise in Britain. 
The X-men are all about ttolerance and acceptance.

I understand the idea behind Superman but more often than not it doesn't come across well in the stories. It's kind of lost in the general Superheroics.

I hope this thread wont degenerate into every one just standing up for their favourite character.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Caligula
@The Jeff said:
" nope, not as a spite threat, just a thread to weed out the fans like you "
first of all you must not know me, I have been on the Vine for a long time now, and anyone can tell you I'm not a Superman fan, but I'm also not a hater. he is what he is and that sir is an American Icon like it or not
The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Jeff

anyway, Superman hate is not necessarily hate per se, just a feeling that he's overstayed his welcome. someone earlier said he's the reason that superheros are heroes, well the model T is the reason that we have the modern car (to a certain degree), now how many are still being driven around today?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By danhimself

from what I've observed over my many years here is that anyone who bashes Superman hasn't read Superman....the Superman family of books has been some of the best writing coming out of DC for the past few years now...the only problem is with events like Blackest Night and the upcoming Return of Bruce Wayne the Superman books haven't gotten a chance to shine yet

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Caligula
@Gylan Thomas: 
I'm not defending Superman, I'm just saying how I feel. you brought up the X-Men and I spoke on my opinion. and for the record my favorite hero is Batman.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Caligula
@danhimself said:
" from what I've observed over my many years here is that anyone who bashes Superman hasn't read Superman....the Superman family of books has been some of the best writing coming out of DC for the past few years now...the only problem is with events like Blackest Night and the upcoming Return of Bruce Wayne the Superman books haven't gotten a chance to shine yet "
i agree. I'm looking forward to Bruce's return though.

But I think all of these Superman Bashers are going to have their feet in their mouths when the War of the Supermen arc hits.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@The Jeff: Your an idiot
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@Caligula: 
Sorry. Didn't mean for that to come off snipey.   I suppose I've just seen people not really explain a point they're trying to make quite often.
I'm a Superman fan myself but I do feel that quite often any relevance there get's lost.
In the same way I'd say when the X-men go into space and such the meaning behind  the X-men is lost.
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By The_Martian
@danhimself said:
" from what I've observed over my many years here is that anyone who bashes Superman hasn't read Superman....the Superman family of books has been some of the best writing coming out of DC for the past few years now...the only problem is with events like Blackest Night and the upcoming Return of Bruce Wayne the Superman books haven't gotten a chance to shine yet "
Guilty as charged when I joined the site :P

Superman is an icon, regardless if you like him or not. He represents what people view as a real hero.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danhimself
@Nobody said:
" @danhimself said:
Guilty as charged when I joined the site :P  Superman is an icon, regardless if you like him or not. He represents what people view as a real hero. "
I just don't believe that it's fair to set back and judge a book or a character until you've actually read at least one arc from the book
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Caligula
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @Caligula:  Sorry. Didn't mean for that to come off snipey.   I suppose I've just seen people not really explain a point they're trying to make quite often.I'm a Superman fan myself but I do feel that quite often any relevance there get's lost. In the same way I'd say when the X-men go into space and such the meaning behind  the X-men is lost. "
no problem I got ya. I just thought you were saying i was only defending him because he was my favourite (ans that's far from the truth). and I explained fairly well what he represents, ans why what he represents is still important and relevant in today's society.

but I also see what you're talking about.
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29  Edited By The_Martian
@danhimself said:
" @Nobody said:
" @danhimself said:
Guilty as charged when I joined the site :P  Superman is an icon, regardless if you like him or not. He represents what people view as a real hero. "
I just don't believe that it's fair to set back and judge a book or a character until you've actually read at least one arc from the book "
I totally agree.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Ya Superman can be a total badass he has chewed out Batman and othe league members on multiple occasions threw people into the sun cursed villains out lobotomized villains. Not to mention he is a complete hard ass as Commander El

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The Jeff

@Son_of_Magnus: You are a tool, Stewie is much better than you at everything including arts and crafts and the guitar, you have no friends.

