Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Are DC Writers mentally ill?

Costy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Costy21

Did you read JL VS SS #2? What the hell are they doing to Superman?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Lvenger

Um what did they do?

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no the jla just hold back also dc and marvel share writers so both companies would be considered mentally ill

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League was holding back for plots sake. Without nerfing JL, an event like this wouldn't be possible.

Costy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel: I understand that. But trying to nerf JLA IS NOT THE SAME THING to make enchantress ko Supes. The fight between WM and Harley or Aquaman and Killer Croc was ok, plot wise

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@costy21: You are correct. All other JL members did better than Clark.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Mrnoital

@costy21: why not, Ihaven't seen supes deal with magic in quite a while, one of the last times was when Constantine took him down in Trinity War

this isn't the first time someone with magic brought down supes cause he wasn't being careful

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: you know he is super smart he could simply learn a few spells and protect himself from it. I mean any good writer would have him do that.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mrnoital: you know he is super smart he could simply learn a few spells and protect himself from it. I mean any good writer would have him do that.

Wait, so anyone can learn spells and do magic? Teach me sensei!

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@costy21 said:

Did you read JL VS SS #2? What the hell are they doing to Superman?

No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Normally that's not how magic works in DC.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: Well it depends on the research you have done but from what i have researched its all about will power and so fourth.

Incantations and this is just magic in the world today.

Even the bible speaks of doing things through faith as one would a spell.

So Superman has one of the strongest wills in the dc universe all his powers are through the force of will.

Flight to heat vision to seeing tiny sub atomic worlds.

He should be able to do magic.

As they said in Dr Strange anybody can do magic you just have to have the desire to learn.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: meh that's debatable

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok first of all do your homework, Suoes has always had a vulnerabltoy to magic so him getting beat be the enchantress isn't as bad as you think. Also she's the fucking enchantress she's in the same league as Zatanna a magic user who could while the floor with Suoerman because you know she has magic.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: Well it depends on the research you have done but from what i have researched its all about will power and so fourth.

Incantations and this is just magic in the world today.

Even the bible speaks of doing things through faith as one would a spell.

So Superman has one of the strongest wills in the dc universe all his powers are through the force of will.

Flight to heat vision to seeing tiny sub atomic worlds.

He should be able to do magic.

As they said in Dr Strange anybody can do magic you just have to have the desire to learn.

Yeah...you clearly don't know how the real world works

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr said:

if I remember , to do magic , you have to be Homo Magi(like Zatanna) or study extensively for years (like Constantine)

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arthurkerr

Even Superman cannot be all places at one time. Spells or no spells. He does have a life and it is a huge universe.

Not even 100 member team would do the job as well.

They need to make a justice league movie true to color with large numbers of people on the watch tower going to and fro and yes why not have superman know a few magic tricks.

Every story does not have to be connected to every other story.

I hate when they make it as if all things took place in the same universe.

I like connection do not get me wrong just to a point and after that point they need to restart the engine that made it all work.

To start fresh no more gimmicks no trying to fool fans into buying something that they put no effort into.

Nobody likes reading a book with a horrible ending, yet alone supporting and ongoing book that has burned your idea of a good read for a long time.

Bring back character and then when they say.

Superman vs or Superman does what ever....

We know just whom they are referring to.

So what I know of magic and the research I have done does not apply but we can say the same of KI or chi from Dragon ball Z.

Superman could just as easily learn to control his chi or ki same thing.

Then people would say.

Oh no that is something only they do in that universe.

Chi being the life force of the universe the energy of the boy mind and soul.

It really comes down to one thing.

Will it make a great story.

Can one book become twenty books and when your reading those twenty books will you have your socks blown off your feet because your mind just is amazed by the story going on in the pages of the comic world before you.

Because when you seek to do same old stories another day.

People will not read the book and they go onto other things.

I say only....

They made a man fly.....

Is it so hard to imagine that same man doing a little magic.

Maybe we need to look again at just how big the universe truly is.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85 said:
    @arthurkerr said:

if I remember , to do magic , you have to be Homo Magi(like Zatanna) or study extensively for years (like Constantine)

Yeah, you are either born with the talent, usually as part of your heritage, as ,like you say, Zatanna. Or you've mastered a magical trinket, like the Helm of Nabu.

