Follow

Superman/Wonder Woman

Volume »

Is an ongoing New 52 series that focuses on the romance of the Kryptonian Alien, Superman and the Amazon Princess, Wonder Woman. Joining together, they must face whatever enemies they face and keep the love alive.

Superman/Wonder Woman #7

• 55 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN's prelude to Doomed is finally here. The upcoming storyline makes writer Charles Soule juggle quite a few issues: the return of Doomsday and everything involved in it, Superman and Wonder Woman recovering from the nuclear blast, and how they'll move forward after Clark confessed he loves her. Seeing as these are three pretty large plot points, Soule dedicates just a moderate amount of time to each one. It would be great to see certain elements receive more attention than others (e.g. more discussions about their relationship and perhaps not the world around them or what's going on in their own comics), but it's a somewhat understandable decision since there's quite a bit to tackle as the book moves forward. Plus, watching the two go on a more "traditional" date is a nice little change of pace and most certainly wasn't an expected development.

Even though there's three artists (Eddy Barrows, Paulo Siqueira, Barry Kitson), the changes aren't that noticeable since they apparently switch when the location undergoes a significant change. Hi-Fi coloring the entire issue also gives a nice sense of consistency. The drastically different locations -- ground zero, London, and deep in the ocean -- makes the slight alterations way less jarring and far easier to accept. Doomsday looks seriously badass as he clutches a wall and has a spotlight on him; Superman's appropriately creepy looking as he heals; and the club has a fitting sense of energy to it. Each scene definitely brings its own strengths front and center.

The Bad

A common complaint I see from readers is that Superman serves as the "white knight" far too often. This is something I haven't agreed with on a few occasions, but man, that crowd is going to have a field day with this one. Even I found it a little odd to have Superman -- who is so weak that he looks like a zombie -- need to carry Wonder Woman -- who appears weak but not in critical condition -- as they fly away from ground zero. Based on appearances alone (and not to mention the fact Superman endured more of the explosion than Diana did), it would have seemed more fitting for these roles to be reversed in this case.

It's a little jarring to fast-forward to Clark and Diana having such a casual and, well, "normal" date after such a grim event. I do appreciate Soule delving into both of their minds about Clark saying he loves her. It is understandable things would be a little uncomfortable after only one of them says the L word; however, it felt like there was more build-up for the next story instead of follow-up with such a big moment in their relationship.

While it isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, there's more than a few moments in this book that serve purely as set-up and you'll need to keep reading the series to get answers. Usually this isn't a big deal, but for me, this occurred with quite a few things. Also, I'm unclear about the scene with Doomsday. I was left trying to figure out why they'd blatantly waste that ship. They stated they have records on Doomsday, so they of course knew it would fail trying to snag him. But again, this appears to be another "wait and see" element. And, speaking of the Doomsday segment, I wasn't a fan of the first panel layout. It worked well for the middle to get a better understanding of the scope and the bottom was fine, but the tough was a tad difficult to follow at first since the panels were smaller.

The Verdict

SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #7 will likely serve as a better read when it's collected in a trade or you have immediate access to the next issue. Because, just like it says on the cover, it's a prelude to the upcoming story Doomed. There's a little bit of emotional follow-up to the nuclear incident and it's nice to see these two out of their element, even if it's just for a little bit. But for the most part, this issue establishes a lot of questions and now it's just a matter of time to see how it's all handled. At any rate, that final page most certainly has me anxious to see what's next. Sure, the villain's hand emerging first is something we've seen so many times before, but given the action-packed nature of this book, I'm anticipating some massively fun brawls.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lifeofvibe

this can be considerd a win but a very small one

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice conclusion to the first story arc. Soule continues to give us easter eggs from Pre-New-52 history: well, Invisible Jet was already introduced in previous issue; in this one we got Purple Ray. Diana has a quite marksmanship skill: firing from ground in sky for such tiny sun stream to fall directly on Clark’s body – this is nice precision feat. Soule also acknowledges Diana’s new status as a God of War and what it possibly entails.

