Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How come theres no other Superman animated shows?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

There have been only 4 animated series of Superman, compared to Batman's 8(one coming in 2013) and I guess it kinda bothers me being that Superman is the biggest hero ever. Yet he hardly gets anything media wise compared to Batman, I mean I don't hate Batman its just don't understand why there can't be a new tv series with Superman. Before anyone comes along and says 

"Well it would be hard to write any good stories for Superman." 

To that end, I would need to ask really? Now while some of the past shows, were a little corny.....Superman: TAS was pretty good in terms of what was going on, had some good plots and villains and proved that if done right could make for a good Superman show. I mean its been more then a decade since the last Superman show, and Batman is still getting his shows.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Eternal19

Don't worry if MOS is good superman will be getting his turn in the spotlight.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Squalleon

@Wolfrazer: wait until the Man of steel come out and superman gets a whole new fanbase.Then he will get an animated series,a new comic,new action figure even female products with his face on them!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfrazer

Ya I guess, but he really shouldn't need a movie to push forward an animated series but will see I suppose. Just hope its none of that 3D/computer animated stuff, stick with what they were doing before animation wise. Superman:TAS was very good animation, as someone said  

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Suprman

@Wolfrazer: I agree with you but unfortunately that is the way the entertainment world works these days.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Batman got a huge boost thanks to the dark knight so if MOS is awesome,Superman will be back!! i was really enjoying young justice, i know its not exactly superman but still,any idea when thats coming back?

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By supermanfan1234

hopefully after MOS

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By sethysquare

well.... lois and clark ran for 3 seasons and smallville ran for 10 seasons.... so....

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ComicStooge

I don't think any new animated show could be as good as Super TAS. It was pretty damn good.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By selinaky

He has Krypto the Superdog...

Heh, but seriously, I'd love a new Supes animated series. A JL one too.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @Selinaky said:

He has Krypto the Superdog...

Heh, but seriously, I'd love a new Supes animated series. A JL one too.

Ya but Krypto was really....childish and only lasted 2 seasons, and of course thats expected but it was kinda aimed at a particular audience instead of for everyone. I posted a new TV idea for Krypto on his forums, would be more geared towards a general audience and be more like Superman: TAS. 

@ComicStooge said:
    I don't think any new animated show could be as good as Super TAS. It was pretty damn good.

Probably correct lol, I mean that TAS was dark at some points and had some good stories to tell. Would be hard to be as good, but I still would like to see a new animated series even if it becomes watered down to try and not so much brutality as in TAS.
    Avatar image for lightningdragon
    LightningDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LightningDragon

I thought that to, I wish they would. Superman is my favourite character.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cattlebattle

. Yet he hardly gets anything media wise compared to Batman,

He was the lead character on Legion of Super Heroes
    Smallville ran for 10 years
    He had two movies in 7 years
    He appears in Young Justice currently 
    Every other DC animated film either features him
     Has a movie and likely another series in development

I am not seeing where you are getting this from.....
    LightningDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LightningDragon

Yeah he's been in a lot of stuff but he still hasn't had a lot of animation made where he is by himself like the Superman: The Animated Series

LightningDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LightningDragon

@LightningDragon:

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @cattlebattle said:

He was the lead character on Legion of Super Heroes Smallville ran for 10 yearsHe had two movies in 7 years He appears in Young Justice currently  Every other DC animated film either features him  Has a movie and likely another series in development I am not seeing where you are getting this from.....
    Talking about shows with just himself in them, probably should have clarified on that.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Wolfrazer said:
    @cattlebattle said:

He was the lead character on Legion of Super Heroes Smallville ran for 10 yearsHe had two movies in 7 years He appears in Young Justice currently  Every other DC animated film either features him  Has a movie and likely another series in development I am not seeing where you are getting this from.....
    Talking about shows with just himself in them, probably should have clarified on that.
    Well Batman has had two cartoons....Batman Tas and The Bataman.......Brave and the Bold doesn't count if you are primarily counting shows where he was there by"himself". Which is irrelevant anyways being Smallville ran for ten years and probably had higher ratings than either show
    Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @cattlebattle said:

@Wolfrazer said:

@cattlebattle said:

Well Batman has had two cartoons....Batman Tas and The Bataman.......Brave and the Bold doesn't count if you are primarily counting shows where he was there by"himself". Which is irrelevant anyways being Smallville ran for ten years and probably had higher ratings than either show
    Theres also 1 still coming up in 2013. But that wasn't really my main point of this thread, the point being is that Supes hasn't had a shown since TAS while Batman is still getting shows himself. But will see if MOS changes that.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Wolfrazer said:

Theres also 1 still coming up in 2013. But that wasn't really my main point of this thread, the point being is that Supes hasn't had a shown since TAS while Batman is still getting shows himself. But will see if MOS changes that.

