Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Do Superman fans resent Batman in a way?

• 180 results
    Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I'm looking for honest answers, not trying to incite any flame wars or anything. Just curious to see how the Superman fans here feel.

I've noticed that some Superman fans seem to have a certain level of hidden animosity towards Batman they don't seem to show any other comic book character. The idea of Captain America beating Superman will probably annoy Superman fans, the idea of Batman beating him though? Would send most into a rage. But there really isn't a difference between Batman and Cap physically so why does the scenario of Batman beating Superman get more anger than the one involving Cap?

Also fans seem to see Man of Steel as a way for Superman to "reclaim his throne" from Batman, this to me seems to be where the issue stems from. It appears a large group of Superman's fans want him to regain the popularity edge he once had over Batman, hence why many want just a MOS trilogy over additional JLA movies. I think a lot of fans here might see Batman as the only real competition Superman has to the title of most popular hero of all time and might get a little defensive at times when Batman is brought up or shown in a more favorable light than Superman. Tbf though the same is true for some Batman fans, I'll be honest when I was younger in my naive "yeah Batman is cool and Superman isn't" teen days I had the same problem. I didn't hate Superman, actually liked him (Superman: TAS is awesome btw) just didn't find him all that interesting, anyway I felt Batman was challenged by Superman and didn't like the idea of him being more popular than Batman. Deep down I suppose it still bothers me that Superman is more famous and more iconic but I no longer care if he "regains his throne" from Batman in terms of popularity. As long as good Batman stories still get put out I'm good.

So what I'm asking is, are there any Superman fans who resent the fact that Batman is currently more popular than Superman?

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The idea of anyone below Thor/Wonder Woman level even coming close to beating Superman completely infuriates me. Because its just plain ridiculous...

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a Diehard superman fan...n sometimes i get po'd at the batfans but that not cuz i hate batman, i love batman he was my fav, before Superman tas came out n then i just switched...i still love batman. what i hate is the batgod aspect....ppl say hes more relatable cuz he's human n then say he's able to do anything,thats just stupid.....n plus i think superfans just want the ignorant audience who diss superman to finally see what he's all about n hoping that Man Of Steel will do that. superhero comics in general owe their existence to this guy and thats a reason why its so painful to see the superman comics not doing well...i mean obviously the sales are relatively good but story quality hasn't been the best...and imo the batman movies were made by the villains,without them i doubt they wldve been as good. and the supers will regain his throne thing is not just over batman but for all superheroes in general,which im not saying this because im a fan but its the truth...IMO!! so i dont care that batman is currently more popular. i just hate the batgod crap

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate irrational fanboys.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Superman fanboys hate Batman fanboys.

My impersonation of how this plays out:

"Not Batman. Just his irrational fanboys."

"^this"

Etc etc

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jj62 said:

The idea of anyone below Thor/Wonder Woman level even coming close to beating Superman completely infuriates me. Because its just plain ridiculous...

Pretty sure that doesn't actually have much to do with the topic at hand...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@extremis said:

"^this"

Etc etc

So accurate it hurts.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I am a fan of both

But I hate with a burning passion batman fans that use the 'chuck norris' routine when debating batman

cut the sh!t with the batman memes, in general discussions that is fine but in battles that should not be allowed

I don't hate the game, I hate the players

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: *bows, puts on sunglasses, then gets beamed up to the mothership*

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Plenty of them do.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

I am a fan of both

But I hate with a burning passion batman fans that use the 'chuck norris' routine when debating batman

cut the sh!t with the batman memes, in general discussions that is fine but in battles that should not be allowed

I don't hate the game, I hate the players

No Caption Provided

I get a meme pass! This ain't the battles! :D

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: The eyewitness account:

No Caption Provided

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Perezite

@Jack Donaghy

I don't hate Batman. I like Batman. Consequently, I also like Superman.

What I DO hate are fanboys of both, with the fanboys and fans of the latter (there's a difference between a fanboy and a fan), admittedly being more of the Jews stranded in Egypt nowadays in terms of initial empathies and sympathies with them. Make no mistake I hate fanboys of BOTH the same, but not FANS (I.E., reasonable people, which, let's face it, a lot of Batman's followers (it would seem) not seem to be, often delving into FANBOY territory instead of FAN territory).

I'm not sure which one you are though, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're a FAN, but not a FANBOY, which means you're A-okay in my book buddy. :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love both and I think its fine if Batman beats Superman aslong as its not stupid.. He is supposed to be SMARTER so if he tricks Superman into getting close to kryptonite, sure.

