Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How is N52 Superman edgy?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Can someone explain that to me? I keep reading people calling him "edgy" and I don't know if it's a generation thing, but he's far from edgy to me. Can the people who keep calling him edgy post scans of this edgy Superman?

P.S. everything post 5 year time skip Superman does not count, you can only use Superman from Action Comics 8 to Action Comics # 32 (25 is also excluded), Superman 1-32 and JL post Origins. Those versions of N52 Superman are no longer in effect.

Post away.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Don't know don't care. New 52 Superman is my Superman.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

He's not written as naive as Pre-52 Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: Not for you guys, I'm talking about the guys I read on the Superman # 32 review who kept saying that it didn't read like a N52 book because it wasn't as "edgy" as other N52 Superman books.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: Not for you guys, I'm talking about the guys I read on the Superman # 32 review who kept saying that it didn't read like a N52 book because it wasn't as "edgy" as other N52 Superman books.

I know, and Im sure they will answer. But I don't care what the old timers have to say, I likes what I likes.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MakkyD

@superguy1591 said:

I know, and Im sure they will answer. But I don't care what the old timers have to say, I likes what I likes.

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Edgy also means to try to make something innovative but there isn't much innovation with New52 Supes.

I actually like him now that his titles are in good hands, but I know the reasons I didn't before:

• Looking at Lois' text, coming of as a jealous creeper and everything else Lobdell.
    • His relationship with Batman in B/S is idiotic and created to please the inferiority complex of the fanboys.
    • He fights before he thinks, JL: War is a perfect example.

Anyway New52 Superman had a rough couple of years and I definetely see why I didn't like him. He started getting shape though and with Johns, Pak and Snyder on the helm, he certaintly looks better.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@superguy1591 said:

No Caption Provided

They can do their worst

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Edgy also means to try to make something innovative but there isn't much innovation with New52 Supes.

I actually like him now that his titles are in good hands, but I know the reasons I didn't before:

• Looking at Lois' text, coming of as a jealous creeper and everything else Lobdell.
    • His relationship with Batman in B/S is idiotic and created to please the inferiority complex of the fanboys.

Anyway New52 Superman had a rough couple of years and I definetely see why I didn't like him. He started getting shape though and with Johns, Pak and Snyder on the helm, he certaintly looks better.

Sums up my thoughts exactly and I'll add everything that happened in the Superman title prior to Lobdell as other sources of bad, edgy new 52 Superman writing.

Though Pak does keep a slight edginess and brashness to the character that took me some getting used to. It's why I'll probably stick with Johns' Superman even after Doomed is finished in Action Comics.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: JL: War is mainly John misinterpreting Morrisons' early Superman as otherwise Johns writes a pretty normal Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

Sums up my thoughts exactly and I'll add everything that happened in the Superman title prior to Lobdell as other sources of bad, edgy new 52 Superman writing.

Though Pak does keep a slight edginess and brashness to the character that took me some getting used to. It's why I'll probably stick with Johns' Superman even after Doomed is finished in Action Comics.

Yeah, I get what you mean about Pak's Superman. While I like the characterazation, he feels like a newbie even though he is in the bussiness for 6-7 years, I wouldn't have a problem if he was a year 2 Superman. Overall I like his Superman in AC, because he tries to be positive and give anyone a second chance. His B/S though is another matter!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@squalleon: JL: War is mainly John misinterpreting Morrisons' early Superman as otherwise Johns writes a pretty normal Superman.

And? It was bad no?
    I don't give excuses to any writer. Bad characterazation is bad characterazation no matter who wrote it or why. If Johns felt he wasn't up to the task he should get some advice from Morrison since these two are actually pretty close as colleagues anyway.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Yeah, but it was a once off, you don't need to hold it against the entire characterization of the New 52 Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Squalleon

@maccyd said:

@squalleon: Yeah, but it was a once off, you don't need to hold it against the entire characterization of the New 52 Superman.

It wasn't just JL war, Superman was a mess until Johns came on. Also new 52 Superman has 3 years of existence in his back, that means that the 6 issues of JL and Superman's 31 issues are actually a huge amount of his showings and stories! And that is without adding the first two arcs of B/S.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because most people have no idea what the word "edgy" actually means.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MakkyD

@squalleon: Oh that's bad, I don't usually include Lobdell in the characterization of New 52, but you do remember that his handiwork is all over the character.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@maccyd said:

@squalleon: Oh that's bad, I don't usually include Lobdell in the characterization of New 52, but he his handiwork is all over the character.

You know it is bad when you figure out that Lobdell is the longest running writer in a Superman title since the new 52...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I posted this on another thread. It seems more relevant here.

Just wanna share my opinion on New 52 superman.

