Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

CW Says Smallville May Air Beyond Season 9

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Is Smallville strong enough to last beyond Season 9?  Season 8 started out a little weak but things began to pick up midway.  Sci Fi Wire has reported that Dawn Ostroff, the president of entertainment for The CW, has said that they are not done with Smallville just yet.  Reports have placed Season 9 as the last for the show but Ostroff hopes that isn't the case.

It should be no surprise that they would want one of their biggest shows to continue.  The question is, do the fans want it to continue?  On September 25, the show debuts in its new time slot.  No longer on Thursdays, it will be seen if the show can survive the dreaded Friday night time slot.  Shows of this genre often seem to wither away and die on Friday nights.

Ostroff is also hoping that Michael Rosenbaum will reprise his role as Lex Luthor.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I don't know if it will happen this season. I don't know if we really actually had a conversation with Michael, but I think the idea was to keep the character alive and make his presence really felt.

Are you looking forward to the show's return?  Will we ever see Clark as Superman?  Do you want to see the return of Lex?  What other characters (besides the legally tied up Batman and Wonder Woman) would you like to see on the show?  Does it even make sense to still call the show "Smallville"?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

I still think the shows name should be changed to METROPOLIS or something..... 

But if this goes on then it would be awesome..... Season 8 was cool... I though it ended a little on the soft side... not much of a big cliffhanger...... but it was still good nevertheless....  

As long as Chloe continues in the show Im game
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

This should end it's only good episode last season was the one written by Geoff Johns if they think the way to make Superman work is make him dark then they don't get it in the first place. This show probably won't make it towards the end of this season I hate to say it but Smackdown on Friday nights has been the highest rated show in the past couple of years Smallville might not last long before CW pulls the plug.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I didn't even know this show was still on.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By pixelized

More Zatanna please

Rod12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Rod12

I am excited for the upcoming Season 9 of Smallville and I am a fan of the show. An I'm ok if they go beyond Season-9 but only do that if they move forward more into the Superman Comic Book Universe because I don't want see a Season 13 and he still can't fly and he still doesn't become the Superman from the comics and they still don't have Lex back yet and he and Lois Lane are still not in the relationship from the Superman Comics. Basically I'm ok if they go beyond Season 9 only if they stop slowing down the Process of Clark Kent becoming Superman that we all know and love from the Comics. In the Comics it didn't take this long for Clark Kent to learn how to fly I understand if the shows creators and the writers who help run the show didn't want to see him in the suit right away but at least you could of had him flying by now. Oh and G-Man I read somewhere that at the Comic Con 09 Panel someone asked about the whole shows title being called Smallville and the Current Producers/Writer of the show Brian Peterson said the shows kind of called Smallville: Metropolis Years hope that helps with your question.

TehLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TehLantern

Decent show..

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jefprice

every season it's the same thing, this may be the last one. and every year since season six we've been hearing rumors of a show spin off metropolis where clark may be more then clark. and yet here we are again.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3

They should have a 10th  season  then do a spin-off  TV series  called METROPOLIS  ( Clark  becomes Superman and learn s how to fly) and Michael Rosenbaum comes back as Lex's.

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I'm a big fan of this show . As long as Tom Welling is Clark,I will still watch it. Seson 8 was really good. I hope Darkseid appears in season  9's  final episodes. Here are characters  I would like to see on the show next: 
    Huntress  
    Professor Hamilton
     Captain Marvel 
    Green Lantern(John Stewart)      
    Metallo 
    Brainiac 5 
    The Legion of Super Heroes that didn't appear  on Smallville 
    Cyborg Superman 
    Static Shock(If possible) 
    Atom 
    Big Barda 
    Darkseid 
    Captain Atom 
    The Return of Doomsday 
    Doomsday Clones 
    Bizarro clones 
    Doctor Fate 
    Doctor Light(Kimiyo Hoshi) 
    Solomon Grundy 
    Plastic Man 
    Power Girl  
     Question 
    Steel 
    Superman Prime(It they decide to make a season 10) 
    All American Boy 
    I will wacth this even if they made go all the way to a season 15. I think they are trying to come with an episode to make Clark Kent Superman,but they don't have any ideas for that yet. That why it must be talking Clark so long to be come Superman.

