Follow

Supergirl

Character » Supergirl appears in 3428 issues.

Kara Zor-El is Superman's cousin and last survivor of Krypton's Argo City. She has a brash and defiant personality that she developed in response to the destruction of Krypton. Currently, she's operating out of National City alongside the D.E.O.

Supergirl #47 Review, What Will Be Reactron's Fate?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

When the people of Kandor were saved and New Krypton was created, I wasn't too crazy about the idea.  The idea that Superman and Supergirl were the last of their people kind of made them special.  Having all these Kryptonians around changes everything.  There's also the fact that they were not all as noble as Superman.  That lead to Reactron being recruited against them and the death of Supergirl's father, Zor-El.  Now that Reactron is secretly being kept prisoner on New Krypton, what will his final fate be?

I keep hearing how people are on the fence with the Superman titles.  It's a whole new game now.  If people had issues with the titles before, they should definitely check them out now.  Supergirl was welcomed with open arms by the comic reading community.  Throughout her series, the title started losing its way a little.  Now with New Krypton, we're seeing her have to deal with different issues.  Things haven't been easy since Kryptonians were banned from Earth.  Her mom, Alura, also became a hard-ass since the death of her husband.  It makes you wonder what makes a character like Alura tick.  She spent years with Zor-El.  Zor-El was a kind man.  Has any of his softer qualities rubbed off on Alura?  Reactron better hope so.

Sterling Gates has been really changed the direction of this book.  We really get to see what Alura is all about here.  The idea of losing your significant other is not an easy thing to deal with.  Despite being a Kryptonian, we're seeing some human qualities in Alura.  While I am enjoying seeing Reactron's journey here, Supergirl seems to be getting pushed to the sidelines.  This issue really focuses more on Alura and Reactron.  Not necessarily a bad thing but it would be nice to see Kara have a bigger role.

Matt Camp's art here works.  Whether it's drawing flashback sequences of Krypton or the colder environments of New Krypton, it doesn't have that fake sci-fi drawn feel that other 'space' comics often have.  Kara and Alura do bear a striking resemblance to each other (they almost look more like sisters than mother and daughter) but Camp manages to show the emotion and pain on Alura's face.

Despite Reactron going on trial here, the story is far from over.  We do have some closure but there will be repercussions as to what happens at the end.  You'll have to check out the issue for yourself to see what Reactron's fate is.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

GASP he killed kyrptonians

Zniperking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Zniperking

I might check it out

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr. Detfink

I can't agree with you more G-man. Sterling Gates is doing a great job on Supergirl. Previously, I never gave too shits about this title till Gates took it over and the New Krypton story took over. 

This can be interpreted as a metaphor for what politicians know is the morally right thing and what is the greater good. Living in her husband's shadow is kind of like someone taking over after Abraham Lincoln, its an ideal no one can live up to.

Reminds me a lot of what's going on in NYC regarding members of the 9-11 plotters. Should they be tried in a regular court or military court...or should they even BE in NYC?

Mask of Tengu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 252

#4  Edited By Mask of Tengu

It is a great issue...I recommend it!
    mclovin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mclovin

This issue was awesome! It was one of my favorites htis month (so far) and Supergirl isn't exactly my favorite title.. The ending was kind of predictable, but nonetheless interesting and the art was solid. It's fun to see Alura's more non-logical-scientific side in this issue.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattydeNero

Alura has been one of my favorite characters in this whole New Krypton/World Without Superman/Codename: Patriot/World Against Superman.  With her demeaner and her comic book hottness, it helps that she's got the shield of the House of El on her chest.  However, Alura has done something that she will wish she hadn't.  Everything in this issue and in this series has for the most part not contained a Superman appearance.  Which may appeal to some people, not me.

The world needs more Superman reviews.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Aren't you animated for the review, G-Man?

If I didn't know that comics are often made months in advance. I could of sworn this one was created due to certain political events that have been proposed. The concept you described seems awfully similar to a "certain trail".

It's nice to see Alura not give into wrath. That vengeance is a different beast from justice, but we see that for all the grand standing. The Kryptonian race is just as base in their instincts as any other species. Their pride and greed gives way for their need for personal scores.

The idea of seeing the uptight girl falling in love is a bit cliche, but it works here for the story, I guess. It gives us a bit of understanding as to why this journey isn't easy for Alura. The fact that it was so hard for her to fall in love with someone speaks to the amount of pain she must of felt having lost it. I like the symbolism of reaching to the empty side of the bed.

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By drawme

So maybe I will pick this one up...sounds nice!

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Wow ! G-man I've never seen you looked so excited !
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By johnny_spam

Looks great I've missed so much of the New Krypton that I'll have to get it in trades. If you notice Allura seems to be based on John Bryne's Krypton and Zor-El is based on the old silver age Krypton great way to hide some history.

KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KJPPPimp

I'm of the group that never read this title until New Krypton and now this book is on my pull list every month. I loved this issue and I loved seeing what made Alura into who she is but I agree with you G-Man it could've used more Supergirl. If we could have some of this same character definition for her I might still pick this up after all the New Krypton/ World Against Superman stuff ends. It seems like every writer has a different take on her and she's always being pulled in some different direction (like Robinson's inexperienced, crush-having teenager take in Cry for Justice). Sterling Gates hasn't done me wrong yet so I trust Kara in his hands.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

This super-girl series has been good

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

Hmmm.....sounds good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.