Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Darkseid War: Superman One-Shot

• 60 results
    MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Don't buy it, It is literally the epitome of a waste of time and money.

Seriously, use that $4 for gas or something.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I finally understand why Superman fans are pissed all the damn time, the Batman and Flash one shots were not spectacular but they were good,this was an atrocity,how did this even get published?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Squalleon

@entropy_aegis said:

I finally understand why Superman fans are pissed all the damn time, the Batman and Flash one shots were not spectacular but they were good,this was an atrocity,how did this even get published?

Lately more and more I see that the majority of Superman problems steam form the editorial. Dragged out events, lack of (or bad) supervision allowing stories like these to get published, lack of direction.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This was such a waste of a tie in issue, even by tie in issue standards. It had little relevance with Darkseid War, didn't tell a story and Superman was inconsistently written. It happens when the writer clearly riffs on the Superman III bar scene for this issue but with a diner and apple pie instead of a bar and alcohol.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

This was such a waste of a tie in issue, even by tie in issue standards. It had little relevance with Darkseid War, didn't tell a story and Superman was inconsistently written. It happens when the writer clearly riffs on the Superman III bar scene for this issue but with a diner and apple pie instead of a bar and alcohol.

It pissed me off so much as a Superman Fan. I was actually looking forward to this more than the rest, but this one-shot offered nothing of substance, other the already known fact that Superman has had a personality change since JL#44. This is probably the first comic I've ever given a one star rating, ever.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tanx OP

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

wow. i new it wasnt going to be great, but i was hoping for an okay issue.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@lvenger said:

wow. i new it wasnt going to be great, but i was hoping for an okay issue.

Nope, prepare for mediocrity, with yet another writer who doesn't get Superman

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Someone ripped off Superman III, lets just take a moment to let that sink in....

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn......

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kiba
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom: TELL HIM IT'S A JOKE! *smashes fist to the table*

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom said:

@rabumalal: @squalleon: @kiba:

This comic is so bad to the point it is funny.

I find nothing funny anymore about bad Superman comics, I have seen so many of them lately, that the joke got old fast.

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell are they doing. Seriously they're ruining superman and no wonder his sales are so low. They need to replace his editorial asap

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that like the whole thing? Him in a diner being crazy? And where is Lois and Clark 2? You know the book with the REAL Superman

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: i know i know, i was reading it with my hand supporting my head but when i have seen this panel i really laughed heartily,after that it continued to be a boring and unoriginal read.

The sad thing is that it didn't want to be a funny panel at all.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

Is that like the whole thing? Him in a diner being crazy? And where is Lois and Clark 2? You know the book with the REAL Superman

A large part of the book is him being in the dinner, demanding pie and make people around him miserable.

Its ugh...its really bad.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here's a quick look at the comic itself.

No Caption Provided

So. Superman is arriving on Earth and a alien wants to get in his way, orbiting the Earth, Superman punches the crap out of the little slime ball from outerspace to the Daily Planet, literally.

He then goes off to eat something. Because he's hungry and wants a apple pie. And everyone knows what they say about americans and apple pie.

No Caption Provided

So the not dead alien releases this black goo before it bails off planet. And while the city is going to hell, Superman is eating his apple pie. And then comes Jimmy. Trying to reason with an infuriated Superman, and we all know how well that works.

And out the window Jimmy goes. Serves him right for interrupting a man eating his apple pie.

No Caption Provided

Well, the dialog pretty much says it all. And who or what saves the day....? A dove. That's right. Not the cries of his pal Jimmy but a bird that landed on Superman shoulder. And that initially Superman tells it to get off and then asks for the bird to not go.

Superman then uses his artic-breath to basically freeze the entire city, and everyone in it, punches the ice and only the black goo is destroyed.

And out goes Superman, to try and find help for his condition.

On a side note... When did Superman started wearing gloves? They're clear as day in the comic. So when did that happened?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Francis Manapul wrote this garbage. This is how DC keep their artists from jumping ship, they give them writing gigs and this is the result. Finch, Tony Daniel, Manapul...they don't even keep the good ones, they keep garbage like Finch and Tony Daniel who between them have a combined IQ of 10

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually looking forward to this. I'd just caved and read SEO vol 3, and I loved it to death. But this... I'm tired of the Superman turns into a super-evil asshole trope.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here's a quick look at the comic itself.

No Caption Provided

So. Superman is arriving on Earth and a alien wants to get in his way, orbiting the Earth, Superman punches the crap out of the little slime ball from outerspace to the Daily Planet, literally.

He then goes off to eat something. Because he's hungry and wants a apple pie. And everyone knows what they say about americans and apple pie.

No Caption Provided

So the not dead alien releases this black goo before it bails off planet. And while the city is going to hell, Superman is eating his apple pie. And then comes Jimmy. Trying to reason with an infuriated Superman, and we all know how well that works.

And out the window Jimmy goes. Serves him right for interrupting a man eating his apple pie.