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Vindellavon

I see no end in sight.

IGMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IGMAN

IM STILL A BIG FAN OF SMALLVILLE EVEN THOUGH SEASONS 8/9 WERENT THAT GREAT 4 ME....BUT I DONT KNOW WHY ITS STILL CALLED SMALLVILLE ITS TAKING PLACE IN METROPOLIS?....BUT IM TIRED OF THE RED/BLUE BLUR CONCEPT. I HOPE THEY DEAL WITH THAT BETTER....I WANT LEX TO COME BACK....I WOULDNT MIND SEEING SUPERGIRL BACK?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Yup yup, I'm still a major fan of this show and would probably watch it for as long as they continued to put it out there. Some episodes are weak and just filler but that's okay cause sometimes you get episodes like "Legion" or "Justice" (think that what it was called anyway). I was disappointed that the climatic final battle between Doomsday and Superman lasted all of two seconds. Lame. But oh well, maybe they'll come with something stronger this season to make up for it.

"Its a bird, its a plane, its....another two more years of Smallvile?"  I'm game

frogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frogger

@pixelized:
     More Zatanna please    

I 2nd that. more Serinda Swan    
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By King_Saturn
    I still like the show... its awesome to me... they should show have my boy Jett Jackson aka The Cyborg in season 9 or 10... I wouldnt mine seeing Captain Marvel either... they could get Ricky Ullman to play Billy Baston... ha ha ha
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Decept-O

As I always say:  Is this show still on?  O.K., enough being a smart-aleck.  I have a question IF anyone wants to answer.  Why are Batman and Wonder Woman "tied up" in legal issues?  How is it possible?  Is CW owned by Warner Bros. or am I wrong?   Isn't DC also owned by Warner Bros.?   

If someone could clarify without being a smart-ass about it, I'd appreciate it very much and if you have any links or sources to help.   

I'd watch the show ONLY if Clark suited up at least once and if Batman or Wondie pops up.  Still can't get past a lot of the craptastic elements of this show but I did initially like it.  *sigh*
    Perspective91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Perspective91

I have a bunch of the Seasons, but the last season or two I've just stopped watching It.
    LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LoganRogue24

season 8 was hit and miss evrey episode i think the two episodes that were high were Bloodline and Legion. i hope they bring back Laura Vandervoort aka Kara Kent.
    RedGhostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedGhostman

They should do it all if anything in this season. Chloe. Out. Lex. Out. (No offense Michael) Lois. In. Green Lantern. Apokolips. Superman. Badass, man. For God's sake, just get the ball rolling. Last season except for the legion and a couple episodes, YAWN. If I see or hear about Lana Lang I will stop watching it. I liked the idea of a Metropolis spinoff. I would be okay with that. But the only episodes that seem to work are the ones with the justice leaguer appearances. They need to stop wasting time and write something, dammit. 

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By The Sadhu

I only got interested in the show once Bart Allen showed up. Lets see how season 9 goes before we worry about season 10 

As for other characters to make an appearance on Smallville... 

Steel 
    Captain Marvel... but I'll be happy if even Billy Batson just showed up! 
    Darkseid 
    Return of Lex Luthor 
    The Question 
    Static Shock 
    Power Girl
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Suigetsu

LMAO.. green arrow is like a Robin Hood Ripofff.
    Except he is a rich playboy that doesnt give money to the poor...

I would like to see Lois and Clark finally gettin together cause I already got tired of seeing her jumping from guy to guy except clark.

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

PLEASE! Someone! ANYONE! Kill this monster of a terrible tv show before it further destroys the good name of Superman!

MJ Styles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MJ Styles

HMM.  I'm sensing some mixed reviews on the show.  How were the first couple of seasons?  Worth getting in to?

MadOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MadOmegaMan

I think they should bring in Bruce Wayne as he travelled the world before he became batman.  
    My problem is that they made Doomsday way too simpathetic. This guy is a vicous killing machine people!
    RedFux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedFux

oh god... This serial has neverending story......

