Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Anyone else canceling subscriptions over DC dropping New52 Superman?

• 82 results
    SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperCrab

I decided to drop "Lois and Clark" immediately. I'm not a big fan of the book (Been thinking of dropping it for the last couple months anyway), and I figure dropping my subscription to the book that features the Superman who's going to take the current Superman's spot in the main books in a couple months is a good way to express my dissatisfaction with the decision.

I also dropped "The Coming of the Supermen". Issue 2 wasn't as good as issue 1, and it features a Superman other than the new52 one, so out it goes. I was looking to save money anyway.

I'm down to the 4 basic Superman titles that are going to tell the story of what are likely to be new 52 Superman's final days the next couple months, plus the two Justice League books so I can see the end of those storylines with new52 Superman, and American Alien because I like it (and it's almost over).

At the end of May, I'll probably buy the generic $2.99 80-page Rebirth thing (Which is about the entire DC universe, not just Superman) to see what they are doing exactly, but after that I will make a decision on whether to continue any of my other subscriptions or not (Batman/Superman, and Superman/Wonder Woman just end, so that part will be easy. Plus, American Alien is just a limited series, so it'll end, too, albeit I'm not sure if the last issue will be out yet when the switch happens. And JLA is ending in it's current format until the fall.).

I am not pleased with this direction at all.

It's not a dislike of the pre-Flashpoint Superman, it's them killing off the new52 Superman or doing whatever they are going to do to him. It doesn't seem right. He's got his whole life ahead of him and time to tell interesting stories yet. The pre-FP Superman has already formed his personality, beat all the bad guys at least twice, married Lois, had martial issues with Lois, reunited with Lois, had a child, etc.. The only thing left for the pre-Flashpoint guy is raising his kid, which apparently the Superman title will focus on, until they spin off a stupid comic about a 10 year old fighting monsters with superpowers. Ugh.

I think there are some interesting stories that could be told about what the pre-Flashpoint guy thinks of the current universe's versions of his old friends and associates, and what they think of him, but beyond that... This universe's Superman is who I want to read about, and I want him to be Clark Kent.

What I think is getting to me more than anything is how blase the DC editorial and corporate people are being about all this. They are spending more time on talking about random minor characters than the Superman who's been the biggest star of their comics (Other than Batman, I guess, in the eyes of the public) the last five years. It's like they are just shoving him aside. He's such an afterthought that they don't mention why he's not there, the comics press isn't asking them in interviews, etc.. Some of us care.

I don't know, in the end, I might just decide I want to read Superman stories in a continuity and be able to "see what Superman is up to this month", whatever Superman they give us, but for the time being I am trimming my subs to the final days of the real Clark Kent (Aka the one born in this timeline) and then we'll see. Since I care less now, maybe I'll buy the new issues when they are discounted down the line if at all.

This is being handled very poorly on DC's part. There are a lot of ways they could have brought the pre-Flashpoint Superman back and still left the current Superman around, like having him do a crossover or be a guy the current Superman turns to for advice or giving him his own book in his own universe, etc.. They didn't have to kill off the existing Superman, or whatever they are doing. And if they did decide to displace the current Superman, they could have written him something else, like he takes a different secret identity and there's a monthly book about that, or he joins the Green Lantern Corps, or whatever. They didn't have to kill him off or write him off everything.

I still want to see how Clark and Diana work out, or this Clark and this Lois, from the new52 universe. I still want to see Clark handle the various bad guys he's never faced. I want to see him writing articles and stuff (Which, by the way, the old Superman isn't doing) and renting apartments and having money troubles and being this inspiring figure finding his own way. I mean, he finally gets his powers back after Truth, and now he's a goner. Great. Way to go, DC Comics.

Maybe I'll just do Action Comics and the new Justice League, since Action Comics is the one that focuses more on the action and less on the super son (Superman sounds like it's mainly about Jon, at least until his own thing spins off), and the new Justice League, since it's written by Bryan Hitch, who has written excellent stories at the helm of JLA. Or nothing. Or several things. I don't know. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but this was handled poorly.

