Follow

Supergirl

Character » Supergirl appears in 3428 issues.

Kara Zor-El is Superman's cousin and last survivor of Krypton's Argo City. She has a brash and defiant personality that she developed in response to the destruction of Krypton. Currently, she's operating out of National City alongside the D.E.O.

how old is she?

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By WW-Fan

i am wondering how old she is suppost to be? if that she is suppost to be older then Superman?

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hunter114

It complicated... there are many conflicting pieces of information which don't add up: 

Suffice to say she is somewhere between 16 and 19, but if you add suspended animation, she is between 34 and 54 due to conflicting reports of Superman's age and how long she was in suspended animation for.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

A wise man once said "old enough."

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Video_Martian

She looks under 18 to me.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WW-Fan

i know she looks around 18-19 but im talking about her real age! she is suppost to be older then superman :)
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunter114

@WW-Fan: 
    Well if Kara was sixteen years old when Kal-El was born and Kal-El is currently thirty-two, Kara would be... 48. 

To be honest, I think that is the closest and best answer you're gonna get, unless they actually say it in the comic :P

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WW-Fan
    @Hunter114 said:
    "

@WW-Fan: 
    Well if Kara was sixteen years old when Kal-El was born and Kal-El is currently thirty-two, Kara would be... 38. 

To be honest, I think that is the closest and best answer you're gonna get, unless they actually say it in the comic :P

"

all right thanks! that is what i wanted to know :)
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Hunter114 said:
    "

@WW-Fan: 
    Well if Kara was sixteen years old when Kal-El was born and Kal-El is currently thirty-two, Kara would be... 38. 

"
    You mean 48  right?
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunter114
    @Nova`Prime`:
    Yeah... um... my... um... finger... um... slipped... um...
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By RedK
    @Hunter114 said:
    " @Nova`Prime`: Yeah... um... my... um... finger... um... slipped... um... "
    yea suuuurrree it did.

anyway think she's 17, counting the time in suspended animation as not aging
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Hunter114: LOL no biggie, I just had to ask I thought I might have slipped into an alternate dimension. And I would agree she is probably in the late 40s... which makes me laugh the people that always say she is a minor. Correction she is a 40+ year old woman who has what every 40+ year old woman wants... the body of a teenager.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Magian

I think in an issue of Brave and the Bold with Hal Jordan, it was stated that she was 17.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WW-Fan

in Superman/Batman: Supergirl .. she says that she is older and was suppost to take care of Superman actully :) so she is older but looks like 17 :)
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MrDirector786

I think she's about 16. Technically, she's supposed to be older than Superman, but while her ship was heading towards Earth her body went into suspended animation keeping herself as young as she was when she left Krypton.

lorettanash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lorettanash

I think she is as old as superman just that they seem to reinvent her every so often....just think in the 1940s she was a teen now she is just young again.  Come on, she ever will be really old.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Valtot

shes just under 50, sunlight suspended her aging is 1 theory as most kryptonians have shown that and when captain atom jumped 50 years in the future shes still young
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By shanana

Kara is 17 

Aww the caption is to small for you too see
     Aww the caption is to small for you too see
    IDK how old with suspended animation though
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By ReVamp
    @Sha:
    she's 18 now without counting the suspended animation. I say this because after War of the Supermen, in her own series she goes to Metropolis university, so yeah she seems to have aged since then. 

Rant

on

off

Even if she seems to be portrayed as an older girl in JLA... Its also kind of strange how she seems to be older than Superboy... I mean I understand that she was chosen to the JLA instead of superboy since  he's got all his friends in the Teen Titans. My problem is how she's in University while he is in High school, it just doesn't make sense taking into account he was 16 when he was "created" and she was 15/16 when she arrived but he was created

before

she arrived. Her partnership with grayson also seems to confuse me since her equivalent in the Bat-Family should be Stephanie Brown or Tim Drake (more stephanie since Tim has Connor) but I put that aside considering they are both in the JLA  

Rant on off  

If someone could help me understand this I would appreciate it. :S
    Sorry if this was painful to read

berfel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By berfel

The page Sha posted was from her most recent comic, #59 that hit the stands in December, and they're saying she's 17.

In which issue of her comic did she go to Metropolis University?  I don't remember that.   But then, any records of her schooling that she'd need to get her into a college would have to be faked for her by one of the Bats anyway, so her real age doesn't matter.

