Follow

Supergirl

Series »

The adventures of GIRL OF STEEL in her own superhero career.

Supergirl Episode #101 - "Pilot"

• 137 results
    Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@folly said:

I liked it. It was flawed, mostly because of the pacing but other than that I am looking forward to future episodes. Benoist could become a really great Supergirl, I liked how awkward she was and that she was allowed to be "unpretty".

Well my sister described her as a 'mouse' and that I think is what they were going for.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, there's so much Comic Vine reader hate that you'd think this was a Marvel property...

Personally, I loved it.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By ips

@killraven4334 LOL. I'm assuming you're not a feminist based on your statements?

No, it's not. Your understanding of the concept of feminism is pretty facile. The statement was an intelligent one that you apparently couldn't pick up on.

Being a feminist means being female positive period. It means there's nothing wrong with being called either a "girl" or a "woman" in this context. That was her character's point.

She didn't make an antifeminist statement; she effectively "reclaimed" the word "girl" by pointing out the social baggage being called a girl has associated with it. She did this because using the word "girl" has become a negative like. ie. "You hit like a girl" or "You run like a girl" the same way "That's so gay" became used as a negative.

She didn't say "if you don't like it, that's your problem" [LOL?!]. She said: "What do you think is being so bad about girl? [...] If you perceive Supergirl, as anything less than excellent; isn't the problem you?"

Effectively saying "If you think being called a girl is a negative thing, the problem is in how *you're* perceiving the word girl." Many feminists dislike being called a girl, as a form of condescension and social demoralization; they don't have a problem with being called the word "girl" itself.

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be pretty explosions in upcoming episodes.

@killraven4334 said:

yeah it is, calling someone a girl not a woman, and defending the use of girl saying if you don't like it thats your problem. Many feminists find it demeaning to be called a girl instead of a woman, so defending that sentiment is definitively an anti-feminist talking point

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did the DEO even capture her in the first place? Just to prove that they could? That whole thing seemed like a waste of time.

I wish they would include Superman at some point, even if just for a single episode. I know DC is terrified about putting their flagship characters in the TV verse, but like...if they cast someone to play Clark for even an episode and just give him a voice and a face it would be better than him being this faceless entity that people only ever talk about. They talk about him way too damn much for him to just be a faceless figure.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't terrible, but a little cheesy in part. And I wish the effects were better, so that the fights looked more interesting. But I'll keep watching. Love me some Supergirl.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips said:

@killraven4334 LOL. I'm assuming you're not a feminist based on your statements?

No, it's not. Your understanding of the concept of feminism is pretty facile. The statement was an intelligent one that you apparently couldn't pick up on.

Being a feminist means being female positive period. It means there's nothing wrong with being called either a "girl" or a "woman" in this context. That was her character's point.

She didn't make an antifeminist statement; she effectively "reclaimed" the word "girl" by pointing out the social baggage being called a girl has associated with it. She did this because using the word "girl" has become a negative like. ie. "You hit like a girl" or "You run like a girl" the same way "That's so gay" became used as a negative.

She didn't say "if you don't like it, that's your problem" [LOL?!]. She said: "What do you think is being so bad about girl? [...] If you perceive Supergirl, as anything less than excellent; isn't the problem you?"

Effectively saying "If you think being called a girl is a negative thing, the problem is in how *you're* perceiving the word girl." Many feminists dislike being called a girl, as a form of condescension and social demoralization; they don't have a problem with being called the word "girl" itself.

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be pretty explosions in upcoming episodes.

