Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

The Miseducation of Ororo Munroe

• 98 results
    butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By butterflykyss

Hey boos,

Have you ever seen your favorite energy manipulating weather witch written to do the most unbelievably stupid and asinine things with her powers? Have you ever read her doing something that was grossly out of character? Have you ever read anything about her leaving you simply saying WHAT THE F*CK?? Well this is your thread where you can vent and post your favorite images of Stormbot. Those PIS/CIS/WIS moments that you wish could be burned and thrown into the pits of hell never to witness the light of day again. This is what writers SHOULD NOT do when writing storm.

PIS moment when Storm fought Valkyrie. The horse freaking needs air to fly. Remove the air from around the horse to permanently ground it. You made all those pretty tornadoes but couldnt do that?? There was no excuse for such garbage:

Here we have Aaron in the Amazing title saying there is no weather so she can't use her powers. Yet Iceman was able to freeze hell. Iceman would need moisture to be able to perform such a feat. Storm forgot she could flash freeze her opponents by reducing the temp instantly in the surrounding area? She can't make the wind blow yet they are able to breathe???

Guggenheim, a writer for the adjectiveless series who stated read Claremont stories where Storm was in space, had her point out that she needs weather to generate electrical effects. She is in space and there is no "weather" for her to utilize. I guess she thought she was useless. Did she forget she was an energy manipulator which results in the control of the weather. Did she forget she has utilzed both solar wind and lightning while in space? Did she forget she creates bioelectricity??? No B!TCH catman doesn't misunderstand your powers, you do. He actually called out some of the stuff you have manipulated in canon:

No Caption Provided

Matt Fraction, an incredibly talented Storm writer, felt the need to point out that she couldnt make it rain inside the dome during the second coming arc. 1.) Why does she need to make it rain, like seriously. And 2.) Hmmm did she forget she made a freaking monsoon in the infirmary with mastermind? She was outside in the city and she couldnt make It rain, really?

No Caption Provided

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@butterflykyss: You are so right with this.

1. Storm should have been able to beat Valkyrie. Storm knows how to use her powers and not endangering innocent people.

2. Storm should be able to use her powers because Iceman and Firestar can. Besides, she can control the temperature there too. So it's not really just weather that Storm controls.

3. There is what we call as cosmic weather. We've even seen Storm's powers amplified when using her powers in space.

4. See number 2.

5. See number 2.

Nipower888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

generally storms powers are too diverse to the point where she can easily defeat everyone but super heavy hitters so they have to constantly put limits on her or make her lightning lass. It's the same with thor and Monica Rambeau. Although Storm and Monica seem to get treated the worst. Also I have my black superheros constantly depowered theory but talking about racism and unfair treatment got me banned at cbr

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

generally storms powers are too diverse to the point where she can easily defeat everyone but super heavy hitters so they have to constantly put limits on her or make her lightning lass. It's the same with thor and Monica Rambeau. Although Storm and Monica seem to get treated the worst. Also I have my black superheros constantly depowered theory but talking about racism and unfair treatment got me banned at cbr

I remember Monica written down during Civil War. :(

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

Bendis' Storm is the worst. "scott summers blah blah". I don't like Storm trolling Cyclops(as funny as it is sometimes) . She might be upset as hell because chuck is gone but this is beyond ridiculous. This is why new readers would have such a difficult time understanding her. All she does is hate. When has Bendis written Storm to NOT let her feelings get in the way? When has he let her show off her mad skills? All she does is show up and throw lightning at everything that moves.

Next, her powers. I remember the first time I saw Storm in X-men Evolution, I believe the episode was "African Storm". I had just got home from school and turned on the tele and I saw the ending where she was all "you want my power yada yada" and I thought whoa.. This woman can spawn tornadoes!? Freakin epic!! So, after becoming bored with evo Storm I discovered X-men TAS. TAS storm was boss.. Lol. I became a big fan of the tas team (Storm, Cyc, Jean, Rogue, Jubes) and eventually,I began looking up all of them. Then I found out how Storm's powers operate. It was so confusing yet fun.. I had no idea she could manipulate solar winds or the "invisible energy patterns" of space!. Now we've got Storm, who supposedly manipulates energy to create her crazy effects, with molecular control over air and water, in hell, powerless? I get that she's got different skills that she can show off but how the hell is she powerless? This is a woman who's body generates intense electric currents that she can use to create bioelectric bolts.. Yet she's powerless? Firestar and Storm were able to breathe.. She had air molecules to push around. This is the woman who laid the smackdown on freakin DEATH after bonding with his world.. She even had a contrail of FLAMES from her head. Storm is just all over the place right now. One moment, she's repowering space stations while saying the weather isn't enough (seriously? She almost created a hurricane in the med bay of a space station), to bathing the planet in solar radiation... This is why I say I only want Storm in her solo book....

