Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Does Superboy have to potential to surpass Superman?

• 108 results
    CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We have all seen the new 52 Superman. We are all aware of what a power house he is, and what he is capable of. This is a man that could bench the weight of the earth for 5 days straight with relative ease. Fly at speed much faster than the speed of light. Tag someone with Femtosecond reaction time. Hell, he even made the entire world shake by punching He'l.

Superboy is quite the powerhouse as well. He single-handedly took down the entire teen-titans lineup. So far, he has had some impressive feats, but seemingly no where near Superman's.

But does he have the potential to surpass Superman? Become more powerful than the man of steel? So far, we have seen hints of this possibility through out the new 52.

No Caption Provided

"As powerful as his father was" "...his son was actually born under a yellow sun". Could this added absorption of solar energy at such a young age lead to him becoming more powerful than his father? Well, later on in this issue, the man who raised Superboy after his "death" was shown with him, raising him as an extremely powerful Kyrptonian.

As you all should know, Superboy was cloned. The same man that raised him before, ordered the "mindless" clone to be destroyed. And with the thread of death, he showed a glimpse of power that dwarfed the power of the original Superboy.

No Caption Provided

So if this clone is THAT much more powerful than the boy that was already hinted to surpass his father, will he definitely surpass Superman? if so, by how much? how powerful will Superboy be?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the issue. They played it coy. I get the impression that the writer WANTS Superboy, and Jon Lane Kent, to be more powerful than Superman, but not I dont feel it is confirmed as fact. What is MORE interesting, is when I consider that the Twilight of the Superheroes by Alan Moore is rumoured to be making an appearance in the main DCU. Who is more powerful, the Son of Lois Lane and Clark Kent, or the Son/Daughter of Wonder Woman and Superman? I think the main DCU is still considered the "right" or "untainted" universe, and the New 52 is the "wrong/ twisted" universe, as seen in JLI where Booster Gold has issues because of WW and Supes' kiss, and then what Harvest said in the issue about malleable time.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Through out the issue whether it was Jon or kon they only showed him as a teenager so maybe when he fully matures,he has the potential to be stronger than supes.pre 52 superboy definitely did so I don't think it's a lot different here although I'd like to know how superboy isn't suffering from the same gene incompatibility sickness or whatever that Jon was/is suffering from. Plus new52 supes started properly flying when he was about 22,n they showed Jon flying at 3 so yea....I love superboy n hope he's treated well in the new52.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deaditegonzo

Through out the issue whether it was Jon or kon they only showed him as a teenager so maybe when he fully matures,he has the potential to be stronger than supes.pre 52 superboy definitely did so I don't think it's a lot different here although I'd like to know how superboy isn't suffering from the same gene incompatibility sickness or whatever that Jon was/is suffering from. Plus new52 supes started properly flying when he was about 22,n they showed Jon flying at 3 so yea....I love superboy n hope he's treated well in the new52.

Kon has three different DNA donors, he wasnt a pure hybrid.

TitanTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love what they are doing with "Jon Kent" & Superboy. I cant wait to see more! (By the way you might want to put SPOILER! in the titles since you used scans from this week... But other than that cool blog)

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gohan = Human + Saiyan = Potentially more powerful than a normal Saiyan but can't escape from the shadows of his purebreed father.

Connor = Human + Kryptonian = Whatever potential he has, he won't escape from the shadows of his purebred fathers.

:D

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: right that may be it...fingers crossed that its lex! although thinking about it that would be sooo weird lol.

@ssejllenrad:good point! those damn purebred fathers!

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By consolemaster001

interesting idea

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stephens2177

Kon doesnt absorb yellow sunlight,he is a TK user.

Kon was supervised in a cloning tube throughout his entire growth,jon was not,that might be why he does not have the dna instability.

Just the fact that kon and jon both are hybrids and still stated as powerful as a full blooded kryptonian is big to me,let alone the idea of them getting more powerful.

There is probably not a third dna donor,cause in superman16 lobdell wrote that the combination of the human and kryptonian dna created the third dna strand.

I cant wait to see the sons of superman fight ,kon and jon,one naturally birthed,the other by cloning process,should be awesome.

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titantempest: Sorry about that, i'll try to remember for next time.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By z3ro180

@CaledHara wait a minute back up. Does superman now have a baby son or is that some kind of dream ?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Nah I doubt it. Superman's considered the most powerful or one of the most powerful heroes in DC and although they may tease at Superboy surpassing him, it'll thankfully never come into reality. And now that I know of what Lobdell has done in Superboy 19, I dislike him as a writer even more now.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stephens2177

Superman will always be top dog in the books,they can tease all they want about others being more powerful,or will be more powerful,but that fact will never change.