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tyler Starke

terrible terrible show

Reaper 13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Reaper 13

I like the show and all but the thing that gets me is they have Clark taking out some of his more difficult enemies but he still does not use or even know of his full powers yet.  The way they ended the doomsday arc was kinda weak if you ask me even if we pretend the show is a different reality or what not.    

Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Obsurity

I've been watching this show since it started. It's not as bad as a lot of people think. With that being said this last season was ok at best so I would like to see the series end on a good note ie ending with the tv movie. Clark definitely needs to fly and get together with Lois.
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28  Edited By Green ankh

I didnt watch till season 6 and not faithfully till 7. But i really like the show. Not every episode mind you but it is among the shows i look forward to. I think it has more interest now then ever. I would like to see more.
    Avatar image for marvel_minimates
    marvel minimates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By marvel minimates
    @Rod12:
    thats basicaly a superman tv show
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kurrent
    @Gambler said:
    " Yup yup, I'm still a major fan of this show and would probably watch it for as long as they continued to put it out there. Some episodes are weak and just filler but that's okay cause sometimes you get episodes like "Legion" or "Justice" (think that what it was called anyway). I was disappointed that the climatic final battle between Doomsday and Superman lasted all of two seconds. Lame. But oh well, maybe they'll come with something stronger this season to make up for it.

"Its a bird, its a plane, its....another two more years of Smallvile?"  I'm game "
    Did Johns write Both of those...lol he should be a main writer
    TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBug

Please just end this show. The writing hasgotten terrible, and it seems to just be dragging along without a plot. Have a Green Lantern episode, put Clark in tights, and close the curtains.
    LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LastSon1027

I absolutely LOVE Smallville and I would watch it for as long as it is on the air but on the other hand I would love to see Tom Welling take over the big screen role of Superman. But I think since I am planning on going to Comic Con in SD next year I hope they go at least one more season so I can go to a Smallville Panel.  Plus they would be done filming by 2011 so they could totally start production on a Supes movie with TW in time to meet the legal requirement.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Media_Master

I'm still interested in seeing what they will do.

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 04nbod

I love this show, its not shakespeare but its good fun. I want Brainiac 5 back as something other than an egg and Kara back, how stupid were the writers to get rid of her. Her episode in season 8 was the highest rated of the year.

glrayner85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By glrayner85
    @Rod12 said:
    "I am excited for the upcoming Season 9 of Smallville and I am a fan of the show. An I'm ok if they go beyond Season-9 but only do that if they move forward more into the Superman Comic Book Universe because I don't want see a Season 13 and he still can't fly and he still doesn't become the Superman from the comics and they still don't have Lex back yet and he and Lois Lane are still not in the relationship from the Superman Comics. Basically I'm ok if they go beyond Season 9 only if they stop slowing down the Process of Clark Kent becoming Superman that we all know and love from the Comics. In the Comics it didn't take this long for Clark Kent to learn how to fly I understand if the shows creators and the writers who help run the show didn't want to see him in the suit right away but at least you could of had him flying by now. Oh and G-Man I read somewhere that at the Comic Con 09 Panel someone asked about the whole shows title being called Smallville and the Current Producers/Writer of the show Brian Peterson said the shows kind of called Smallville: Metropolis Years hope that helps with your question. "

In past interviews it was said the reason he does not fly was because when he does he ceases to be clark and then becomes more superman and the show is about him but before his heroics as superman and the public knowledge of him.
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

The first few seasons were pretty good. Clark just seems to be totally completely lost now after graduating high school. I have a hard time believing that he will one day become the same character that we all recognize working at the Daily Planet and fighting crime. There have been a number of instances where he should have made the choice to further and accept his "destiny", and wouldn't. What's keeping the show going is Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Chloe. I've been following the show off and on. The show needs to reflect some kind of change, rather than keeping Clark locked up. Is he even going to community college or is he working the farm? How is he going to end up as the scoop-meister of the Planet? I have a hard time believing that it all hinges on his ability to get the story on Superman...The should call it Metropolis, or end it and shift it to focus on Superman. How many more stories can you tell about Clark not becoming what he supposed to be? 