Nipower888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Storm is written down so much it doesn't bother me anymore. I've just accepted that they don't want her to be powerful.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nipower888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nipower888: Storm being written the way she is outside of her solo is the worst places for new readers who have at least some interest in her is a bad place to start....

Nipower888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: I hope it doesn't get cancel or it gets relaunched because even though it started slow it is one of the best storm portrayals in along time.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nipower888: yeah if it gets canceled, I'd just be thankful that someone finally gave her back her fire..

Nipower888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: me too. I'm happy she got a chance and was written well. I even like G. Willow Wilson portrayal of her in x-men. While that wasn't her best showing. It shows G. Willow Wilson shows a better understanding of storm than almost every writer who's written her. Plus I think her writing of the x-men will get better. I hope the all female x-men team gets relaunched with the same team and Emma frost, and Dust. Maybe take Rachael out and put her in uncanny x-men. So no storm is a bad leader conflict. Then let G. Willow write it and give the team an actual purpose instead of just random arcs.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By butterflykyss

Though I appreciate willow and like what she is doing for the most part she did give us a CIS moment in her first issue. How does storm not know how much hydrogen is present when in the same issue she was able to isolate the oxygen molecules to smother the storm cell:

No Caption Provided

And though I like what Pak has done for Storm by injecting the much needed life and vigor into the character, we did have a horrible moment from him where storm was reduced to being a crazy girl instead of young woman who was perceived to be a goddess because of the power she possessed:

No Caption Provided
    butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe:

Hey Mal. I don't read anything by bendis with her in it every sense the whole avengers stint. But what u described sounds horrible. If you have scams please post.

@nipower888: I know writers have to write her down but do so in a way that makes sense and is consistent to canonical showings. I agree though if not for her solo we would be getting all types of bad and inaccurate showings. I really appreciate Pak and Ketchum making this a reality. Even if it may end soon what we have gotten has done wond errs for the character.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By Teerack

100% of comic book character have inconsistent powers. Welcome to comics.

Tonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like when she attacked Magneto with lightning in one of the more recent issues. It's like the writer wanted her to lose. You would think that Storm would've learned her lesson the 1st time they fought.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: agreed but this about Storm. Not sure what your point is.

@tonix: could you please post scan if you and when you the chance? Was it recently when this happened I'm the no more humans story?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: agreed but this about Storm. Not sure what your point is.

It's pretty clear what my point is. It doesn't actually matter what YOU think the right way her powers work are because they will always just change to be exactly what marvel NEEDS them to be for the story. The only time the technical aspect of her(or anyones) powers matters is when random people on the internet want to theorycraft about who would win a fight which is all pretty irrelevant.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By butterflykyss

@teerack:

*sigh* so it continues.

No it was not clear hence why i responded to you in the manner in which i did. That said, you are definitely right. It doesn't matter what I think in regards to how her powers should work. What matters is historically what has been said in respect to the functionality of her powers before newer writers have come in and deviated from that.

So again not sure what the point is of stating the obvious about other characters. This is about storm and her inconsistent showings. All else is moot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba149167b2c0
    deactivated-5ba149167b2c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree that Valkyrie knocking out storm easily was BS. Also Storm being hurt by Thor's lightning is BS too.

They at least made an effort to explain the Thor instance by saying that the lightning he summons was "not of this earth" and was Asgardian in origin. Still BS nonetheless.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teerack
    @butterflykyss said:

@teerack:

*sigh* so it continues.

No it was not clear hence why i responded to you in the manner in which i did. That said, you are definitely right. It doesn't matter what I think in regards to how her powers should work. What matters is historically what has been said in respect to the functionality of her powers before newer writers have come in and deviated from that.

So again not sure what the point is of stating the obvious about other characters. This is about storm and her inconsistent showings. All else is moot.

Okay so either you're just choosing to not get what I'm saying or you just aren't...

You understand how retconning works? Comics can just establish NEW facts, so the older stuff becomes irrelevant. Which is why i pointed out that CORE comic book concept to point out that trying to say her powers work one specific way is in itself pointless and moot.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By butterflykyss

@deathbyants: hi there!! Storm was recently announced as being immune to lightning in her ongoing series. Before this it was definitely unclear why she was not.

oh could you post scans to that if you have it. I think.it would a nice addition to this thread :)

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I know what retconning is. But before I go into further answering your question, does Storm need weather to utilize her powers or no?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Considering the scale Storms powers have at times been pushed to, I dont consider it that odd that writers vary in what she can do from writer to writer... otherwise you might as well just have her snap her fingers and end the story right there, since the cance is that she at one time or another has faced something similar to the foe in front of her and had the weather make a counter.

