Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10181 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

Storm can control the five elements?

• 49 results
    andersonhoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Storm saw in # 11 that it can cause earthquakes and bumps, it really can control the five elements?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

andersonhoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say posts like these are why I don't post here as often anymore...

:(

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm saw in # 11 that it can cause earthquakes and bumps, it really can control the five elements?

She can't actually. In Storm #11 she didn't directly control the earth, but used her powers creatively to effect the earth (it was an indirect byproduct).

Within the scope of her own power to manipulate the elemental forces that pattern the weather she manipulated the earth's magnetic field, and as a byproduct of that manipulating the field opened up the earth and drew up magma (similar to how Magneto created a volcano through his magnetic powers back in classic uncanny).

Though they have quite a few overlapping similarities Storm's power are quite different from say Crystal, who has direct control over the 4 classical elements which includes the physical earth. She can directly manipulate the earth, or tectonic plates to create earthquakes, control lava (well at least Crystal can between the two), and whole slew of other application with earth manipulation (effect gravity, create earth golems, seismic energy beams, etc.). Not as a byproduct of manipulating another element to cause these effects like Storm did.

Storm has direct control over a number of other elemental forces (air, water, temperature, atmospheric pressure, electrical and EM energy, potential energy, etc.), but we have not seen her directly control earth or fire (and some other related elemental forces like gravity).

Lol

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@andersonhoran said:

She can't actually. In Storm #11 she didn't directly control the earth, but used her powers creatively to effect the earth (it was an indirect byproduct).

Within the scope of her own power to manipulate the elemental forces that pattern the weather she manipulated the earth's magnetic field, and as a byproduct of that manipulating the field opened up the earth and drew up magma (similar to how Magneto created a volcano through his magnetic powers back in classic uncanny).

Though they have quite a few overlapping similarities Storm's power are quite different from say Crystal, who has direct control over the 4 classical elements which includes the physical earth. She can directly manipulate the earth, or tectonic plates to create earthquakes, control lava (well at least Crystal can between the two), and whole slew of other application with earth manipulation (effect gravity, create earth golems, seismic energy beams, etc.). Not as a byproduct of manipulating another element to cause these effects like Storm did.

Storm has direct control over a number of other elemental forces (air, water, temperature, atmospheric pressure, electrical and EM energy, potential energy, etc.), but we have not seen her directly control earth or fire (and some other related elemental forces like gravity).

@butterflykyss said:

Lol

Storm is teh maker of the univerze bruh! She controls all down to below the subatomic level. She can make rain turn into strawberry soda and lightning turn into cool whip... how you ask? Because she is--STORM.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: .....I'm sure that even YOU can understand the concept of shade..

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: .....I'm sure that even YOU can understand the concept of shade..

I want Storm to be a reality warper. :)

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stormcell

@thunderbolt30 said:
    @andersonhoran said:

@butterflykyss said:

Lol

Loved your post! Just a few things I'm a little fuzzy on, though:

1) When did Magneto create a volcano with his powers? I know in Uncanny 150 he built a machine that controlled the Earth's crust to blackmail the leaders of the world. I know that he used this machine to create a volcano. I don't ever recall him making a volcano with his own powers, though. This is a feat Storm has over Magneto, from what I can recall, unless Magneto builds a machine to imitate what Storm can do with her natural powers. ;) That said, I know that Joseph (and possibly Magneto) have been able to open small fisures in the earth immediately beneath him (possibly them) on the merits of their own power, but I don't recall either of them bringing lava out of the earth. You could be right, though. I may be mistaken in this.

2) I don't recall Crystal ever controlling lava. I know Meggan did so on at least one occassion, however. I used to keep up with Crystal and Meggan since both are elementals. I lost interest after a while since Storm spoiled me with her awesome feats! LOL! If I am wrong and Crystal did control lava, can you let me know where? I know that Crystal once swam in a lava pool. She was able to survive by absorbing the heat into her body from the lava. When she reached her limit as to the amount of heat she could handle, she had to exit the lava pool immediately. I don't know if this is the instance you are referring to, but I don't recall Crystal controlling lava here.

