Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can Superman vibrate through things?

• 75 results
    2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

If Superman is almost as fast as the Flash, does that mean he can vibrate through stuff too?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's a question only Lois Lane would know

#giggity

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PeppeyHare

No I don't think so

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MatteoPG

I think he's dodging really quickly in that scan. Otherwise it would be the only instance in history of him vibrating through stuff.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@matteopg said:

I think he's dodging really quickly in that scan. Otherwise it would be the only instance in history of him vibrating through stuff.

Nope he's clearly vibrating because he's standing still in the panel Doomsday punches at him. Then Doomsday slams the ground where Superman is standing and we see him fly up in the air to avoid that hit. Also there are these scans to consider

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever he takes photos as Clark Kent he usually vibrates his molecules so the photos look blurry so no one can notice he's actually Superman.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: wow... ugh. Some of those could be interpreted as "he is so fast that you can't tell he already left", it's not unheard of in comic books, but some of those are pretty clear. Still, I don't know why, I don't very much like that power. Seems more fitting for the Flash. Oh well.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@matteopg: I can understand how you might think the first one is but all the others show a clear sign of Superman vibrating. I admit, it's not something he does often in character but it's something he can do.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk if Superman currently has the ability to do that, I haven't seen any instances of him doing it post-flashpoint. Imo, the ability to vibrate through things should be something exclusive to the Flash.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Most of the scans where he would be vibrating in are too explicit

but ask Lois, she'll tell you he can.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MakkyD

@theocitylegend said:

Idk if Superman currently has the ability to do that, I haven't seen any instances of him doing it post-flashpoint. Imo, the ability to vibrate through things should be something exclusive to the Flash.

Yeah in New 52, they made Flash seem more "unique" compared to Superman as he is shown to be much faster and is the only one of the two to phase.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@theocitylegend said:

Yeah in New 52, they made Flash seem more "unique" compared to Superman as he is shown to much faster and is the one of the two to phase.

That makes sense and that is the way it should be. Speed is Flash's gimmick, if Superman matched him in that regard it would kind of render the character obsolete as a Justice League member.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Whenever he takes photos as Clark Kent he usually vibrates his molecules so the photos look blurry so no one can notice he's actually Superman.

Thank you for preparing me to know the other identity of Clark Kent (with the black bar) it would've been a shock to me otherwise JK.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@attatje: Hahahaha, all in good humor, my friend :D

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre 52 could but I do t like that he could. New 52 can't and shouldn't.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will you all learn that new 52 superman can do whatever he wants,it doesn't matter if you want him to are not,he is the man who does the imaginable.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CLark Kent's photo...

No Caption Provided

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think someone once posted another scan of Supergirl vibrating through things, so there's that.

No, that's not what I meant. Get your head out of the gutter.

Kwodam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont like the idea off superman even being close to the flash his speed

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RisingBean

@ssejllenrad: Shouldn't he actually be vibrating as Superman? Lest somebody realize Clark is Superman, or worse, think he is the villainous Nefarious Vibrator?

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By toptom

@kwodam: he may be close to Barry's speed, but he can't perform such feats like stealing or lending his speed

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes, Superman can rapidly vibrate his body to move through solid objects. However, unlike the Flash, those objects are utterly destroyed. Depending on density, you can do the same thing. I shall now go vibrate through some papier-mâché.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think they shouldn't have given Superman superspeed enough is enough and he doesn't use it that much

STA8541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By STA8541

@stephens2177 said:

When will you all learn that new 52 superman can do whatever he wants,it doesn't matter if you want him to are not,he is the man who does the imaginable.

Exactly. I loved the reactions of all the haters when they showed him bench pressing the Earth for 5 days straight & literally not breaking a sweat, lol. Anything they've done in the past DC can resurrect for him at any time (like time travel/dimensional travel), or add new stuff if they want (like seeing the whole electromagnetic spectrum rather than just X-rays). In fact, given what we know about Superman's future (Morrison), he will become even more capable. Nothing to get your panties bunched over.

Keeps things lively, lol.

