Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How would you feel if DC gave Superman a mask?

• 50 results
    Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been thinking about this recently and I realized that realistically Superman's Clark Kent disguise wouldn't work especially since he surrounds himself with reporters all the time. I understand that Superman doesn't wear a mask because he wants people to trust him. But, If Superman started wearing a mask, How would you feel about it?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

• Superman doesn't kill
    • Superman doesn't wear a mask
    • Superman loves Lois.

2/3 of the infallible laws of Superman are gone, so Johns will probably hit that number 3 in time.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unknown Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most other heroes wear masks an their city trusts them so I never really got that reason. But I wouldn't like it, they already took away his red undies. And he wouldn't look like superman as we know him

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Most other heroes wear masks an their city trusts them so I never really got that reason. But I wouldn't like it, they already took away his red undies. And he wouldn't look like superman as we know him

but they also have families. whats stopping a bad guy from going to their mother's house and cutting off her head?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

Depends on the mask, but my initial reaction is no. The best redesigns tend to lack a mask, so that's probably a widespread sentiment, but nothing's impossible:

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, this is my favorite Supes redesign on that site:

No Caption Provided

Something about the design of the shirt is both classic and new. The whole thing looks vaguely military and utilitarian but also "blue collar" to me. And I like the idea of Kryptonians having a more alien appearance than what we see, so the addition of a "true Kal-El" form is a good idea I think.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@eternal19: There's a reason he doesn't wear a mask. The idea is that since he's SO powerful and since he's an alien he needs people to trust him. How could they trust someone if they don't know what he looks like? It also plays into the secret identity. Everyone keeps asking "how does no one know Clark Kent is Superman? The glasses are just dumb!" BUT since everyone knows exactly what Superman looks like - why would most people even think he has a secret identity? They would just look straight past Clark as they have no expectation of seeing Superman walking around in a suit wearing glasses. He fades into the background.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MuyJingo

The Clark Kent is disguise is one of the more believable things in comics, largely because it isn't just about glasses...but everything. Body language, voice, attitude, temperament, clothing....everything.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sinestro_GL

Like a Robin Mask...or a Bane mask...or?

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: yes...yes...yes... whatever your saying right thereee

Avatar image for captainbritainftw
    CaptainBritainFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Dc gave Superman a mask there would be uproar I agree with eternal19

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@muyjingo: Right - which works especially because of the lack of a mask or covering of his face - no one even suspects it. Clark Kent is a nobody, that's why no one ever picks up on anything. Why would you go looking for traits or similarities or even notice them at all, when you have no need to. You know exactly who Superman is - you can see him.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

• Superman doesn't kill
    • Superman doesn't wear a mask
    • Superman loves Lois.

2/3 of the infallible laws of Superman are gone, so Johns will probably hit that number 3 in time.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman: @muyjingo: So, you're saying that if Barack Obama used the Clark Kent disguise it would work? I doubt it. The CK disguise wouldn't work in real life.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if it looked badass and covered the whole face.

eternalnature

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eye patch

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MuyJingo

@eternal19: Yes, it most certainly would. Obama with different hair, different clothes, different body language, different voice and manner of speech, glasses etc, out amongst every day people when most people think he is in the white house, would not be recognized. At the most, they might say he looks kind of similar.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I started laughing thinking of Superman wearing different Halloween masks. Go ahead picture Superman saving someone while wearing a Michael Myers mask.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MakkyD

@muyjingo: Hiding in plain sight is the most effective disguise. You'd never suspect your co-worker was superman and you'd feel stupid if you said he was. Most you could do would be to joke about similarities, like in Superman Returns.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: I don't believe that it will work. But I would like to see it happen

akrockefeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They might as well try it once just to show everyone it wouldn't work.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same way I would feel about him losing his S-symbol! Those are 2 defining qualities about him. You can change the color and design of the costume and Symbol, lose the cape from time to time (I get for most this probably isn't the case, just speaking personally and for situational reasons), but no mask and Keep the S!

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

NO.......Superman represents Truth and Justice. you can't represent ideals like these while wearing a mask.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO.......Superman represents Truth and Justice. you can't represent ideals like these while wearing a mask.

Well, you can't PROPERLY represent it, at least. The Lone Ranger stood for that...though, to be fair, people weren't as afraid of him because it was the West and he was a lawman.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#25  Edited By AssertingValor

Id take a mask over that rediculous cape anyday

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I honestly thought This suit looked pretty badass. Of Course if Supes were to wear a mask I'd only have him do it at the beginning of his superhero career. But eventually I'd still have him revert back to his old suit. It's timeless.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: Yeah Futures End suit was cool. I would be fine with that.

lol at comments above claiming CK disguise would actually work.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: Heh, that's funny. He is not even doing a disguise, no glasses looks the same and even wears a Superman shirt.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: That's the point. He's hiding in plain sight.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: It's probably because no one cares about the DCEU or Cavill. A real Superman who is constantly photographed and seen will have his identity outed in no time.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@rabumalal: Not quite. It's actually a multitude of factors of how only superman can get away with it. Why would he have a secret identity? Why pretend to be an average joe like Clark Kent when he could live as a god? People see his face and think he has nothing to hide. That he's superman all the time. Plus he's a pretty good actor. Not to mention Clark and Superman have been seen together on several occasions.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: Thought you were joking, do you really think the most famous figure in the world can just slouch, wear glasses, mess up their hair a bit and be a regular citizen? There will be so many people obsessing over his face that he'll be found out, not to mention any of the technological stuff. I guess Interpol, FBI or any other police agency shouldn't be able to locate any criminal. The real reason is that Superman was created in the 1930's when comics were goofy and didn't need to be believable.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By segamarvel
    No Caption Provided

