Has Superman ever killed anyone

• 69 results
#1 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

Can Someone tell me if supes ever killed anyone out of revenge or in battle just to win or just kill anyone at all.

#2 Posted by Saranth (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the universe, I suppose. I'm not a huge Superman-fan, but I know that he killed Titan, a super-powered individual who escaped from the Phantom Zone, in Smallville Series 6. Clark was pretty torn up about it, too, as I recall.

#3 Edited by guttridgeb (4881 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in the main universe, there has been killings in other ones - Injustice: Gods Among Us for instance.

EDIT: By main I mean New 52.

#4 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Saranth said:

Depends on the universe, I suppose. I'm not a huge Superman-fan, but I know that he killed Titan, a super-powered individual who escaped from the Phantom Zone, in Smallville Series 6. Clark was pretty torn up about it, too, as I recall.

how about in the golden or silver age? are there any canon comics or canon tv series of him or him featured

#5 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

Not in the main universe, there has been killings in other ones - Injustice: Gods Among Us for instance.

is it canon and can you pls name the list of villians and heros he has slain

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he has.

Superman #22
Superman #22

And yes, this was canon, for like 20 years to be precise.

#7 Posted by guttridgeb (4881 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@guttridgeb said:

Its canon to that universe. He's only killed Joker as of yet and that was because Joker had killed a pregnant Lois Lane and nuked Metropolis.

#8 Posted by Saranth (77 posts) - - Show Bio

That's when he executes Zod, right?

#9 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Yes he has.

Superman #22
Superman #22

who is he killing here and can post more of him doing so plz? ill appreciate it

#10 Edited by toptom (1567 posts) - - Show Bio

he has killed 3 kryptonians in the pre-52 universe using some gold kryptonite but then he sweared he won't kill anyone anymore. afther that he just has killed doomsday.

in the new 52 superman has killed a kryptonian dragon that was already dying on his own,and some of the darkseid's soldiers ( they were probably cyborg).

...but we also have this:in those scans he was trying to protect the city from being completely frozen by his friend Heater who was possesed by an alien entity.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

here it seems he was going to kill her in order to save milions. that was probably the right thing to do,even if she was innocent i suppose. dc should put superman in more situation like this: if you have so much power sometimes you have to make hard choices.

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Saranth: Yup, that alternate version of Zod.

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: It's a looong story, but to make it short, these are kryptonian criminals from the Phantom Zone (Zod, Faora and Quex-Ul) from a pocket universe. The Lex Luthor of that universe freed them without knowing they were evil and the kryptonians proceeded to kill most people on Earth. After Superman travels to this pocket universe to try to help out the human resistance, everyone dies except for an alternate version of Supergirl. The kryptonians are powerless after being exposed to Gold K but that isn't enough for Superman, who fears they might get their powers back and travel to his universe, where the same tragedy may end up occurring, so he decides to use Green K to execute them.

He recently killed the Joker in the Injustice: Gods Among Us comics, but that obviously isn't canon.

#12 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@toptom said:

he has killed 3 kryptonians in the pre-52 universe using some gold kryptonite but then he sweared he won't kill anyone anymore. afther that he just has killed doomsday.

in the new 52 superman has killed a kryptonian dragon that was already dying on his own,and some of the darkseid's soldiers ( they were probably cyborg). though he was going to kill.

...but we also have this: he was trying to protect the city from being completely frozen by his friend heater who was possesed by an alien entity.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

here it seems he was going to kill her in orther to save milions.

the scan of him killing the girl is pre 52 or new 52

#13 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: It's a looong story, but to make it short, these are kryptonian criminals from the Phantom Zone (Zod, Faora and Quex-Ul) from a pocket universe. The Lex Luthor of that universe freed them without knowing they were evil and the kryptonians proceeded to kill most people on Earth. After Superman travels to this pocket universe to try to help out the human resistance, everyone dies except for an alternate version of Supergirl. The kryptonians are powerless after being exposed to Gold K but that isn't enough for Superman, who fears they might get their powers back and travel to his universe, where the same tragedy may end up occurring, so he decides to use Green K to execute them.

He recently killed the Joker in the Injustice: Gods Among Us comics, but that obviously isn't canon.

is there any innocents or heros he killed

#14 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: No as far as I know.

#15 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

wait so he killed someone with the krypt,even though if he touches it,it can kill him as well? how does that work???

