Follow

Stormwatch

Team » Stormwatch appears in 310 issues.

Wildstorm Universe's Stormwatch was a United Nations-sponsored superhero organization controlled by the Weatherman. The New 52 DC Universe's Stormwatch is an ancient clandestine society that has been defending the Earth from the otherworldly threats for centuries.

Just when I was about to be done with the whole thing...

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Over the last howeverlong my interest in Stormwatch had waned to almost nothing. Where first I had been excited and hopeful for good work in that book, I've become bitter, and lower expectations cannot be found. And more recently, Black Panther, in AvX and in FF, has been becoming a character I can like again. With trade off of interests in place, Stormwatch was running out of second chances with me. But of course, as soon as I'm ready to write it off, I get the best issue since the two-issue fill-in.

By no means was it perfect, but it's easily above the quality of the majority of the series so far, and I'm not even entirely sure why. The painful infodump dialogue was still present (though thankfully reduced to a minimum), Midnighter and Apollo were still building a relationship that started with weird-stalkerness and must be developing almost entirely behind the scenes, and I didn't get nearly as much Hawksmoor as I deserve. Maybe it was that J'onn's tour of the team was a sort of mini-spotlight for everyone (highlighting who they are, their relationships, and their abilities), maybe it was just because I feel like this actually carries on the story of the team and not random other things, maybe because I think Harry Tanner makes for a good villain for this team, or maybe because I think the concepts that form this series that I was originally excited for seem to be getting used well. Or maybe it's because Martian Manhunter makes it all better (which makes me worry about the future actually). I even got something I had long stopped thinking I'd see, a handle on, or at least some less-vague examples of Midnighter's powers, plus, a surprisingly good excuse (I mean it's still dumb, but I'll give it to them for the effort) for the single dumbest part of a costume I've ever seen in my life, double plus, I got to see him in his coat. I wouldn't have believed it, but I have hope for this title again. BUT I NEED MORE HAWKSMOOR.

Best line goes to Midnighter.

Apollo: The chin spike...saved your life?

Midnighter: I saved my life. With the chin spike.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Saren

I'm intrigued about these other duties that J'onn said he had to see to.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Buckshot: I would much rather have Harry Tanner and the Projectionest as members of the team than bad guys, also it annoys me that fans have moaned about MM not being in JL so much he seems to be swapping teams.
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Buckshot: I would much rather have Harry Tanner and the Projectionest as members of the team than bad guys, also it annoys me that fans have moaned about MM not being in JL so much he seems to be swapping teams.

Why would you prefer them placed on the team? I personally like them as enemies because I feel a recurring enemy that's connected to the team is more compelling than random enemies every week, and the personalities of the two characters make them interesting together while their powers make them a challenge for their opponents. Also, I feel the bigger the Stormwatch team is, the less quality I'll be getting from each character. Is there something to suggest MM is joining the JL? I hadn't seen anything about that. If anything, judging from a previous issue of JL, that would be the last place he would go.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Loving Tanner as a bad guy!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Buckshot said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Buckshot: I would much rather have Harry Tanner and the Projectionest as members of the team than bad guys, also it annoys me that fans have moaned about MM not being in JL so much he seems to be swapping teams.

Why would you prefer them placed on the team? I personally like them as enemies because I feel a recurring enemy that's connected to the team is more compelling than random enemies every week, and the personalities of the two characters make them interesting together while their powers make them a challenge for their opponents. Also, I feel the bigger the Stormwatch team is, the less quality I'll be getting from each character. Is there something to suggest MM is joining the JL? I hadn't seen anything about that. If anything, judging from a previous issue of JL, that would be the last place he would go.

The way I see it the writers took the lazy way out in making Tanner the bad guy, they should have had an unused regular DC villain and developed him as the bad guy, Tanner would have been far more interesting if he was still on the team as a character that nobody else trusts, being a character whos main traits are lies and misdirection he should be someone that even the reader isn't sure if he's up to good, bad or just his own interests. The Projectionist on the other hand has been rendered pointless because any   Engineer/Eminence Of Blades/Projectionist love triangle has just lost all it's relevance with two of the characters going rogue. Also the only pepole on the team who actually do any hands on work is Apollo and Midinighter with the rest being support, so having The Projectionist on the team would free the other members to actually do things. Martian Manhunter was confirmed to be joining the Justice League at Comic-Con, so now Stormwatch has lost three members the seam very undermanned IMO 
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@Jonny_Anonymous: Valid perspective.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.