Personally i'm disgusted with how easily i was led astray by some of the viners here who dislike the new 52 superman. Normally i like giving things a chance but i broke out my pitchfork and torch with new 52 Superman. Then i decided to back and read my justice league trade paper backs and some of the other new 52 superman stories and i was astonished by what i found. He's not that bad [i can't stress that enough]. In justice league origin yeah he attacked green lantern and bats but only because they attacked first and he was curious to see what they knew. After realising they were fighting the good fight he had no trouble fighting alongside them. Throughout the book he was quiet but when he spoke people listened. The reason is perfectly summed up by the flash in book two and it is because he his charismatic. In throne of atlantis he saved people. I don't know why viners like Lvenger and others are saying he's stopped saving people when in said book as soon as he saw the wave was coming he jumped to people's rescue stopping the aircraft carrier. Yeah he doesn't talk as much but that's mainly because he's a more tactical fighter ending things quickly because he knows he can. He is not arrogant nor does he think himself over anybody. In fact the way he shows wonder woman why he likes being clark kent is one of the most heart warming things i've seen him do in a long time. Then we have the trinity war and the dreaded doctor light incident. First of all i implore people to pick up the trinity war TPB and read it throughly. Superman was that distressed because he thought he'd killed someone that he ended the fight between the justice league and the JLA and let himself be taken into custody. Wonder woman even said that he may not come back from it. Now we could have him spending the rest of his life brooding over it and thinking woe is me but rather he moved past it and is becoming a better hero. Yes he's recently killed doomsday but then what did he do. He showed his level of commitment to saving people and took all of the doomsday particles into himself and became doomsday's new prision. Personally i believe new 52 superman is going to surpass pre 52 superman and become a better superman in the same way i believe MOS superman will become better than Reeve's superman. It will take time but i'm sure it will happen.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's just bs. Hes still the same guy.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon:

1.) Meh, not really something I will defend. That wasn't a good part of the N52 character. The best part of Lobdell, Jurgens and Perez's run was Helspont, the heck happened to him?

2.) Nah, I like that. Batman is a tool to him, he reacts in the most human of ways and gets back at him.

3.)Probably the best thing about N52 Superman. He's headstrong, thus prone to mistakes, but is always willing to learn from it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

1.) Meh, not really something I will defend. That wasn't a food part of the N52 character.

2.) Nah, I like that. Batman is a tool to him, he reacts in the most human of ways and gets back at him.

3.)Probably the best thing about N52 Superman. He's headstrong, thus prone to mistakes, but is always willing to learn from it.

Hey @saint_wildcard see what I mean.

As for you @superguy1591 we have been at all these again, so just go back and check them again I guess.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: You just won't let my guy Pak be the best, right? I guarantee you that, post-Doom, he'll have the better book of the two. I love Geoff, but Pak is going to be better. I'm glad to have both though, hope they work on a crossover next May.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This. I've said it time and again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@superguy1591 said:

P.S. everything post 5 year time skip Superman does not count

I think you mean pre (or before), not post.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: You can wish all you want but based on Superman fans I've talked to on here, other online praise and critical reception, it'll only be you who clings to Pak's Action Comics as being written better. Whereas Johns' Superman might turn out to be another equivalent of Green Arrow, a polished turd that shines off all the nastiness of its previous writers. If disavowed New 52 critics are tempted by this issue, then that's ample evidence Johns is capable of restoring the classical tenants of Superman back to the character. Now he's not writing an angry, aggressive rip off from Morrison's Superman, Superman can start being the moral icon he's known for being and Johns is one writer who understands the core and heart of the character.

So, in essence, I guarantee to you that Johns' Superman will blow Pak's Action Comics out the water by far. I'm already liking the sound of it even without having read the issue whereas I never felt that way about Pak's Action Comics at all.

And for the record, you're the one who engaged me here feeling the need to defend your precious Pak. I do like his first Action Comics arc as it was a fresh breath of air. There is some nice characterisation in Superman and Lana. But that's all. Think of any other positives of Pak's run and you'll be hard pressed to do so. Besides, Superman should not be acting as brashly or as erroneously as he does. He's been a hero for 5 years now yet Pak writes him like he's only been on the job for 2. Pak started the ball rolling, now Johns will take over as the new flagship saviour writer for Superman. Not to mention that Unchained is superb too.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@superguy1591: Whereas Johns' Superman might turn out to be another equivalent of Green Arrow, a polished turd that shines off all the nastiness of its previous writers.

You don't like Green Arrow? Or did I misunderstood?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haters gon' hate

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@superguy1591: Whereas Johns' Superman might turn out to be another equivalent of Green Arrow, a polished turd that shines off all the nastiness of its previous writers.

You don't like Green Arrow? Or did I misunderstood?