I love reading disgruntled fans posts on the various places i post on the net,lol those of you who are mad are so funny,i have been a fan of superboy since the death of superman in 1993,so i have sat through three in-comics origin changes,and two more for tv shows,and you guys are getting all pissy about one lol.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By z3ro180

@Lvenger How what's happend in Superboy 19 ?

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol,only his entire origin being told,and before you ask -

SUPERBOY #1Written by SCOTT LOBDELLArt by RB SILVA and ROB LEANCover by ERIC CANETEOn sale SEPTEMBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED TThey thought he was just an experiment – and a failed one at that! Grown from a combination of Kryptonian and human DNA, the Clone was no more than a set of data to the scientists of Project N.O.W.H.E.R.E. But when the scope of his stunning powers was revealed, he became a deadly weapon! Now the question is: Can a clone develop a conscience? 

Lois and clark are the dna donors,and TTK is the power,and NOWHERE is run and created by Harvest.

There now everyone is easily caught up,cause the solicit for issue 1 and my last paragraph tells you everything you need to know,the rest is time travel stuff that wont be remembered a year from now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: that is an accurate review and exactly why im not thrilled wit this,lobdell did it to tim drake n now he's doin it to superboy as well.... :(

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lvenger said:

@z3ro180: If you don't mind being spoilt then this review summarises the issue well

http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/review-superboy-18.html

The only thing in the review that I picked up as being "off", or maybe I missed it in the review itself, but the writer keeps questioning where Superman and Lois are during certain moments such as "Jon" being stolen or "Jon" being somewhat an evil tyrant. Superboy #19 says that once the baby dies, Superman and Lois disappear forever never to be seen again (possibly off world or something else forgot what).

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That review was from anj's blog,and all the negatives were based on thinking it would put lois and clark in a bad light,not that it was a fun,new,and well put together origin for kon and jon.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That review was from anj's blog,and all the negatives were based on thinking it would put lois and clark in a bad light,not that it was a fun,new,and well put together origin for kon and jon.

A review is supposed to be someone's opinion on it. I only chose it because it has the best synopsis for that story. That is until the Superman Homepage review comes out for it. Having said that, I do agree with a lot of what anj said. It was kind of Lobdell ruining the Lois/Superman relationship by having their child turn out to be a murderous tyrant even though he was raised by Harvest, it's not exactly a welcoming thought for Lois and Clark fans when their child turns out to be evil. Though I don't mind Lois and Clark being separated now, I have to admit Lobdell did a poor job making this an entertaining origin story for Superboy and just slotted in a whole bunch of other elements for future stories.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superboy prime ?

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger,and thats your opinion.mine is that the fact that lobdell shows lois and clark together while presently they are not is a sign for hope,and they can have children,thatsanother sign of hope,another would be that the superman/wonder woman kiss showed the future isnt stuck being what it was,so they are not stuck knowing they will have a evil child,they can have a good child.all that is good and positive,so i totally dismiss the cries of the fans thinking this is terrible,its all good imo.

Oh and its good thing to open kons cast up,and its good to have villians that seem like they are in his league.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: Although I have a slight preference for the Clois relationship and am not a fan of Superman and WW together, I'm by no means as disgruntled as other Clois shippers are. I don't even call myself a Clois shipper since I hate the shipping concept.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lvenger
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Indubitably! I can assume that you care very little for Lobdell's Superboy or TT titles?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: They're not my cup of tea to say the least. And unlike most British people, I hate tea :P

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yeah, most people aren't really enjoying his work as of late and I KNEW IT! YOU ARE A HIPSTER!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Maybe. If disliking Lobdell's writing is one aspect of it, I certainly fit the bill.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Haha, the disliking of tea was the deciding factor ;)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Was it now? I'd probably be exiled from Britain should it be known :P

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Was it now? I'd probably be exiled from Britain should it be known :P

Hey, I have a spare room over here in Canada. Come on down! ;)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: When have you known me to joke around about such things hmm?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lvenger
    stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My perfect SB would be to start with the YJ SB then instead of "suppressed"kryptonian dna from his human dna, have it merge into a third unique dna strand, that gives him TTK and TSA powers, and together with his limited but mighty kryptonian powers makes him one of the most powerful beings on earth.

TTK=tactile telekinesis

TSA=tactile sensory absorption

Oh and these would only work when he focussed.

Screw all the other 5 versions, DC give my superboy a shot.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By consolemaster001

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

@lvenger said:

lol

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PowerWoman

Nope,superman always most powerful,maybe in the pre-crisis,supergirl as powerful as him

but other time,no way

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By stephens2177

Actually after i read lobdell's newsarama explanation if kons three dna strands i would sayYES, he is absolutley able to be potentially more powerful than superman.

