Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Interview: Scott Lobdell on SUPERMAN, Existing Villains and Catching Speeding Bullets

• 92 results
    saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By saoakden

I read Scott Lobdell's work on Superboy and I liked it. I also read Red Hood and the Outlaws and Teen Titans. So I expect good things from Mr. Lobdell on Superman.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By modunhanul

I hope this will be better than recent Superman issues.

RoTheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By RoTheKid

I need to really check out his work. Guess I'll be picking up some issues of "Red Hood and the Outlaws"! :)

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Green ankh

GET RID OF THAT LAME ASS SUIT !!!

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Icon

Can't wait for H'el on Earth. We were promised a Super cross-over a while ago and I'm glad it's actually finally happening. :D

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By YMCMB

Sounds somewhat promising, hoping for da best

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Herx

Lobdell gets Superman! Yay! XD and with Kenneths artwork i might be forced to part with thoes pretty pennies that DC just seems to be draining from me every week :P

and G-man! Why wait till monday man! your teasing powers do not amuse me. As a form of protest im just gona sit here and look at my screen untill you put it up............. might get up to eat though :P

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Very much looking forward to this ... can't wait, in fact! I have a gut feeling it is going to be awesome! Bring it on!

I'm kinda hoping this villain he's talking about is an updated Bizarro, a lot of the heroes in the new 52 have been slightly updated ... it makes sense to update a few villains.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

Sounds good. I hope he does well. We really need a great Superman book.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By Mbecks14

I love Superman. He's the greatest character in comics. Which makes it so sad to see his book struggle to be interesting. This interview does nothing to excite me, I''m definitely interested in Superman facing big threats and re-imagined enemies but I don't trust Lobdell to do it justice.

Also, do we know what his take on Superman and Lois is? Will we please see Clark/Superman and Lois start getting back together?

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BatClaw89

who doesnt want to be superman? 

I don't want to be superman.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zdaybreak

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

But seriously, Kenneth is the best. His creativity is amazing, though he does sometime draw Jason a bit too girly.

Also, I can't wait for part 2!

Wait.

You're withholding information from me, CV! How could you?!!

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By Jekylhyde14

This sounds like some fun and I agree with Scott 100% about how relatable Superman is. I'm looking forward to this run. I still wish Grant wasn't leaving Action Comics, though.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

AWESOME COVER.

Can't wait.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ratman19

i hope this is good. superman needs it. that H'el guy seems like a pretty cool new 52 version of Bizarro.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By KnightRise

<----^will be picking up Superman

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By RScottH08

I think it could be a new version of Bizarro.

This is the cover to the Superboy issue that month. I noticed the "S" on H'el is backwards.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RScottH08

Ok, I know I just said that I thought it was Bizarro cause of the "S" being backwards and all. But a friend of mine reminded me that Superboy prime had carved a S on his chest. I still say Bizarro though.

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#69  Edited By LeaderVladimir

This looks interesting. Superman really needs a big story arc.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SandMan_

He needs a good Big Arc.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71  Edited By Zeeguy91

For some reason, I'm really excited about this. I mean, I'm not particularly liking what Lobdell is currently doing on Teen Titans, but I have to admit I enjoyed it up until a point. It only started to go south for me the closer we got to the Culling.

However, after reading this, I really feel that Lobdell understands Superman. Maybe he's just the guy to give this series the kick in the pants it deserves. And I have to say that Rocafort's art is just incredible.

Btw, interesting new character in H'el. I know some people here are saying its either a new Bizarro or Superboy Prime or could even be a new Zod, but I'm kind of hoping its none of the above.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By Zeeguy91

@SandMan_: This could be good. I'm not saying that it def will be, but it could be. We'll just have to wait and see.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SandMan_
    @Zeeguy91 said:

@SandMan_: This could be good. I'm not saying that it def will be, but it could be. We'll just have to wait and see.

I hope so. Superman deserves it and needs it.
    Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Sovereign91001

@BatClaw89 said:

who doesnt want to be superman?

I don't want to be superman.

Well Congrats on being THAT GUY.

xxYoungFatexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By xxYoungFatexx

I hope Lobdell does well. However, if another controversial incident like with Starfire or Northstar happens, I will not buy another thing he writes. Heck, if Superman becomes homosexual, this will be the last DC comic I will ever read. Please, my fingers are crossed that he will not ruin one of my favorite heroes as he has done another one of mine.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sovereign91001

@xxYoungFatexx:

1.) There is zero chance of that happening, absolutely zero

2.) Lobdell didn't make Northstar gay, Bryne intended that from the start but Marvel wouldn't let him say so, it's even on his website. Read up on your favorite characters history dude because posts like that make you sound ignorant.

xxYoungFatexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By xxYoungFatexx

@Sovereign91001: Before you begin the ignorant statement game, please read my statement again. Nowhere did I ever write or state that Lobdell wrote or made Northstar gay. “If another controversial incident like with Starfire or North Star happens,” does not say anywhere that he made him gay. Maybe, you implied the later part of the sentence. Lobdell is a great writer, but the amount of controversial stuff he has done in such a short period is almost Moore like (Actually, probably not even close). I love Moore (Who has shown he can write things well without being too controversial or having too much controversial things at times) and I like Lobdell (Who I have yet to see that from), but I do not like the utilization of controversial stuff so causally to elevate a story, which seems to follow these two men.

