Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

Is Ororo Munroe aka Storm an A-List Character?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@jhazzroucher said:

Oh come on. Other comic readers also buy their favorites like 2 or more copies.

The only reason I'm going to get 6 because I want 2 copies for each variant cover.

And buying more would mean keeping her ongoing alive. it's not cheating.

I don't. I only buy two issues of a Daredevil or Ms.Marvel or whoever comic if I get variants. As a fan you should want favorite character to stand on their own and pull in great sales because people love the character just as much as you do.

There are variants for Storm #1

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, she isn't.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

No, she isn't.

May I know the reason why?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Some people online on another comic site told me that Storm is not an A-List character because she doesn't have her own ongoing. Is it really a requirement for a comic character to have his/her own ongoing comics to become an A-List character?

Now, I don't think you have to have your own comic. Dr. Doom doesn't have his own Comic and I think Storm actually had her own comic for a little while.

Being A- List is really about how well non hardcore comic book fan knows & cares about you. If you don't know who Superman, Batman, Ironman(Recently A-List due to the movies), Spiderman, and the Hulk is. Then you must live is some small far east country, where people don't watch tv or movies.

Having your you own ongoing comic almost now days means dip squat. Does Lex Luthor or Darkseid have their own ongoing series? There are plenty of well known A listers without their own series. Just has there are plenty of B & C listers with their own comic book. Luther Strode has his own comic, but in the big picture. He is what? A

D Lister in terms of popularity & being well known? Hell maybe a F lister?

Storm is a B lister, but it's not due to the lack of a solo comic, tv show, or movie. It's because that's where she ranks among popularity & interest outside of zany hardcore comics guys & gals. Being a B-Liseter is nothing to sneeze at by the way. Gambit is a B lister and he is about to get his own Spinoff movie. Iron Man was a B list hero before getting his own movie, you could make the same argument for Thor.

I mean come on the Guardians of the Galaxy? D listers have now gotten their own film. If Storm could get her own movie, or Tv show. I believe she could come into the ranks of A listers.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

Some people online on another comic site told me that Storm is not an A-List character because she doesn't have her own ongoing. Is it really a requirement for a comic character to have his/her own ongoing comics to become an A-List character?

Now, I don't think you have to have your own comic. Dr. Doom doesn't have his own Comic and I think Storm actually had her own comic for a little while.

Being A- List is really about how well non hardcore comic book fan knows & cares about you. If you don't know who Superman, Batman, Ironman(Recently A-List due to the movies), Spiderman, and the Hulk is. Then you must live is some small far east country, where people don't watch tv or movies.

Having your you own ongoing comic almost now days means dip squat. Does Lex Luthor or Darkseid have their own ongoing series? There are plenty of well known A listers without their own series. Just has there are plenty of B & C listers with their own comic book. Luther Strode has his own comic, but in the big picture. He is what? A

D Lister in terms of popularity & being well known? Hell maybe a F lister?

Storm is a B lister, but it's not due to the lack of a solo comic, tv show, or movie. It's because that's where she ranks among popularity & interest outside of zany hardcore comics guys & gals. Being a B-Liseter is nothing to sneeze at by the way. Gambit is a B lister and he is about to get his own Spinoff movie. Iron Man was a B list hero before getting his own movie, you could make the same argument for Thor.

I mean come on the Guardians of the Galaxy? D listers have now gotten their own film. If Storm could get her own movie, or Tv show. I believe she could come into the ranks of A listers.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. :)

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Welcome, I think Storm is just a few steps away from being an A lister. It's certainly not going to be Halle Berry that helps put storm on the A list. Fox is going to recast, like they are doing with Gambit.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@jhazzroucher: Welcome, I think Storm is just a few steps away from being an A lister. It's certainly not going to be Halle Berry that helps put storm on the A list. Fox is going to recast, like they are doing with Gambit.

I think Storm will one day have her own movie. After Gambit, I think.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2208  Edited By mickey-mouse

@jhazzroucher: I hope so, but they are going to have to dump Halle Berry. She is pretty terrible as Storm.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@jhazzroucher: I hope so, but they are going to have to dump Halle Berry. She is pretty terrible as Storm.

No she's not. She's just given a minor role and she has a short hair.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Uhh no she has a terrible accent and she had long hair in the other X-Men movies. She had a decent number of speaking lines. Had she been better with the part, maybe people would want to see her role expanded.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@jhazzroucher: Uhh no she has a terrible accent and she had long hair in the other X-Men movies. She had a decent number of speaking lines. Had she been better with the part, maybe people would want to see her role expanded.

It's not her fault. But perhaps if she continued to wear the long white hair, she would have stood out more than the rest of the x-men except Wolverine.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@lukehero said:

It's not her fault. But perhaps if she continued to wear the long white hair, she would have stood out more than the rest of the x-men except Wolverine.

i don't think so. the long white wig looked terrible on Halle - halle always looks much better with short hair. always.