Dance break – I didn’t see it coming, in all honesty, but it was a really difficult time for SuperWonder’s couple before (and from what we seen, awaits them in future), so they deserved some rest. Glad to see that Diana adapted to modern world so well.

Cons - 3 different artists is a bit irritating, but it could have been worse (through Daniels’ art is superior to them all IMO) plus somewhat broken DD timeline and decidedly prelude feeling left by this issue.

7/10.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

Honestly I'm just not feeling the book. I tried really hard to give it a change but I'm not liking the portrayals of either character and I'm getting tired of this relationship. True I'm a Lois and Clark person but I was willing to give them a shot if it was short term relationship. Well it's longevity before it ends depended on how interesting they made it but to be honest I'm just not feeling it. I would like to start seeing cracks forming or I might just tune out all together.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Disagree. 4/5

Avatar image for that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop
    that_one_guy_at_the_comic_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really love dc , but still, they have turned jumping the shark into an art form!

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

With Clark just now finding out she is the goddess of war makes me wonder the timeline of this book in the dc time line. I do love how this book was a nice cool down from the last book, and not already you guys won now get back out there. I do agree with Clark being too much of white knight, but hey that's just who he is. Now I am just hoping that Soule continue to do what he did last volume and have everything come together in the end. I really do hope they have a superman vs Apollo round 2, because after what he did he deserve another beating.

Darth Coleslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Darth Coleslaw

I agree with basically everything said in this review. This was easily the weakest issue in the series so far to me, not bad, but just okay. I also cant help but feel less optimistic about "Superman: Doomed", since both this and Action Comics took a dip in quality having to tie into it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Scott Lobdell's event is effecting the quality of all the Superman books, AC suffered a dip in quality thanks to "Doomed" as well.

DC needs to learn that, Lobdell equals bad news for Supes.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CantDance93

I haven't read this yet, but I never read an issue I didn't like. So i'm not scared :)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CantDance93

@Superguy1591 Well he did write some batman dialogue in Superboy and Superman for the H'el on Earth crossover, so kinda.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree about Clark saving Diana when he looked like an extra from The Walking Dead. He looked like he could barely carry a tooth pick let alone fly.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CantDance93
    cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Doomed is such a Scott Lobdell event that he drops out of it before it ends. At least blame him for the right things.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Superguy1591

@cagedleo730: Dropped out of Doomed? He's on the #30 + #31 solicitations. Geoff takes over #32, after Doomed. Plus, the event starts with his book and the other two writers haven't been on long enough to lead or create an event.

cagedleo730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cagedleo730

@superguy1591: check the solicits for Action #32 and Supes/Wondy #9. Both say "Superman: Doomed continues with "Enemy of the State".

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And this relationship is still stupid and horribly done

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to stop lying to myself. I hate this book so much. It's such poor characterization of Wonder Woman. It's just poorly done. I tried to convince myself and everyone that this book is awesome because I support Superman/Wonder Woman's relationship but Soule just makes Wonder Woman such a weak ass b!tch, it's insulting. @lvenger, I'm calling you out buddy, you have won, I submit.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man i do agree with the clark being the white knight aspect, but alas it's not surprising it's just who he is take it or leave it i guess.

So this is post forever evil or what? i'm not sure

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Continue to absolutely love this title!

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jwalser3

If you want to read Superman Doomed, skip this issue.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Wolverine008

I have to stop lying to myself. I hate this book so much. It's such poor characterization of Wonder Woman. It's just poorly done. I tried to convince myself and everyone that this book is awesome because I support Superman/Wonder Woman's relationship but Soule just makes Wonder Woman such a weak ass b!tch, it's insulting. @lvenger, I'm calling you out buddy, you have won, I submit.

*lvenger stands up*

No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kidchipotle

@arturocalakayvee said:

*lvenger stands up*

No Caption Provided

I image L will have one of two reactions... either being:

No Caption Provided

Or

No Caption Provided
    Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cagedleo730: Right, it's a Superman wide event. They event continues into Superman 30+31.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard set up issue.

