doom_doom_doom's Superman #666 - The Beast From Krypton review

Avatar image for doom_doom_doom

Superman's Evil Dream.

First off, I'm not a Superman fan. Secondly, I don't think anyone else would have passed this cover in a 50 cent bin either. I'm not familiar with the writer, Busiek, outside of the Red Tornado mini-series. He does an O.K. job here even though the dialogue is forgettable, it's not glaringly awful. The best part of the writing for me was Phantom Stranger's narration towards the beginning. I liked Simonson's art, not the best in the world but he's got a style that seemed to suit this story. On a side-note, there are more instances of Clark with his eyes closed than with them open. Anyways, the story leaves the same taste in your mouth that you get from any other issue which is largely comprised of a dream sequence, salty...and the feeling that you just read something pointless. Regardless, it is still rewarding to see Clark go on a rampage destroying friend and foe alike, even if the rampage seems to come out of nowhere and escalate to quickly. Then again, maybe it's a good show of how easy(and quickly) Clark could turn the tables on Earth, going from being one of it's greatest protectors to it's sole destroyer. Clark literally goes from destroying a display stand of pickles to having killed, Lex Luthor, Braniac, Doomsday, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, and Perry White within ten pages or less.

Insert Anchor Man
Insert Anchor Man "Well, that escalated quickly" meme here.

Another gripe I have with this issue is when Clark lays defeated, turned into Krypton's version of the anti-christ, another Clark pops out of the ground and is all "Hey, Phantom Stranger split me in two!". I get it, I get it, but it's just a little too neat of an end of issue rap-up. Overall, a fun little time-waster of a read that killed less time than it took me to write this review. Wouldn't recommend it unless you want to see Clark go psycho...and then find out he didn't really go psycho, the corruptible shell of Clark did. Overall I give it three stars because it's a fun little read and that's about all it has going for it.