@killraven4334 said:

yeah it is, calling someone a girl not a woman, and defending the use of girl saying if you don't like it thats your problem. Many feminists find it demeaning to be called a girl instead of a woman, so defending that sentiment is definitively an anti-feminist talking point

No the person in this discussion who doesn't understand what feminism stands for is you. Judging from your revisionist history and seeming to believe that being feminist simply means being girl positive you do not understand your own ideology, its roots or where it comes from. Read Sexual Politics by Kate Millett, still hailed as the cornerstone of feminist literature. Read that womans works, the mother of modern feminism, and dare with a straight face to repeat your naive and infantile view of what that ideology actually stands for. I have read countless actual feminists, those women who actually coined the term, and it has nothing to do with equality. It never did. You bandwagon onto a hateful ideology with roots in Marxism and Eugenics that is based entirely on destroying the patriarchy and the family. You spout off about equality when your leaders are quoted as wanted to commit genocide, and restrict motherhood to only those it sees fit while aborting all undesirables. Margaret Sanger noted feminist founder of planed parenthood was a monster. I know more about your ideology than you ever will, and attempting to further it by lying about its origins and true goals is intellectually dishonest and manipulative.

As for your interpretation of the girl vs woman debate,you are just seeing what you want to. but don't try and spew nonsense about what feminism really is when all you have to do is google early feminist literature, margaret sanger quotes, kate millett quotes, to see what your movement stands for.

kingofwhales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I`ll try watching the next episode to see if it gets better but I thought the pilot was bad.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it an I'll continue with it for now. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars. I like Melissa Benoist as Kara a lot. Only two issues I have are #1 There were 3-4 Over the Top/Cheesy type moments. Hopefully that dies down as the show settles in to its own an doesn't feel the need to spell everything out so blatantly. Give the fans some credit. We fan figure out the themes on our own. Secondly, I thought the show could have done without a villain of the week. I was actually more interested in Kara's life thus far, personality, and relationships with her sister, Jimmy James Olson, Cat grant, "Wynn", ect. But I assume the studio needed a villain to showcase the show's action sequences. Maybe a 2 hour premiere would have worked better to include everything.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: you're thinking of the Superman animated series. It was mostly Kal who taught her how to use her powers. In the comics, she only allowed herself to be adopted by the Danvers because she was powerless at the time, and they didn't find out about her powers until Kal introduced her as Supergirl.

Depends on which continuity you're basing her origins off of.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ips

@killraven4334

1) I'm a feminist,

2) You've already demonstrated an inability to understand information being directly presented to you [when you misunderstood the Cat Grant quote] putting your understanding of complex nuanced sexual politics at a disadvantage and;

3) You're not a feminist.

Society has moved forward and along with it, our understanding of social issues. No social movement stays trapped in time the same way society doesn't. Feminism has EVOLVED since the 70s and the media started talking about it. 40 years ago, only a MAN who doesn't understand feminism and thinks feminism is about women being against men would have come to the conclusions you did.

I don't understand why people like you don't believe women and men should be treated equally. I say that because if you did believe in equality you would call yourself a feminist and stop trying to portray feminists as angry man-haters as a means of silencing the dialogue. Read the literature instead of Wiki titles and authors, and for Zod's sake be smart enough to understand what they're talking about. ... Another psycho right wing fundamentalist in the geek community, and on the internet... surprise.

@killraven4334 said:

No the person in this discussion who doesn't understand what feminism stands for is you. Judging from your revisionist history and seeming to believe that being feminist simply means being girl positive you do not understand your own ideology, its roots or where it comes from. Read Sexual Politics by Kate Millett, still hailed as the cornerstone of feminist literature. Read that womans works, the mother of modern feminism, and dare with a straight face to repeat your naive and infantile view of what that ideology actually stands for. I have read countless actual feminists, those women who actually coined the term, and it has nothing to do with equality. It never did. You bandwagon onto a hateful ideology with roots in Marxism and Eugenics that is based entirely on destroying the patriarchy and the family. You spout off about equality when your leaders are quoted as wanted to commit genocide, and restrict motherhood to only those it sees fit while aborting all undesirables. Margaret Sanger noted feminist founder of planed parenthood was a monster. I know more about your ideology than you ever will, and attempting to further it by lying about its origins and true goals is intellectually dishonest and manipulative.

