the_impersonator's Superman Returns review

Avatar image for the_impersonator

Superman Returns

I had high expectations for this movie since I watched the original four movies. Seriously, what was Bryan Singer thinking? You know, this movie is crap because of bad dialogue, acting and storywise. Now I know this was a blockbuster movie and it had high grossings. Seriously, when it comes to the story and the characters. It's lame. This movie is actually a sequel to Superman 1 and 2. Thus, ignoring the events of movie 3 and 4.

Here are some points which I don't like.

Clark Kent/Superman- Clark have been gone for five years to find the remaining pieces of Krypton. Now, he comes back and finds that Lois Lane has a fiance. Now, they could have at least showed the scenes where Clark was trying to find the survivors of Krypton. That would at least explain much more for this time gap, since this is a 154-minute movie. Here is my question, when did Clark actually left Earth? They didn't even show these scenes when he leaves Earth and tries to find the survivors. This would have been a flashback. Also, Clark would have not left Earth. We are talking about 5 years and so far this time, the criminals would wreak havoc. Yes, Lex Luthor is released. Seriously, what was Clark thinking? Or shall I say, what the script writers was thinking? Also, Brandon Routh was too young to play Superman. That kinda bothers me. Plus, the costume. What can I say? It's horrible. Yet this costume is going to be used by Clark from the Smallville series.

Lois Lane- The actress was ok to play as Lois. But this character was different because now she has a fiance and a son. Plus she's younger. In the comics, this didn't happen. Because Lois and Clark always meant for each other. I can understand why Lois has to move on since the long absence of Clark/Superman. But she could have at least waited for Superman. Not forgetting about him. We're talking about Lois who loves Superman.

Lex Luthor- I kinda liked Kevin Spacey who played as Lex Luthor. If I compare the better actor to Kevin's character who played Lex well is Micheal Rosenbaum. He is so much better than Kevin's character. This Lex is like coming out of jail and plots a new plan against Superman again just like in the original movies. Again and again. Why can't they just show a new villian rather than Lex? There are tons of villians in the Superman's rogue gallery. There's Parasite, Brainiac, Bizarro, etc. Just pick one or two and you'll have a good villian in this movie.

Jason- Jason is actually Clark/Superman's son. Kryptonians are not supposed to have children since they can't have any with Earth men/women. Just like in the Highlander franchise. According to Kryptonian physiology, they can't have kids. Unless without powers, yes it's possible to have kids. Jason inherited Clark's abilities like superstrength. I'm really surprised. For once I thought, Jason would be Richard White's kid. Then Jason would have been normal if he was Richard's kid. Then that would pretty much destroy the romance between Lois and Clark.

Is there anything good about this movie? The only things I can say is it has good action, special effects and a good potential to tell a story.

I give this movie a 1.5 out of 5. I had faith in Bryan Singer making this movie since he directed the first 2 X-Men movies. Hopefully, the upcoming Man of Steel movie will be better than this. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing Superman returning to Earth anymore.