If you're going to include the time she spent in suspended animation in her age then she's a lot older than that since she was around 12 or 13 when Kal-El was a newborn.  That would make her closer to 40.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ReVamp
    @berfel said:
    " The page Sha posted was from her most recent comic, #59 that hit the stands in December, and they're saying she's 17.  In which issue of her comic did she go to Metropolis University?  I don't remember that.   But then, any records of her schooling that she'd need to get her into a college would have to be faked for her by one of the Bats anyway, so her real age doesn't matter.  If you're going to include the time she spent in suspended animation in her age then she's a lot older than that since she was around 12 or 13 when Kal-El was a newborn.  That would make her closer to 40.   "

True. You have a point. But if that's true then Supergirl is trying to get involved with an adult (Dick Grayson) while she's a minor. :O  
    /jk 
    But ok, I guess it makes sense.
    berfel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By berfel
    @ReVamp said:

True. You have a point. But if that's true then Supergirl is trying to get involved with an adult (Dick Grayson) while she's a minor. :O  /jk But ok, I guess it makes sense. "

Yep, that could be a big problem for Dick.  She's 17, lonely, with nothing in her life but a career. Really no family, few friends, no secret identity so she can *have* an identity, or really anyone to talk to (she needs to hang around Stephanie more), and some serious daddy issues. Superman treats her with paternal condescension, and Batman treats her with dark mistrust and the heavy hand of... well, Batman. Now a good looking, buff male, someone respected and trusted as a peer by the authority figures in her life (Superman and Batman) is treating her with respect and friendship, not just personally but also for the work she's doing.

When you don't have any other ties in your life, emotional support, or much experience with interpersonal relationships that don't include a punch to the jaw, I would imagine it would be really easy to confuse the inner glow of friendship for something more. She really has no experience with either.  Dick needs to watch his step really closely while the strains of Sting singing "Don't Stand So Close To Me" play in the background.

I had a female friend say to me after reading her interaction with Hal Jordan, "Oh God, her brain disconnected and she turned into a babbling idiot when she started crushing on him.  She's *such* a teenager!  I'm embarrassed for her, that was me."
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shanana

Lonely? debatable especially since she's been seen hanging with Steph Brown and Daimen in and out of the costume and she and Cassie are on good terms again;  Not to mention she and Jessie are good friends.

She's Linda Lang so there's her identity.

ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChadwickDavis

Supergirl is officially 18 physically. Chronologically  I can't say for certain but she would be in her late late 40's to early 50's (approx.49-51.) I am basing this on the assumption that superman is in his mid 30's  

she was "16" when she arrived on earth 
    then there was the OYL event making her "17" 
    then she was inducted into the New Krypton Science Guild on her "18"th birthday which occured on New Krypton (world of new Krypton arc)

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shanana
    @ChadwickDavis:  Scan? cause i just posted one from her latetest comic issue 59 that says she's 17
    ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ChadwickDavis
    @Sha:    
    Not at home at the moment sorry
    but it was in the superman world of new Kryton arc where she was deciding which guild she was going to choose when she turned 18...and she chose the science guild. 
    But I also read issue 59 and they did say that she was 17 now that you mention it      

@ChadwickDavis:   
    I hate lack of continuity lol 

@Sha:    

couldn't agree with you more    
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mercy_
    @ChadwickDavis said:
    " @Sha:    

but it was in the superman world of new Kryton arc where she was deciding which guild she was going to choose when she turned 18...and she chose the science guild. 
     "
    I remember that. It was her little coming of age thing. 
    Subconscious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Subconscious
    @Hunter114 said:
    " @Nova`Prime`: Yeah... um... my... um... finger... um... slipped... um... "
    and how does that make you feel?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReVamp
    @berfel said:
    "@ReVamp said:

True. You have a point. But if that's true then Supergirl is trying to get involved with an adult (Dick Grayson) while she's a minor. :O  /jk But ok, I guess it makes sense. "

Yep, that could be a big problem for Dick.  She's 17, lonely, with nothing in her life but a career. Really no family, few friends, no secret identity so she can *have* an identity, or really anyone to talk to (she needs to hang around Stephanie more), and some serious daddy issues. Superman treats her with paternal condescension, and Batman treats her with dark mistrust and the heavy hand of... well, Batman. Now a good looking, buff male, someone respected and trusted as a peer by the authority figures in her life (Superman and Batman) is treating her with respect and friendship, not just personally but also for the work she's doing.When you don't have any other ties in your life, emotional support, or much experience with interpersonal relationships that don't include a punch to the jaw, I would imagine it would be really easy to confuse the inner glow of friendship for something more. She really has no experience with either.  Dick needs to watch his step really closely while the strains of Sting singing "Don't Stand So Close To Me" play in the background.I had a female friend say to me after reading her interaction with Hal Jordan, "Oh God, her brain disconnected and she turned into a babbling idiot when she started crushing on him.  She's *such* a teenager!  I'm embarrassed for her, that was me." " 

Completley agree with you.
    @ChadwickDavis said:

"

Supergirl is officially 18 physically. Chronologically  I can't say for certain but she would be in her late late 40's to early 50's (approx.49-51.) I am basing this on the assumption that superman is in his mid 30's  

she was "16" when she arrived on earth 
    then there was the OYL event making her "17" 
    then she was inducted into the New Krypton Science Guild on her "18"th birthday which occured on New Krypton (world of new Krypton arc)

"

I knew it! She was said to be 18 at some point. Now a question, how plausible it was scan was a mistake? Because it makes no sense to retcon continuity when like that considering that she is both in an University (right?) and had the little coming of age.