STA8541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By STA8541
    @kwodam said:

i dont like the idea off superman even being close to the flash his speed

@attatje said:

I think they shouldn't have given Superman superspeed enough is enough and he doesn't use it that much

Nothing to be alarmed about: speed was a Superman thing from the beginning. It's not an added power: it was always there. And it was there before they even created the original Flash, lol. Let alone the Barry or Wally Flashes who arrived much later. His speed may have increased in degree, but not kind. It's the same power, & it is foundational to Superman's identity. "Faster than a speeding bullet..." Remember, lol?

Besides, as another poster said, the Flash still has plenty to keep him unique, different speed tricks & such, like lending speed, etc. Superman isn't connected to the speed force, so he can't access those deals. Phasing is a body control thing, not a speed force thing, as shown not only by Superman but also by the Martian Manhunter who is also not connected to the speed force.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MuyJingo

Not in the New52, and only dubiously prior to that.

It's certainly not a standard power he has, which is good. The last thing he needs is another power he never uses that would help if he did.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it that he can. It makes sense and the world is huge you may be fast but you cannot fight all fights at one time. Flash and superman can both exist trust me.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SodamYat

I like it that he can. It makes sense and the world is huge you may be fast but you cannot fight all fights at one time. Flash and superman can both exist trust me.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FoamBorn

Superman is not almost as fast as the Flash and he cannot vibrate through anything. Feats that portray his speed as being in that kind of level are PIS. Superman has got to stop transgressing into everyone else's domains, the Flash deserves to be special too.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SodamYat
    No Caption Provided

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

↑ = PIS.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@foamborn said:

Superman is not almost as fast as the Flash and he cannot vibrate through anything. Feats that portray his speed as being in that kind of level are PIS. Superman has got to stop transgressing into everyone else's domains, the Flash deserves to be special too.

So your basis for it not being true is that it would aggravate you if it were true?

Superman has vibrated through things plenty of times. Hell, Quicksilver has vibrated through things. Why do you think it's some kind of uber speed feat that only the fastest of the fast can pull off?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

said:

So your basis for it not being true is that it would aggravate you if it were true?

Superman has vibrated through things plenty of times. Hell, Quicksilver has vibrated through things. Why do you think it's some kind of uber speed feat that only the fastest of the fast can pull off?

Yup. Thats basically what I read too.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: This is just something that any speedster does with Super Speed

Superman's been vibrating since the 90's (I know it sounds dirty, you pervs)

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By termiteone4ever

The kryptonions pulling off these feats, makes them pretty difficult to defeat. These are some facts that makes supergirl Pre 52 defeating most of these brutes along with her moon one shotting and her planet scaring. Once the new 52 superman pulls this off. Even the silver age superman has this feat. When fighting against doctor light. Superman been doing this for years

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

I'm basing this on the fact that the Flash is typically depicted as being super quick relative to Wonder Woman and that I can't say the same about Superman. This informs me that in the pyramid of speed, Superman sits well below the Flash even if sometimes writers run out of impressive things for Superman to do and pull one of these out of their rear ends.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well superman flying and superman running is not the same. I know he can fly much faster then he can run.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he can.

Superman isn't almost has fast has the Flash, he's faster.

We all know Superman can move at speeds multiple times faster than light. The Flash can't. Or to be more accurate, if he goes beyond the light speed barrier, he reaches what is known to all speedsters connected to the Speed Force has the "Terminal Velocity".

But although kryptonians in general can move at speeds faster than light, that however doesn't mean they can vibrate has effectively has the Flash. The Speed Force grants the Flash and other speedsters an almost natural ability to vibrate not only through solid matter, but also dimensions and different universes.

Kryptonians on the other hand can't do has much, or at least it was never shown that they could do the same things. Although logically they should, seeing how fast they can move. But I get it that writers have to draw some lines and never show them doing it, because lets face it, if Superman did all that is within his power to do, he would be pretty much unstoppable.

So, yes Superman can also not only vibrate through solid matter, but also to close dimensions to ours. It has been shown in past comics him doing it. Not only on comics but also on TV series.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Saren

@foamborn said:

@saren said:

I'm basing this on the fact that the Flash is typically depicted as being super quick relative to Wonder Woman and that I can't say the same about Superman. This informs me that in the pyramid of speed, Superman sits well below the Flash even if sometimes writers run out of impressive things for Superman to do and pull one of these out of their rear ends.

