Elbarto17's Superior Spider-Man #26 - The Goblin War review

Avatar image for Elbarto17
  • Elbarto17 wrote this review on .
  • Elbarto17 has written a total of 46 reviews. The last one was for Worldwide

Good set-up issue.One of the many,the series has given us.

Story

Avengers are ready to act.No,im not lying,seriously.They are.No really.Wait,dont leave!!...they really are!!!....wait!...."sigh"
Anyway,the confront Peter-Pus and ask him why he erased some tapes.....not why he shot a man in the face,or has an army ,and giant robots on a photographer's salary(they don't know that he was a Horizon scientist)....those are stuff that were likely to happen.But the security tapes!!!!...something's wrong with Peter!!...(okay,i stop)
On the other side of the city,Green Goblin and his army is having a showdown with Hobgoblin and his army,something fans were waiting for like 35 years.Presumably Kingsley is fighting Norman.That's the reason for the excitement.But nooooooo.....not it.Again.
SpOck quits the Avengers because they stood him against the wall with,get that,...QUESTIONS!!!...HOLY JESUS!! ....(okay,now i really stop.Seriously)
Goblin wins the fight by killing Kingsley and taking his army.But it's not Kingsley.For the second time in Slott's run.
And Goblin Nation is on.

Thoughts

First of all,the writing is improved from the previous arc.Because Slott's writing it by himself.This book,and every book,works better with solo writers and solo artists.It's an obvious statement but i have a reason for stating it.Apparently if we're getting a solo writer issue,we pay the price of having a multi artist issue....at least they're drawing different parts of the story,so it klinda connects.Humberto is drawing the Goblin showdown and Martin is drawing the Avengers-Peterpus civilized conversation.Anyway.

The Green Goblin stops the fight and makes a deal with Hobby,by saying that whoever guts the other,takes his army.Interesting.Rational.
Hobby accepts the proposal.They throw some bombs at each other,while the armies dine together and place bets on who's gonna win....i suppose.They talk crap about each other,taunting one another,but that one second Hobgoblin calls Harry Osborn a dissapointment(a satement i totally agree with, btw) and Norman stardled,replies "What?!....how you dare talk like that about my...." and he eats a bomb to the stomach.So there's a big plus on the theory that Norman is the Goblin.Well,aside of logic.The next hint is that the flaming-spiky bomb has burned his shirt-vest-whatever he's wearing and this reveals his scar from the time that he got nailed by his glider(i am a dirty mutherf-).But that,if you ask me,is less of a clue than his reaction to the Harry comment......why?....cause it's too obvious.But then again,it's Marvel.The obvious is often the correct thing.
And another thing.Flaming-spiky-bomb ....this should have killed him......like,twice....Anyway,it's comics.

So let's head to the dumb Avengers/Spider-Pus scenes.
The Earth's Mightiest Heroes(my overlly round butt) confront Spider-Man and say to him that he erased some tapes and that he needs to come in for questioning.He comes and Tony asks why.He says "to protect my secret ID,you dum-dums!!" ....and that only three people know who he is,in here,and he doesn't want to risk any other man knowing it.....despite the fact that they have a holographic board in front of them which says "PETER PARKER".....no,that's probably not him.
Then Ock gets all d-bag and say that if he is an Avenger and they need to know what's happening to him,then he won't be an Avenger anymore,for them to get off his back.Probably he didn't think that being an Avenger was the only thing that kept him outta prison,for murdering and blackmailing,right?...no?....ok.

Another thing worth mentioning -not really- is that Ghost Peter is talking to himself saying that it's all lost and he's never coming back,but then he remembers that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out in April,and he just gotta fight to regain the control of his body!!...and that,you guessed it,WITH GREAT POWER,COMES GREAT RESPO- ah,the hell with you all....you know what i'm talking about...if you don't,go read an Archie comic.

Back in the Goblin fight,Green Goblin chokes Hobgoblin to death and wins.He takes his army and they bail.Urich knowing that Kingsley is a tricky little fox,checks the mask,and discovers that HE ISN'T RODERICK KINGSLEY!!!!....WOW!!!...FOR THE SECOND TIME IN SLOTT'S RUN RODDY FOOLED THEM ALL!!!......And got two people killed.It's like 'Iron Man 3' all over again.He is never in the suit.

Art is great.Humberto Ramos draws a creepy-sadistic Green Goblin,and a weird,almost faceless, Hoblgoblin....(that's the only gripe)
Martin is an overall good artist,no matter what people say.I liked his contribution to the issue.Preety stuff.
No problem with the art,at all.

Nice issue.Setting up for Goblin Nation.It did it's job right.

Image Notes

Why did Stegman had to leave?!....WHY?!?!?
Why did Stegman had to leave?!....WHY?!?!?
YOU TOLD MY MOM,WHAT?!!!
YOU TOLD MY MOM,WHAT?!!!

Preety convinient to remember only the Lee/Ditko-Romita stuff......maybe a tad racist.
Humberto,you're a mediocre,hard-working artist,but DAMN.....your Green Goblin is extacicly awesome!

Tony doesn't know!!...Nat doesn't know!!....it says Peter Parker on the hologram board!!!...you have simple human vision on this helmet of yours,Stark?!

Oh,yeah,let's use this rare scene.Sure.It hasn't been used a lot.We're practically the first ones to use it as a referance ,after Ditko and Lee.....

Avengers:
Avengers:"So we like...do something?!...SAY something?!....no,let's just sit there and look at the view from a broken window.Yeah,good idea.

That's accually a preety cool idea there....
That's accually a preety cool idea there....