#16 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: It was kryptonite from an alternate earth/parallel universe. The radiation from an alternate kryptonite can't kill or even hurt Superman. Let me put it this way: Earth-28 Superman kills Earth-57 Superman with Earth-57 kryptonite, and E28 Supes isn't hurt by this kryptonite because the only kryptonite that can hurt him is Earth-28 kryptonite.

#17 Posted by UltimateSMfan (2377 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

wait so he killed someone with the krypt,even though if he touches it,it can kill him as well? how does that work???

the kryptonite he used was of that universe and so didnt affect him just the Ks from that universe.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (36284 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically Doomsday may count as another Post Crisis/Pre Flashpoint killing but aside from that and this one

@SmashBrawler said:

Yes he has.

Superman #22
Superman #22

I can't think of any other times when Superman has killed anyone.

#19 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: It was kryptonite from an alternate earth/parallel universe. The radiation from an alternate kryptonite can't kill or even hurt Superman. Let me put it this way: Earth-28 Superman kills Earth-57 Superman with Earth-57 kryptonite, and E28 Supes isn't hurt by this kryptonite because the only kryptonite that can hurt him is Earth-28 kryptonite.

so what exact issues he kills superman 57 and heather

#20 Edited by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: Earth-57 Superman doesn't exist. I made him up for my example.

Oh, and Heather isn't dead. The implication is that Superman may have killed her if it was necessary but he didn't kill her.

#21 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: Earth-57 Superman doesn't exist. I made him up for my example.

Oh, and Heather isn't dead. The implication is that Superman may have killed her if it was necessary but he didn't kill her.

aha ok.so is there anyway you can give the full list of people of supes has killed

#22 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: In canon content, the Phantom Zone criminals and Doomsday. Oh, and that kryptonian dragon and those Parademons, but in the former's case it's the equivalent of Batman killing a shark, it doesn't really count, and in the latter's case, the Parademons looked more like artificially designed creatures than actual living ones.

#23 Posted by Lvenger (36284 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Just what I was going to say. And the dragon wasn't even alive. Superman said it was made up of dead cells before vaporising it so it's not even like Batman killing a shark.

#24 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: In canon content, the Phantom Zone criminals and Doomsday. Oh, and that kryptonian dragon and those Parademons, but in the former's case it's the equivalent of Batman killing a shark, it doesn't really count, and in the latter's case, the Parademons looked more like artificially designed creatures than actual living ones.

how about in general name people he killed

#25 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

Apart from doomsday I can't think of any one

#26 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: In general? You mean in non-canon content? If that's the case there's too much alternate stories to actually know how many non-canon kills he has.

#27 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: In general? You mean in non-canon content? If that's the case there's too much alternate stories to actually know how many non-canon kills he has.

just want to know some other names

#28 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Well, some that come to mind are Joe Chill in Speeding Bullets, Green Arrow and Wonder Woman (among others) in Absolute Power, and the Joker in Injustice: Gods Among Us.

#29 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Well, some that come to mind are Joe Chill in Speeding Bullets, Green Arrow and Wonder Woman (among others) in Absolute Power, and the Joker in Injustice: Gods Among Us.

what issues like issue 1 or 2 and why he killed them

#30 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

and who are the two kryptonians he killed in pre 52 and the beings he killed in new 52?

#31 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

what issues like issue 1 or 2 and why he killed them

• Joe Chill: In this reality Superman was adopted by the Waynes and raised as their own son. One night they went to the cinema and you know the rest of the story. After Joe Chill kills the Waynes in front of young Bruce, he shoots Bruce but the bullets bounce off him. Then Bruce accidentally uses his heat vision on Chill and incinerates him.
  • Green Arrow and Wonder Woman: In this reality Superman and Batman are tyrants who rule the world with an iron fist. Their adoptive parents, members of the Legion of Supervillains from the future, killed most of the other superheroes before they could exist (like Green Lantern, the Flash, Aquaman and Martian Manhunter). However, some heroes still existed, like Green Arrow, who was a rebel in Star City but got incinerated by Superman. Later on in the story, Wonder Woman, among others, fight against Superman and Batman, and she kills Batman. Superman is enraged because Bruce was his adoptive brother so he brutally beats Wonder Woman and kills her with her own lasso.
  • The Joker: In this reality the Joker blew up a nuclear bomb in Metropolis, killing millions. The detonator was activated when Superman accidentally killed Lois Lane, who was pregnant with Clark's child (Superman thought she was Doomsday because of an special variation of Scarecrow's fear gas). Enraged, Superman then proceeds to fly to Joker's position and forces his fist through Joker's chest.
#32 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

and who are the two kryptonians he killed in pre 52 and the beings he killed in new 52?

