Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can Superman be killed with a magic bullet?

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By agent9149

Does anyone remember when superman cuts his finger on Wonder Woman's magic sword? If a magic sword can cut superman, then can a magic bullet penetrate superman. And if one can then does that mean a magic bullet to the brain can kill superman.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SoA

yup.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By moywar700

It can kill him but he can just move out of the way.Superman isn't weak is magic.He's just susceptible to it.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SandMan_

Yes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yes, if it hits him in a vital organ, or if it's a type of magic that kills no matter where it hits.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By Dracade102

Yes, it'd be able to kill him as it would anyone else. But being faster than a speeding bullet, he shouldn't need to worry about that.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Press Oblivion

OH man, that's a good question.

@moywar700 said:

It can kill him but he can just move out of the way.Superman isn't weak is magic.He's just susceptible to it.

My feelings too.

I think that the bullet would have to have a mass density then shot at a velocity, both, superior to Superman's durability. Or the Magic would have to dictate these properties. I guess I'm saying that there should be a relative physics ingredient equal or surpassing the amount of violent, destructive power Superman can withstand.

Magic shouldn't be thought of as Kryptonite or equal to Kryptonite. There are varying degrees of skill that it would require to make a weapon of this magnitude and couldn't be engineered by just anyone who can manage an incantation. Someone like Circe would be able to wage war against Superman in this fashion or perhaps the multitudes of Pantheons of GODs that may be roaming around the DCU.

Just saying "IT"S MAGIC AND SUPERMAN"S DEAD" isn't compelling enough of a story. Introducing Theoretical Physics creates a difficult feat for the villain as well.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colonyofcells

A powerful bullet might penetrate Superman but I heard Superman also heals fast so no problem.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By z3ro180

@colonyofcells: bullets no matter what callibut can hurt him

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonSmith

DOES THE PHRASE 'FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET' MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU PEOPLE?!

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By colonyofcells

Sometimes, Superman is distracted by cute females so he can be shot or cut by some powerful stuff.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By r3d_rob1n

The argument that he is faster than the bullet is not very effective. In many cases Superman will let the bullets hit him in order to shield innocent bystanders from stray shots. So, if he was unaware that the bullet had been cursed, it is possible that it could kill him. However, I do agree with @Press Oblivion: that it would have to be a powerful sorcerer casting the spell.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jobbernos

@Z3RO180: dont bullets bounce off him?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colonyofcells

There are probably limits on how tough are the skin and internal organs of Superman.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Dracade102 said:

Being faster than a speeding bullet, he shouldn't need to worry about that.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoA

this but with magic

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Press Oblivion

That's my point, you can't equate magic to Kryptonite. Kryptonite is Superman's weakness.

@moywar700: said, he's susceptible. . . . I can't think of an example.

If you apply what I said before about density and velocity, the gun and the bullet would be impossibly heavy and could be lifted and fired by only a few with strength equal to Superman's. Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Circe or Gods.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By z3ro180

@jobbernos: They eaither bounce of him or get crushed once they hit him.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kal'smahboi

It depends on what's magic about it, I suppose.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By serpent222

@Press Oblivion said:

That's my point, you can't equate magic to Kryptonite. Kryptonite is Superman's weakness.

If you apply what I said before about density and velocity, the gun and the bullet would be impossibly heavy and could be lifted and fired by only a few with strength equal to Superman's. Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Circe or Gods.

For an example, he was made less than useless in the first issue of JLD because of the presence of magic. Basic debris was cutting him, so a magic bullet would easily do some damage.

However, I really do need to apply some non-superpower abilities to the situation. Look at how many times the bat-family have been shot and just kept on going. It's been mentioned that Superman was a candidate for a GL ring, so when you consider his powers combined with his actual will power, then I really don't think the chances of it killing him are very high. Possible, yeah. Likely, no.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Press Oblivion

@serpent222 said:

@Press Oblivion said:

For an example, he was made less than useless in the first issue of JLD because of the presence of magic. Basic debris was cutting him, so a magic bullet would easily do some damage.

However, I really do need to apply some non-superpower abilities to the situation. Look at how many times the bat-family have been shot and just kept on going. It's been mentioned that Superman was a candidate for a GL ring, so when you consider his powers combined with his actual will power, then I really don't think the chances of it killing him are very high. Possible, yeah. Likely, no.

Awesome thank you! Perfect example. I think that it should also be noted that the Witch was a very high level, mystical threat.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By dernman

Depends on the magic.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By termiteone4ever

It could kill him but he stands a high chance of surviving it . Superman durability and will and power is no joke. I recall him surviving a kryptonite bullet that exploded in his brain YES Brain :) Unless this bullet instantly take his soul he might just survive

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TerrellV13

It's been shown time and again that Superman is affected by magic just like the rest of us. God forbid he fights Zatanna.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Press Oblivion

@TerrellV13 said:

It's been shown time and again that Superman is affected by magic just like the rest of us. God forbid he fights Zatanna.

Yes, I would hope that she would survive the encounter.

asIsuspected

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By asIsuspected

Badly injured - yes, killed - dont think so

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SUNMAN

No, Superman can only die if the writers let him, which is why he is immortal

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Press Oblivion

@SUNMAN said:

No, Superman can only die if the writers let him, which is why he is immortal

true dat

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#29  Edited By Durakken

It depends on your interpretation of his his strength and such works. I'm of the mind that his strength is derived from the higher gravity of Krypton vs Earth difference and not from solar energy which slightly changes the answer.

The way Superman's magic vulnerability works is that he is not "weak" to it, but rather he would react to it as though he weren't invulnerable. So a magic bullet would have the same effect on superman as a regular bullet would have on a regular person... unless you think that his strength is derived from the gravity difference in which case Superman is denser that normal people and while he could still die from a magic bullet it would take more power to do it than an ordinary bullet from an ordinary handgun.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By PowerHerc

I suppose it's possible.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Skewer

The magic bullet, is it the one that Kennedy was rumoured to be killed with?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

If the bullet somehow hits him and into a vital organ than yes. It worked with Kryptonite.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A magic steel bullet will just injure him, no more than bruise him likely. His body is dense (at a subatomic level). His bio aura will be breached but that's it. It's not like it's gonna kill him like normal humans, Superman has a natural regenerative factor plus his body survives cosmic ethereal energies when he goes out inspace to fight aliens or stop new gods, a fucking bullet is nothing unless is a powerful freaking magical gun.

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Perhaps.

And Superman didn't cut his finger because Wonder Woman's sword is magical, but because it can cleave atoms.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I'd argue the bullet would have to be enchanted to penetrate Superman's skin rather than 'just being magic'. Similar to how:

• Diana's sword is enchanted to be beyond razor sharp, to slice electrons off atoms. It's ok Superman gets cut by that.
    • Captain Marvel is fueled by magic to be as strong as Superman, but his fists don't go though Superman's head even if he hits him extremely hard.
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UltimateSMfan

He's been shot at with a magic bullet but he simply caught it ;) So he can just do that...See last year's Valentine's day special.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SanoHibiki

Superman can avoid/catch it in the first place; if bullet still hit him – he still has some really impressive healing feats, so that might be not enough to kill him. Maybe if bullet goes directly through his brain…

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.