If his punches make Supes flinch, or he is dodging heatvision left and right its just stupid.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dum529001

Batman is on PIS-steroids constantly. He's not the only character who's like that though.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

No, I actually really like Batman. I hate the attention that Batman gets from DC and the creators, though, just because of this popularity, however deserved it may be. Batman's popular and has good movies and games, so let's make more movies and games about Batman instead of focusing on anything else. That's the mentality that gets under my skin, and that's why Man of Steel is such a big deal to me.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is my really close 2nd fav superhero. I don't feel any resentment towards him. And to be honest, Superman fanboys vs Goku fanboys is a much bigger fight than the battle between the World's Finest... I also love Goku though. Nyehehehehehehahahaha!

@bruxae said:

I love both and I think its fine if Batman beats Superman aslong as its not stupid.. He is supposed to be SMARTER so if he tricks Superman into getting close to kryptonite, sure.

If his punches make Supes flinch, or he is dodging heatvision left and right its just stupid.

This. Also if it is not considered by some as a universal truth. I've encountered a lot of batwankers who immediately think Bats win because "their encounters" say so.... But when asked for the events they bring up the likes of Hush.... Which is not even a win for Bats! I would even forgive them if they used TDKR (even if it is not one-on-one or canon) because it is a solid win. Hush is just full of excuses to make it a batwankingwin.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ssejllenrad

@nerx said:

@ssejllenrad: sadly he's above the law :(

No Caption Provided

Oh the world's finest... How very similar they really are...

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

No...?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think it's the other way around. (the louder) Batman fans feel the need to belittle Supes and his fans and try to convince them that Supes sucks (Thanks Frank Miller!).

I like Superman more, but I don't hate Batman. I enjoy some batbooks (even though I think there are way too many of them right now) and I like his movies. I just hate Batman fanboys who ruin every topic about Superman by claiming he is a bad character and try to convince everyone Batman is the greatest, smartest, most moral hero that has ever been created.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Batman, but his appearance doesn't mind me...Now his Fanboys are different.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

nope

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Nope. I like them both

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike Batman. Its a chicken or the egg sort of discussion, I dont know for sure what did the most damage, his fanboys or the character himself, all I know is that I dont like him. I actually want to like Batman, as a detective, as a superhero made to fight your common thugs, he intrigues me, but I hate him in cosmic or world affecting arcs.

Actually, the Nolan movies changed my mind on a lot of things, and I feel that he could be fixed immediately, by being removed from the main universe at large, by not hanging out with Superman and his ilk, by just being a rich guy who has honed his body to perfection, fighting other mentally unstable HUMANS. Let Lucius be the genius, make Bruce only the body and spirit. Let the JLA handle anyone above Bane. You know, make him a HUMAN. Nolan Batman is the only Batman I really like. Dont get me wrong, some great Batman "stories" and great Batman moments, but that's as far as it goes for me. He is a man, a genius, invincible, so skilled as to somehow be super strong (never made sense), super humanly fast, has invisibility powers, etc. Then on the other hand, the worst personality ever.

But I know how sure I am that I hate Batman Fanboys; I couldnt be more sure.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@jack_donaghy:

not at all. maybe its the alphamale in us all but everything doesn't have to be a competition. for me its all aout story. I love both characters so let me put it like this. batman having the perfect plan to beat superman makes batman awesome. to the other side I love seeing superman assert himself and let batman know how powerful he is. I love that both characters are popular and I don't care at all which is more popular.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm a Superman fan and I love Batman, its the over zealous Bat fan boys that piss me off.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@deaditegonzo said:

I dislike Batman. Its a chicken or the egg sort of discussion, I dont know for sure what did the most damage, his fanboys or the character himself, all I know is that I dont like him. I actually want to like Batman, as a detective, as a superhero made to fight your common thugs, he intrigues me, but I hate him in cosmic or world affecting arcs.

Actually, the Nolan movies changed my mind on a lot of things, and I feel that he could be fixed immediately, by being removed from the main universe at large, by not hanging out with Superman and his ilk, by just being a rich guy who has honed his body to perfection, fighting other mentally unstable HUMANS. Let Lucius be the genius, make Bruce only the body and spirit. Let the JLA handle anyone above Bane. You know, make him a HUMAN. Nolan Batman is the only Batman I really like. Dont get me wrong, some great Batman "stories" and great Batman moments, but that's as far as it goes for me. He is a man, a genius, invincible, so skilled as to somehow be super strong (never made sense), super humanly fast, has invisibility powers, etc. Then on the other hand, the worst personality ever.