As for your interpretation of the girl vs woman debate,you are just seeing what you want to. but don't try and spew nonsense about what feminism really is when all you have to do is google early feminist literature, margaret sanger quotes, kate millett quotes, to see what your movement stands for.

King_Kenobi62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured I'd give this a shot and I enjoyed it. I can't say I like it as much as flash or arrow but honestly I could barely make it through some of arrow's first season so I'm going to continue tuning in. I thought her heat vision look awesome from a visual standpoint. Really the only thing that got on my nerves was how they would never say Clark, Kal, or Superman. Constantly saying him and your or her cousin got annoying. That's really the only thing I hope they fix in the future if they intend to keep referencing the Man of Steel.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

As far as pilots go, not bad. I think Melissa is delightful as Supergirl and the concept of a crashed Kryptonian prison as the mechanism for the villains of the week is a good explanation for each new foe without having to explain why they have powers via different methods, but i also agree with some of the other comments presented here. The "she's a female superhero" schtick was hit over our heads pretty hard, but to be fair when DC beats marvel at putting a female hero out as the headline lead in their series (Jessica Jones not being out yet, and also being a netflix exclusive and thus not open to the whole broadcasting public (even though technically it is.... but networks, shows and how their made are weird)) you would expect them to bash it in over their (and our) heads. I also think that in a universe where Superman has been established as a prominent figure (know to all by his super, secret name of "you know who... Voldemort") having supergirl deal with these problems solo-ish does leave a bit of a nagging thought in my head.

But i'll check out episode 2. see where it goes from there :)

vddv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The producers of this show would have been better off going with Power Girl. And, making it campy.

That said, this show is not good. And for all the un-PC reasons. You know what they are. But, if I actually spell it out, someone or several someones will soil their pampers because they can't stand hearing certain things.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#113  Edited By BetaRaybdw

Why did she wait so long to use the heat vision? She could have ended the villain in a glance right from the start. Why blow his stupid axe when she could have drilled energy beams through his head? This fight was obviously combat to the death, so when you have that kind of firepower, you lead with it.

I did like the part where she stopped the truck though. and all the flying and action sequences seemed pretty well done.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was aa good pilot, but I got tired of them playing the pronoun game with Superman. Called him that one time, then for the rest of the show, it's;

Him

My cousin

The boy in blue

You know who

Etc

that bothered me as well.

i like how jimmy is a sexy black dude this time

things that bothered me about the plot.

So the main villain pummeled her into the ground.... a helicopter piloted by humans with human weapons arrive and he flees?

her ace in the hole was super heating his axe but she cut it close and had to get up close and personal?
    So she had heat vision this whole time, but didn't use it offensively? so also almost got her face split in two just to do this stupid trick...he could feel her punches, that would have at least stunned him.

if you are going to introduce a power, at least make it for a good reason, not some random ass way of showing it off.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By w0nd

Why did the DEO even capture her in the first place? Just to prove that they could? That whole thing seemed like a waste of time.

I wish they would include Superman at some point, even if just for a single episode. I know DC is terrified about putting their flagship characters in the TV verse, but like...if they cast someone to play Clark for even an episode and just give him a voice and a face it would be better than him being this faceless entity that people only ever talk about. They talk about him way too damn much for him to just be a faceless figure.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't terrible, but a little cheesy in part. And I wish the effects were better, so that the fights looked more interesting. But I'll keep watching. Love me some Supergirl.

Having a some sort of appearance is dangerous though, you have to cast the right person other wise it seems so off. On a side not, watching your cousin get her ass beat every week by a new alien and not show up to help seems a bit off too considering the amount of times they indirectly name dropped him.

They need to cut that stuff out and stop drawing attention to him....or come up with a reason why he isn't helping his inexperienced cousins who is almost getting killed each ep.