No Caption Provided

Well, the dialog pretty much says it all. And who or what saves the day....? A dove. That's right. Not the cries of his pal Jimmy but a bird that landed on Superman shoulder. And that initially Superman tells it to get off and then asks for the bird to not go.

Superman then uses his artic-breath to basically freeze the entire city, and everyone in it, punches the ice and only the black goo is destroyed.

And out goes Superman, to try and find help for his condition.

On a side note... When did Superman started wearing gloves? They're clear as day in the comic. So when did that happened?

Ugh...

Why'd you do that

Don't make me re-live it lol

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@toptom: Probably will end up on Atop the Fourth Wall. Just a question of when.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

I was actually looking forward to this. I'd just caved and read SEO vol 3, and I loved it to death. But this... I'm tired of the Superman turns into a super-evil asshole trope.

I never expected anyone to love E1 3. I guess it could be a good time-waster but love? That's new.

Francis Manapul wrote this garbage. This is how DC keep their artists from jumping ship, they give them writing gigs and this is the result. Finch, Tony Daniel, Manapul...they don't even keep the good ones, they keep garbage like Finch and Tony Daniel who between them have a combined IQ of 10

Francis had some acclaimed runs in Flash and a well-received run in Tec with Buccellato, personally I find their writing lacking (a lot) but Manapul teams with Buccellato their art is stunning, the cover of this horrible issue is my background.

@drmagic said:

What the hell are they doing. Seriously they're ruining superman and no wonder his sales are so low. They need to replace his editorial asap

Rumor has it, an editor has blackmail on an executive.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: It's easy to love something when there is very little to be found worth loving, if that makes sense to you

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Squalleon

@reactor said:

@squalleon: It's easy to love something when there is very little to be found worth loving, if that makes sense to you

It does. I guess it was better than most current Superman titles.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeezus?

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crap. If only I had seen this sooner..............I bought the issue. Dropped Hercules just to read this damn.......

OOCMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: I don't want to make you feel sad or anything but, Hercules was good.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By micah007123

@rabumalal: I knew it was gonna be good, but I really wanted to see the whole "God of Strength" thing for Superman develop. I want my money back lol.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage:

Ugh...

Why'd you do that

Don't make me re-live it lol

Because if you're gonna say it's bad, then at least give readers a view or review of the comic itself.

Yeah, it was bad. But just saying it so, doesn't help.

This way people can get a real look at what happened and why. And then they can arrive at their own conclusions.

Basically I did your job for you.

But seeing this is a community we're here to help out each other if we can, and so I made your point valid. That the story was indeed bad.

Not that The Flash story was any better. Confusing as hell. The only one that actually was worth something was Batman part of the Darkseid War.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MaxSavage

@heavenlydarkdragon: I jested lol

And yes I agree, Flash was one a little confusing, because I wasn't sure how much of it happened in his head or how much it was real (did he leave and come back?), but I enjoyed it as a whole. It had character, you heard Barry's voice (unlike Clark's in Superman's one-shot), along with a little depth as to why Flash would "choose" to continue being death.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Manapul is a good artist though obviously not a good writer. I can see why they would keep him, but Finch? and Tony Daniel? I don't know why they would bend over backwards to keep those, at the expense of an iconic character like Wonder Woman, it's beyond me

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Manapul is a good artist though obviously not a good writer. I can see why they would keep him, but Finch? and Tony Daniel? I don't know why they would bend over backwards to keep those, at the expense of an iconic character like Wonder Woman, it's beyond me

They seem to have a fanbase or star value. Personally I find them bland. But you can't deny they do have a certain name, I just don't know if the people they bring in are as much as they lose.
    The most recent example was JRJR . Teased as this big artist that would supposedly bring people in, yet I believe most didn't pick the title because of him.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was actually a nice break from the "Truth" storyline in some respects. Superman hadn't been outed as Clark Kent or lost his powers yet, so we got to see him in a Metropolis where he's still universally beloved (and not just in his neighborhood), where Perry White and Jimmy Olson trust him to save the day, and where he can, yes, stop for a slice of apple pie at a dinner and have people strike up conversations with him and want his autograph.

And, though, the general changes to the New 52 Superman prior to the "Truth" storyline were things I've had mixed feelings about, I've always liked that they got rid of the trunks (In the 1930s, they were recognizable as symbolizing him as a "strong man", whereas to anyone born after, say, 1950, they just look ridiculous) and that he calls Jimmy Olson "Jim" and considers him a friend and an equal (Perhaps due to them being closer in age than in prior timelines). That Clark voluntarily revealed his identity to Jim before anyone else (Apart from Lana, of course) in this timeline was very interesting, and I like the friendship between the two of them where they were roommates at one point and play video games and so on and so forth.