I'm not boycotting per say, just cutting back. Maybe I'll get into the Green Lantern or some non-DC Comics, or buy some new52 Superman I am missing like Superman Unchained (or older classic stories). Or pocket the money and pay down debt. Or whatever.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Drocta

Oh hell no. This has caused me to get back into Superman.

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tl;dr and no

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drmagic: TL;DR is I'm cutting back on Superman comics because they are getting rid of new52 Superman, and handling the PR poorly, for a boring Superman with much less storyline potential who's already lived his life, and will be mainly focused on laying the groundwork for spinning off a book about his "super son" who is way too young to be fighting crime. The new "old pre-Flashpoint" Superman won't even be working at the Daily Planet. He'll have no memory of the adventures I read the last five years.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a boring Superman with much less storyline potential

Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
    deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest, I'm happy every time something New 52 related goes away.

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supercrab: td;lr means too long didn't read and how do you know there is no more new 52 superman. All we got is few cover some what the writer told us. Wait till we get more info and try out the new books they might good and better than atrocious event called truth

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
    Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a little soon to just rid of him. If they are indeed just replacing him with Pre-Flashpoint Supes, at least let New-52 Supes take up the mantle of another hero or something. Though I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with old Supes in this new universe.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I dropped Superman a while ago because it started to suck and the art was terrible.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperCrab

@drmagic: sometimes people post TL;DR hoping for a more digestible summary. That's why I replied with a shorter version. :)

I agree that Truth was bad. Good idea, but poor execution and went on too long. 4-5 issues and better more intense stories would have done it for me.

Like I said, I'm not boycotting the Rebirth completely. It's still Superman, it might be okay. But I'm dropping nonessential stuff and might just pick one book to subscribe to or buy occasional single issues. Not like I hate the other Supermen. I just don't like this setup and so I am not automatically going to subscribe to everything Superman. They'll have to win me over. Or maybe it'll be the sort of thing where I buy back issues on sale.

Knightsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd actually dropped the books after a couple issues into "Truth",and was only occasionally reading prior to that. The Rebirth news has actually gotten me interested again.

Tom9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I welcome this!!!

The last few years have sucked!!

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
    Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akshsarpanch: @supercrab: that why i said wait until we get more info we exactly don't know if they're getting rid of new 52 supes or not

Harun_Kurnaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Harun_Kurnaz

I understand that people love pre-Flashpoint Superman because they grow up with him. But how about people grow up with new52 or start reading comics again with new52. They just talking about legacy but this is just sucker punch to new reader and people Who liked New52 Supes

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZariusII

I'm looking at this from a temporary perspective actually. They'll keep New 52 Clark around as the "other Kent" and there will be a mystery to him, and they'll build on that mystery for a while, until the time is right. For now, Pre-Flashpoint Supes gets a bit of an "Indian summer", a final turn in the spotlight to "hook in" older readers (which is what Rebirth is supposed to be trying to attract) before things settle in back to normal. This could be the "Superheavy" of Superman stories, building to the inevitable anniversary issue of Action Comics.

And no, Pre-Flashpoint's life is'nt boring. Fatherhood brings a lot of compelling, creative challenges where as stale money problems and drama with Wonder Woman does not do anything but repeat the same tiresome soap opera tactics.

And can we please table this "Jon is too young" crap? Next thing you'll be saying is Dick was too young, and Damien is too young

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Anyone think we might get an Injustice scenario? Superdickhead versus Superman?

N52 Clark has revealed he's very troubled in the mind especially during the Doomed saga where he used DD as a means to escape himself committing horrible atrocities. I can see him taking "jerk" to a much lower level eventually when he loses the spotlight to daddy Supes

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope I've not been this excited for a comic in a while.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Is it actually confirmed that they are "dropping" new 52 Superman or is this just more speculation? I think he' still have place in the post DC rebirth universe even if he isn't the main Superman.

