Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman Average?

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe I'm not up to speed on current (or more recent) comics where this might be known, but...

Does anyone know if Kal El is even an average specimen of a Kryptonian male? We might have gotten stuck with a Kryptonian weakling with a learning disability for all we know. :)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HighAccuser

Superman like all Kryptonian men is average.

However when stimulated by Lois or even Wonder Woman or even the occasional female associate it soars to new heights.

At that point its no longer average. And Lois can attest to that fact.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to think he's as average as any 6'3, well built and physically active farmer would be. Only he has powers to compliment his natural physique. So, relative to a 5'9, slender kyrptonian male, he's a physical beast. However, relative to Non, he's not. Of course, this is ignoring the difference in solar absorption. Sometimes writers account for, sometimes they don't.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think during you reign of the supermen story the eradicator stated that he was a perfect krytonian specimen. So no he's not average, whatever that means.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is definitely not average.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I doubt it. Even if he is physically, he's from a line of geniuses basically lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeee927346fb
    deactivated-5aeee927346fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kal is not average, quite the opposite actually, canonically he's the strongest Kryptonian. It's been stated he's is the most physiologically perfect Kryptonian specimen and he regularly overpowers others of his race, or performs feats that would by considered impossible for another Kryptonian to accomplish individually, like pulling Darkseid from the Source Wall (it took five different Supergirls to accomplish the same when he was trapped).

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darkhoudini: Isn't that due to the fact that he has been exposed to a Yellow Sun for longer? I mean, on the New 52 Zod was slightly below, if not equal to him on their first encounter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekinfing: I guess it's a combination of several factors; first off we have the actual in-comic reasons such as the fact that Jor-El's and Lara's genetic patterns were verifiably deemed to be the strongest on Krypton (as Kelex states in my last scan), or that he indeed has been exposed to our yellow sun's radiation for far longer than pretty much any other Kryptonian, as you pointed out. And finally, the fact that he received a power boost after his death and subsequent resurrection, meaning he could have surpassed the regular Kryptonian limits, but I admit this might fall under the realm of speculation. Then we have the more "meta" reason of DC wanting to keep their top dog, well... At the top. And it makes sense, Supes wouldn't be that special if there were thousands of people with the exact same powers running around, now would he?

But that doesn't mean there haven't been more powerful Kryptonians, H'El is a great example, a clone of many distinct Kryptonian genetic samples who was exposed to different colored stars for 27 years while he drifted in space; but that had more to do with his exposure to different types of stellar radiation than his better physiology for example.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Invain

No, he is quite above average.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkhoudini: @blackagar: @buttersdaman000:

Thanks, y'all. This is basically the kind of thing I was looking for.

Just out of curiosity, I think I also remember reading something about the House of El being descendants of Ra? Could that also play a part in him being more than average?

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blackagar
    @scouterv said:
    @heroup2112 said:

@darkhoudini: @blackagar: @buttersdaman000:

Thanks, y'all. This is basically the kind of thing I was looking for.

Just out of curiosity, I think I also remember reading something about the House of El being descendants of Ra? Could that also play a part in him being more than average?

*Rao. Yes, It's been suggested that's the case. If it is true, not only is superman from a long line of geniuses, but he would also be part God, which would make sense I suppose lmao.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackagar: Wow I didn't know that, do you have any scans or an issue number?

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blackagar

@darkhoudini: It's quite vague. It could mean he jump started the evolution which wouldn't necessarily make him an ancestor, but seeing as he is a God, it isn't so outlandish to say he seeded life. Early Kryptonian's also worshiped him as a Creation Deity. The House of El has a close relationship to the God with one of them, the founder, if you will, creating the house of El after being with him or something. It's also apparently suggested that he had some influence of Kal-El's survival. God's will be God's lmao. It's quite ambiguous though. Also read Superman The Last God of Krypton for more information on rao.

No Caption Provided

DCencyclopedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe he is a descendant of Rao's

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.