Constantine however I would caution against, because there is something about him and his bloodline. It's not just training with him. Like in the Sandman we were introduced to a Johanna Constantine who oddly enough also hunted things that went bump in the night, while Morpheus made a mention of her being the 'Constantine' of that era.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone spoil me how he gets taken out please.

If you can provide scans it would be much appreciated.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Superman only has 1 page of his 'fight' with Enchantress and the rest happens off panel. And then there's added insult to injury when Killer Frost absorbs Superman's life energy to amp her power and incaps the League in ice. What a plot device.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Thank you very much Lvenger.

Not gonna lie.... I'm triggered as hell with this.

Incredibly ridiculous. Ugggghhh. Hate this.

It's like having Thor job in a fight against the Thunderbolts.

Jimmies officially rustled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This was kinda my problem with the plot of Suicide Squad. I didn't mind the film, in fact I had fun with it but the idea of the Squad being assembled to take a Superman level threat seemed ludicrous. They're barely noticeable to him on a power level. But eh, worst things have happened to the Man of Steel.

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Superman wasn't always weak against magic. Anyways, isn't this supposed to be Pre-52 Superman? The same guy who was able to withstand a magic blast that incapacitated people with high magic resistance like Wonder Woman and Zauriel...

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you ever read the DC vs Marvel Justice League (Morrison line up) vs the X Men? X men was taken out by Jean grey.

Costy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thearchon: Yes. The same guy. DC, they do something good. Then they f*** it up.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thearchon: he has always been weak to magic and in the issue JL vs SS both him and enchantress are beat it's really Killer Frost that beats him by assorbing his energy and she was only able to do that because he was weakened by their fight.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By NightFang3

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: @lvenger: So it's bad that Superman got beaten by a powerful magic user and a heat vampire used his stored up solar energy to capture the league. Talk about biased opinions.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Don't mind Supes getting knocked down by Enchantress, he is vulnerable to magic and of course his goodness/calm rational approach to dealing with June was taken advantage of by Enchantress, in fact i believe only her being a match for his level of a threat even as far as the movie is concerned but come on does he have to transform into a withering husk of himself every time his energy is used up or absorbed.

The only thing that irked me was that their fight was mostly off panel. Give Superman a little more screen time (respect) than that if you're gonna make his short fall a plot device to take down the League, I think WW and Harley got more pages for their encounter.

And if Killer frost really did absorb that much of his heat energy she could easily freeze the league.

Anyway, remember this? Ahh good times.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope you know Enchantress is not some random sorceress. Zatanna struggled with her and couldn't even really deal with her. Not to mention Superman isn't going to punch her to the moon to stop her. Ugh you would expect Superman fans to understand his personality before they open their mouths.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is atrocious. One of the most poorly written issues I've read all week. Absolutely pathetic.

@mrnoital said:

@costy21: why not, Ihaven't seen supes deal with magic in quite a while, one of the last times was when Constantine took him down in Trinity War

this isn't the first time someone with magic brought down supes cause he wasn't being careful

1: That was New 52 Superman. This is Pre Flashpoint Superman.

2: His "fight" with Enchantress was mostly off-panel, and Killer Frost was somehow able to absorb his life energy to incap the entire Justice League. How does that even make sense? They nerfed him to hell, we barely got see to his fight with Enchantress, AND he gets his life force absorbed out of nowhere.....by freaking Killer Frost!? Seriously?

@ecstaticgrace said:

I thought they handled the fight brilliantly. The Killer Frost thing was really cool. :P

Also Superman being weak or vulnerable to magic depiction really just seems up to the writer at this point. Killer Frost taking out the League with Superman's Energy really isn't far fetched at all.

Given Solar Powered man was putting the beat down on Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Dying Superman before Rebirth.

:|

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League was holding back for plots sake. Without nerfing JL, an event like this wouldn't be possible.