I get what your saying....I just don't see it that way, if you are talking cartoons Batman has had one solo one in "The Batman" since Batman TAS, Superman was the main character on Legion of Super Heroes, they also had shows like Krypto the Super Dog which was based on Superman lore.  You keep driving at the point that Batman has had all these shows where Superman has had one...which is false, do you know what I mean?? Animated or otherwise, Superman has had as many shows if not more than Batman

There is likely one to accompany the Man of Steel movie
    Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @cattlebattle said:
    @Wolfrazer said:
    I get what your saying....I just don't see it that way, if you are talking cartoons Batman has had one solo one in "The Batman" since Batman TAS, Superman was the main character on Legion of Super Heroes, they also had shows like Krypto the Super Dog which was based on Superman lore.  You keep driving at the point that Batman has had all these shows where Superman has had one...which is false, do you know what I mean?? Animated or otherwise, Superman has had as many shows if not more than Batman There is likely one to accompany the Man of Steel cartoon
    Never said that Superman only had 1, hes had more if you combined both animation and live action. Movies though, different story but ya will see.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By danhimself

I still feel that DC/WB should make spinoffs of Young Justice....maybe a Justice League show or individual series for the Justice League members like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern or others...same animation, same voices....intersecting plot lines...like when the missing 6 went off to face what they did during the missing 16 hours that could have been handled in a Justice League show

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Wolfrazer: Well Supes kinda has been in the media a lot foe the past 10 years with Smallville. Yes I get that he wasn't Superman in it, but still it served to keep Supes in the public eye for a while even without a movie. Though I do want a new cartoon.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Wolfrazer said:

Never said that Superman only had 1, hes had more if you combined both animation and live action. Movies though, different story but ya will see.
    I am trying not to sound rude, and I probably sound like I am being overly technical but I just think you are generalizing, you are basically asking why Batman has had consistent solo cartoons while Superman hasn't really had one since the Superman 90's series, but he has had series just not always animated or ones that feature his usual cast of characters...... 

I believe Batman only has about a couple more movies than Superman, and that would likely be because they never followed through with a lot of scripts due to the effects being pricey and whatnot
    Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @cattlebattle said:

@Wolfrazer said:

I am trying not to sound rude, and I probably sound like I am being overly technical but I just think you are generalizing, you are basically asking why Batman has had consistent solo cartoons while Superman hasn't really had one since the Superman 90's series, but he has had series just not always animated or ones that feature his usual cast of characters......   I believe Batman only has about a couple more movies than Superman, and that would likely be because they never followed through with a lot of scripts due to the effects being pricey and whatnot
    As said I know Supes has had other cartoons pre-90s, still though people have seen more Batman then Superman unless they actually go back to watch what Superman stared in. With Batman, you could do the same but at the same time theres still new things coming out with him to show. 

But will see if MOS changes that, anyway am done gotta go.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Wolfrazer said:
    still though people have seen more Batman then Superman unless they actually go back to watch what Superman stared in. With Batman, you could do the same but at the same time theres still new things coming out with him to show.

I do not understand what you mean by this...are you implying that more people are aware of Batman shows then Superman...I think thats false unless your an avid comic fan....Smallville was prime time show aimed at a very broad demographic. For an example my sister used to watch Smallville but wasn't even aware The Batman existed
    Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Squalleon said:

@Wolfrazer: wait until the Man of steel come out and superman gets a whole new fanbase.Then he will get an animated series,a new comic,new action figure even female products with his face on them!

The only problem with that, though, is he is going to have that awful suit from MOS. I would much rather have an action figure or cartoon or video game of him in his New 52 suit, not the ugly MOS one, but there are very few to choose from.

Khadija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Khadija

I liked the Justice League Unlimited Superman a lot. He was uber-powerful. All the other shows (the original Justice League pre-Unlimited, the Superman series) I felt seriously gimped him, and really they gimped a lot of character.

My favorite Supermen on-screen have been the iterations in the animated films. Doomsday, All Star Superman, Superman v. the Elite. Those really showcased the man of steel as a powerhouse (let's just be honest and call him what he is: a god).

Not that S:TAS and JL didn't have some good stories, I just didn't like the Faux X-Men movie treatment where everyone got downgraded to Byrne-levels.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sinestro_GL

The truth is, we shouldn't have to have waited until 2013 for Superman to get another animated series.

Look at it like this, following the end of both TAS of Superman and of Batman, Batman has had a lot more media coverage...I mena how does DC explain the huge-ass gap between the Reeves Superman franchise and then Superman Returns?

It didn't take nearly as long for Batman to bounce back from Batman and Robin to Batman Begins...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.