Follow

Superman/Wonder Woman

Volume »

Is an ongoing New 52 series that focuses on the romance of the Kryptonian Alien, Superman and the Amazon Princess, Wonder Woman. Joining together, they must face whatever enemies they face and keep the love alive.

Superman/Wonder Woman #8

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

This review has some SUPERMAN: DOOMED #1 spoilers, so don't continue if you haven't read it yet!

Are they gone? Okay, good. In first chapter of Doomed, we saw Superman inhale Doomsday's particles to protect everyone else and, thanks to solicitations (and even this cover), we know that's going to transform him into the next Doomsday... or something Doomsday-esque. This issue delivers a big reveal of his new appearance and, while the art team does a fine job with his new look, what makes this issue work is how it impacts Clark's personality, not his appearance.

Simply put: this transformation is turning Superman into a jerk. He's not tripping people and laughing at them like Nelson from The Simpsons, though. Instead, his filter is off and he's letting his more negative thoughts come front and center. Considering this series is first and foremost about his developing relationship with Wonder Woman, you can bet this means there's going to be some brutally awkward conversations. It's great seeing this unfiltered side of Clark come out. He's always trying to make things work, but the fact of the matter is this is a complex relationship and the issues he brings up are worth discussing. And, unless you're a complete Batman fanboy, you can't help but find his remarks about Bruce somewhat amusing. Also cool: one of Diana's new abilities as the God of War is put to use. Truth be told, that's what made the segment with Lois Lane standout. Because, aside from that, it didn't really add anything new to the narrative. The opening was to solidify what's happening to his personality and Batman's was to elaborate on the finer details, but the part with Lois almost felt like it was there just to have her and Diana talk now that the relationship status has changed. It wasn't really as engaging as the other bits and it's not as tense as you may expect, but it wasn't bad, either.

I enjoyed Tony Daniel, Tomeu Morey, and Sandu Florea's visuals a good deal. My only real gripe is that sometimes expressions feel a little off or stiff, but the amount of energy and detail that goes into every page counters that and then some. Environments fade away from time to time, but sometimes -- for example, Clark's scene with Cat -- the vivid background helps boost the energy and the intensity when things heat up. I'm sure we'll all have our favorite pages in this one, but for me, Batman gliding across the street and windows shattering definitely left an impression.

The Bad

Clark's condition is right there on the cover (and we've seen it in solicits), so the impact of its eventual reveal is lessened big time. It's a cool approach -- love the focus on eyes and mouths -- that would have worked if we didn't know Clark's new look, but sadly, that isn't the case. Because of this, the build-up approach just doesn't hit as hard as it should. Also, I get what writer Charles Soule was trying to say when Diana realizes she overlooked the obvious, but it's a little tough to believe that option didn't cross her mind at all. Logically, you should look at all of the main locations, right? It's not like we're talking about one of his favorite hangout spots or whatever -- it's a place she literally has a key to. And, as much as I enjoy the artwork, dedicating Batman and Wonder Woman's encounter to a double-page spread seems like a bit much. Yes, it's a great looking image and it's certainly full of life, but I'd rather see an extra page dedicated to the conversations that were occurring in this issue.

The Verdict

While the opening of Doomed hit us with a massive slugfest, Soule's follow-up is purely character-driven and rightfully so. Instead of just having Superman act like a complete jerk and simply having some fun with it, Soule's able to tie this new mentality to the focus of this book: Kal-El's relationship with Wonder Woman. It's essentially a one-way argument since Diana's focused on helping him and not humoring his questions and accusations, but it's still a gripping bit of dialogue and hopefully these topics will reemerge. Throw in some consistently pleasing artwork and you have a solid chapter of Doomed. Sure, the ending feels a little sudden, but it just goes to show how much Diana can help him in his time of need.

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
    BatmanOnTheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BatmanOnTheMoon

Glad Soule's issue fairs better than Lobdell's... Though that shouldn't surprise anyone at this point. Good review brada.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I tried to read this just for Doomed but every time I seen WW it just reminded me how much of a horribly unimaginative cash grab this whole relationship is so I couldn't finish the issue.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review, out of the three Doomed issues we got today, this one was my favorite

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I tried to read this just for Doomed but every time I seen WW it just reminded me how much of a horribly unimaginative cash grab this whole relationship is so I couldn't finish the issue.

Why'd you even pick up the issue? She's right there on the cover, silly!

Glad Soule's issue fairs better than Lobdell's... Though that shouldn't surprise anyone at this point. Good review brada.

Ha, thank you.

@jphu8414 said:

Nice review, out of the three Doomed issues we got today, this one was my favorite

Thanks. Probably won't get around to AC until later tonight.