I understand that people love pre-Flashpoint Superman because they grow up with him. But how about people grow up with new52 or start reading comics again with new52. They just talking about legacy but this is just sucker punch to new reader and people Who liked New52 Supes

A lot of us have tried and stuff like Truth hasn't made liking him any easier. I do agree that dropping him altogether is kind of a smack in the face to the fans that like him.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even putting aside that I’m not really eager to read about Pre-Flashpoint Superman (I’ve done it for more than decade and feel like I know him through and through) and have emotional attachment for Morrison’, Pak’ and Soule’s New-52 Superman, I can’t even stand new direction: Superman is super-dad, look here, how interesting. I didn’t like it in Superman Returns, nearly dropped Supes’ comics during Christopher Kent fiasco (by the way, this is one and the same Superman, but back then he couldn’t have children with human and now he suddenly can; was it explained?). New Super-man – given his age demo, I kinda think that he is token diversity replacement for Kon-El; perhaps I’m mistaken, but again, no desire to read this book. The same apathy with Superwoman. Never liked Trinity book before Flashpoint. Damn, only Supergirl book remains on my list.

So, if this is some kind of merger (two Lois and two Clarks) or DC have some other way to implement New-52 Superman in post-Rebirth comics, I’ll give it a try for a bit.

If that’s an actual death, then, well, I already stayed with DC for 5 years longer than I thought I would; time to bid them farewell and move forward.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to the change. Loved Convergence Superman and Lois and Clark. Just wish that Lee Weeks was still around

MoSsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to pick up anything with Superdad.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperCrab

@drmagic: We'd already have more info if editorial at DC Comics wasn't treating this universe's Superman as an afterthought. They won't address the situation at all. Big events, lots of interviews; no talk about the elephant in the room. That in and of itself is kind of annoying.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am actually gonna buy Superman and Ac both for the first time since I dropped the titles due to Truth.

My wallet will cry...

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel DC have shot themselves in the foot. New readers will be forced to get their head around the existence of the Pre-Flashpoint Superman, and will be expected to find him interesting. As you said, Pre-Flashpoint Superman has already done basically everything over the course of his existence, and I can't expect new 'edgy' readers who like Deadpool and Harley Quinn to take to a family man. Even as someone who's read bits of DC comics from all eras, Rebirth's approach to Superman gives me a headache I've previously had whilst trying to understand Hawkman.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Actually, I do think Damian was definitely too young to be putting himself out there in life threatening situations fighting monsters, aliens, and criminals with guns. It's the type of thing that would have gotten child protective services (rightly) called on Bruce Wayne for encouraging it if it happened in real life and the authorities knew about it. He's not even a teenager yet, is he?

Dick Grayson might have been more okay in the Robin role, because he was actually like 16 or 17, wasn't he? That's basically an adult. Still, I've always preferred Batman without Robin in general.

That Batman would allow allow a child, his son, not even a teenager, to risk his life and put himself in the line of fire the way Damian has repeatedly, even fighting side by side with him, is one of the reasons I like Superman better as a character. Superman has more regard for human life and protecting people. Superman would never do what Batman did with Damian with his own son- except the writers are going to write him as doing exactly that. It goes against everything Superman stands for and is bad characterization for him. They're going to be writing him out of character just to set up a storyline they want to write and read, and a spin-off book they think will make them money- Well, I don't think it's worth it, and I don't really want to read the storyline or the spinoff book anyway, even if it weren't destructive to Superman's character, which it is.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm done with this. I may have had issues with his direction, but I did not want New 52 Superman gone. And I certainly did not want Pre-Flashpoint Superman back. In fact, I've had issues with most of the Rebirth stuff. I suppose I'm done with DC for the time being (aside from Injustice)

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By adrikito

I.. Really I don´t understand this. WHY? He has not had enough for one year of suffering the new52 superman? I did not expect anotherSuperman crisis like Truth ... even less so soon ..

