Follow

Superman/Batman

Team » Superman/Batman appears in 1080 issues.

Superman and Batman, the two most recognizable characters in comic books, frequently team up to tackle threats that neither of them can handle on their own, each bringing their own special talents to the fore.

Superman & Batman's Relationship

deadpool101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By deadpool101

Different writers render the two's relationship differently. Some make them friends. Others make them enemies. It really depends. Personally, I like Frank Miller's redition of them; bitter aquantices. They're not quite enemies, but they are definitely not friends. But I would like to hear other people's opinions on the two. So I opened this forum.
    Bat-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bat-God

It depends.

Assman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Assman

They've never really been enemies, that much is for certain.  Just two sides of the same coin.  They may have different methods, and different tactics, but they've always respected each other and trusted each other, that has never changed.
    deadpool101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deadpool101

Yeah i guess.....but they don't ALWAYS trust each other. but okay....

Darth-Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Darth-Spidey

The best of friends...most of the time.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Jotham

It changes over time, I think right now they're moderate friends. I like it best when they're best friends, although it has the potential to go a little too far...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF

i like them closer to friends. I think of them  as best friends that no one out side of the big 3 can understand how they can stand being around each other. 98% of the time never seeing eye to eye on anything.
    Bat-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bat-God

They don't agree almost all of the time. The clip of them having a moment was written in an age of lesser writing in comic books. The characters were not protrayed well.  
     They have a very, very tight bond. They've spent over 12 years fighting alongside each other. But I wouldn't describe them as friends. And if I did, not as "the best of friends".  

They have an uneasy but bareable companionship. They are allies, and they have a bond, but they aren't friends in any normal sense.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RedK

near the beginning I saw them as aquantices who don't like each others tactics but over time they have become best friends along with Diana.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for damian_the_brat_wonder
    Damian the Brat Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Touching clips. Really. But I'd like to point out that uh...they point out each other's differences a lot. I mean if you think that a guy who believes in "truth, justice, and the american way" can get along with a guy who believes in taking justice into his own hands........then yer f***ing crazy. No offense.  

deadpool101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deadpool101

couldn't agree more. although they do have their moments. darth spidey will remind you ad nauseum that in hush, batman said "what are friends for" about supes but still.....one line in one story. you can't base your whole idea about characters on things like that. not to mention, on the back of "Batman; Dark Knight Returns", stephen king remarks "quite possibly the finest piece of comic art ever published in a popular edition". that's saying a lot. and in the end, superman and batman beat the shit outta each other. so i wouldn't say they're the best of friends.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By speedlgt

anyone who think that they hate eachother or even dont like eachother is just crazy. They are the worlds Finest team. No team in history is grater than Superman Batman I dont care if you put the beyonder and darkseed on the same team they still cant beat S&B

there relationship is that of brothers. to batman superman is his equal he views him as a savior but also as navie. he knows that superman brings hope and he respects that and admires that because batman doesnot bring hope he brings fear to those who would be evil. 

To superman batman is ultimate human the greatest dective the one person he trusts more than any other. 
    in short they both wish to be like eachother
    batman has no closer bond than the one he as to superman they are brothers and brothers dont agree all the time but thata doesnt change that they are family

Darth-Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darth-Spidey
    @deadpool101 said:
    "

darth spidey will remind you ad nauseum that in hush, batman said "what are friends for" about supes but still.....one line in one story. you can't base your whole idea about characters on things like that.

"

I don't.  I maintain that they ARE friends.  But like some friends,  they don't always see eye to eye and are not always on the best of terms.  They are still friends though.  I mean, just look at the panels above!  It's clear that Batman was hit pretty hard when Superman died, and later after Batman died, Wonder Woman telling Superman that if Batman hated Superman, he wouldn't have spent years trying to be like him.  Oh, and about bashing me for using one source to back my claims?  The Dark Knight Returns isn't canon, Batman Hush is.
    CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CylonDorado

Judging by the dialogue in Public Enemies, Superman is totally gay for Batman. But then again, who isn't?
    Damian the Brat Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, t.m.i. 

um superman isn't gay for batman, just gay. 

and i almost puked with the whole "brothers" thing. yeah they have a cool team, but they aren't best  buds or bros. they don't hate each other...but they don't have a reeeeally close relationship either. and i stand by that. and may i remind people that anything written at the time that superman died has to be taken w/ a pinch of salt. 

...make that a bucket of salt. supes had long hair, olsen was "turtle man" on t.v., eradicator had yellow goggles, superboy had the dumbest look ever, steel was named "john henry irons", etc. 

so i rest in my proclomation that they are team mates, aquanticies, maybe, MAYBE friends, but they are not brothers or best pals. 

(and please, no more cheesey "i love you man" lines or clips about the pair!)
    Darth-Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darth-Spidey
    @Damian the Brat Wonder said:
    " Haha, t.m.i.  um superman isn't gay for batman, just gay.  and i almost puked with the whole "brothers" thing. yeah they have a cool team, but they aren't best  buds or bros. they don't hate each other...but they don't have a reeeeally close relationship either. and i stand by that. and may i remind people that anything written at the time that superman died has to be taken w/ a pinch of salt.  ...make that a bucket of salt. supes had long hair, olsen was "turtle man" on t.v., eradicator had yellow goggles, superboy had the dumbest look ever, steel was named "john henry irons", etc.  so i rest in my proclomation that they are team mates, aquanticies, maybe, MAYBE friends, but they are not brothers or best pals.  (and please, no more cheesey "i love you man" lines or clips about the pair!) "  

I agree.  And about 90s Superboy...he didn't just look stupid.  He WAS stupid.  I HATE 90s Superboy so much.  He is one of my least favorite DC characters and it makes it hard for me to have any kind of respect for modern Superboy.  As for Eradicator...minus the stupid goggles, I like his look, and I also happen to like the character a lot.  He's sure as hell cooler then Steel and frickin Superboy.
    Damian the Brat Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't get me wrong, in the 90's superboy sucked; he was cocky, stupid, had a bad haircut, a @#$%ing earing, a strange costume, and stupid glasses and laser vision goggles. he sucked. but modern day superboy is badass. read the contemporary teen titans graphic novels 1-5. you'll see what i mean.

deadpool101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deadpool101

i completely agree. those comics bring out the coolest in superboy. in those comics, they invented the whole 50/50 supes and lex luthor dna thing. they had superboy save the universe in infinite crisis. he developed more of his namesake's powers, etc.  

modern superboy is so cool! 

but anyways, back to the topic. superman is not gay. he's damn close, but if you were married to lois lane, and worked closely with wonder woman, i don't think you'd be gay either. and i still am not convinced that they are brotherly friends.

Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yaujtapool

They have a bromance .

Darth-Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Darth-Spidey

You know, now that I think about it, that's EXACTLY the kind of relationship they have.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Bromosexuals

pxrxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeremy1989

Batman has respect for him but not as much as Superman does.

dannygardner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark Kent loves Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne loves justice yet likes Clark enough to allow him to hang in the Batcave. If Clark is screwed, Bruce remembers he is his brother in arms. When they fight, it isn't like enemies but brothers. Your brother can be your best friend. Or your worst enemy. Or both, at once. Their relationship, in all its complexity, means a lot to me personally. In total, it's damned nuanced writing.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I prefer them as practically brothers, with all the closeness and anamosity that relationship would imply.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.