@rabumalal: To be fair everyone only gives Superman trouble for that when that could work on essentially any superhero like batman or spider-man. There was an elseworld story where Superman was mearly a fictional character until one day a boy who was named after the character gained his powers. The government tried to find him many times and in the end were astonished that he was hiding in plain sight right with the exact same name as the fictional character. I mean is it really that big a stretch to say you don't have a body double somewhere in the world? Superman literally has robots that look like him so that he can be in two places at once. People will think about it. But depending on how smart he is they might be chasing their tails over it. Kinda like a game of cat and mouth with Light and L from Death Note. And if People do make the connection....What's to stop him from simply derailing that thought with some kind of overcomplicated/elaborate use of his powers or alien tech? Although if it really bothers you so much I'd then I'd just go with the idea that DC could give Clark Glasses that essentially act like NightCrawlers image inducer from the X-men Evolution series. Honestly wouldn't be that far fetched if this is superman with all his resources.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By helloman

It would not be the same. I would not like it.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman having his face open makes him Superman.

It's like Batman's mask not having pointy ears. It just ain't Batman no more.

Avatar image for masterskywalker
    MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be dumb.

harisch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

u ppl might agree with my assumption. it is

"Superman saved everyone of u ppl. after saving everyone, he even let u ppl take a selfie along with him(or with him). u ppl shook his hands while gawking at his face for few minutes. then u get a job of reporter in the same office clark kent works. it's not possible to notice a person's personality, physique at the very first moment since u ppl r human beings. so only thing u'll notice is his face at first. and then u think that of millions of ppl's faces u looked at, only his face resembles supmn the most. so then u analyse him by noticing his looks and behaviour. that's it!!!!! u conclude that he's not superman"

now these r my doubts

u ppl will never think that of millions of ppl u met (or looked at their faces in tv or on the road or parties or.........), only two of them look this alike, "there must definitely b some relationship between these two". and u'll never ask him about that? u'll never spy on him to find that relationship(if it exists)? that too just after your dream came true(meeting superman) and from that instant u even made that selfie as a wallpaper in your phone?

even if this scenario is non realistic it is very close to the original story. he works in a PRESS(THAT TOO BIGGEST IN THE CITY). AND EVERYDAY SUPERMAN'S HIGH DEFINITION PHOTOS OF HIM LAUGHING, TALKING, FIGHTING(EVEN WITH DISTURBED HAIR STYLE BECAUSE OF FIGHTS) FLOAT AROUND THE BUILDING. AND U PPL R SAYING THAT NONE OF THOSE PHOTOS MADE EVEN ONE PERSON IN THAT BUILDING DOUBT CLARK KENT'S IDENTITY?????????

still even if he wears no mask, y does he go through that much effort to disguise himself? y not grow a thick beard(or put on a wig) and put fake teeth and maintain his posture? and y work in press? or is he trying to save the world by making the press ppl laugh?

BabyDarkseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no but i want to see how superman looks in kryptonian armor including the helmet

giantmansolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silent film star Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest

he lost

seeing someone outside of the context you are used to, can make people doubt or even dismiss what they are seeing. overtime, as others said, clark just sorta of fades into the woodwork.

harisch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giantmansolos: in a contest u search for something exactly same, in daily life it doesn't matter. 50percent is enough to doubt the person's identity. why not!!!! when u look at a beautiful lady u instantly have deja vu that u've seen her somewhere. because some part of her body reminds of someone famous

Tidal_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Including his radiation/space suit, Kal-El has worn masks before. I see no problem as long as its only a temporary thing, which is always is.

LucianoC1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been a long fan of Superman, since I saw those wonderful re-runs on TV of Christopher Reeve's Superman 1 and 2 in the 80s! So, I guess in those years the idea of him not using a mask made Sense!!! But at the end of the 80s and beginning of the 90s I kinda started thinking It was ridículos!!! So I believe It would be a great idea!!! I like the idea!!!

LucianoC1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LucianoC1980

I've been a long fan of Superman, since I saw those wonderful re-runs on TV of Christopher Reeve's Superman 1 and 2 in the 80s! So, I guess in those years the idea of him not using a mask made Sense!!! But at the end of the 80s and beginning of the 90s I kinda started thinking It was ridículous!!! So I believe It would be a great idea!!! I like the idea!!!

LucianoC1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LucianoC1980

I've been a long fan of Superman, since I saw those wonderful re-runs on TV of Christopher Reeve's Superman 1 and 2 in the 80s! So, I guess in those years the idea of him not using a mask made Sense!!! But at the end of the 80s and beginning of the 90s I kinda started thinking It was ridículous!!! So I believe It would be a great idea!!! I like the idea!!!

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

No because it wouldn't make sense for the character. Superman is supposed to be the friendly and approachable superhero. Taken from Superman's very own Comic Vine page: "It all starts with that fact, exactly. Wearing no mask, he appears to have nothing to hide. Why would a being too grand and powerful as Superman live a normal daily life among the people he protects? In short, the general public believes Superman to simply be a strange being from another planet, no more. He has no secret identity to protect and lives as Superman all the time of every day."

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be weird and unnecessary. So no

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.