I would not care if every 1 of 2 superman had half of Superman series, but this... I ABANDONMENT the Lois Clark serie. and I will not read Super sons, even though I was interested.

The possibility that mess ANOTHER SUPERMAN in Justice League and Trinity (bad time to start the series) is too much for me... THIS IS NOT HIS WORLD.

GOODBYE to Superman comics until I found out about new52superman regains his title.

I'll see that apart from Batman read.. a little, I guess. NOTHING RELATED WITH SUPERMAN. Fortunately, members of the Justice League(goodbye this serie), also have their series

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@Pokeysteve: I did too. As soon as he got a buzz cut and started riding a motorcycle, I went from reading all Superman titles, to none.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok first of all if you didn't like the book why did you continue to read it ? Second say pre flashpoint superman is boring and has no story line potential just show how little you know about the character. Weather you like it or not New 52 Superman has not had a good run so bring back the superman most of us grow up with and has a whole 25 years of past storys behind him is great move on DC's part.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

What is with all this talk about New 52 Superman disappearing?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZariusII

=
    @supercrab said:

@zariusii: Actually, I do think Damian was definitely too young to be putting himself out there in life threatening situations fighting monsters, aliens, and criminals with guns. It's the type of thing that would have gotten child protective services (rightly) called on Bruce Wayne for encouraging it if it happened in real life and the authorities knew about it. He's not even a teenager yet, is he?

Dick Grayson might have been more okay in the Robin role, because he was actually like 16 or 17, wasn't he? That's basically an adult. Still, I've always preferred Batman without Robin in general.

That Batman would allow allow a child, his son, not even a teenager, to risk his life and put himself in the line of fire the way Damian has repeatedly, even fighting side by side with him, is one of the reasons I like Superman better as a character. Superman has more regard for human life and protecting people. Superman would never do what Batman did with Damian with his own son- except the writers are going to write him as doing exactly that. It goes against everything Superman stands for and is bad characterization for him. They're going to be writing him out of character just to set up a storyline they want to write and read, and a spin-off book they think will make them money- Well, I don't think it's worth it, and I don't really want to read the storyline or the spinoff book anyway, even if it weren't destructive to Superman's character, which it is.

Friendly reminder the top Marvel book of summer 2015 dealt with a Peter Parker who was a family man, and saw him oppose a god-like being with a daughter who was much younger than the one who ultimately became Spider-Girl in the late 90s/2000s. Had Marvel decided not to go with Renew Your Vows, DC probably wouldn't have taken the risk with Lois and Clark, and if RYV had tanked, DC probably would'nt be taking the risk they're taking now. The bottom line is Renew Your Vows's success proved people are interested in this stuff, and it in no way damaged Spider-Man's character as a result. The same could easily apply to Superman, and it would certaingly benefit this Superman's character.

It'd be more destructive to make N52 Superman a father, considering he's already earned a "world's shittiest friend" mug.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lois an Clark story is good. IMO.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait and see what happens to N52 Supes first, but if they actually cast him aside or even relegate him to a supporting character I'll just relocate my money to Image comics instead.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is new 52 gone? people were crying when miles morales turned up in marvel prime. everyone thought he was replacing parker. it turns out that peter seems to be in more titles than everyone else. lets be patient and see what happens.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We should wait and see,but i really hope he will keep his place as this earth protector. I like the idea of a younger and more powerful superman instead of and older and weaker but wiser one.

Actually i was really happy with the things as they were: new-52 has finally recovered his power and we also had the return of the pre-52 one who could help and maybe guide this superman. There was even a bigger difference between their costumes and their look thanks to the black suit and the beard but now they have given to to pre-52 superman a whole blue suit without even the red boots, and he even looks younger than what he should supposed to be.

I don't get this: they already had a younger superman with a blue suit plus an older and more mature one with a totally different (but nice) look, but now they are giving to the latter an,imo, horrible costume and are making him younger....what the hell?

