Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can Superman vibrate through things?

• 75 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@lvenger: Thanks man.

And it's nice to see that they're both from Loeb's run, should be a fun read :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@2cool4fun: Before he went off the deep end, Loeb was still a pretty fun writer in the late 90s-early 2000s.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jogga said:

@foamborn:

Dick measuring has been around the comicbook world from the beginning.

Superman and Batman have been written to be very condescending to eachother for some time because of it, despite both obviously being above that in their own books.

The "who would win between Batman and Superman" and "Flash and Superman" questions have VERY obvious winners (Superman and The Flash, respectively) but in the long run, it'll never really matter. They've been around for too long for that. Every single writer is going to put what THEY think would likely happen (i.e. what they WANT to happen) than what will most likely happen.

Same goes for Marvel. They usually do the exact same thing.

Great then I'll just read Saga and East of West since women are so sh*t everywhere in the comic world.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SodamYat

@saren said:

@foamborn said:

@saren said:

Honestly, if Superman was depicted as being super quick relative to someone like Wonder Woman ---- which, incidentally, he has been, plenty of times ---- would you actually consider it legitimate or just complain some more about Superman making everyone else redundant and therefore it's not real?

The #1 question DC writers keep trying to give their answers to is "Who'd win in a fight, Batman or Superman?". Do you know what the #2 question is? "Who'd win a race, Flash or Superman?". There's been a dozen plus races between Flash and Superman throughout DC history. They never ask if Wonder Woman could win a race against the Flash. It doesn't even figure in the discussion.

Sure, Superman generally isn't as fast as the Flash, but you don't have to be as fast as the Flash to vibrate through things. Flash can vibrate through time and to alternate universes, Superman may not be able to do that, but he can handle solid matter just fine.

Honestly I'd give DC the middle finger and try my best to get into the Marvel Universe which is frankly more horizontal than this ridiculous dick measuring contest that the dcu has unfortunately become. They might as well give Superman a ring powered by chauvinistic greed which Superman and his fan base have a bottomless supply of eh eh

You must not read much Marvel if you think they're any different. At any given point of time, with any given iteration, the Avengers has at least two members who are literally useless and do absolutely nothing but make pithy observations while Thor, Hulk and Iron Man do the heavy lifting to Captain America's drumbeat. Nowadays they have about five or six.

There's an idea for a story. And this new greed-empowered Superman would then have to fight Wonder Woman, who now wields a Sinestro Corps ring to reflect the existential dread that seems to infect her fan base whenever someone says Superman's name. And wouldn't you know it, it ends in Superman winning and taking her ring for even more power. Ain't that just the way?

i woudlnt say her fan base has the existential dread. I'd say foamborn and one other user are the ones always whining and that starts arguments amongst themselves(the fanbase) and thats what makes them look bad. "All it takes is a few"

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: How are they so s$#t?

Did I even imply they were?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FoamBorn

@jogga said:

@foamborn: How are they so s$#t?

Did I even imply they were?

Never mind, I've got a chip on my shoulder.

BlueForBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the original TV series with George Reeves fron the 1950s supermen vibrates his molecular structure fast enough to allow him to pass through a solid wall. Episode number 95 The Mysterious Cube.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By toptom

@foamborn said:

Superman is not almost as fast as the Flash and he cannot vibrate through anything. Feats that portray his speed as being in that kind of level are PIS. Superman has got to stop transgressing into everyone else's domains, the Flash deserves to be special too.

Do you know that Superman's got super-speed even before the flash,right?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FoamBorn

@toptom said:

Yes but having superspeed and being almost as fast as the Flash are two enormously different concepts. Superman can still be exceptionally quick without robbing the Flash of his uniqueness, and for no good reason.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Superman can obviously vibrate through things.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By toptom

@foamborn said:

@toptom said:

Yes but having superspeed and being almost as fast as the Flash are two enormously different concepts. Superman can be still exceptionally quick without robbing the Flash of his uniqueness, and for no good reason.

Ok,so you do know that. However being able to phase (and this goes just for pre-52 superman and not for his new-52 version) doesn't mean that he is as fast as the flash:if the Barry taps into the speed force he becomes way faster than Clark and he could use many different abilities that Superman doesn't have, like the speed steal or lending his speed or god knows what else.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By KingOfKings1

Yes

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, ad least not New-52 Superman.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: "When will you all learn that new 52 superman can do whatever he wants,it doesn't matter if you want him to are not,he is the man who does the imaginable."

DUDE I am so drawing up a superhero named "Mr. Imaginable" the superhero who does exactly what you think he will do.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let’s see.

Silver Age Superman – yes, he could (though right question will be – what he wasn’t capable of doing).

Pre-New-52 Superman – he as well can vibrate through solid matter.

Lois and Clark’ Superman – once demonstrated similar ability.

New-52 Superman – he hadn’t done any phasing yet, but comparing his and Pre-New-52 Superman’ speed feats, that should be well within his capabilities.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom said:

@foamborn said:

@toptom said:

Yes but having superspeed and being almost as fast as the Flash are two enormously different concepts. Superman can be still exceptionally quick without robbing the Flash of his uniqueness, and for no good reason.

