Follow

Superman: Earth One

Volume »

Superman: Earth One brings a staggering new take on the world's most popular Super Hero. Brace yourself for outstanding action and an intense storyline as you read about the Man of Steel's origins. Starting from the very beginning.

Superman: Earth One Volume Three

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: We talked to J. Michael Straczynski about this book HERE.

The Good

I was always on the fence with the Earth One books. When the first came out, I didn't really understand the point or need to re-do Superman's origin, especially with the New 52 about to start up. There is something to the concept. With the Earth One universe, there is some flexibility to tell a different kind of story with the familiar characters without having to be tied down to years of continuity or other characters. J. Michael Straczynski gave us a younger and more brash Superman. If I recall correctly, he could even be a bit of a jerk. But we did see him become a hero in a world that wasn't sure what to make of him. The second volume continued that journey with some still not sure what to make of Superman.

This third volume is probably my favorite of the three. Superman has become somewhat established and Clark Kent is working on making his way at the Daily Planet. We're seeing his relationships form with Lois and Jim (it's weird not thinking of him as Jimmy). We also have the new character, Lisa Lasalle, who adds a different feel to the book as well.

With the story here, Superman has two battles to fight. There are elements of the government that are obviously concerned with him. When another character comes up, we have the perfect foe for Superman to battle. What we want in a story like this is an opponent that can go toe to toe with Superman that has a mix of brain and brawn. There some layers to the character that makes him a big problem for Superman. Compared to the a similar story we've recently seen, I found the conclusion here more satisfactory.

Ardian Syaf takes over the art duties in this volume. He adds a nice touch to the characters, keeping the feel we've seen in the other volumes as well as creating some new looks on other characters and concepts we've seen in the previous stories.

The Bad

Some parts of the story feel a little like we've seen it before. It's not too much since there is the "Earth One" feel to the world.

The art is good but there are some points it falters a bit. In some panels, you'll notice inconsistencies. For the most part, it's all pretty slick but the few moments things shift a little, it becomes slightly distracting.

The Verdict

The more I read Earth One books, the more on board I become. The first Superman volume had an interesting beginning but the second

felt a little lacking. This third volume kicks things up in a nice big way. Straczynski is taking a familiar conflict and adding his touch and the Earth One feel to it. Ardian Syaf handles the art and adds some nice touches with some new character designs. SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE is Superman story anyone can jump into. You don’t have to worry about any baggage and it’s a refreshing way to get a different sort of Superman story.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm glad earth one books are starting to come out faster between releases.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might have lost the Ultimate Universe. But at least Earth One is still going strong.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm at my LCS right now. The book is literally in my hand.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Go-Speed-Racer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Go-Speed-Racer

I'll give it a try, sounds good to me, give it up for Earth One

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Can't wait to read this!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was SUCH A GOOD read. There was this one that almost made me cry, it had such a Death of Spider-Man feel to it..the art and the dialogue was so intense and passionate and so human. And what they did with Lex^2...WOW!!! Talk about a twist. Zod's story was really interesting too and it was a nice fresh take on the character too.

Just all around...amazing. I really hope we see a volume 4 in the future, perhaps after they do a Justice League: Earth-One. I'd hate for this to be the end of the series.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee:

JMS said in an interview that he'd write these til the day he died as long as DC will let him.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

@sog7dc: I know, but for some reason I always think GN's always end after 3 volumes. Like how most movies do. But the E1 line is just so good I hope they make dozens of volumes...as long as it stays good

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I know, but for some reason I always think GN's always end after 3 volumes. Like how most movies do. But the E1 line is just so good I hope they make dozens of volumes...as long as it stays good

Actually, here's a qupte from this interview which was published today.

"IGN: How long do you plan to continue writing Superman: Earth One? There were a few things set up for the future. Is there a certain number of volumes you have planned out? Do you have a planned ending?

JMS: I always try and leave doors open for future stories. Certainly the ending of the book sets up a major antagonist for later exploration. Dan said I can keep doing the book for as long as I like, so I'd love to do at least one more three-volume arc, time and circumstance allowing."

I agree. I hope they keep making these and eventually develop an "ultimate universe" of their own.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Actually, here's a qupte from this interview which was published today.

"IGN: How long do you plan to continue writing Superman: Earth One? There were a few things set up for the future. Is there a certain number of volumes you have planned out? Do you have a planned ending?

JMS: I always try and leave doors open for future stories. Certainly the ending of the book sets up a major antagonist for later exploration. Dan said I can keep doing the book for as long as I like, so I'd love to do at least one more three-volume arc, time and circumstance allowing."

I agree. I hope they keep making these and eventually develop an "ultimate universe" of their own.

i heard in another interview that he had an age planned out as to when he would stop

i think it was 100 and something or late 90s

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogueshadow  Moderator

I did enjoy the Superman: Earth One books, though I'm not keen on the focus on Supes' intellect. I thought this was coming out later than February for some reason. I'll definitely pick it up.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@arturocalakayvee said:

This was SUCH A GOOD read. There was this one that almost made me cry, it had such a Death of Spider-Man feel to it..the art and the dialogue was so intense and passionate and so human. And what they did with Lex^2...WOW!!! Talk about a twist. Zod's story was really interesting too and it was a nice fresh take on the character too.

Just all around...amazing. I really hope we see a volume 4 in the future, perhaps after they do a Justice League: Earth-One. I'd hate for this to be the end of the series.

QFT!!

I really enjoyed this book, like really enjoyed it. I can't really explain this book other than fresh, it is the most fresh Superman story in a while. Just read through it and still processing, JMS ended the arc he started in volume 1 with a huge bang. Imo really well written and i liked the art as well, keeping in tone with the first two volumes and maybe it's just me but in some panels Ardian Syaf's pencills look like Jim Lee's which is never a bad thing.

A fresh Superman story which by my experience reading it, will definitely appeal to current generations.

There's one line, a question when he's talking to Lois towards the end where in an instant he becomes more contemporary and inspiring. In terms of all that's happening in the world today.

If anyone is reading this and you haven't picked up a superman comic before, try this. And don't worry about the number of the volume, as stated in the review, it is very accessible :)

(Such a natural progression in the Lex^2 story, Oh my God!! Will have to read this again before i go to bed)

P.S- 5/5 from me ;)

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmd735 said:

I'm glad earth one books are starting to come out faster between releases.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved the way lex2 and zod were introduced in this comic..when us vol4 coming out?

takashi_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved these volumes! i think comics should have 100+ pages :D

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By dernman

@sog7dc said:

I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Have you read it yet? Just finished it myself. Finally since the new 52 started it feels like I'm reading the Superman I've been missing. I almost forgot the pleasure I get from reading Superman.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Yeah I thought it was good. Did you notice Clark's change in personality from the first two volumes? He seemed more cold in this one, to me. I thought the art was extremely lazy. But other than that I really enjoyed the story.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: @dernman:

Yeah I thought it was good. Did you notice Clark's change in personality from the first two volumes? He seemed more cold in this one, to me. I thought the art was extremely lazy. But other than that I really enjoyed the story.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dernman

@sog7dc: Really? I thought he was appropriately upset at times but I wouldn't say cold. That's just me though.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Idk he just seemed more distant than in previous volumes. His unwillingness to embrace Lisa struck me as cold. Not because he was hesitant but because of the way in which he resisted. I still think it was very good, though. I just hope they get a different artist for the next go around. Shane Davis or maybe even Kenneth Rocafort. Syaf's art looked plain lazy.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dernman

@sog7dc: Maybe I was just distracted on how they were getting so many other things right.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.