So does that mean you also have a problem with a regular man like Lex Luthor going against Superman? Did you have a problem with Hawkeye and Black Widow in The Avengers? Just curious because by your logic those characters not having powers means they should be confined to a more grounded setting like Batman. Plus you complaining about his physical stats is a bit unfair, most peak human characters are like that. It seems you're letting your hate for the character blind you and are being biased.

I get the feeling you don't like the "BatGod" versions of the character when all popular characters are written like that at some point, not just him. So not liking him for that reason is a little odd since there are moments of "SuperGod" too. And when you say worst personality ever that's ok, it's your opinion but I have a feeling you're talking about the over the top ultra grim Frank Miller esque versions. He isn't always like that, there are a lot of incarnations that are lighter, happier and actually have senses of humor (the early Batman stories from 1939 and the 40's, Adam West Batman, DCAU Batman, Brave and the Bold Batman) It's like how people who don't read Superman assume he's a boring and bland goody two shoes only because that's the misconception they hear from others. Same thing with Batman he's actually funnier and has more personality than people give him credit for.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy:

I get the feeling you don't like the "BatGod" versions of the character when all popular characters are written like that at some point, not just him. So not liking him for that reason is a little odd since there are moments of "SuperGod" too.

Hawkeye/BW would hide and sometimes even die against adversaries, Bats gets an express ticket to beating them nine times out of ten. I like midnighter in that regard because he is inspired by batman, but not justified by Batgod rather that he was 'made' to kick ass and has the means to do so in a believable manner.

I have a feeling you're talking about the over the top ultra grim Frank Miller esque versions.

He ruined batman, batman is a loving father not a disgruntled vet

He isn't always like that, there are a lot of incarnations that are lighter, happier and actually have senses of humor (the early Batman stories from 1939 and the 40's, Adam West Batman, DCAU Batman, Brave and the Bold Batman

that is the batman I like, and the martial arts heavy batman during the 80's before they whored him out to be prepgod.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: The OP said Superman fans would probably get upset at someone saying Cap would beat him. But would be enraged by someone saying Batman would beat him.....which I am, but it goes for pretty much any character below Thor/Wonder Woman level or someone with extreme magical power.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@jack_donaghy:

I get the feeling you don't like the "BatGod" versions of the character when all popular characters are written like that at some point, not just him. So not liking him for that reason is a little odd since there are moments of "SuperGod" too.

Hawkeye/BW would hide and sometimes even die against adversaries, Bats gets an express ticket to beating them nine times out of ten. I like midnighter in that regard because he is inspired by batman, but not justified by Batgod rather that he was 'made' to kick ass and has the means to do so in a believable manner.

I have a feeling you're talking about the over the top ultra grim Frank Miller esque versions.

He ruined batman, batman is a loving father not a disgruntled vet

He isn't always like that, there are a lot of incarnations that are lighter, happier and actually have senses of humor (the early Batman stories from 1939 and the 40's, Adam West Batman, DCAU Batman, Brave and the Bold Batman

that is the batman I like, and the martial arts heavy batman during the 80's before they whored him out to be prepgod.

I think you put it best, Batman is a father not a disgruntled vet, that's the version of him I like most and think that's the way he should always be.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy: Yeah, I like to see him have fun. I want the batman that smiles and slaps hoes.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: @sandman_: If your statements weren't contradictory, I wouldn't have differentiated the two of you. Nyehehehehe! Damn Vegeta avi. :D

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

I love how you word things. It's just perfect.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad: Bob kane would roll on his grave to see his son servicing morrison and miller at night hours to get a his meal on the table.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@ssejllenrad: Bob kane would roll on his grave to see his son servicing morrison and miller at night hours to get a his meal on the table.

Didn't Kane once call out Miller in the 80's for the Dark Knight Returns, saying something along the lines of "you've destroyed the decency of my character?" I know that's a little bit harsh for that story, since it was good and Miller hadn't COMPLETELY gone off the deep end yet, but damn! When the creator of something calls you out on something you did with their character, it's like Morgan Freeman calling out Barrack Obama. Which he did too, come to think of it...

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Miller is a dild0 who ruined batman's image

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deaditegonzo

@jack_donaghy said:

@deaditegonzo said:

So does that mean you also have a problem with a regular man like Lex Luthor going against Superman? Did you have a problem with Hawkeye and Black Widow in The Avengers? Just curious because by your logic those characters not having powers means they should be confined to a more grounded setting like Batman. Plus you complaining about his physical stats is a bit unfair, most peak human characters are like that. It seems you're letting your hate for the character blind you and are being biased.