Cade_Calrayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh.... this is actually part 3 of the entire story. It goes Superman: Doomed, Action Comics 31 (Infected Chapter 1), then SM/WW 8 (Infected Chapter 2)

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanonthemoon: Not defending Lobdell, but you know he was only 1/3rd of the creative mind behind the Doomed one shot right?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@k4tzm4n: I know but I thought I would be able to handle it just for one issue so I could read all of Doomed but I was wrong.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the reading order for Superman doomed.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Uh.... this is actually part 3 of the entire story. It goes Superman: Doomed, Action Comics 31 (Infected Chapter 1), then SM/WW 8 (Infected Chapter 2)

Thank you for the correction. Making the appropriate edits.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SanoHibiki

“Doomed” Supes’ monologue is EPIC here. Maybe this issue lacked a bit in action department and the last page was a bit off, but Rao, this is a pleasant reading material. Plus Diana in coat and putting her Goddess of War-status into use didn’t hurt either.

Nice review, thanks.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I haven't picked up this issue, I will wait because I wasn't impressed by the one-shot and AC didn't have any plot development for me to judge.

For someone like me who wanted this pairing for a long time, seeing it being used so rushed and uninspired, it makes it twice as sad :-(

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Herokiller12344

I'd still rather have this than Batman and Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kivatt said:

What's the reading order for Superman doomed.

You can find it here

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty solid issue. Not as good as the one shot but better than Action.

Didn't really like the parts with WW solo. Was kinda monotonus. But the conftontation between Diana and Clark mixed with Batman was cool.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering if you could do a Review of Action comics 31. I would like to see your input on that

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By LyraFay

Oh great so Lois Lane and Wonder Woman didn't pass the women only talking about men test.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lyrafay said:

Oh great so Lois Lane and Wonder Woman didn't pass the women only talking about men test.

Actually, the whole reason they meet is to discuss Clark...

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DemonKnights

Loved all 3. Loved that she didn't think to look at the apartment. Makes total sense since she sees his primary persona to be Superman and she'd already been to his home, so she mentally crossed home off her check list. Great writing there!

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh man i love how soule pointed out the lack of mention of the relationship in WW solo book. It just makes it so much better for this arc bring out all the insecurities clark has. I'm surprised clark didn't give batman/bruce a call too.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daniel just continues to kill it.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArchiZoom

"Soule's able to tie this new mentality to the focus of this book: Kal-El's relationship with Wonder Woman. It's essentially a one-way argument since Diana's focused on helping him"

That bit says it all doesn't it. This is a book about Superman's relationship with Wonder Woman where she's at the very best a deuteragonist, little more than a plot device around which Soule's building another Superman story.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

"Soule's able to tie this new mentality to the focus of this book: Kal-El's relationship with Wonder Woman. It's essentially a one-way argument since Diana's focused on helping him"

That bit says it all doesn't it. This is a book about Superman's relationship with Wonder Woman where she's at the very best a deuteragonist, little more than a plot device around which Soule's building another Superman story.

QFT. That's what makes this relationship an evident cash grab and why this tie in to a Superman centric event is vapid and empty of meaning.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@herokiller12344 said:

I'd still rather have this than Batman and Wonder Woman.

AMEN!

@lvenger:Dude you shit on this series every chance you get.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lvenger

@2cool4fun: Poor writing, inane characterisation, a ridiculous justification of a romance and an empty excuse for an event tie in storyline. What's there not to dislike about this series? I don't have to even try and dislike it, the series makes it impossible for me. I fail to see how it's even remotely popular when a comic is this sub standard at best.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#26 frozen  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@2cool4fun: Poor writing, inane characterisation, a ridiculous justification of a romance and an empty excuse for an event tie in storyline. What's there not to dislike about this series? I don't have to even try and dislike it, the series makes it impossible for me. I fail to see how it's even remotely popular when a comic is this sub standard at best.

This.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@primebonnick: The writers of her book does not want anyone in other comics in her series.

Funny how people hate on his but continue to buy it. The second line is not directed towards you Primebonnick.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick: The writers of her book does not want anyone in other comics in her series.

Funny how people hate on his but continue to buy it. The second line is not directed towards you Primebonnick.

don't worry i know lol.

@lvenger said:

dang man why do you keep reading it for then? seems to make you angry about their portrayals why bother making yourself suffer then?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick: I don't. The series gets none of my money for buying comics. But I've been hearing bits and pieces of it, seen previews and I've never been impressed by the writing of the series myself.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: maybe you should avoid them bits and pieces then bro seems to have a negative impact on you why put yourself through it. Just read books that you like how they are portrayed then why suffer?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick: After Doomed is finished, I don't intend to follow the series. I only do so because of its involvement with the crossover.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: oh ok as you should man reading literature that makes you upset is really not good for people. Hope ya can hold out till then my firend.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Another awesome issue of the best comic book on the market!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.