I told you already, General Zod, Faora and Quex-Ul are the kryptonian criminals he killed. He hasn't killed anyone in The New 52 to my knowledge.

#33 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@guttridgeb said:

Its canon to that universe. He's only killed Joker as of yet and that was because Joker had killed a pregnant Lois Lane and nuked Metropolis.

We don't know if Joker is dead or not. He's probably still alive, Joker is so evil that he could survive a punch threw the chest.

Also Joker was in a video about to stab Harley Quinn but Lex stopped him, so I believe he's still alive.

#34 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

I told you already, General Zod, Faora and Quex-Ul are the kryptonian criminals he killed. He hasn't killed anyone in The New 52 to my knowledge.

are you sure he killed him? or just sent them to phantom zone

#35 Posted by guttridgeb (4881 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@guttridgeb said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@guttridgeb said:

We don't know if Joker is dead or not. He's probably still alive, Joker is so evil that he could survive a punch threw the chest.

Also Joker was in a video about to stab Harley Quinn but Lex stopped him, so I believe he's still alive.

Joker is definitely dead, it was confirmed in an interview with the writer.

#36 Posted by gecko200 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't superman kill doomsday in one incarnation or another?

#37 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: Yes, he exposed them to Green K and killed them.

No Caption Provided

However, like I said, this was an alternate version of Zod, nothing to do with regular Zod.

#38 Posted by danhimself (21433 posts) - - Show Bio

he killed a Suneater in Action Comics 847

#39 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: Yes, he exposed them to Green K and killed them.

No Caption Provided

However, like I said, this was an alternate version of Zod, nothing to do with regular Zod.

In his defense, they were three villians with pre-Crisis Kryptonian strength. They could've walked out of the Phantom Zone at any time. I believe this was Byrne-era Superman, so not even he would've stood a chance against them.

<Greater good. Like, literally neccesary.

#40 Posted by toptom (1567 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@toptom said:

in the new 52 superman has killed a kryptonian dragon that was already dying on his own,and some of the darkseid's soldiers ( they were probably cyborg). though he was going to kill.

...but we also have this: he was trying to protect the city from being completely frozen by his friend heater who was possesed by an alien entity.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

here it seems he was going to kill her in orther to save milions.

the scan of him killing the girl is pre 52 or new 52

new 52

#41 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really think Doomsday counts, considering at the time, he was just a mindless beast. As someone else said in the thread, "same as Batman killing a shark."

#42 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Joe Chill,whitch comics is that from and gods among us is ths video game right

#43 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Joe Chill,whitch comics is that from and gods among us is ths video game right

Like I said, Joe Chill is from Speeding Bullets. And yeah, Injustice is that video game. More specifically, the Joker was killed in the digital comics that serve as a prequel for the game.

#44 Posted by Teerack (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

He tried to kill doomsday, but I think it was impossible.

#45 Posted by SandMan_ (4581 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Doomsday, Phantom Zone villains, that russian Zod( Well he kinda killed himself throwing his body at Superman)
This?

#46 Posted by Dextersinister (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

He's killed Parademons in the N52, who have been established as sentient.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
#47 Posted by consolemaster001 (6934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I don't thimk doomsday should count. He's a mindless beast.

#48 Posted by Lvenger (36284 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Hmm maybe but he was still a living creature at the time. Not sentient yet but still alive. Still there was no other option other than for Superman to kill Doomsday.

@SandMan_ said:

Yes, Doomsday, Phantom Zone villains, that russian Zod( Well he kinda killed himself throwing his body at Superman)
This?

Where in the world is this from?

#49 Posted by ssejllenrad (13110 posts) - - Show Bio

EDIT: By main I mean New 52.

Well his death is still canon in the New 52 so I'm guessing him killing Doomsday the first time was still canon.

#50 Posted by ssejllenrad (13110 posts) - - Show Bio

Also.. Didn't Superman kill Pre-52 Darkseid in the New 52? I mean yeah it wasn't "kill" kill... But it was way more than that. He sang Darkseid out of existence. That's like killing his ghost or something.

And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he "kill" one of the many incarnations of Zod back in pre-52? I remember "Russian Zod" admonishing him about it back in OWAW.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.