Kon has three equal parts to his dna-lois, superman, and jon, he already has jons powers, and if he has supermans dna at exactly the same mix as jons is, then he should have all supermans powers. If not that then his TTK he got from jon could be amped by having supermans/lois in there, so yeah imo kon when he is fully grown will be more powerful than superman.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By SupremeHyperion

well since superboy continues to grow and evolve doesn't that mean that superman as well does the same meaning it is actually impossible for superboy to ever reach the point of superman.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"as powerful as superman"eh?

I has 1 tons scan can prove "as strong as superman/as powerful as superman"Description is worthless

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

powergirl,supergirl,both as strong as superman

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are all infintly strong,even superboy,its how "all out" or "well trained" with your powers and fighting that makes the difference.

Kon took a pinch that sent him into orbit,then another back to earth,then a speed blitz from kara,then just decided he had enough and grabbed her fist and blasted her ass,and she screamed in pain,i dont know about you,but that looks like kon is at the very least her equal,if not more than.jon is only a 1/3of his dna,but he has all his powers,and harvest thought he was more powerful than jon,logic,even comic logic would say that if he got that from jon at 1/3 dna,then he should get something from supermans 1/3 of his dna,which would make him easily the most powerful non god/magic being on the planet.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: Bro,did you really read supergirl comics?when superboy fight with supergirl ,robot superman beat supergirl with easily,she even not close to superman power level,but supergirl grow up her muscle strength,she much more powerful than before,she can easily beat superboy

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Superboy can surpass Superman since Superboy has Lois genes and I believe Lois is smarter than Clark.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PowerWoman

the superboy isnt as powerful as superman,he even not close to robot superman power level:

here supergirl first fight with superboy:you can see it,superboy not "hurt"supergirl,in the next page,supergirl looks like perfect as ever

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

eh,supergirl equal to superboy?maybe,but did you know who weak when supergirl first appear?

here was supergirl fight with robot superman:

robot superman fight with real superman:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

superman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>robot superman>>>>>>>>>>>>supergirl(first appear)=superboy

but supergirl became more and more stronger than before(fight with superman or robot superman)

she was more stronger than before:

No Caption Provided

how strong is she now?

well,supergirl at least as strong as wonder woman(wonder woman>robot superman)

No Caption Provided

and supergirl more stronger than before:

No Caption Provided

supergirl should be stronger than wonder woman

superman = supergirl or superman a little bit stronger than supergirl>wonder woman>robot superman>superboy

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh,kara went crazy on kon,and he took it,she cried out AHHHH,thats pain,he wasnt trying to fight her,she was trying to kill him,huge difference.

The "robot" superman had a link to superman that was linked to its power level,when superman was floating uncinscious in space it was the strongest,when superman came back it lost a lot lf its power.

Kryptonians get more powerful the more they absorb solar energy we all know that.

Wonder woman was beating kara with skill,not overwhelmimg strength..

Kon with just TTK that he inherited from jon,which he only has 1/3 making up his dna could match kara.he has just as much superman dna,as jon dna,but as you can see in issue 19 jons powers worked when he was a baby,while supermans grow as he gets older,which means kon might grow into kryptonian powers,some or all of them,which added with his TTK would make him more than a normal full blooded kryptonian.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: and kara look like is ok,she not hurt,"ahhhh"not mean hurt,is could be just a little pain

anyway,superman>robot superman>supergirl=superboy in the first appear,and supergirl more and more stronger than before

wonder woman says supergirl is as strong as herself,read scan,isnt mean skill

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like i said kryptonians getting stronger the more solar energy they absorb,kara was absorbing it for weeks without the earths atmosphere blocking it in anyway,if kal did that,he would gain just as much power,so its t her natural powered state,it is like taking performance drugs for a human.

Ahhhh is pain,it doesnt matter if she isnt hurt or broken in two,it still hurt,and the you forget the most important part,that when kon decided he was done taking her beating,he shut her down instantl. plus the power to stop your opponent cold,thats real power,anybody can go ape shit nuts and try to kill you like a crazy person,but him taking it,deciding he had enough,and stopping her with one blast,thats the real thing.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PowerWoman

@stephens2177: eh,even superboy can hurt supergirl,that nothing can prove he was superman level,because when supergirl fight with superboy,robot superman can easily beat her,and real superman can easily beat robot superman

supergirl was more and more stronger than before,that why she can match wonder woman in strength and speed,and she even more powerful than before,again

superboy no feats,no change,no match for superman or supergirl

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.