Honestly, if Superman was depicted as being super quick relative to someone like Wonder Woman ---- which, incidentally, he has been, plenty of times ---- would you actually consider it legitimate or just complain some more about Superman making everyone else redundant and therefore it's not real?

The #1 question DC writers keep trying to give their answers to is "Who'd win in a fight, Batman or Superman?". Do you know what the #2 question is? "Who'd win a race, Flash or Superman?". There's been a dozen plus races between Flash and Superman throughout DC history. They never ask if Wonder Woman could win a race against the Flash. It doesn't even figure in the discussion.

Sure, Superman generally isn't as fast as the Flash, but you don't have to be as fast as the Flash to vibrate through things. Flash can vibrate through time and to alternate universes, Superman may not be able to do that, but he can handle solid matter just fine.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Honestly, if Superman was depicted as being super quick relative to someone like Wonder Woman ---- which, incidentally, he has been, plenty of times ---- would you actually consider it legitimate or just complain some more about Superman making everyone else redundant and therefore it's not real?

The #1 question DC writers keep trying to give their answers to is "Who'd win in a fight, Batman or Superman?". Do you know what the #2 question is? "Who'd win a race, Flash or Superman?". There's been a dozen plus races between Flash and Superman throughout DC history. They never ask if Wonder Woman could win a race against the Flash. It doesn't even figure in the discussion.

Sure, Superman generally isn't as fast as the Flash, but you don't have to be as fast as the Flash to vibrate through things. Flash can vibrate through time and to alternate universes, Superman may not be able to do that, but he can handle solid matter just fine.

Honestly I'd give DC the middle finger and try my best to get into the Marvel Universe which is frankly more horizontal than this ridiculous dick measuring contest that the dcu has unfortunately become. They might as well give Superman a ring powered by chauvinistic greed which Superman and his fan base have a bottomless supply of eh eh

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Saren

@foamborn said:

@saren said:

Honestly I'd give DC the middle finger and try my best to get into the Marvel Universe which is frankly more horizontal than this ridiculous dick measuring contest that the dcu has unfortunately become. They might as well give Superman a ring powered by chauvinistic greed which Superman and his fan base have a bottomless supply of eh eh

You must not read much Marvel if you think they're any different. At any given point of time, with any given iteration, the Avengers has at least two members who are literally useless and do absolutely nothing but make pithy observations while Thor, Hulk and Iron Man do the heavy lifting to Captain America's drumbeat. Nowadays they have about five or six.

There's an idea for a story. And this new greed-empowered Superman would then have to fight Wonder Woman, who now wields a Sinestro Corps ring to reflect the existential dread that seems to infect her fan base whenever someone says Superman's name. And wouldn't you know it, it ends in Superman winning and taking her ring for even more power. Ain't that just the way?

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jogga

@foamborn:

Dick measuring has been around the comicbook world from the beginning.

Superman and Batman have been written to be very condescending to eachother for some time because of it, despite both obviously being above that in their own books.

The "who would win between Batman and Superman" and "Flash and Superman" questions have VERY obvious winners (Superman and The Flash, respectively) but in the long run, it'll never really matter. They've been around for too long for that. Every single writer is going to put what THEY think would likely happen (i.e. what they WANT to happen) than what will most likely happen.

Same goes for Marvel. They usually do the exact same thing.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By TDK_1997

@foamborn said:

That's really delusional from you. If you really do believe that Marvel is any different than DC then, I am sorry to tell you, but you are horribly wrong. In Marvel if you ask me is even worse. In widely-known teams as the Avengers, X-Men and etc. there are only 3 to 4 characters who do anything memorable in a storyline and the others are there just for fodder. And those important guys ain't somebody from the B-listers or something like that, it's either Iron Man or Thor or Cap or somebody else who is amazingly popular between people.

From a fair point of view, DC is better than Marvel when it comes to dick measuring.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.