Uk2897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: Actually anyone who had access to pirate websites could find it with ease. :P

Uk2897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like the show. I felt like I needed to be a teenage girl to like it. Also I'm not happy how Jimmy Olsen is the exact opposite of what he was. He isn't that lil nerd like kid anymore. But a tall dude who has deep voice and probably has abs and shit as well :p

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400:

yea but I mean , there is other planets , I would honeslty go to Daxam if were superman and supergirl, (Superman's cousins live there)

True, but they wouldn't have their powers on Daxam. Making Earth a much more suitable destination.

On a separate note, Dean Cain and Helen Slater as the Danvers was a great touch and a serious nod to fan service. I look forward to seeing what they do next (although it may take a while to get used to a Black Jimmy Olsen, Hank Henshaw, and Perry White [in the movieverse]). Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, who knows (and before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm Black as well. I'm just not a big fan of "ambitious casting" or whatever they're calling it these days)...

Papa_Patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my main issue with this, and it is really minor, is the casting of Jimmy James Olsen. I don't really care about the race bending. Things like that I don't mind as much in certain things. But, the issue I have is that they made him so Alpha Male when the actually Jimmy Olsen should be slightly geeky, a little inquisitive (he works for a newspaper), and just a tad socially awkward. Kind of like Fitz in a way from AOS.

The only way they could have made him more Alpha was to cast Terry Crews in the part.

I don't like the whole romance angle they are introducing either. But, I guess they are introducing a new weakness, BBC-kryptonite.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dialogue was poor, and it moved too fast. Not unlike most pilots. Was slightly better be than I thought tho.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I loved the pilot. Things are different from the comics, but that is to be expected. Benoist is excellent as Kara. I can't wait to see the second episode. I read this show tied for the highest rated new premiere of this year.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing I loved most about Supergirl is the thing they changed in the show: she's not Kal-El. Supergirl has always struggled with adapting to Earth and grieving over Krypton, whereas Kal grew up here and only heard of Krypton from stories and holograms. Now, they've

- changed her origin too much to Kal's

- put her to work at a newspaper like Kal

- introduced her the same way as Kal (saves a plane)

- the first villain she faces is even a Superman villain.

The problem is now that she comes over as a Superman proxy, rather than her own person, which is a shame. I especially enjoyed New 52 Kara.

This.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125  Edited By BR_Havoc

@ips: I hate to jump into this debate but I do want to say that you should not make a blanket statement that people who do not want to label themselves as feminists do not stand for equality. Like it or not modern day feminism has a lot of baggage attached to itself simply because there are so many conflicting views from the moderate to the out right extreme under one umbrella term. This causes both men and women to shy away from the ideology similar because they see the extreme views ( Like most people that turn away from major religions), To me personally labels mean nothing, its all about peoples personal actions. Its more walk the walk and actually treat people, All people with respect and equally. Judging them only on there character and actions then hold power in a label.

Anyways that is my 2 cents.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ips

@br_havoc: i'm aware of the reputation feminism has. it's not baggage though; it's negative propaganda from people like that guy that is manufactured to dissuade the public from supporting feminism. i didn't judge him for not wanting to label himself as a feminist. i judged him from his comments because they were ignorant, bigoted and misogynistic; which as a by product happens to make him "not a feminist".

every social movement has a left--right spectrum. black rights has extreme fundamentalists on the right and "live and let live" far left liberals also. gay rights has the exact same spectrum. so does feminism. but no, i won't sit there and let some misogynist bigot claim feminism is a bunch of manhaters, or isn't an equality movement or let him misrepresent pro-women's rights comments into misandry comments and then vomit bullshit about how feminism is destroying western culture and families.

when someone is a nazi, everything is left wing. so if you think "equality for everyone" is left wing, eugenics, marxist or whatever bullshit thing you can think up, you might want to take a good look at how far right you're standing. ... i say this in general, it's not directed specifically to you havoc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't feel like it was as good as it could of been.

vlonewolfv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed everything with Melissa Benoist. She is just magnetic and fun to watch in a similar way to Grant Gustin. Not a fan with how they are addressing the "girl power" aspect of the show though. Agent Carter was the same way the first episode or two. Then it settled down, and let the sexism just be a part of the show while Carter showed what she could do. Hopefully this show goes a similar route if they want that to be a driving message.