That said, it's pointless to complain about something like this because it happens to everyone. Even if he's young in his New 52 guise, Captain Atom has been portrayed as nearly omnipotent, yet he got taken out by Firestorm and an explosion, while later on he is subdued with telepathy pretty easilly.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By butterflykyss

@outside_85: again.. this is not about other characters in other dimensions and what have you.

Nor is it complaining. This is informational to dispel all the confusion when it comes to how her powers work and also how, she is portrayed in terms of attitude poise and demeanor

Storm is a very strong character, so are superman and Thanos and others that reach beyond what she can do. However, there a ways a writer can get around her strength and make it still follow how her powers have always been described as functioning. It would be like saying Superman couldn't fly because the sun wasn't out or something ridiculous like that.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonix said:

I didn't like when she attacked Magneto with lightning in one of the more recent issues. It's like the writer wanted her to lose. You would think that Storm would've learned her lesson the 1st time they fought.

OMG! So true.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By butterflykyss

@teerack: ok as I expected.

Retconning is the idea of reversing historical facts about a character and wiping the slate clean. If what you are trying to insinuate in terms of Storm were true she should never be able to use her powers in any environment that was void of an atmosphere or weather. Weather doesn't occur in rooms, or underground or in space. Lightning should never be able to be generated from her body nor should she be able to create wind if there is no weather. For you argument to hold any weight all of what I have said must be true in all her showings after these rectcons mentioned. However that is not the case. Just look to her ongoing for proof of what she can do when she, is not being restricted by being on a team.

All in all, your stance is not a correct one and it is not applicable I'm regards to Storm.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: Well prior it has been said that she has been able to channel the elements without the slightest of harm.

No Caption Provided
    • Here she fights against the Living Lightning and he can do no damage to her
    No Caption Provided
    • Yet Thor's "Asgardian" lightning damages her
    No Caption Provided

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: As you excepted? Well i guess if you expected me to lose interest lol.

You can rationalize you inability to accept reality anyway you want i'm not really interested in helping you reassure yourself that your way of thinking is right.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By butterflykyss

@teerack: No that's is far from what I meant. Aside from you clear lack of knowledge of the character, it is pretty clear from your initial post your intent was to be critical and contrary to the point of this thread for the sake of it. And that's ok but to think I need or would want any validation from you on how I think is laughable. Thanks for your input though :D

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathbyants: thank you for posting this. I think from the first image she had a spinal injury which explained why she couldn't channel the lightning. I could be wrong with that though. Also I recall that Thor fight. Yea his lightning shouldn't have hurt her - but it's ok the idea she can be hurt by lightning has been retconned lol

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: No that's is far from what I meant. Aside from you clear lack of knowledge of the character, it is pretty clear from your initial post your intent was to be critical and contrary to the point of this thread for the sake of it. And that's ok but to think I need or would want any validation from you on how I think is laughable. Thanks for your input though :D

I love that you can't even resist the urge to bring up that you know more about Storm then me even though it just completely proves me right. xD

Let me just say I don't think i know more about Storm then you, I would hope you know more about Storm then me. Like I said you're just looking to reassure your own point of views. More then anything the fact you don't seem to see how irrelevant my level of knowledge on Storm is to what I was actually saying means one of two thing. You are one of those people who rationalized things in their head so you believe you're always right in which case you're just choosing to not get what i was saying, or you actually just read a very limited amount of comics outside of x-men and don't understand what i was saying.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathbyants: I'm so happy to see you here. Well, I'm a Squirrel Girl fan too. Still waiting for my copy of Squirrel Girl's first ongoing solo. :)

I have to agree that Valkyrie knocking out storm easily was BS. Also Storm being hurt by Thor's lightning is BS too.

They at least made an effort to explain the Thor instance by saying that the lightning he summons was "not of this earth" and was Asgardian in origin. Still BS nonetheless.

True.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Thx, I loved Squirrel Girls's first issue, its really fun to read.

@butterflykyss: np, I'm so glad they retconned that nonsense too. lol.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Where did I say I knew more about Storm than you?

You said:

"Comics can just establish NEW facts, so the older stuff becomes irrelevant."

Your statement insinuates that her inconsistent showings are due to retconning; that my attitudes, reflect feelings of old and outdated showings. Why bring this up if this was not your point.

I then asked you to explain your knowledge of how her powers work but you gave an excuse of no longer having interest in the topic (yet here we are still talking about this).