Still we don't have enough info, recently on Newsrama there was an interview in which was told that both these version of Supes will be in the first arc of AC...so who knows. :/

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually not happy about N52 Clark leaving now that I've had more time to think about it. Yea his writing was shitty 10/9 but that doesn't mean I wanted them to stop trying. Of course they've had 5 years to get it right but still they would eventually get it right

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is new 52 gone? people were crying when miles morales turned up in marvel prime. everyone thought he was replacing parker. it turns out that peter seems to be in more titles than everyone else. lets be patient and see what happens.

MyNameIsChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been this excited for Superman in a long time. Lois and Clark is pretty much the only good in universe Superman book for the last half year.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have preferred if they made New 52 Superman more like pre flashpoint Superman because this set up just seems weird.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hell no. Why would I drop DC for them getting back to the character instead of the cheap wannabe badass imitation?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supercrab:

For now I'll just keep reading Superman comics until Rebirth starts.

Once it starts I'll most likely just read the first issues of each title to evaluate them. But at least four titles will be finished from my part. Action Comics, Superman, Super-Sons and Trinity. Basically all titles that have PreN52 Superman in them.

I'll give New Superman and Supergirl a chance. But these will be more likely the only titles I'll keep following. If they're any good of course.

When New52 came I was more than done with preN52 Superman. I'd closed that chapter for good. And Lois and Clark comic didn't changed that feeling. And seeing I already have a lot of alternatives, I guess that in the worst case scenario I'll just have to wait until the next reboot, or when DC screws everything up, AGAIN, and then they decide to get rid of preN52 Superman, Lois and their son, and bring back the New52 Superman.

Either way I'm not to worried. Less money spent each month.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not sure why people are hung up continuity in this particular case,normally it's because

Subtraction: Some characters,stories or concepts are removed or changed beyond recognition. Does any of this apply here? nope

Lack of clarity: Details of events get fudged over,people dont know what happened and how it happened. Does this apply here? nope

Repetition: Writers use the blank slate to tell the same basic stories that were likely perfected,said stories get replaced by inferior copies. Does any of this apply here? nope

So what exactly are you guys complaining about again? that stories can be told with new-52 Superman? why cant they be told with PC Superman? can give anyone give me an actual goddamn example that doesn't include romance? More importantly why is such a distinction being made between the two Supermen? this place is ridiculous,Batman's pre-FP continuity gets referenced all the time and his status quo more of less continues from where they left of.

The support that has been given to New-52 Superman is mind boggling to say the least,most of the decent stories with this Superman(Unchained,Pak,Morrison,current JLA) could have been written with PC Superman or any Superman,the absolutely horrendous crap like Superman/Wonder Woman and Truth(which will define his tenure) are some of the things almost exclusive to New-52 Superman. Most of the fans of other DC characters wouldn't mind a return to the previous continuity,ask fans of JSA,Flash etc and they'll tell you,even Batman fans would take Pre-FP continuity in a heart beat.

Seems like all the whining is based on banal insecurities over relationships and romance. PC Superman being locked in a relationship with Lois hasnt undermined the story potential. Superman isn't in a relationship just for the heck of it cough SM/WW cough,it has already spawned a new idea in the form of Jon,that's evolution and progression in narrative. What would the nay sayers rather him do? fight Doomsday while banging Diana? really is this what Superman has come down to?

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis: Whats d point of that lil' rant.

To show that some people here are losing their minds over nothing.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I liked Superman and Wonder Woman.

And if this was such the case, why is DC even bothering with PC Superman? The point is, Flashpoint introduced new, younger incarnations of characters. Their limitations and mindset is the difference between the stories told.

The Pre-Flashpoint world was amazing. We get it. Lots of great ideas. However, I see no reason to care much for the PF Universe characters, when I'm already happily invested with current versions of the character, for better or worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.