Sorry should have made it clearer, my bad mate. I meant that Jeff Lemire turned one of the worst titles in The New 52 into one of the best titles and it seems Superman is receiving a similar treatment thanks to the transition from Lobdell to Johns.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally i'm disgusted with how easily i was led astray by some of the viners here who dislike the new 52 superman. Normally i like giving things a chance but i broke out my pitchfork and torch with new 52 Superman. Then i decided to back and read my justice league trade paper backs and some of the other new 52 superman stories and i was astonished by what i found. He's not that bad [i can't stress that enough]. In justice league origin yeah he attacked green lantern and bats but only because they attacked first and he was curious to see what they knew. After realising they were fighting the good fight he had no trouble fighting alongside them. Throughout the book he was quiet but when he spoke people listened. The reason is perfectly summed up by the flash in book two and it is because he his charismatic. In throne of atlantis he saved people. I don't know why viners like Lvenger and others are saying he's stopped saving people when in said book as soon as he saw the wave was coming he jumped to people's rescue stopping the aircraft carrier. Yeah he doesn't talk as much but that's mainly because he's a more tactical fighter ending things quickly because he knows he can. He is not arrogant nor does he think himself over anybody. In fact the way he shows wonder woman why he likes being clark kent is one of the most heart warming things i've seen him do in a long time. Then we have the trinity war and the dreaded doctor light incident. First of all i implore people to pick up the trinity war TPB and read it throughly. Superman was that distressed because he thought he'd killed someone that he ended the fight between the justice league and the JLA and let himself be taken into custody. Wonder woman even said that he may not come back from it. Now we could have him spending the rest of his life brooding over it and thinking woe is me but rather he moved past it and is becoming a better hero. Yes he's recently killed doomsday but then what did he do. He showed his level of commitment to saving people and took all of the doomsday particles into himself and became doomsday's new prision. Personally i believe new 52 superman is going to surpass pre 52 superman and become a better superman in the same way i believe MOS superman will become better than Reeve's superman. It will take time but i'm sure it will happen.

A long time ago, this was how I felt as well. And this is also why I hate public opinion 9 times out of 10, because a large portion of it are individuals either getting swept up in "going with the flow" or hesitant to speak out because of being trashed for their tastes. It was around the time of the GL Recharge that I finally read a Superman comic, and before then, I was one of the most obnoxious Superman bashers around. After I finally read it, Death of Superman, I was hooked. Not to say all of his comics were masterpieces, but many were great reads.

Since the New 52, I've actually liked Superman better. He seems more of a man finding his identity rather than being the person people want him to be. He doesn't have a perfect personality, which people still can't seem to get over. He can be hotheaded at times, he can be impulsive and there are times his instincts are to think with his fists. But everyone also seems to forget he also has shown a major concern for life, the extent he's willing to go to protect others, and how strongly he strives to do what he thinks is right. If that's not a man you can look up to, I don't know what is.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30 frozen  Moderator

@squalleon: To be fair, reading JL 30 and JL 31, Johns is writing Superman to be a lot more mature, calmer and yet still remain Superman tough.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@squalleon: To be fair, reading JL 30 and JL 31, Johns is writing Superman to be a lot more mature, calmer and yet still remain Superman tough.

Did I ever mentioned anything past JL: Origins?
    Johns' Superman really improved since JL Throne of Atlantis. And he really wrote him well in Superman 32.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: People won't admit it, but he's a much better character. The PC version was so...blah. He was as predictable as porn. What's worst, it was the good porn, it was softcore.

I like my Superman fallible.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VinoVash1234

Well said.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By primebonnick

cause for some reason the meaning dark and edgey has changed for some reason. I don't get how new 52 superman is that heck the guy is still as sanctimonious as ever, even kara had to complain about it lol.

As i said maybe the definition of it has changed since i met a kid that thought the jackie chan and jayden smith karate kid was the original movie.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@lvengersaid:

So, in essence, I guarantee to you that Johns' Superman will blow Pak's Action Comics out the water by far. I'm already liking the sound of it even without having read the issue whereas I never felt that way about Pak's Action Comics at all.

QFT.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like how opinions become facts on the Superman forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how opinions become facts on the Superman forums.

Welcome to the internet. However my opinions are facts in real life too unlike these other people ;)

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@farkam:

Lol. I do admit that Pak's characterization is off ONLY because of the time skip. Superman is supposed to be what, about 25-26 years old currently? Pak is writing him, brilliantly I might add, as a 21-22 year old. I believe Clark would have matured past his current attitude by the time he was 25-26 years old. That is a glaring issue IMO. I don't get the logic behind that 5 year thing. It was the most asinine thing I've experienced since I started reading comics.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What people are admitting is that New 52 Superman has been more edgy, wayward and uncharacteristic in terms of how New 52 Superman has acted. The better receptions of New 52 Superman is when writers depict him acting more like Classic Superman in the Pre New 52 universe e.g Snyder's Unchained and Johns' Superman run rather than less. That's where most of the praise comes from. A few people trying to force the contradictory opinion doesn't change how New 52 Superman is only well received when he doesn't act like he's been doing so in the New 52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.