Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Do you think Matthew Vaughn, a possible director of a future Superman movie, has a good understanding of the character?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

"I don't know what I'm going to do next but I have had chats about Superman, I love Superman."

"I just don't feel a proper Superman—I think [Richard] Donner did it to perfection for that time," he added, saying that for him, "Superman is color, feel-good, heroic" and "a beacon of light in the darkness." As such, he wants to "go back to the source material" and offer a modern take on the Donner version.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/18/what-kingsman-director-matthew-vaughn-would-want-to-do-with-a-superman-movie

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Donner version was good, but it shouldn't be the be-all-end-all of Superman films.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chris-Sama

I'd trust him over hack snyder anyday.

he made X-men first class, and that film revived the xmen franchise after the horrid x3.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I don't give a shit anymore

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any hope that he has any understanding of Superman, but I guess we'll see if he's chosen to direct...won't we?

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not to big on the whole paragon of hope, beam of light and blah, blah, blah aspect of Kal, but I'm sure that interpretation would probably appease most.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: If Vaughn is as good as he was in First Class, I might be a tad interested. Though I wasn't exactly a fan of Man of Steel.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again with "modern Donner version"... Superman Returns wasn't all that well received for a reason.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sanohibiki said:

Again with "modern Donner version"... Superman Returns wasn't all that well received for a reason.

Superman Returns wasn't well received because it was a trudging bore that made Superman a creepy stalker, Lois Lane a selfish b***h (well, more than usual), wasted Kevin Spacey and repeated the same plot as Donner's first movie. Also, do pay attention to what Vaugn actually said about the Donner version "being good for its time".

Also, dude made X-Men: First Class, which I still consider the best X-Men movie to date.

Optimism for a Superman movie is good. I do hate the "beacon of hope" interpretation, though. Why can't Supes be allowed to just be an ordinary superhero?

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Light1150

Not really? Why do we always have to follow Donner and beacon of hope aspect? Batman has various movies of interpretations, but they are not always dependent on the vengeance part. My pick would be Denise Villenueva. If blade runner is good, I would love him to do since he has an understanding of interesting scifi and would have ties with wb.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.