@Sha:

She has few friends, not to mention that she's kind of out of the teen titans circle now. She has Robin, Batgirl, Red Robin, Jesse and maybe some others.   
    berfel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By berfel
    @Sha said:

" Lonely? debatable especially since she's been seen hanging with Steph Brown and Daimen in and out of the costume and she and Cassie are on good terms again;  Not to mention she and Jessie are good friends.  She's Linda Lang so there's her identity. "

Didn't she and Jessie just barely meet in JLA, just before everything blew up and they pulled the old "Dark Supergirl" trope out of the closet?  I get the impression she's friends with Jessie an Cassie in a Facebook sorta way.  Steph is certainly a friend, Jess is a new acquaintance that could be a friend, and as far as I can tell she never sees or talks to Cassie in her own book or elsewhere.

Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are identities because they are lives beyond the capes, Steph is Steph with Batgirl being an avocation.  So far Linda Lang hasn't been written as much of an identity, it's been more a place to hide.  She's Supergirl, sometimes she puts on glasses and a sweater so she can tour a college campus and go watch a movie with Steph in peace, or meet for lunch with Lana or Tim Drake.

Damien? They've met twice and he really seemed to irritate her.  Of course he irritates everyone.  I guess he's a friend, he finally stopped calling her "alien". For Damien that's a lot.  He hasn't told her about the ways he could kill her, beyond that I haven't seen anything that would say "friend".  Does Damien have friends?

You're so right about Steph! She should hang with her a lot more, the two adventures they've had with each other were great reads.  But even in the last one in Batgirl at the Dracula movie where he's on the screen whining about being alone and the rest of the college audience is laughing and making jokes:

Steph: "I am *so* sorry."
    Kara: "This is.. depressing."
    Steph: "My thoughts exactly.
    Kara: "*Why* are they making fun of this?"
    Steph: "Probably because they don't know what it's like to really be alone."

Later:

Kara: "Next time you start to feel "ALONE!" and don't have any criminals to hero yourself at, give me a call."
    Steph: "Next time you start to feel "ALONE!" and don't have the U.S. Military trying to blow you up and stuff, give me a call."

Misery loves company, particularly if it makes you less miserable. The final point of that issue was that they both feel lonely, and feel less so when they're together.  And the last few issue of Supergirl's own magazine were all about her finally figuring out she really does have family and that they really do care.  So maybe she's finally coming out of it a bit.

But based on the end of Supergirl Annual #2 last year it looks like future history says she dies alone (heroically, but alone.)  To me it sounds like a theme for the character.  Kind of a depressing one though.
    SuperPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are various versions of Supergirl. Let's start with the original version which first appeared in Action Comics 252 published in May 1959 but reprinted lots of times in various compilations. I think the first time Supergirl's age is ever mentioned is in Action Comics 270, November 1960. In that issue Superman throws a surprise SIXTEENTH birthday party for Supergirl. If we assume that the 18 month gap in between these two editions being published is real time then when Supergirl arrived on Earth she was about 14 years 6 months old. Based on this when Supergirl was killed in the 1985 story "Crisis On Infinite Earths" she should have been 40 or 41 years old depending on which issue she died in but I'm not sure which issue that was at the moment. Despite all the new versions of Supergirl created since then the original character would now be 74 years old turning 75 in November 2020.

As for Supergirl in the current TV series that's a different version, but we're told the following facts. She started her journey to Earth when she was 13 years old but landed in the Phantom Zone where she didn't age although she was stuck there for 24 years making her 37 when she escaped from there. When she arrived on Earth she was still 13 (37) then in the early episodes her age was given as 24 meaning it was 11 years later, so she was actually 48 years old. The Supergirl TV series is now in its fifth season, so based on this it seems she's 53.

Of course, in the comics, apart from when she had her sixteenth birthday party Supergirl doesn't really age that much at all.

Quincey_Morris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been reading her early eighties volume; she says multiple times she arrived on Earth at fifteen. This is when she was born in Argo City years after Krypton's destruction. You have to accept the sliding timeline for her to be starting college again after attending Stanhope nearly two decades earlier. I'd estimate her at twenty or slightly older when she was killed off.

Your age is determined by the year you were born, suspended animation or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.