To add to what you said to the Storm/Crystal comparison, I'd like to say (for those who are curious) that Crystal's powers deals more with controlling the physical composition of the elements on a molecular level. (Given this, I don't know how they squeezed in some of the rare feats she has with her powers as they should not fit in Crystal's powerset, but oh well. LOL!) So, she can control the rocks and metals that compose the earth on a molecular level, she can control air by moving its individual molecules, she can control the surface tension of bodies of water by manipulating water molecules, etc. On top of that, Crystal has minor control over elemental energy. Storm, on the other hand, is a much more powerful energy manipulator than Crystal. While Storm can control the physical composition of the elements down to the atomic and sub-atomic level (though Storm does not have many feats here, the few she has are actually more impressive than Crystal ie. destroying a Herald of Galactus, manifesting clothing out of thin air, etc), she usually opts to control the energy behind the weather.

One more thing I would like to know what you and others think about is what Storm said in "Storm" #4. Here, Storm mentioned how she could set the Earth's atmosphere ablaze. Now, while we have not seen her have direct control over fire, this statement seems to imply that she can. I'm not saying anything definite on the Storm/fire manipuation thing, but just wanted to bring this up into the discussion. What do you guys think about what she said in issue 4?

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy ..

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thread title didn't say "direct" control so the answer should still be yes

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that you know nothing about her powers, i'm hardly surprised.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: Thanks :-). On your points:

1) When did Magneto create a volcano with his powers? I know in Uncanny 150 he built a machine that controlled the Earth's crust to blackmail the leaders of the world. I know that he used this machine to create a volcano. I don't ever recall him making a volcano with his own powers, though. This is a feat Storm has over Magneto, from what I can recall, unless Magneto builds a machine to imitate what Storm can do with her natural powers. ;) That said, I know that Joseph (and possibly Magneto) have been able to open small fisures in the earth immediately beneath him (possibly them) on the merits of their own power, but I don't recall either of them bringing lava out of the earth. You could be right, though. I may be mistaken in this.

Well if he used a machine to manipulate the earth's crust and did not factor in his powers then I was wrong with this example. I haven't read the issue in years so I could be recalling it incorrectly. I thought he channeled his magnetic powers through the tech to create the volcano. If not then yeah :-) this is another feat she has over Magneto. Though if Storm can do this with the earths magnetic field then undoubtedly so could Magneto. He is the most skilled EM/M field manipulator in Marvel IMHO.

2) I don't recall Crystal ever controlling lava. I know Meggan did so on at least one occassion, however. I used to keep up with Crystal and Meggan since both are elementals. I lost interest after a while since Storm spoiled me with her awesome feats! LOL! If I am wrong and Crystal did control lava, can you let me know where? I know that Crystal once swam in a lava pool. She was able to survive by absorbing the heat into her body from the lava. When she reached her limit as to the amount of heat she could handle, she had to exit the lava pool immediately. I don't know if this is the instance you are referring to, but I don't recall Crystal controlling lava here.

She controlled lava on several occasions:

- In the instance you mentioned there is a clarification. This was an issue of classic FF. Crystal didn't absorb the heat of the lava. She could only survive being in the lava by rejecting the heat. She had to manipulate the lava in order to move through it.

- In Jenkin's Inhumans run Crystal lifted Attilan on a bed of earth while simultaneously quelling/calming the lava below it

- In an issue of Avengers Unplugged (can't recall the issue no. at the moment) she was fighting Volcana and was able to easily redirect the lava ball that Volcana shot at her, noting that she did it through her control over earth and fire

My old laptop w/ all of my scans is currently unavailable to me but you can see the scans 1st & 3rd example I am mentioning in the battle thread below that I debated in a few years back.

Crystal Vs Ultimate Storm

To add to what you said to the Storm/Crystal comparison, I'd like to say (for those who are curious) that Crystal's powers deals more with controlling the physical composition of the elements on a molecular level. (Given this, I don't know how they squeezed in some of the rare feats she has with her powers as they should not fit in Crystal's powerset, but oh well. LOL!) So, she can control the rocks and metals that compose the earth on a molecular level, she can control air by moving its individual molecules, she can control the surface tension of bodies of water by manipulating water molecules, etc. On top of that, Crystal has minor control over elemental energy. Storm, on the other hand, is a much more powerful energy manipulator than Crystal. While Storm can control the physical composition of the elements down to the atomic and sub-atomic level (though Storm does not have many feats here, the few she has are actually more impressive than Crystal ie. destroying a Herald of Galactus, manifesting clothing out of thin air, etc), she usually opts to control the energy behind the weather.