Then why make the event? Either expand the SS with more powerful members or don't do the event at all. This issue was downright embarrassing, a complete joke.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel said:

Then why make the event? Either expand the SS with more powerful members or don't do the event at all. This issue was downright embarrassing, a complete joke.

I think they have something big in mind. This series so far has addressed the manipulation of dimension, missing time, legionaries etc. May be this event would pave path to that.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rubear

@knightsofdarkness2 said:
    @mightykalel said:

I think they have something big in mind. This series so far has addressed the manipulation of dimension, missing time, legionaries etc. May be this event would pave path to that.

You people just don't understand what is real Suicide Squad here.

No Caption Provided
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightykalel said:

They could've done that with any other event though.

@rubear said:
    @mightykalel said:
    @mightykalel said:

You people just don't understand what is real Suicide Squad here.

No Caption Provided

That's an okay squad I guess, but it needs more powerful members IMO.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: After researching the whole magic thing in dc. Wow it is horrible on a grand scale.

So to put Dr. Strange from Marvel.... would scratch his head in utter amazement it is even called magic.

However the Marvel universe has a few ticks itself.

So charmed it is not or any of the fantasy worlds where a mage cast a spell incants fire or brings about the lost worlds of a million or more journeys to the unknown.

So a mage is really not a mage at all just some oddball with a trinket or one whom focuses energy of a magical nature. Not true magic in the least.

So could Clark learn Magic and the answer is always yes.

Could Clark learn magic that the dc world uses.

That answer is , why would he want to?

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Superman only has 1 page of his 'fight' with Enchantress and the rest happens off panel. And then there's added insult to injury when Killer Frost absorbs Superman's life energy to amp her power and incaps the League in ice. What a plot device.

...I didn't read that, didn't buy the comic, don't know the circumstances, but that screams "bullsh!t" to me

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they were self aware about it.

No Caption Provided

johanshieh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably because they want the league to get caught and came up with some way to let Batman break them free.

And they never show how exactly does killer frost take down the league.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thearchon said:

Superman wasn't always weak against magic. Anyways, isn't this supposed to be Pre-52 Superman? The same guy who was able to withstand a magic blast that incapacitated people with high magic resistance like Wonder Woman and Zauriel...

And what the difference? Both he and New-52 Superman have "resisting magic" high feats - as well as instances of serious jobbing against it. Writers simply bend this whole "vulnerable to magic" concept to fit their current plot. Nothing is new.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman can study at Super-speed, he could master magic in no time, if he has affinity ... but at what cost?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone actually still surprised?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Sup's (both of them) been knocked around questionably a few times consistently now

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Flash being weakened by cold powers is also nothing new, Aquaman is questionable, but with enough power thrown at him could see him going down. Cyborg got hurt by her prior to the power up, so not much to say there.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Batman not being prepared is pretty straight forward (this is like a Super amp-ed Mr. Freeze)..

No Caption Provided

Not sure about the Lanterns and WW. Could also be overwhelmed with Killer Frosts boost and the others SS members helping her.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has been weak to magic since the Silver age. Nothing new.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean to say that a major line-wide event advertised as "superpowered characters punching each other" is full of hamfisted and contrived writing? What a shocker

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
    RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah post-crisis supes is generally written to be more vulnerable to Magic, he's so busy trying to be a normal guy taking care of Lois and whatnot I guess he never has time to learn magic or at least seek protection from it, although the story wouldn't be bad, it's never been done before.

viral4343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By viral4343

Really doesn't need Magic(or protection), he has the will and the durability to withstand it better than anyone human or even magical themselves. Jobbing feat doesn't count as him being actually weak to magic, if Superman gets a rematch, he's wipe the floor with Enchantress. Thats how it always be.

He still can 70% overpower someone with his physicals alone. Like someone said, it's depends on the writer, he jobs to magic because writers allow it.

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
    RedWhiteAndBlueSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viral4343: I'm with ya, Superman's abilities alone with already enable him to indirectly counter most forces of Magic. I think it's cool he jobs to Magic and it's fun to watch him go up against Black Adam, enchantress. There's a president for Superman being weak to Magic, but PC supes more so because instead of moving a planet or something he tends to take it on the chin a little bit more

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.