Having said all that, yes, this story was not the best. It's kind of sad that I'm getting to the point where it's an unexpected plus that Superman is Clark Kent's secret identity and where Perry White and Jimmy Olson are on good terms with him, and so on and so forth, but that's where we are. Even the new Lois and Clark line doesn't do that, became it's alt-Superman is living on the west coast in a different role with different friends and co-workers.

I'm not opposed to the "Truth" storyline overall- I mean, with all the Superman comics that come out every month and all the ones they've done for so many decades, you sometimes have to shake up the status quo and do story-arcs that expand who the character is. However, I think it's about time that they wrapped it up. It's dragging on too long and not providing interesting stories. How about giving Clark his powers and his secret identity back? I'm not saying it should be a total reset, I'm a fan of having story arcs mean something to the future of the characters, but that could be done here in a smaller way. Clark could remember what happened, and maybe a few select others. He and Lois might have things to work out. Maybe some of the things Perry said and did, which Perry probably remember as the result of whatever resets things, could be stuff that sticks with Clark and leads to a more adversarial relationship between him and his editor. Maybe Clark goes back to blogging or working for the Star again for a while after a few months of that.

The truth storyline is fine as an idea, and it should continue to have consequences beyond the story-arc itself, but it's time to bring the main storyarc to an end on it's major points- the power loss thing and people all knowing who Clark is. There should be repercussions, but it's time to make Superman Superman again.

It's not as bad as Dick Gordon taking over as robo-Batman ("I'm Batman and you're under arrest"? Give me a break. That's not just changing who's under the cowl, that's taking the concept of Batman and stomping all over it. Jim Gordan as Batman saying Superman wasn't really Superman repeatedly in one of the Batman-Superman comics was stunning in it's hypocrisy. Superman is more Superman even now than Jim Gordon is Batman.), but it's time to wrap things up.

Obviously, these changes can't be permanent. If they want a character who can't fly with no secret identity who wanders around beating guys up and doing prize fights, they should create that character and give him his own book. You don't throw away the most iconic character in comic book history to morph him into that long-term.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, we're all in agreement that Darkseid War is taking place pre-Truth and pre-Dick Gordon/Batman, right? I don't mind them progressing Justice League a bit slower so it can finish it's story-arc, but if it turns out that this is the future, it'd mean that the Superman and Batman storyarcs of late had no meaning or consequences whatsoever. It's got to be in the past.

And, actually, while I'm getting sick of the Truth storyline in general, it'd be neat if they kept Justice League running "behind" in the timeline long enough for us to see how Truth-Superman and Dick Gordon-Batman factor into the League or don't. I'd like to see those storylines in the other books wrap up, but they should keep Justice League in the past for a few months extra so we can see what happens when Superman and Batman undergo their changes before catching it up. So far, all we've really seen of the League interacting with the Truth Superman is the whole Superman trying to fly into the sun thing (Apart from Superman-Batman, where it's not clear if either character is in the League at that time, and Superman-Wonder Woman, which isn't really about the League).

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MaxSavage
    @supercrab said:

By the way, we're all in agreement that Darkseid War is taking place pre-Truth and pre-Dick Gordon/Batman, right? I don't mind them progressing Justice League a bit slower so it can finish it's story-arc, but if it turns out that this is the future, it'd mean that the Superman and Batman storyarcs of late had no meaning or consequences whatsoever. It's got to be in the past.

And, actually, while I'm getting sick of the Truth story-line in general, it'd be neat if they kept Justice League running "behind" in the timeline long enough for us to see how Truth-Superman and Dick Gordon-Batman factor into the League or don't. I'd like to see those story-lines in the other books wrap up, but they should keep Justice League in the past for a few months extra so we can see what happens when Superman and Batman undergo their changes before catching it up. So far, all we've really seen of the League interacting with the Truth Superman is the whole Superman trying to fly into the sun thing (Apart from Superman-Batman, where it's not clear if either character is in the League at that time, and Superman-Wonder Woman, which isn't really about the League).

I think this is a secret DC event, a secret reboot if you will. Think about it, if this is happening in either the past or future, it means all that we're reading right now doesn't matter at all in the long run. I think what's happening now in the "Darkseid War Saga" and "Truth/Batman/Lantern) arcs are all going to coincide and change things.

Or nothing happens and ill be pissed lol

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: So two alternate timelines/universes that eventually get merged together or interact in some way?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I know they have a fan base, as hard as that is to believe, but combined Finch and Tony Daniel have less twitter followers than a lot of artists on Marvel's roster, they must have a lot of fans in China

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not like this

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet another piece of evidence that demonstrates that it's never a good idea for an artist to write the story for a comic book.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

Yet another piece of evidence that demonstrates that it's never a good idea for an artist to write the story for a comic book.

Kirby was an artist, Eisner was an artist, Barks was an artist, Miller was an artist and the list goes on.

Because Manapul wasn't good that doesn't mean artists in general shouldn't get offered writting jobs if they show potential. Some would say that comics written and illustrated by the same man are better due to the singular vision.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.