But Clark and Diana dancing in a club is the dorkiest, most adorable thing ever. = automatic 4/5.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By movieartman

@arturocalakayvee said:I have to stop lying to myself. I hate this book so much. It's such poor characterization of Wonder Woman. It's just poorly done. I tried to convince myself and everyone that this book is awesome because I support Superman/Wonder Woman's relationship but Soule just makes Wonder Woman such a weak ass b!tch, it's insulting. @lvenger, I'm calling you out buddy, you have won, I submit.

this is the stupidest pille of bull i have read in a long time.

HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL DOES DEFEATING 2 HARDENED ELITE RYPTONIAN WARRIORS ALMOST SINGLE HANDEDLY + SURVIVING A ATOMIC BLAST WITH SOME BRUISES + SAVING SUPERMANS ASS REPEATEDLY = WEAK ASS BITCH?????????????

Jesus Christ Almighty you bloody haters are reaching.

And don't counter with that doomsday broke her arms bullshit, yes be did, he also broke Supermans neck in the original universe with a punch so that is not a big stretch.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

*lvenger stands up*

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Or

No Caption Provided

It's so idiotic when people who don't support a book just come to troll and behave like children. Like who the hell cares? Go buy a book you want to flipping read and write some sense than nonsense.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So not sure what the problem is about Clark holding Diana...are we really counting crap like that despite the narrative supporting she needs help? Those who read Azzarello's Wonder Woman know First Born alone put her in a 3 day coma and she needed help to recover in New Genesis of all places. Here we had her get battered by an over powered Zod/Faora, suffer radiation poisoning, weak but using her last reserves of strength to save Clark from withering away, and then getting blasted by the ghost soldiers. Honestly to god, get a better criticism if you want to make one instead of trying to attack Superman for just being Superman and logically at the time the one capable of holding her.

Great to see Soule bring in more WW elements in an organic and none corny way. Badass Doomsday pages.

Clark and Diana dancing was quite cute.

Deserves a 4 out of 5.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By johnqestion

@arturocalakayvee said:

@johnqestion: @movieartman: You guys mad or something? You aren't apart of the gag so you wouldn't understand.

So I take it you pre-empting or predicting someone's typical response? Okay. No worries.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's so idiotic when people who don't support a book just come to troll and behave like children. Like who the hell cares? Go buy a book you want to flipping read and write some sense than nonsense.

I agree. The sad reality is: desperate "fans" will clutch at straws. There have been one or two trolls falsely claiming to be SM/WW fans, trying to create some illusion that their hatred is legitimate criticism ... but it's totally transparent, I doubt anyone is gullible enough to fall for it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@johnqestion said:

So not sure what the problem is about Clark holding Diana...are we really counting crap like that despite the narrative supporting she needs help? Those who read Azzarello's Wonder Woman know First Born alone put her in a 3 day coma and she needed help to recover in New Genesis of all places. Here we had her get battered by an over powered Zod/Faora, suffer radiation poisoning, weak but using her last reserves of strength to save Clark from withering away, and then getting blasted by the ghost soldiers. Honestly to god, get a better criticism if you want to make one instead of trying to attack Superman for just being Superman and logically at the time the one capable of holding her.

Great to see Soule bring in more WW elements in an organic and none corny way. Badass Doomsday pages.

Clark and Diana dancing was quite cute.

Deserves a 4 out of 5.

So please feel free to write your own review and give it one.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pretty average I thought just a bunch of set up on wards to Dommed then

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By justice teen

@johnqestion: @johnqestion: Respect, but for me the only problem I have is that she didnt say I love you back, even though she does its just nice to hear it repeated. Also the time line is a bit confusing where in the current dc time line does all this take place. The club scene was by the best of this issue. Also how did she afford those clothes and did she finally get a secret ID.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CantDance93

@johnqestion said:

I agree. The sad reality is: desperate "fans" will clutch at straws. There have been one or two trolls falsely claiming to be SM/WW fans, trying to create some illusion that their hatred is legitimate criticism ... but it's totally transparent, I doubt anyone is gullible enough to fall for it.

yup

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By Outside_85

@johnqestion: Actually FB didn't, New Genesis put her in a 3 day medical coma.

