Supergirl Getting a Digital First Series

Posted by inferiorego (25737 posts) - - Show Bio

With CBS' Supergirl television series in full swing, many comic book fans have been wondering why Supergirl doesn't have a comic book series. That's all changed now as IGN revealed that she is getting a DC Digital First series called ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL. Sterling Gates will be writing the book with a rotating group of artists on the series including Bengal, Jonboy Meyers, Emanuela Lupacchino, and Emma Vieceli. Bengal will take on the first three chapters.

Art by Bengal
Art by Bengal

This will be a 13-chapter, bi-weekly series, which will come out the same day as the Supergirl television series: Monday. The comic will not tie into the television show and it also won't come out as a traditional comic book. It will skip that process and go right to trade, after the series is finished.

ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL comes out on January 25, 2016 and according to Amazon, will be released in trade on August 9, 2016.

Staff
#1 Posted by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

While, id Love to chime the DC copying Marvel crowds... I doubt they were doing it deliberately. It's simply smart to use digital format for a series that's still searching its footings.

#2 Posted by the_stegman (40354 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure does LOOK alot like the CBS Supergirl...

#3 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah. I think it's to help promote the series.

#4 Posted by SaintWildcard (21923 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing it's gonna be a mix between the Comics and the show. They want to be able to use all the characters as opposed to the limited toybox the TV show has.

#5 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

While, id Love to chime the DC copying Marvel crowds... I doubt they were doing it deliberately. It's simply smart to use digital format for a series that's still searching its footings.

What DC copying Marvel crowds? You were the first to bring it up. (At least here)

#6 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this can be a positive new start for Kara in comics.

#7 Posted by Leave1942 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Myerrrrr... Personally, I prefer angry, vengeful Supergirl than upbeat and positive. But really, I think I just love characters with huge chips on their shoulders.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
#8 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@the_stegman said:

Yeah. I think it's to help promote the series.

Still an infinitely better costume than the New 52 take.

#9 Posted by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

@feartheliving: Marvel copying DC copying Marvel copying DC-debate has been going for ages.

#10 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Kara's personality is more like in the one in the TV show, I'm sold on this. I already like the art and new costume. Pretty nice that they are just doing the trade right after the digital run ends.

#11 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinikettu: I get that, but in this instance it seemed unneeded as it wasn't brought up.

#12 Posted by Folly (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, even though I would have liked to see a new on-going for the currently canon comic version but well, the Digital Firsts have yet to disappoint.

#13 Edited by kilowog52 (858 posts) - - Show Bio

So this will not be part of the mainstream DCU?

#14 Posted by kidchipotle (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

In this one photo Kara is already a million times better than New 52 Kara.

#15 Posted by Rubear (4652 posts) - - Show Bio

By the way where is New 52 Kara?

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
#16 Posted by MattyDaveHalPeo (665 posts) - - Show Bio

So which continuity is this?

#17 Posted by NukeA6 (914 posts) - - Show Bio

More Sterling Supergirl? This is gonna be great.

#19 Posted by pikahyper (18456 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattydavehalpeo: @kilowog52: I don't think any of the Digital First series have been in continuity/main universe yet, they are generally in the cinematic/television or video game universes or stand alone.

#20 Posted by xsbrx (205 posts) - - Show Bio

From the costume I'm guessing this is the CBS-verse Supergirl and not the New 52 Kara.

Shame.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#21 Edited by The Impersonator (8500 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get why Supergirl has blue-colored, heat ray vision. It should be red. All Kryptonians have the same color, including Superman. It's kinda weird to have that kind of vision.

#22 Posted by Herx (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear: at the moment N52 kara is in the JLU, but as that series is coming to an end who knows where she'll be.

hopefully the popularity of the new super girl series and the sales of this digital comic may make DC start to produce a new "in continuity (whatever that means now)" series for her with her "angry/just arrived" storyline having been completed in by the end of her last series run (a storyline which i didn't mind BUT which had issues when it came to consistent story telling i.e. at the end of one storyline she's starting to acclimatise and then at the beginning got the other she's angry all over again (especially in that there red daughter of krypton storyline)). With the angry/angsty storyline of Kara coming to terms with the end of her world/family/etc... completed (or at least the elements of which people complained about coming to and end... which i didn't understand really) we can move to a series which caters to both the casual/new super girl audience growing from this show and longer term fans mixing in elements of both the upbeat attitude of the show as well as some of the more darker moments of her newer incarnations debut series. *fingers crossed*.

#23 Posted by greeneagle (280 posts) - - Show Bio

No review for the TV Shows Winter Finale?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#24 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds cool. Ill have to check this out.

#25 Posted by goonage (2085 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by YoungDoctor (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if this new UK title will print it.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#27 Posted by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a good thing that the comic doesn't tie in to the show.

Because has I see it, the show as been failing in a lot of fronts.

Some people may like the tv show, but everytime I see a episode, I only get why I don't like it.

The constant comparisons between her and Superman, when both she and him don't fall into any of the known universes. Not MoS, not the comics, nor Smallville.

The way her powers are on the same level as the DCAU version of Supergirl.

The way Melissa Benoist depicts Kara, also seems forced and inconsistent. She's at the same time goofy and clumsy, and she's brave and rash... The only difference being when she wears the suit and doesn't.

Even Cat Grant as already figured out her secret identity. And truth be told, the old glasses on glasses off shtick, would never work on real life. Her voice is exactly the same, we don't see the old voice distortion trick used on Arrow and The Flash. Her hair... With so much high tech couldn't she use has Kara a wig and as Supergirl her own hair. Even Smallville Kara in season 10, we saw her wearing a black hair wig together with the glasses.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.