Agreed.

One more thing I would like to know what you and others think about is what Storm said in "Storm" #4. Here, Storm mentioned how she could set the Earth's atmosphere ablaze. Now, while we have not seen her have direct control over fire, this statement seems to imply that she can. I'm not saying anything definite on the Storm/fire manipuation thing, but just wanted to bring this up into the discussion. What do you guys think about what she said in issue 4?

I don't think that statement implies control over fire. Storm can manipulate air molecules, producing heat to make Beast sweat in Storm #1 and then bursting the atmosphere with that heatwave explosion in Wood's X-Men run. Even resulting fires being created. I think Storm can create fire with her powers (agitating air molecules, lightning) but she can't control them once the fire is in existence like Crystal, HT, or Pyro.

Please find any instance in canon of Storm controlling earth then we then answer would be yes. For now you should just enjoy and appreciate Pak's impressive creativity with Storm's powers. To not only open the planet's magnetic fields but also manipulating it to open up the physical earth and draw up lava.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stormcell

@thunderbolt30 said:

@stormcell: Thanks :-). On your points:

Well if he used a machine to manipulate the earth's crust and did not factor in his powers then I was wrong with this example. I haven't read the issue in years so I could be recalling it incorrectly. I thought he channeled his magnetic powers through the tech to create the volcano. If not then yeah :-) this is another feat she has over Magneto. Though if Storm can do this with the earths magnetic field then undoubtedly so could Magneto. He is the most skilled EM/M field manipulator in Marvel IMHO.

She controlled lava on several occasions:

- In the instance you mentioned there is a clarification. This was an issue of classic FF. Crystal didn't absorb the heat of the lava. She could only survive being in the lava by rejecting the heat. She had to manipulate the lava in order to move through it.

- In Jenkin's Inhumans run Crystal lifted Attilan on a bed of earth while simultaneously quelling/calming the lava below it

- In an issue of Avengers Unplugged (can't recall the issue no. at the moment) she was fighting Volcana and was able to easily redirect the lava ball that Volcana shot at her, noting that she did it through her control over earth and fire

My old laptop w/ all of my scans is currently unavailable to me but you can see the scans 1st & 3rd example I am mentioning in the battle thread below that I debated in a few years back.

Crystal Vs Ultimate Storm

Agreed.

I don't think that statement implies control over fire. Storm can manipulate air molecules, producing heat to make Beast sweat in Storm #1 and then bursting the atmosphere with that heatwave explosion in Wood's X-Men run. Even resulting fires being created. I think Storm can create fire with her powers (agitating air molecules, lightning) but she can't control them once the fire is in existence like Crystal, HT, or Pyro.

@jhazzroucher said:

Please find any instance in canon of Storm controlling earth then we then answer would be yes. For now you should just enjoy and appreciate Pak's impressive creativity with Storm's powers. To not only open the planet's magnetic fields but also manipulating it to open up the physical earth and draw up lava.

Thanks for clarifying! That said, if it ever comes down to a Storm vs. Magneto debate where I am pitted against a Magneto fan, Storm can pull lava from the Earth and Magneto cannot until somebody can provide a scan of it. I will argue that Storm is vastly more powerful than he thus would be able to accomplish some things he cannot. I play hardball in "Storm vs." debates because other fanbases are not fair to Storm and even try and deny her feats she has accomplished in canon. Therefore, I'm not giving Magneto this just because Storm has it.

That said, I'm not sure Magneto is a more skilled EM manipulator than Ororo. I'm not ready to go that far at this point. Thing is, Storm usually employs her control over EM energies in a different way from how Magneto does it. While Magneto uses EM energies to control metal, fly and erect force-fields, Storm uses those energies in concert with other forces Magneto does not control to control the weather. Technically, her powers should include what he can do, but his powers should not include most of what she can do.

In issue 4 of Storm, I was thinking maybe what Storm was talking about was an oxygen combustion trick similar to what Crystal does. Crystal can create fire via combusting the oxygen in the air and I was thinking that maybe Storm was saying she could do the same thing. I don't know, your explanation with her agitating air molecules is probably the same thing.