I get the feeling you don't like the "BatGod" versions of the character when all popular characters are written like that at some point, not just him. So not liking him for that reason is a little odd since there are moments of "SuperGod" too. And when you say worst personality ever that's ok, it's your opinion but I have a feeling you're talking about the over the top ultra grim Frank Miller esque versions. He isn't always like that, there are a lot of incarnations that are lighter, happier and actually have senses of humor (the early Batman stories from 1939 and the 40's, Adam West Batman, DCAU Batman, Brave and the Bold Batman) It's like how people who don't read Superman assume he's a boring and bland goody two shoes only because that's the misconception they hear from others. Same thing with Batman he's actually funnier and has more personality than people give him credit for.

Youre basically correct on both accounts. I enjoyed Kevin Smith's Widening Gyre for example. The Joker was also really well portrayed. Yep, I also hate Frank Miller.

To be fair, "SuperGod" makes sense, because its PIS when he is hurt by gas stations exploding, as he has tanked Supernovas on multiple occasions. Superman is always "SuperGod" except when Batmans around and Superman needs to be nerfed for him.

EDIT TO ADD: I do like Black Widow and Hawkeye in the Avengers movie, especially since they are handled so well and literally stay on the ground defending a city block while the big time heroes cover the entire city. The whole movie showed a distinct difference between say, Hulk and Thor and those two. As should Superman (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Shazam, Martian Manhunter, Captain Atom, ETC ETC ETC)/ Batman comics.

Oh, and as I already debated in another thread, he is responsible for a lot of what is wrong in comics.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman in my opinion is the greatest Comic book character, second only to superman. Its just some of his ravenous Ultra fanatics that annoy me

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: @sandman_: If your statements weren't contradictory, I wouldn't have differentiated the two of you. Nyehehehehe! Damn Vegeta avi. :D

Loading Video...

Still, one of the coolest, if not the coolest, fictional characters ever! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god, this post is beyond accurate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

"^this"

Etc etc

So accurate it hurts.

Lol ya

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Extremis

@theocitylegend:

What's even better is that I've been a member here for maybe a month. It hasn't taken long for me to realize certain trends here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.Longshot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't speak for everyone, but the way I see it, it's typically more a resentment of the "Superman sucks, now Batman, there's a real hero," argument than a resentment of Batman himself. I love Batman, but let's look at the facts here: Who inspires through hope and who cripples through fear? Who has godlike power and still finds a way to be the most human of them all (something Batman himself admitted)? Who's in the middle of almost every Justice League group shot? Okay, that last one was just overkill, but seriously, Superman is one of the greatest icons in modern culture, and he's a symbol of optimism and hope, and yet, whenever somebody wants to tear him down, they bring up Batman and how much better he is. One could argue that he's a more complicated and intriguing character (personally, I think Superman has plenty going on that keeps him interesting), but to say that he's the better hero or a better person is just giving Superman zero credit. I think that's the part that most Superman fans hate, not Batman himself.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get more annoyed with Batman's fanbase. Some of the statements made are mind boggling. I'd be fine ignoring the character, but I hate how he mastered every martial art and has soooo many degrees while having the time to put on the drunk playboy facade. I dislike his "no superpowers" because he clearly has control over time at least. I would hate the idea of MoS making him more popular than Batman because I DESPISE the bandwagon effect.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ciriel said:

I get more annoyed with Batman's fanbase. Some of the statements made are mind boggling. I'd be fine ignoring the character, but I hate how he mastered every martial art and has soooo many degrees while having the time to put on the drunk playboy facade. I dislike his "no superpowers" because he clearly has control over time at least. I would hate the idea of MoS making him more popular than Batman because I DESPISE the bandwagon effect.

Sure, you're saying that you'd hate the idea of MoS making Superman more popular than Batman because we're going to get the SAME kind if shallow, idiotic, and irrational fanboys, just with a Superman angle to them? I agree. I mean, I still want it to do good and will try my best to trim down that kind of idiocy if it ever happened on these forums, but I just KNOW that if Man of Steel does good, then there's going to be an influx of idiots that are going to REALLY push me into almost being ashamed of being a Superman fan as much as they sometimes push me into almost being ashamed of being a Batman fan.

Also, who here thought that Dick Grayson, whether you liked him as Batman or not, was a better fit than Bucky Barnes immediately following Captain America's death after Civil War?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.