Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Doctor Who Showrunner Steven Moffat Talks About Superman

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-07/steven-moffat-reveals-almost-all-about-the-doctor-who-christmas-special

Interview with departing Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat on his upcoming 2016 Christmas special, which will be somewhat of a love letter to Superman and comic books

""I love the old Christopher Reeve Superman films and what they did with his secret identity with dorky Clark Kent and almost equally dorky Superman and the sort of love triangle for two they had going on in that. I found it very charming, so we’re going for that version of the superhero story. And I was fascinated as a kid by the idea of a secret identity because, while I fulfilled the remit for being dorky and useless, I just didn’t have a superhero alter ego to compensate for that. And I really wished I had!"

Blackdelta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love Steven Moffat since I saw Coupling for the first time, I will look foward the Doctor Who Christmas Special.
    It would be fun to see Moffat deal with the real Superman Mythos. Hope he will write a miniseries or a special for DC someday.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wat? Superman is supposed to be sullen, cross and anti-social. Screw the Clark Kent disguise and his classic supporting characters, it's all about teh city-block destroying punches, and him showing Batman who's boss :)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@farkam said:

Wat? Superman is supposed to be sullen, cross and anti-social. Screw the Clark Kent disguise and his classic supporting characters, it's all about teh city-block destroying punches, and him showing Batman who's boss :)

Pfft, I wish. Superman took it like a bitch that entire movie. They reversed the roles, Clark kent had balls at his job, but as Superman he was a total *meow*.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@farkam said:

Pfft, I wish. Superman took it like a bitch that entire movie. They reversed the roles, Clark kent had balls at his job, but as Superman he was a total *meow*.

At least he didn't try to run away like some sissy-villain as soon as his only advantage wore off, despite talking a bunch of s**t about men being "brave", lmfao.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

This does sound kinda cheesy and Moffat has worn his welcome as a Doctor Who writer but he's got a decent understanding of the secret identity mythos at least.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much cheese my eyes are watering.

I’m all for secret identities, but “dorky” part of Reeve’s performance as Superman always felt forced to me. If anything, 6.4-foot tall actually athletic looking person with glasses, who trips over his own two feet, attracts more attention that faceless and unremarkable grey suit.

So far, the best dichotomy of Clark/Superman I saw in New Adventures of Superman: Lois and Clark – as well as my favorite Clark/Lois/Superman love triangle. I actually cheered for Clois in this case.

P.S. Out of curiosity, in my mind I tried to “replace” Reeve with Welling, Cavill and Dean Cain and “watch” Superman The Movie. What can I say… Casting Chris Reeve was the best Donner’s decision (man probably had the biggest case of “big blue eyed boy scout” charisma going for him than even real Superman has). Without him movie would have failed 10/10 imo. RIP, Mr. Reeve.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: Nah.

realistically he's going to garner attention no matter what. You can't be face-less when you are also tall, dark, and handsome.

Grant Morrison got the idea of making Clark physically different from Superman by the obvious Shy and Clumsy demeanor, with a slouch that made him look fat and shorter than he really was.

Chris Reeve's was campy, but there was atleast a compleatly clear effort to distinguish the two.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little more interested in the Christmas Special now

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's some information on the love interest...a bit of a Mama Lois vibe to this too

I wonder if Moffat's a fan of the Rebirth books?

Charity Wakefield Q&A

Tell us about your character Lucy

I play Lucy Fletcher who in her own way is living a little bit of a double life in that she’s a very successful working mother, she’s a journalist and she’s also been left by her husband so she’s in a difficult position with a very young child. But she’s quite an interesting character in that she’s got lots of different facets - I think a little light turns on when she’s at work and she’s quite hard-nosed and that’s fun to play. In this episode she’s the eye for the audience in a way because even though she feels like she’s in control at the beginning she’s the one that’s the least in the know about what these other worlds and superpowers are. She’s discovering everything as the audience are discovering it so I felt it was my job to really be in the moment with that which is such a fun thing to do when the things that are happening are so extraordinary.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple of Superman related tidbits

• There are loads of Superman The Movie parallels and references and misquotes.
    • Lucy Fletcher (Charity Wakefield) is basically Lois Lane.
    • The Doctor draws glasses on someone famous.
    • If you’re a comic book fan then you might like to know that some John Byrne artwork appears.
    Bezza1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, for me Moffat has ruined Dr Who in recent years, turning a fun family TV show into the science fiction version of "Eastenders".....(that reference wont mean much to anyone outside of the UK).....but fair play, respect for his appreciation of Superman! Look forward to seeing the Christmas Day special...

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZariusII

@bezza1969: Moffat's only real stab at crappy soap opera was that dreary Amy/Rory/River nonsense, the brief tease at a Pond divorce in series seven, and Clara's behaviour back in series eight. While those elements were tiresome, I would say what hurt the show more was Moffat's more childish indulgences, such as perverse humour (inappropriate for a family show) and having characters talk down to the audience because they're aware there's children in the room...but then I remember RTD was just as guilty of this as Moffat with his insistence on The Doctor being romantic with Rose, or Martha crushing on The Doctor, but he gets away with it because his approach was more populist and made at a time where that approach was a fresh coat of paint. It also helped that his final series did away with the romance element altogether and just focused on a platonic friendship between Doctor and companion (Donna)

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Bit of a Superdad vibe going on in the Digital First Ghost spin-off comic from Titan, first issue out today

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.