The rest of the plot was pretty forced, but mostly because of Pilot-itus. Looking forward to see this show grow.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By BR_Havoc

@ips: The reason I jumped in on your comment was because of this line you said " I say that because if you did believe in equality you would call yourself a feminist". With that said, its crazy to think that some of the negativity that is associated with feminism is all propaganda from the opposition of it. Like I stated before you have a group of people with a similar ideology but different ways to achieve there goals under one umbrella term. So when people like Julie Bindel say things like she wants to put all men in camps, or that she hopes heterosexuality does not survive. People are going to take that as a strike against feminism because its something Julie has made her career out of.

I could keep going and going on this topic but I'm not trying to change or views or anything like that, All I'm trying to say is many people in the world believe in equality but they do not believe in what feminism has become which is more or less a political platform with no real leadership and hundreds of conflicting views, Many feminist writers want to speak for the collective and when you do that and screw up people on the outside looking in will not blame the individual they will blame the collective. It's why I stay out of that mess and just carry on as myself with my own individual voice that is not part of a collective or lets a collective speak for him.

Anyways, this is all just my opinion of why I would rather not have a label define me, I will walk the walk judging people on character not any other facts instead of just talking the talk.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

I enjoyed the pilot a lot more than I expected. I REALLY hope the quality doesn't drop as the episodes go AND that CBS doesn't have any unreasonable expectations for the show.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: It might go down a little bit since the rumor is that pilot cost something like 14 million dollar to make.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc listen i appreciate that you think you're trying to be some sort of voice of reason, but you're not. you're in fact, uninformed on the topic.

when i said, "if you believed in equality..." it was because it was a literal statement. if he was informed and believed in equality he would identify as a feminist because they're the same thing. he doesn't identify as one because he doesn't believe feminism is an equality movement. that was the give away for his position. this is not a subjective topic. feminism is a social movement for gender equality. if you are not a feminist you don't believe in equality. if you are, you do. it's rudimentary like basic arithmetic. saying feminism is an anti-men movement is like saying the gay rights movement is an anti-straight movement. or blacklives matter is an antiwhite movement when it's not. it's incredibly stupid to say and demonstrates a complete ignorance of the actual reality behind these issues. are there extreme positions within each of these movements? of course. we already mentioned the left-right spectrum. that doesn't mean the entire social movement is defined by the words or actions of any one person. if so, we could start going around making generalizations about all Americans, all white men, and so on. We all agree that would be stupid though, don't we?

furthermore, feminism is a social movement. it is not a political movement. it does not require a single leader or a single unified voice to speak for it--that's laughable that you would even suggest that. that's like expecting 1 man to speak for all men in the world or 1 gay to speak for ever gay or 1 black to speak for all blacks etc. that's how stupid what you just said was -- although well intentioned, it was totally uninformed. "many feminist writers" do not want to speak for all of feminism or women. the media, society, or men might want specific voices to be the face or voice of feminism so that it's easier to label and understand for some people. but wanting someone to be a leader doesn't mean that individuals are trying to be leaders of something. these women are simply educated and their agenda is to advocate progress and change. they're not trying to be leaders... people like you, who think like you, are trying to project leadership onto them. that's not the same thing.

thanks for your replies, but in the future, you should understand that walking the walk is not good enough. social issues are based on values not actions. action or inaction is not enough. you have to have a value that commits you to something like the cause of equality. if you're going to speak on this topic, you should be spending your time learning what actual feminism IS and explaining it to those who don't understand, instead of explaining a distorted misinformed understanding of it to people who do understand it. unless you are willing to call yourself a feminist, you have no business trying to explain what it is to anyone else.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By BR_Havoc