Ok,so you do know that. However being able to phase (and this goes just for pre-52 superman and not for his new-52 version) doesn't mean that he is as fast as the flash:if the Barry taps into the speed force he becomes way faster than Clark and he could use many different abilities that Superman doesn't have, like the speed steal or lending his speed or god knows what else.

Barry can't do any of those things, you are talking about Wally West who controls kinetic energy.

Yes he can.

Superman isn't almost has fast has the Flash, he's faster.

We all know Superman can move at speeds multiple times faster than light. The Flash can't. Or to be more accurate, if he goes beyond the light speed barrier, he reaches what is known to all speedsters connected to the Speed Force has the "Terminal Velocity".

What? All Barry, Bart and Wally can run massively faster than light. Wally stated that it takes 2 steps for him to reach the speed of light when he starts running.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirneko:

Sorry but you're mistaken.

All speedsters connected to the Speed Force can train to achieve light speed in a manner of seconds, but that doesn't mean they can go massively faster than light. Has I stated before, breaking the light speed barrier to speedsters connected to the SF usually means death.

It's why they call it Terminal Velocity.

And although in the past it meant that the speedster became part of SF itself, later it was introduced the one they called the Black Flash. An entity at the service of the SF that hunted down and killed all speedsters that broke into the Terminal Velocity.

Look it up on the web, and you'll see.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SirNeko

@heavenlydarkdragon said:

@sirneko:

Sorry but you're mistaken.

All speedsters connected to the Speed Force can train to achieve light speed in a manner of seconds, but that doesn't mean they can go massively faster than light. Has I stated before, breaking the light speed barrier to speedsters connected to the SF usually means death.

It's why they call it Terminal Velocity.

And although in the past it meant that the speedster became part of SF itself, later it was introduced the one they called the Black Flash. An entity at the service of the SF that hunted down and killed all speedsters that broke into the Terminal Velocity.

Look it up on the web, and you'll see.

Look what on the web? I read the comics, they went past light speed all the time. Wally already stated that in 2 steps he can run faster than Tachyon particles which move faster than speed of light.

Also there is when he fought Zoom and covered every inch of the world in less than a second which is massively faster than light.

No Caption Provided

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirneko:

And of course you're sources are from the pre-N52.

Way back to before the Infinite Crisis. Do I have to point out how crazy things were back then.

And the fact remains that you're just focusing on a one time occasion, and not the rule.

By the same account I could give you dozens of examples that prove my point. But I'm not even go into this anymore. The fact that you're putting aside facts like the terminal velocity and the black Flash, shows you're only gonna see what you want to see.

So I'm not wasting more of my time with this.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By SirNeko

@heavenlydarkdragon said:

@sirneko:

And of course you're sources are from the pre-N52.

Way back to before the Infinite Crisis. Do I have to point out how crazy things were back then.

And the fact remains that you're just focusing on a one time occasion, and not the rule.

By the same account I could give you dozens of examples that prove my point. But I'm not even go into this anymore. The fact that you're putting aside facts like the terminal velocity and the black Flash, shows you're only gonna see what you want to see.

So I'm not wasting more of my time with this.

I bet I could give you more examples of Wally going past Light speed than you can show that he can't as The Flash. Why does it matter where my sources are from, New 52 Barry Allen has gone past light speed too.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirneko:

But don't you see. That's not even the point.

I know that Barry Allen and Wally West, also many others speedsters connected to the SF, can surpass the speed of light. The problem was when you said, they can massively surpass the speed of light. Has soon has they surpass the speed of light barrier, they enter the speed force. There's no way around it.

That's how all the ones that carried the name Flash, were/are able to move through time, universes and even dimensions.

But lets say, the Flash going from the Earth to another solar system, another galaxy or move from one planet to another in our solar system, that on the other hand is never shown. Why?! Is it because they can't fly? That wouldn't exactly be a problem seeing that if they traveled inside the SF they wouldn't be subjected to the rigors of space travel, but then again the Flashes, none of them was ever seen operating outside of our planet. They either go to different timelines, universes or even dimensions, but never to other planets.

And this is my point. They can surpass the speed of light, entering the SF has they do so, but after that the speedster in question is limited to which extent he or she can control and navigate through the SF. They don't go dozens, hundreds, thousands or millions or times faster than light. They can't because has they surpass the speed of light they immediately enter the Speed Force.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SirNeko

@heavenlydarkdragon: That Speed Force thing was a problem to Flashes, but that problem was solved pretty quickly. I think you write this because you have only seen Justice League Unlimited animated series. Where Wally got trapped into Speed Force after reaching speed of light.

Wally can run in Speed of Light as he wants, there are scans where he casually goes faster than light without any problems. Also Wally West as The Flash could fly, he ran across the Galaxy, out ran The Big Bang.

Here a thread full of people showing Wally moving faster than light without Speed Force problems in ease.

http://www.comicvine.com/wally-west/4005-23879/forums/wally-wests-top-speed-best-feats-598821/

Hamster555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is one of most forgotten abilities of Superman

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.