Follow

Supergirl

Character » Supergirl appears in 3428 issues.

Kara Zor-El is Superman's cousin and last survivor of Krypton's Argo City. She has a brash and defiant personality that she developed in response to the destruction of Krypton. Currently, she's operating out of National City alongside the D.E.O.

Which SuperGirl Book Should I Read?

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NeoAndroid

I bought the Superman/Batman SuperGirl book that introduced her into the mainstream back in 2005. I started to read her own series but now with the reboot should i leave that and read the reboot? Im not sure why they cut her hair in the reboot i liked her better with long hair like in the book i have. But anyways is it the reboot one to read and is it the same book name or something else? like 'Supergirl 52' or is it still continuing in its own 2005 book?

Any Help Will be Greatly Appreciated :)

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By LoganRogue24

i like sterling gates run on supergirl the best the reboot is getting interesting though. idk its your choice.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I really liked her series before the reboot so you may want to start with that before the Dc reboot Supergirl.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@NeoAndroid: No, the new Supergirl book pretty much starts all over so what you're going to want to do is read the current ongoing. If you still have some extra cash and time, it would be possible to buy a few Trade Paperbacks of the last series to familiarize yourself with the character, but it is important for you to know that nothing that happened previously is in continuity anymore, as far as I'm aware.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Try the 2005-11 reboot volume. Its not bad, although the first 19 issues or so has ridiculous PIS/Loebforce at work in demonstrating Kara's powers. But it was a solid series and I'm currently trying to get all the issues myself.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Hunter114

I'd say go with the original run from Superman / Batman: Vol 2 and the collections that follow it:

Power, Candor, Identity, Beyond Good and Evil, Way of the World

And just for the sake of argument, I that's how they spelled "Candor" whether this is a typo, and it's supposed to refer to the lost city, which to my knowledge has always been spelled "Kandor" or whether they were referring to the actual word "candor" I don't really know. It does seem a little confusing that they would put that though (mini-rant over)

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By MrUnknown

Whichever! It's not like there are 50 of them.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mercy_

This is a complete retelling of the character, it doesn't really have any carryover from Gates' run.

That being said, it's totally worth it to buy the trades for the previous volume. It was a great run, one of my favorites.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By entropy_aegis

I prefer this,its not tainted by Jeph Loeb.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis said:

I prefer this,its not tainted by Jeph Loeb.

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NeoAndroid

Thanks alot for all your guys help :)

Does it change Kara that drastically in the Reboot like her personality being completely different and such?

Also i think i will do as you suggested and get the TPB of the Series before the reboot since so many people seemed to like it that have responded its gotta be a good lot :)

And get the Reboot afresh.

CBF_Webs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CBF_Webs

Stick with the Volume 5 series, beginning with Superman/Batman: Supergirl which reintroduced her and go into Power, continuing on from there. The entire series is 67 issues but it's the best incarnation of Supergirl ever, even including the New 52 Supergirl, which is drastically different.

fempowah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By fempowah

So is there a new supergirl comic like the other new 52 books?

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skewer

Just for extra pick up some of the superman adventures and justice league unlimited comics if you're a fan of the dcau version.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skewer

I forgot to mention supergirl and the legion of superheroes. From what I heard that its good.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

The 2005 volume is not bad but the first few issues are nothing special.The current volume is average but I'm enjoying it.And about Linda Dnevers being connected with Supergirl and that volume,I'm not a fan of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.