Thanks for bringing clarifying the lava pool instancewith Crystal. You are right, her body merely rejected the heat for a few minutes before it overwhelmed her. However, are you certain that she was actually controlling the lava in that instance to move through it rather than merely swimming through it as if she were swimming through a body of water? The issue was unclear here. I know that lava guy that grabbed her was swimming through the lava.

In the instance where she lifted Attilan on a bed of rock, I think she used her control over air to cool the lava. I don't think she controlled the lava itself there. It has been ages since I've read the story, so I freely admit that you could be right here as well.

Via the Crystal vs. Volcana thing, I never knew they fought. Thanks for letting me know and providing a link to the scan! Crying taking control of Volcana's lava blasts clearly shows that she can control lava.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: i do. I knew Storm can create earthquakes and only a few believed the idea until Storm #11 came.

Besides, ive been on this site longer than you and have more posts too. Hahaha. Joke! :)

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm is a better Christ than Jesus.

/Thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can Storm control the five elements? Pssh, Storm is a goddess; she can do whatever the hell she wants.

No Caption Provided

/thread

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: I'm 100% positive Crystal didn't use her air control to cool the lava. She controlled it directly. As for Storm #4 it's kind of the same but probably done a little differently. It's why I miss Claremont's descriptive breakdowns of the power application on panel :-P. Pak's description is the closest we have on panel to understanding how Storm does it (with Wood's instance being the most impressive in regards to her use of heat).

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing that has always stayed on my mind is the statement about Storm's power in Uncanny 147 that Storm can control all of the Earth's myriad elemental forces. Part of me thinks that what may have restricted her elemental powers to the sky (at first) could have been her claustrophia experience as a child. She longed for the sky and eventually that is how her powers developed. I think she has natural blocks in her mind that have kept most of her power at sealed away, however, over time, those powers become more manifest. Anyway, I would LOVE for a writer to take this route in canon and prove my theory right! :) Uncanny 147 states that she can bend every elemental force to her will and we have seen glimpses of this on occassion (we have seen her create earthquakes on at least two different occassions now, we have seen her control lava, she has control of the EM field and EM forces, heat, wind, pressure gradients, electricity, etc.)

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm willing to argue fire is within her capabilities. Simply because she's got molecular control over air. But why would she need fire? The heat from a single bolt puts fire to shame. Imagine her fighting Pyro and telling him just how hot lightning is and she'd go "so.. Mines bigger than yours!"

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Not only just fire I know she is able to create plasma I remember her focusing raw energy in her fist.

@stormcell:You have scans of the earthquake feat?

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no scans, but I know it happened during Christopher Priest's run on "Black Panther" when Storm guest-starred for two issues. She also opens the ground and pulls lava out of the earth in "Storm" #11.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/0/4762/1104742-thatearthquarkthing23qh.jpg stormphoenix: I can't post scans but I believe that was when she created an earthquake via winds. Copt and paste the link in your browser.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm can control air. She can create wind, hurricane, tornado, etc. Storm can also separate the elements (lyk separating oxygen) in the periodic table. She can turn air into water, snow and ice.

Storm can create and control water. She does not need to use air to control/move water but maybe not fully since we still see her using wind to control water or it's just easier for her to use wind to control water.

Storm can create and control fire as she knows what elements to combine to make fire and make a path where the fire will go. So she's controlling the elements that makes fire to control fire. She can also create blinding lights. Storm can elso create and control electricity and lightning.

Storm cannot control earth but she can use her air control to control earth. Storm can create earthquakes.

If the fifth element is empathy then yes Storm also has it.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm does NOT turn air into water. Storm dies NOT turn air into ice. Storm does NOT turn air into snow. There are things called water droplets in the atmosphere, which she can change the state of at will. What's next? She can turn men into chocolate bars? My god..

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Thanks I saw it pretty cool and that's the effect of her powers she caused a earthquake to happen?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we don't :-)...welcome back Rjbysti/Rlaamjr.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: why would he? It doesn't snow crack where he lives.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm can liquefy air as well as solidify it.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ only proves my point.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

^ only proves my point.

Lol agreed.

Storm can liquefy air as well as solidify it.

Now you're just pressed and trolling....

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jhazzroucher
    butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't storm control or at least block fire when Ilie (think this how she spells it) accidentally projected fire towards Storm when Storm went to help her against the villagers in africa?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i also think Storm used fire when trying to save BP from Death.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By butterflykyss

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.