Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

DC just announced they are making two new Animated Superman movies.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Kidd  Online

DC just posted their up coming animated movies and two are based off Superman comics.

Rounding out the 2018 releases will be Death of Superman, the first part of the two-parter. Adapting the legendary story of Superman’s fatal battle with Doomsday, this will actually be the second DC Universe Original Movie to adapt the material. The first, 2007’s Superman: Doomsday, was the very first DC Universe Original Movie and greatly condensed and altered the original comic book event to fit within its 75-minute running time. The upcoming adaptation will be more faithful to the source material, much less condensed and will include many of the fan-favorite moments from the story that were left out of Doomsday.

No Caption Provided

Finally, in early 2019, look for Reign of the Supermen, the second part of the two-part adaptation. While we’ll have to wait for an official synopsis to learn all of the details, that name should be a familiar one to Superman fans and suggests we’ll be seeing the rise of the Superman alternates that took his place during the year after his death. (For those unfamiliar with the story, they were Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Last Son of Krypton.) This part of the Death and Return of Superman was greatly simplified in Doomsday, which instead featured a single alternate Superman rather than the four we saw in the comics.

Source

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 The_Kidd  Online

Whiles I'm indifferent to another retelling of 'Superman Vs Doomsday' Reign could be awesome as the extended Superman Family is rarely highlighted.

kroczilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#MAKEDCANIMATIONGREATAGAIN.

can't wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to hear.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

My boi Hank finally getting his due,Reign is easily my most anticipated DC animated film now, ugh 2019.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am glad to hear this news but I am confused at the same time. Are DC continuing with their post-Flashpoint movies and this is something like the Killing Joke, something from the past or in an alternate timeline and etc. , or is it going to happen in the main universe?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SanoHibiki

Alleluia!!! At last something not-Batman-centric.

And yeah, Superman: Doomsday was incredibly meh (still don't know how MoS got all flak for Metropolis' damage and S:D bypassed that completely).

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Already exist a cartoon based on Death and Return of Superman. What sense to create a cartoon on the same story?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: They are releasing a Suicide Squad animated film in the um "Damian" verse.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

It should have been Red Son but noooòoo

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OrangeBat

Why?

We already had Superman: Doomsday which, despite fan whining, actually did the death and return of Superman perfectly, condensing it down to the essentials while getting rid of all the pointless crap around it like everyone and their mamma taking the time to cry about Supes kicking the bucket, Superboy being an edgy toolbag, Hank Henshaw just being an all-round dick because reasons, Coast City going Toast City and Hal Jordan going Psycho Jordan as well as a bunch of other shit that nobody really cares about.

They could have adapted something actually good like Morrison's Action Comics run, Superman: Red Son, Kingdom Come, or hell, anything besides the most overrated garbage in Superman's entire comic history.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Couldn't give less of a shit about DoS but Reign is welcomed with open arms. Really hope they don't use that same sterile art style they been using for all their other movies.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would much rather see a Red Son or Kingdom adaptation that see a Death of Superman movie.

If anything, I think it would be best to make a 13 episode 1 season series of Death of Superman showing everything including lead up and the aftermath and other Superman instead of condensing it 2 movies.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noticed that they stopped making Super films when Nuperman came in to the animated line and have resumed them again.

That guy must've been a jinx.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
    deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Noticed that they stopped making Super films when Nuperman came in to the animated line and have resumed them again.

Superman stopped getting animated films long before... everyone who wasn't Batman did.

Anywho,I hope they do Death Of Superman right. That story has only been done right in the JL/JLU series.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Superman stopped getting animated films long before... everyone who wasn't Batman did.

Anywho,I hope they do Death Of Superman right. That story has only been done right in the JL/JLU series.

Supes still got animated movies all the way till before JL War.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown said:
    @entropy_aegis said:

You're right, but I wouldn't point the finger at 52 Supes . Unbound was terrible & that wasn't New 52. That was also his last solo film.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997: They are releasing a Suicide Squad animated film in the um "Damian" verse.

Oh, for the love of god. It's going to be something like Assault on Arkham, right?

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh for Death

Hype for Reign

Overall wondering why it wasn't Red Son, which was hinted at some time ago (the one that would have me most hype, Secret Identity, would probably be a commercial failure).

Now watch Death be the absolute best version of that story, beating Siegel's and Morrison's versions.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope these are good.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be interesting to see if they include Kon in this adaptation.

He's confirmed for Young Justice, so it's not like there's anything ruling him out of this

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally a Superman animated movie!

They better do Hank justice.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, at least DC is making an animated movie that isn't about Batman (or Damian who was the only other character they were giving animated movies to). Not crazy about them redoing Death of Superman. Granted, the first animated movie sucked, but even the comic story isn't really that great. There are much better Superman stories that deserve an adaption before death of superman gets a 2nd go.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: same. The Superman family is underrated

I want to see John and Conner done justice

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now no more complaints about too many Batman movies right?

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a start finally at least do Kingdom Come as well

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Heck yes

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

sounds awesome. glad they're taking another shot at the Death of Superman.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I'm slowly starting to realize that Superman is a lot more interesting than the stories he's in

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathandGrim2: Wasn't it Neil Gaiman who said Superman and Batman were better than 90% of the stories they were in?