I'm not going to respond with a smart-alike response here, but please refrain from these silly bait games.

Edit: Now, before you begin to wonder why I would edit my previous post, it was to fix the space between "North Star" I accidentally left, not change anything else. I might as well make it clear that neither the characters I mention in that post where the ones I thought he ruined. I thought it would be better to clear up some of my statements since you like implying things.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#78  Edited By doordoor123

Oh man, I hope Lobdell doesn't take my Kryptonite epic. It sounds exactly like it.  
    There could be a whole mythology behind Kryptonite that I think needs to be explored. 

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I like that Mr. Lobdell said 'Hogwash'.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By sethysquare

@xxYoungFatexx said:

I hope Lobdell does well. However, if another controversial incident like with Starfire or Northstar happens, I will not buy another thing he writes. Heck, if Superman becomes homosexual, this will be the last DC comic I will ever read. Please, my fingers are crossed that he will not ruin one of my favorite heroes as he has done another one of mine.

He won't make Superman gay because Superman is not gay. He has been known for his iconic relationship with Lois Lane. DC and Warner will never allow anyone to make Superman gay.

But controversial, sure, I'll bet that there will definitely be controversial stuff. Like it or not. It just wont be Superman being gay.

xxYoungFatexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xxYoungFatexx

@sethysquare: I am sorry if I have to point it out or if I was unclear. I was not serious whatsoever about Superman becoming homosexual. However, by that same logic, we could argue that a version of Spiderman would never be black, especially not being Peter Parker. Spiderman has always been iconic for being Peter Parker and his tale. However, here we have Miles Morales.

“DC and Warner will never allow anyone to make Superman gay.”

I believe DC and Warner will do anything for their companies to succeed. What company wouldn’t?

“He won't make Superman gay because Superman is not gay. He has been known for his iconic relationship with Lois Lane.”

Are you telling me that many of the now homosexual characters were originally planned to be homosexual when created? I did not know that, but if you did, please tell me how you knew. Also, please tell me how you can tell a character is gay or not when different things are added into the medium every week? If a writer (With company approval) wanted to, they could make a character “come out the closet” or announce being bisexual the next chapter, and of course there will be backlash, but no one could stop them from doing so, except refusing to buy the stuff. It is impossible to tell if someone is gay.

Now, this topic is not over Superman coming out of the closet, but Scott Lobdell's take on Superman. I apologize if I may have offended anyone or took the topic of course. One thing that I am excited about is that Lobdell is actually planning to do something different with preexisting characters here. Alongside Rocafort, he is going to add a dynamic yet controversial approach to classical characters. However, this is where my problem is. I am not a huge fan with how Lobdell characterizes characters. In my opinion, they feel nothing like they were before, and even sometimes one dimensional. This is my opinion, not everyone's, but I think we all can agree, we all want another amazing, not decent Superman story.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FanofUltraman

I'm just waiting for Ultraman.

josai21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By josai21

Not sure why there is so much love for Lobdell. In my humble opinion he has ruined the Teen Titans, specifically Tim Drake, but his rendition of those beloved characters make me sick. Superman can take Lobdell as long as he is off the Titans.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84  Edited By sethysquare

@xxYoungFatexx: 1. Ultimate peter parker died and got replaced ny miles morales. Regular peter is still around.

2. DC wont scre around with their icons becayse there are bigger implications on movies. Im fairly certain Alan Scott and Northstar would never have a movie of their own. Neither aee they popular enough.

3. If you dont like his characterization, fine. Because they are different. Calling it one dimensional is wrong because he has made these characters very relatable and all with certain baggage and flaw and their experiences have shaped them to become who they are.

Xtremesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Xtremesteve

Anyone else think that they are drawing Superman to look a little too young?

xxYoungFatexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By xxYoungFatexx

Your opinion is just as valid as mine so please do not tell me mine is wrong. You say his characters are "very relatable and all with certain baggage and flaw and their experiences have shaped them to become who they are." However, I say some of his characters are “very relatable and all with certain baggage, flaws, and their experiences have shaped them” into people they never were. On the other hand, I feel other of his characterizations, maybe the characters themselves could be removed from his story and there will be no difference. Sometimes his characters are like walking plot devices with no importance or significance to any vital part of a story, except making a point or statement.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SandMan_

Hopefully Scott will use Helspont again. He has a lot of potential. And can still be use as a Superman villain.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Gotham331

I may not be canceling my superman subscription after all.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#89  Edited By Zoch81

sounds promising hopefully Lobdell will deliver the goods and I like to see he take on Superman as well villains and support cast look forward reading part 2 of interview.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#90  Edited By TDK_1997

Let's hope that Scott would make a good run.

Utandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Utandi

@FanofUltraman said:

I'm just waiting for Ultraman.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Putting Superman in front of a character who sees the most powerful person on Earth as little more than a pest? Did he never read the Coming of Atlas storyline a few years back?? I do like though how Lobdell called shenanigans on the criticism that Superman cannot be related by the fans because of his great power, which I wholeheartedly agree with. I'm looking forward to his Superman run, just as I am for more of this interview since it seems you will address the "never was Robin to begin with" thing. I shall stay tuned!

EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By EDfromRED

Great question and answer about Superman being a "boring" character. Scott Lobdell's answer was perfect.

Thezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Thezz
    DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DocFishstick

looks good I'm in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.