@ips: I understand and agreed with most of what you said in your first paragraph but you really lost it in the end with the ideas that people do not generalize all American or white men or whatever because we see those in the forms of stereotypes on a daily bases and frankly a branch of modern day feminism has now classified any male comments or concerns as "Male tears" Or "Mansplaining" and you really have to be blind or choose to turn a blind eye not to see this. You seem to feel I'm defending or be the voice of reason when truthfully I'm not. I'm only speaking my opinion in how I have seen modern day 3rd wave feminism shape itself in the world around me. Where personally I have seen huge amounts of hypocrisy in the feminist community with steps being taken that go against the original founding points, why is that once again because Feminism is such an umbrella term now a days.

Now I can sit here and take several hours to debate your posts and link you to articles of writers attempting to speak for the collective but frankly I don't care enough to do so because this debate is between to close minded people and also I'm not that great at getting my point across via text much better in actual human interaction. My grand point as been this, I believe strongly in individuality and that no label needs to define me, I define me, That I feel personally treating each person I meet with respect and judging them off there character is much more impactful then sitting at my desk and complaining online or being a lazy activist ( Not saying all feminist activists are lazy). I walk the walk, and its time for others to stop thinking that talking the talk some how excludes them from having to do the same.

You are very good at getting your points across via text, but you do have some typical issues that has become synonymous with the new age of progressives, You quickly label people things and people something they are not when they disagree with you ( You called Killraven a Nazi which is far to extreme with no proof) and you seem to subscribe to the think of your with us or against us. I have never been your enemy here, In fact I believe in the same thing you do which is equality between the sexes, between the all racial groups, religious groups and sexual orientations but because I do not follow your ideology to a T or will not label myself something then I should not be allowed to have a voice.

So lets call this one a draw and continue to work for equality in our different unique ways. Keep up the good fight.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ips

@br_havoc

there's so much wrong with your reply. i don't even know where to start.

highlights. i'm a militant progressive. that means i have no time for ignorance of any kind at all. i will call it out in a heartbeat and i don't care how offended the target is. i believe in shaming people for their ignorance without hesitation. i can't wait for Anonymous to out those KKK members. BUT, this doesn't make me the voice of feminism or any other social movement though. the opposite of progressive is regressive and i hate regressive ignorant people. period. so yeah, you're either with "us" or against "us". there's no inbetween on the concept of equality. wtf is that... "you can have rights... and you and you.. but not you because i dont like you." being a militant progressive also means i will frequently clash against fundamentalists within a movement as well though. meaning; i will also clash with manhating feminists or gay rights activists who advocate ridiculous perspectives or agendas that cannibalize their own community, for example.

if you believe in gender equality then congratulations; you're a feminist. whether you feel comfortable calling yourself that or not. but you are. that's what i've been trying to explain. someone that tells you they are not synonyms doesn't know what they're talking about. at it's core feminism is an equality movement. ignore the right wing fundamentalist feminists who hate men; if they don't appeal to you. they are not the definition of feminism. they're the extreme right of the very large feminism movement. i don't know how many ways i can write this before it sinks in. feminism doesn't belong to a community or any one individual it's a broad social movement towards change for everyone.

you're using words like "mansplaining" and "male tears". lol and you think that that is feminists and women hating on men and an example of that? lol. man up (i also believe in reverse discrimination to illlustrate points). you're being called out on your bullshit when someone says that. you're not being hated because you're male.

you can save me the wiki research on feminism. even offering to do that just illustrates taht you're not getting what i'm saying at all -- no one is denying there are right wing fundamentalist feminists within the feminism movement who have extreme positions which you could cite as "proof" of your position. when you get a more evolved position on the topic you'll realize that someone on the extreme right of a position doesn't mean there isn't an entire group of people living on the rest of the spectrum to the left of their positions. you're literally saying feminism is defined by the 20 or so fundamentalists on the right and ignoring every other voice left of that saying they just want progress. it's no different than claiming all christians are bigots because kim davis exists. it's so incredibly facile and stupid it's mind boggling that you can even say it and not see the problem with what you're saying.

this isn't a draw. your reply was well intentioned but based in misinformation and misunderstanding. i'm sorry you feel like feminists are out to get you because you're a man. but you're wrong. they're out to get you because ignorance keeps falling out of your mouth when you speak. you're confusing the two.