A shame DC and WB only seem interested in Superman to tell his origin, death and turn him evil. There's plenty stories to adapt. Just the other day I read a Maggin story about Superman vs a Yeti that would actually make for a great Lovecraftian film (I'm not kidding, the Yeti had the same effects as Azathoth waking up).

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58: Yea that's kinda how I'm feeling. I love the character but writers can't seem to hash out a good story for him. DOS is officially gonna be adapted 3 times now with this upcoming feature. Seriously an adaptation featuring Cyborg Superman, A Warworld adaptation, Hunter/Prey, For the Man who has everything, I'd even take a N52 story like H'El on Earth or Men of Tomorrow (which would have to be rewritten to make more sense) but we get DOS AGAIN.

It's kinda frustrating lol DC's doing Gotham by Gaslight which is different for Batman but won't take the same risks for Superman

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

While I love it being done properly it's a bit too late considering the one they had out already. Then again if it's as good as Superman vs Elite was i'm good. Hopefully even better.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds cool.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realize so few people like the Death of Superman story...

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:

I didn't realize so few people like the Death of Superman story...

Well, it did spawn one of the worst tropes in comics with death meaning nothing. Now every major character death just means they'll come back in a year or so.

Other than a few good emotional moments, the story is a big dumb mess that brought Superman back with a stupid deus ex machina twist. I think people now realize that it was just a huge marketing stunt rather than an attempt a good story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super!!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:
    @king_krown said:
    @entropy_aegis said:

You're right, but I wouldn't point the finger at 52 Supes . Unbound was terrible & that wasn't New 52. That was also his last solo film.

Stop talking about things that didn't happen.

@quinlan58: Yea that's kinda how I'm feeling. I love the character but writers can't seem to hash out a good story for him. DOS is officially gonna be adapted 3 times now with this upcoming feature. Seriously an adaptation featuring Cyborg Superman, A Warworld adaptation, Hunter/Prey, For the Man who has everything, I'd even take a N52 story like H'El on Earth or Men of Tomorrow (which would have to be rewritten to make more sense) but we get DOS AGAIN.

It's kinda frustrating lol DC's doing Gotham by Gaslight which is different for Batman but won't take the same risks for Superman

Chalk it up to people wanting to go "back to basics" every five years. And with the worst character arcs. Doomsday in particular only shows up to cause mass destruction, which is fun to read in the moment, but will never be as good as the first go-round.

And if Bruce gives up the cowl one more time, Tim just needs to take it and go "No take backs, fam."

Anywho...who do I have to service at DC to get an animated Green Arrow movie based on the Lemire run?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: lol....My bad.

I don't understand DC. Batman has had his share of misses and they'll keep moving forward with him. Superman has a miss or two and they seemly put him on ice. I think DOS was done right once, and that was in the JL/JLU series.

You would think Arrow would get an animated film,especially with his CW series boosting his popularity.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Hopefully the Reign of the Supermen film will be interesting because I've seen enough Death of Superman adaptations as of late.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip:

So it's more the legacy of it that everyone hates? In particular the aftermath of how it effected comics in the 90's?

The story itself? I thought it was fun... I could totally feel the epicness they were going for with every issue... And I first read almost 2 decades after it happened.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By tensor

I just want Kingdom Come

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relloman said:

@rdclip:

So it's more the legacy of it that everyone hates? In particular the aftermath of how it effected comics in the 90's?

The story itself? I thought it was fun... I could totally feel the epicness they were going for with every issue... And I first read almost 2 decades after it happened.

Well, it is indicative of one of the worst problems with comics--the focus on big spectacular stories rather than well written stories that make logical, cohesive sense. DoS was a result of 90's comic thinking with the speculator boom, there are old news broadcasts of non-comic fans buying the issue thinking it will be worth something. And it obviously created the hated trope of meaningless death.

I supposed it was a 'fun' story, but it is nowhere near one of Superman's greatest stories. It does have a few good moments, but at the end of the day, the story is a mess and the way they brought back Supes was a compete cop out. It is influential, but that doesn't mean it is good. If it was just left alone, I wouldn't care, but DC constantly parades it out and tries to recreate it.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

I just want Kingdom Come

Based on the recent DC animated movies, I would need proof that they can still make good movies before I would want them to touch KC.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@rdclip said:

I supposed it was a 'fun' story, but it is nowhere near one of Superman's greatest stories. It does have a few good moments, but at the end of the day, the story is a mess and the way they brought back Supes was a compete cop out. It is influential, but that doesn't mean it is good. If it was just left alone, I wouldn't care, but DC constantly parades it out and tries to recreate it.

I totally agree, as far as Superman stories go, this is nowhere as good as it's hyped up to be. As far as story quality goes, the actual death of Superman is the weakest part, Funeral for a Friend and Reign of the Supermen had much more interesting stories. There are better and more influential Superman stories out there. To quote someone I follow on Twitter "Superman is more than his origin and his death." DC needs to remember that to build up Superman, in both canon and non canon stories.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funeral and absolutely Reign parts are awesome,and yeah I get that those parts don't even have much of Superman in them.the 4 imposters parts were the big amazing sale for me.loved it back then,and still now

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RelloMan

@rdclip: Now it sounds like you're getting more into substance with that comment, but I still don't get what's not to like about the comic itself... For what it is, I mean.

Still sounds more like you hate the legacy then you do the actual story. What's wrong with the story... Other than plot holes, cause every story has those

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.