And if we just have to accept Superman being the white knight that he is because thats just part of his personality, why does it have to be at the expense of Diana's? He is a Kansas farmboy with a good heart, she is a soldier, a leader and the God of War, it would make more sense for her to carry him as he is in a far worse state by the looks of it than she is.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Lvenger

@wolverine08 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

*lvenger stands up*

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Or

No Caption Provided

I Wasn't planning on commenting on this issue since it seems the flaws are obvious but I'll settle with a

No Caption Provided

:P That'll do it for me.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EnigmaLantern

I think the whole "Doomed" event is ruining the flow of Superman stories and making writers', such as Greg Pak and Charles Soule's, lives harder simply because they have to cram so much into a 32 page comic book or whatever the page number is. 2 issues into the "Doomed" event preparation, or prelude, and both Action Comics and SM/WW have taken a hit in quality. Lobdell's work has never surpassed "okay-ish" in the new 52 in my book and now he's ruining other Superman writers' quality with this event.

This issue was, all in all, good but quality-wise not close to what Soule has been writing in the past 6 issues. It also didn't help that Tony Daniel wasn't on the art, slightly disrupted the art flow, in my opinion that is.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnqestion: Actually FB didn't, New Genesis put her in a 3 day medical coma.

And if we just have to accept Superman being the white knight that he is because thats just part of his personality, why does it have to be at the expense of Diana's? He is a Kansas farmboy with a good heart, she is a soldier, a leader and the God of War, it would make more sense for her to carry him as he is in a far worse state by the looks of it than she is.

He beat her good and proper that New Genesis had to do that. So yeah it still stands. You're trying to split hairs. And what expense of Diana? She was messed up. How in hell is she supposed to carry him when she said she can't even fly? And she has legitimate reason in the narrative to say that because she took a hell of a lot of punishment. Sorry you want to read WonderGod and not Wonder Woman. Did you ask that when Azz put her out of commission for 3 days because he wanted to shoe horn New Genesis? Bet you swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By johnqestion

@lvenger said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@wolverine08 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

*lvenger stands up*

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Or

No Caption Provided

I Wasn't planning on commenting on this issue since it seems the flaws are obvious but I'll settle with a

No Caption Provided

:P That'll do it for me.

You've been singing this since the beginning of time. Even when Comicvine gives it 5 stars. What's new?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@johnqestion: Nothing much except the obvious poor writing and terrible characterisation in this book based on a faulty and empty fan fic romance :P

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

He beat her good and proper that New Genesis had to do that. So yeah it still stands. You're trying to split hairs. And what expense of Diana? She was messed up. How in hell is she supposed to carry him when she said she can't even fly? And she has legitimate reason in the narrative to say that because she took a hell of a lot of punishment. Sorry you want to read WonderGod and not Wonder Woman. Did you ask that when Azz put her out of commission for 3 days because he wanted to shoe horn New Genesis? Bet you swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

He beat her enough that she needed medical attention, that is unsurprising considering how powerful he is. Still he didn't KO her for 3 days, New Genesis' doctors did, so no it doesn't stand. It specially doesn't stand when Soule later turned her into Wolverine who heals broken bones after a few minutes.

You claim she was messed up? Not half as badly has he was and he even shielded her with his body and his cape, which meant he looked like something that had crawled out of the grave while all she had was a few cuts and bruises.

No I didn't ask that, because it makes sense within the context of that story, this however was just pandering to the fan fiction writers.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Haven't read it yet, but I know I'll most likely like it.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, im a little confused. Has doomsday killed superman before? Like in the New52. I was under the impression that he was a new threat but then it seems like he has faced kal already.

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CantDance93

@herrweis: Superman and Doomsday fought, he told Diana this in #2, said It took everything he had to beat him. Doomsday has not killed Superman, also this Doomsday event will not be a retelling of the original Death of Superman story arc, so we really don't know if Doomsday will kill Superman in the new 52.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This was a disappointing issue for me, but as usual people on here are reacting in the extreme

@cantdance93 superman hasn't beaten Doomsday in the New 52, in Issue 2 of Superman/Wonder Woman he explained to Diana that the creature that had hit her was the same one that hit him underwater and if it escaped again from the Phantom Zone, he didn't think he could handle it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.