@br_havoc said:

@ips: I understand and agreed with most of what you said in your first paragraph but you really lost it in the end with the ideas that people do not generalize all American or white men or whatever because we see those in the forms of stereotypes on a daily bases and frankly a branch of modern day feminism has now classified any male comments or concerns as "Male tears" Or "Mansplaining" and you really have to be blind or choose to turn a blind eye not to see this. You seem to feel I'm defending or be the voice of reason when truthfully I'm not. I'm only speaking my opinion in how I have seen modern day 3rd wave feminism shape itself in the world around me. Where personally I have seen huge amounts of hypocrisy in the feminist community with steps being taken that go against the original founding points, why is that once again because Feminism is such an umbrella term now a days.

Now I can sit here and take several hours to debate your posts and link you to articles of writers attempting to speak for the collective but frankly I don't care enough to do so because this debate is between to close minded people and also I'm not that great at getting my point across via text much better in actual human interaction. My grand point as been this, I believe strongly in individuality and that no label needs to define me, I define me, That I feel personally treating each person I meet with respect and judging them off there character is much more impactful then sitting at my desk and complaining online or being a lazy activist ( Not saying all feminist activists are lazy). I walk the walk, and its time for others to stop thinking that talking the talk some how excludes them from having to do the same.

You are very good at getting your points across via text, but you do have some typical issues that has become synonymous with the new age of progressives, You quickly label people things and people something they are not when they disagree with you ( You called Killraven a Nazi which is far to extreme with no proof) and you seem to subscribe to the think of your with us or against us. I have never been your enemy here, In fact I believe in the same thing you do which is equality between the sexes, between the all racial groups, religious groups and sexual orientations but because I do not follow your ideology to a T or will not label myself something then I should not be allowed to have a voice.

So lets call this one a draw and continue to work for equality in our different unique ways. Keep up the good fight.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By BR_Havoc

@ips:Since you have shown that you can not keep this civil and have shown a lot of hypocrisy in your latest reply making assumptions and seemingly twist my words to misrepresent me. Lets continue this via PM where perhaps we can get a better understanding of the opposing views

Avatar image for cpt_facepuncher
    Cpt_FacePuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Sigh* Why can't people keep these Femenism debates to the Femenism thread? Stay on topic, people. >.<

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping the first episode of this show would be a lot more tolerable.

It hammers you in the face with exposition, that largely makes Kara a Superman-Proxy from the start and introduces an assortment of plot-holes that are never going to be touched upon. Then there is Kara's sister coming off as inhumanely awful (oh, you feeling bad about yourself for years made me feel awesome! Don't mind if I shoot you out of the sky, rather than simply inviting you over to the secret military group to talk to you - for reasons!)

Not to mention 'girl power'. Ugh. It felt unbearably regressive to see her gender being such a prominent feature throughout - compared to the last two decades of female heroes in the media that were just people that were heroic. While gender is important, stuff like this:

"On my planet women bow before men!" (He already tried to kill her sister / plane of bystanders / city folk - he's bad enough without being a misogynist).

"She's not strong enough"

"Why?! Because she's just a girl!" (No, because villain-no-name literally caught her fist and easily over-powered her. She is weaker than he is.)

This tone is poison to an audience. Sorry to say, Constantine is still the best thing out of the DC live-action format in the last decade.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.