starkiller809's Superman #9 - Secrets & Lies review

Avatar image for starkiller809

"Dad"

THE GOOD:
I think that art looks okay in this issue Dan Durgens in doing it with some finishes by Jesus Merino. I really like the panels that take place under the water. I think that the bubbles around him are really cool. I also like the amount of details that they add to the city in the backgrounds. The story has been done before, but this feels a little original. We get to see Superman save a Russian sub. Then we get to see a blogger trying to tell Lois Lane that Superman has a secret identity. I think this issue was okay. There were some good moments. I think the characterization of Jimmy Olsen was amazing. I also really like reading what Superman is saying. I think that we also are going to get a really interesting next issue based on what happened in this issue.

THE BAD:
I wish they would've just focused on the sub part because they just kinda drop it. I also don't believe that the chances that the new villains would be related to the guy that has been called Superman. I just don't see how that of a city of a couple of million people, that happens. I also think that some of the dialog is really... dumb. I think that this type of story feels old and done before. I don't like stories that involve his secret identity being figured out because it has been done a lot. Reading this issue also really made me get that Lois and Clark are done and it just kinda hit me 9 months late.

THE VERDICT: 3/5 (GOOD)
This series has been a bumpy ride so far. We get a decent issue and the rest just seem to be 'eh'. Not saying that this issue is bad, but there is so much you could do with the character that they aren't. This book has a lot of potential and I think if we get a direction with a huge villain and a deep plot, we would have something. But we are left with this. I would say get this issue you want something different that the old and if you like the character. For plot and story, may not be your thing.