Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Cory Barlog's Opinion On A Superman Video Game

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

“Superman was created at a time when we needed some idealistic, perfect person to aspire to, which is why he is so flawless. Like, literally, he almost has no flaws. And he’s extremely hard to work with when you’re talking at an interactive level,” he said. “The one flaw, and I don’t think it’s really a flaw, it’s just who we are as human beings, is the idea of caring. I think the best thing you can do with a Superman game is to kind of explore the psychology of what it would be like to be a person who slowly begins to realize that he can’t save everybody.”

“I would not have him flying. I think he would have his ability of speed so you would feel like you’re playing a Flash game at the beginning. And I think for me the loop would start you out and you wouldn’t be able to fight anybody,” Barlog said. “You would be taking care of things that are less sort of fisticuffs so that you start to get your feet wet, and then the first time a baddie appears, somebody who is kind of an antagonistic force…you would feel just as uneasy as Superman would be. This would feel more like an origin story, like a Spider-Man 1 kind of feel that he is just figuring this out.

” […] as you get to the beginning of the third act, you realize, as Superman, that the brute force method of fisticuffs, the idea of constantly trying to chase your tail to save people individually, is not working. You have to figure out a different way because the ultimate goal, psychologically, to maintain some kind of sanity, is to actually try and save everybody. It’s a great, idealistic, fantastic concept, but fairly impossible.”

Fairly long breakdown of what he'd do. May be controversial among some Old School Fans, but I do trust him after what he did with GOW 4. The mechanics may be a hard sell for some, since he won't be flying in Part 1 and I would think that he's make up for it with a really good story and the eventual promise of him being able to fly. If ever done I hope he take a gander at T-Shirt Superman (I miss you blue) if he wanted to go that route, it aligns perfectly with what he wants to do.

Link- https://www.cbr.com/superman-video-game-cory-barlog/?view=list&utm_content=buffer317b9&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jogga

If I wanted a good Superman story, I’d read the comics. None of this sounds like a Superman story, but rather another moapy attempt to make Superman more like a sad Peter Parker.

Doesn’t seem like the guy actually understands Superman at all, actually. People want a Superman game because they want to experience being Superman. Stripping away stuff like flight is literally the opposite of that. It’s supposed to be about gameplay and fun. Superman is about saving people, romancing Lois Lane, and punching Lex Luthor in the face.

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
    DarkPsychicLord_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He pretty much shares my opinion on Superman.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quinlan58

I partially agree with that take on Superman, but it'd make for a pretty boring videogame. He'd have to ramp up on the investigative journalist angle to make up for the initial lack of action.

Nobody wants a Superman that constantly complains about how much it sucks to have superstrength, superspeed, and invulnerability.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I get why it’s so hard for game developers to make a good Superman game but this alternative completely dilutes the appeal of the character and misses the point of him entirely.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

I partially agree with that take on Superman, but it'd make for a pretty boring videogame. He'd have to ramp up on the investigative journalist angle to make up for the initial lack of action.

Nobody wants a Superman that constantly complains about how much it sucks to have superstrength, superspeed, and invulnerability.

I could see that as a cool mechanic in the game. Going around and finding side missions as a reporter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.