I can admit when I'm wrong, and contrary to what you may believe I know what retconning is and demonstrated how what you asserted is flawed and incorrect. Again, if what you were implying were true we wouldn't be seeing things in her current ongoing that is consistent with previous descriptions of how her powers work.

So be clear on this point, your statements to me indicate your knowledge and lack thereof on storm and her mythos. I didn't know what you knew or didn't nor have I said it definitively; however, the fact you could not answer a simple question on whether she needs weather or not to use her powers demonstrated your knowledge.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@outside_85: again.. this is not about other characters in other dimensions and what have you.

It was an example of the same problem Storm has acquired, the same problem Jean Grey acquired; if the character is near all-powerful, there is nothing to do but to write them as less powerful than others have portrayed them, otherwise nothing will ever be a threat or challenge to them or they just completely invalidate the other members of their respective teams.

How are you going to challenge her with any oxygen dependent lifeform when she at her fullest could just suck the air out their lungs and blood? What do you threaten her with when she can manipulate the weather of the entire solar system?

Being overpowered gives you the bad end of the stick when it comes to accurate portrayal.

(Side note to the Storm vs Thor scan, it's just the same logic that makes people pick Thor when faced with Superman; Magic Lightning>Normal Lightning)

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By butterflykyss

@outside_85:

1.) Storm is still human. Someone could stab her and she could die as a result of that. Storm is usually measured in her power usage. Pak does a wonderful job in her ongoing demonstrating the vast amount of power she has but being thoughtful and not using it to not do unnecessary damage. Other writers could take similar approaches in writing her.

2.) Again,Storm is measured in her use of powers. She has only willfully taken the breathe of opponents and in both scenarios the situation was dire. She generally isn't using her powers in a bloodlusted fashion because she values life and she understands how catastrophic her powers could be if used irresponsibly. This can be shown without saying she needs weather for her powers to work.

3) I don't agree magic lightning is greater than normal. They have different properties but I don't think one could conclude one is greater than the other

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathbyants: hey are reading the storm solo? If not you should it's really good!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: Yah, and I am really enjoying it! The only thing I wish is that if they are going to give Storm a romantic interest that she would be allowed to keep it. Rather it be Logan, T'Challa or anyone else

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: Yah, and I am really enjoying it! The only thing I wish is that if they are going to give Storm a romantic interest that she would be allowed to keep it. Rather it be Logan, T'Challa or anyone else

I'm a RoLo fan (Storm/Wolverine pairing) so it really broke my heart when Wolverine died. But I hope he returns immediately.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping this thread would make me laugh...

But yeah,I think we should just accept the things we can't change. No point in complaining... Although complaining does help let off steam.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@outside_85: she can't manipulate the weather of the entire solar system (thank god) she has to physically be some place in order to bond, understand and then manipulate.

Speaking of which, is her bonding time instantaneous? Or does it take time?

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Storm Calling

@butterflykyss said:

@outside_85:

1.) Storm is still human. Someone could stab her and she could die as a result of that. Storm is usually measured in her power usage. Pak does a wonderful job in her ongoing demonstrating the vast amount of power she has but being thoughtful and not using it to not do unnecessary damage. Other writers could take similar approaches in writing her.

2.) Again,Storm is measured in her use of powers. She has only willfully taken the breathe of opponents and in bot scenarios the situation was dire. She generally isn't using her powers in a, bloodlusted fashion because she values life and she understands how catastrophic her powers could be if used irresponsibly. This can be shown without saying she needs weather for her powers to work.

3) I don't agree magic lightning is greater than normal. They have different properties but I don't think one could conclude one is greater than the other

Beautifully stated, Kyss! If some of the posters here actually knew Storm the way many of her fans do, then they would realize that she isn't unstoppable, irrespective to how powerful they think she can be. Pak showcases this beautifully in his Storm series. For all her powers, she is still human and very considerate of others and the repercussions that her choices could lead to.

Many writers have written compelling stories with Storm as the star while taking into consideration the majority she has been shown capable of achieving in the past. It all leads back to understanding the character and its weaknesses, which clearly most of the current crop of writers don't...

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@storm_calling: nicely said SC. If you look at the woman behind the power, you need only spike her drink for her to NOT be a problem.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@storm_calling: agreed SC and thank you!

Ru on fb with the clapping thunder thighs?

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Storm Calling

@butterflykyss said:

@storm_calling: agreed SC and thank you!

Ru on fb with the clapping thunder thighs?

Yep, I'm WG. lol

Oh, and nice thread. I'll see if I can find something to contribute in a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.