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Kurrent: I think he just wrote the "Legion" episode. But this season he'll be writing an episode that features the JSA. F'n badass.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bruce Vain

I can see it continuing it if they change into Metropolis and make it more about him being Superman.  

And so far they did a nice job with Toyman,Brainiac and surprisingly Doomsday and from what I've seen in the teaser Metallo looks badass. So I can see it keep going pass season 9.
    reverseshazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By reverseshazam

I think Billy Batson/ Captain Marvel would be perfect to guest star. 
    We need Clark in costume, come on isn't  he like 30 years old, he's not superboy anymore.

Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Luthorcrow

It was a clever idea that should have ended when he graduate high school.  The first 4 seasons were the best.  But my God KILL Lana Lang off for good, please.  Bury that character under a mountain of dirt already.  I get sick of the keep bringing her skinny ass back.

That said at this rate Sups is going to be 30 before he puts on the suit.  Its getting really contrived on the excuses they are coming up with for him avoiding his destiny.

Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CrimsonComedian

It's gonna go DDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN... Friday? Uh-oh. If Season 8 was on Fridays, I would've missed every episode. 

But I do agree... They shoulda ended it after his dad died. Like they shoulda made that the last episode or something?

Avatar image for stephencantrell
    stephencantrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stephencantrell

i absolutely love smallvile  i do think that it needs to be changed to superman it has went to far as smallville but this show it one if the best there has ever been i hope they continue for a long time

Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sidney
    @johnny spam said:
    "This should end it's only good episode last season was the one written by Geoff Johns if they think the way to make Superman work is make him dark then they don't get it in the first place. This show probably won't make it towards the end of this season I hate to say it but Smackdown on Friday nights has been the highest rated show in the past couple of years Smallville might not last long before CW pulls the plug. "

SD is on MNTV and pulls around 1.8 type ratings. SV gets way better ratings then that. But the show should just end. It sucked royally. And they made Clark into a bitch and get outshine by Green Arrow. Storylines suck and the fights are terrible. I do not want drama all the time. I want action.
    Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sidney
    @Luthorcrow said:
    "It was a clever idea that should have ended when he graduate high school.  The first 4 seasons were the best.  But my God KILL Lana Lang off for good, please.  Bury that character under a mountain of dirt already.  I get sick of the keep bringing her skinny ass back.  That said at this rate Sups is going to be 30 before he puts on the suit.  Its getting really contrived on the excuses they are coming up with for him avoiding his destiny. "

They should of had this be a Superboy tv show were he is Superboy before Superman fighting crime. And facing off against some of his villians and joining the JLOS. And yes end it after he graduated from high school.
    Avatar image for crimsonthunder1
    Crimson Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By Crimson Thunder

Just make him Superman and get it over with

scottydogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By scottydogg927

well this is prob. my favorite show .....they should not put a batman and wonder woman in it ....how would that make since clark kent (red-blue blur) if there was no superman it would not be right to have a batman..and wonderwoman ....maybe they should use the wonder girl from the teen titans...since they already have cyborg...and kid flash ...and maybe make up a kid batman...like a batboy....i dont know ...they have already messed so much with the background  or superman...that why not batman...or just use robin in his place.....but they should def. not stop after 9 ...or a JL show ...that would be cool...

FallenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By FallenX

Well I'm hoping Season 9 wont be the last.There's so much more to show.I'm hoping that Kara will returns at least as a guest star like how Kristin Kreuk(Lana) was in Season 8.About Lex,it wasn't a big secret that he hasn't died.We all knew that Lex can't go out from the show like this  :D   
    If they keep Clark wearing that S symbol with his coat in the end we can even see the original superman costume than the show will stay  because a lot of people would watch it than. 
    I hope there'll be more.
    Edmond Dantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Edmond Dantes

I agree with sora, as long as Chloe is there I'm in. And it really should be called Metropolis by now.

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By grimreaper1980

well then, he'd better wear a non spandex superman suit, or what is the point of going on

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MKF30

There WILL be a season 10, they said it already in other interviews and Welling and Durance already signed for a 10th season... 

I just hope he dones the suit already or one like it, the concept suit for Smallville is sick!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.