Anyway, I do read Superman,It took a college class on him (at Michigan State University) wrote a paper on him etc. I just think that the character which is impervious to everything makes it less entertaining for me .And it's a time where America we  don't need that type of an idealistic character. Superman was great for depression era kids but today he just falls a few yards from being relevant

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By danhimself
@The Jeff:  where do you live?  this is a depression era!!!!!
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@The Jeff said:
" nope, not as a spite threat, just a thread to weed out the fans like you "
@Caligula: 

Wow!
I'm impressed. Good ole bullying on a web site. Doesn't get much better.
Superman's like any other fictional character. He's as good as the creative team working on him. The values he's supposed to represent aren't out dated or stuck in the past. They're all still there and important to most people.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Caligula
@The Jeff said:
" @Son_of_Magnus: You are a tool, Stewie is much better than you at everything including arts and crafts and the guitar, you have no friends.

Anyway, I do read Superman,It took a college class on him (at Michigan State University) wrote a paper on him etc. I just think that the character which is impervious to everything makes it less entertaining for me .And it's a time where America we  don't need that type of an idealistic character. Superman was great for depression era kids but today he just falls a few yards from being relevant "
that right there speaks in and of itself if a college had a class on him, then that means he is still relevant. and Culturally appreciated. you just helped attack your own opinion.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@The Jeff: Who the hell is Stewie? I don't play guitar and everything you said is an obvious lie or else you would realize that he fits into modern society perfectly. he is not boring he has a very interesting and screwy life with allot of problems and real life situations and he is not impervious he is not even the strongest member of the JLA he never really was. You are just feeding off a stereotype and going with the flow and don't know what your talking about so you just b@tch. 
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Caligula
@Son_of_Magnus said: 

not to mention he hurt his own argument, by saying a college he went to had a class on Superman. Seriously I think that makes him more relevant than most. I mean how many other fictional heroes are studied in college?
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Caligula said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:   not to mention he hurt his own argument, by saying a college he went to had a class on Superman. Seriously I think that makes him more relevant than most. I mean how many other fictional heroes are studied in college? "
He also has a real life city dedicated to him Metropolis Illinois I think it was 
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Caligula
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Caligula said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:   not to mention he hurt his own argument, by saying a college he went to had a class on Superman. Seriously I think that makes him more relevant than most. I mean how many other fictional heroes are studied in college? "
He also has a real life city dedicated to him Metropolis Illinois I think it was  "
that's pretty awesome, I know in Kansas they have a parade and festival for him cause I went there for it a couple years ago.
The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The Jeff

ever watch family guy? guess not.
and @Caligula: I should clarify, the class wasn't exclusively on him, he was just a part of it. and in the paper that i wrote (and got a 4.0 on it) I argued that he no longer served a purpose that he once did

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@The Jeff said:
" ever watch family guy? guess not. and @Caligula: I should clarify, the class wasn't exclusively on him, he was just a part of it. and in the paper that i wrote (and got a 4.0 on it) I argued that he no longer served a purpose that he once did "
Proof or it didn't happen
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Caligula
@The Jeff said:
" ever watch family guy? guess not. and @Caligula: I should clarify, the class wasn't exclusively on him, he was just a part of it. and in the paper that i wrote (and got a 4.0 on it) I argued that he no longer served a purpose that he once did "
well then that teacher must not be very intelligent, because you haven't argued your case here very well at all. as a matter of fact i think pretty much everyone here has proven you wrong at every turn. not a good debater are you?
The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The Jeff

no, he's an intelligent man, I'm just trying to do like 4 things right now .

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

OMG IT"S KLANDICAR ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Caligula
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" OMG IT"S KLANDICAR ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! "
what ever happened to Klandicar, i miss tha boy :( j/k
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Caligula said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" OMG IT"S KLANDICAR ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! "
what ever happened to Klandicar, i miss tha boy :( j/k "
Me too =[
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Primmaster64

War Of The Supermen

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The Jeff

I like Klandicar already

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CylonDorado

Relevant? Like, affects real life relevant? Probably not. But that's not really a big deal, I mean come on, what comic book character is?

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The Jeff

Spider-Man

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By warlock360
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @The Jeff said:
" but true "
No it's not it he is a symbol of hope, responsibility, friendship, and turning the other cheek. He is the American dream that an immigrant can go on to be The World's greatest hero. Or a kid from a small town with small town morals in the middle of know where that was always treated as an outcast and freak can go and get married and have an awesome job in the city and marry a beautiful woman he has more prevalence than Spider-Man and pretty much any super hero for that matter "
lets see what a mexican has to say to this, anyone for that matter. Just curious.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.