The choice of Wolverine as star was a simple one... he's tough, he's got "cool" claws, and he was being played by a man already on the path to hollywood heartthrob status. Throw in Bryan Singer's fanboi-like crush on Wolverine, and probable crush no Hugh... it was a foregone conclusion.

Storm was the only other x-man to get decent screen time, aside from Wolverine. Iceman and Rogue got some time to shine in two and some time to whine in three... but really... everyone was a distant background decoration to wolverine. Only Charles and Erik ever had a shot, and Mystique - coz everyone loves a chick spy... throw in a naked blue chick...

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2213  Edited By jhazzroucher

@devilsgrin81 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@lukehero said:

i don't think so. the long white wig looked terrible on Halle - halle always looks much better with short hair. always.

The choice of Wolverine as star was a simple one... he's tough, he's got "cool" claws, and he was being played by a man already on the path to hollywood heartthrob status. Throw in Bryan Singer's fanboi-like crush on Wolverine, and probable crush no Hugh... it was a foregone conclusion.

Storm was the only other x-man to get decent screen time, aside from Wolverine. Iceman and Rogue got some time to shine in two and some time to whine in three... but really... everyone was a distant background decoration to wolverine. Only Charles and Erik ever had a shot, and Mystique - coz everyone loves a chick spy... throw in a naked blue chick...

For the x-men days of future past, of course the key characters are Wolverine, the young Prof X, young Magneto and Mystique. Then Beast is next, then Quicksilver, then old Prof X and old Magneto, then Shadowcat, then Blink, then Iceman, then Storm.

What do you think?

Halle looks good with short hair but doesn't fit as Storm. When she had the long white hair on the first movie, I was thinking like I'm really seeing a real Storm, that she's for real.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilsgrin81 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@lukehero said:

For the x-men days of future past, of course the key characters are Wolverine, the young Prof X, young Magneto and Mystique. Then Beast is next, then Quicksilver, then old Prof X and old Magneto, then Shadowcat, then Blink, then Iceman, then Storm.

What do you think?

Halle looks good with short hair but doesn't fit as Storm. When she had the long white hair on the first movie, I was thinking like I'm really seeing a real Storm, that she's for real.

i agree with you that Storm SHOULD have long hair. no question. or the mohawk... I think from DOFP the short hair makes combat sense. so it works best in this movie. X2 and X3 hair was attrocious.

Your listing is ok... though i'd move Quicksilver down the list... he's really only in three scenes. meeting wolverine and co.. greeting mags . and bullet time saving their asses. A great addition tho. Still above all the future x-men, besides Professor X and Magneto.

Did we notice in the credits, young Charles and Erik aren't called Prof or Mags? i did. it was a nice touch.

I think this is the first time Wolverine has had to share top billing in an x-movie. Michael Fassbender is becoming a huge star. And his First Class chemistry with McAvoy made their character easily sharing billing with Wolvie. Mystique owns this movie... but she DOES play the lead supporting cast role, not a headlining role. (even with Jennifer lawrence being the biggest actress in hollywood)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@devilsgrin81 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@lukehero said:

What do you think?

i agree with you that Storm SHOULD have long hair. no question. or the mohawk... I think from DOFP the short hair makes combat sense. so it works best in this movie. X2 and X3 hair was attrocious.

Your listing is ok... though i'd move Quicksilver down the list... he's really only in three scenes. meeting wolverine and co.. greeting mags . and bullet time saving their asses. A great addition tho. Still above all the future x-men, besides Professor X and Magneto.

Did we notice in the credits, young Charles and Erik aren't called Prof or Mags? i did. it was a nice touch.

I think this is the first time Wolverine has had to share top billing in an x-movie. Michael Fassbender is becoming a huge star. And his First Class chemistry with McAvoy made their character easily sharing billing with Wolvie. Mystique owns this movie... but she DOES play the lead supporting cast role, not a headlining role. (even with Jennifer lawrence being the biggest actress in hollywood)

But Quicksilvers' screentime was longer that's why I put him higher or maybe lower than old Magneto and old Professor X.

Hugh was still the overall main character in the movie.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to say how I love love love how people who deny she is a list have now moved the bar on what it takes. About 2 or so years ago before the original STORM forum was wiped out by haters of her fans, (dont believe the glitch nonsense) these posters said to be a-list she had to have her own solo. Now she has her own solo title due out in july 23 and now this is magically not enough to make her a-list. Please just stop with the bull, ok?

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2217  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@lukehero said:

personally ... halle's starting to grow on me .. she just needed stronger makeup and blue contact lenses

now if i can make halle look goddessish ...Brian has NO excuse...
    now if i can make halle look goddessish ...Brian has NO excuse...

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2218  Edited By GrenadeFlow

I just want to say how I love love love how people who deny she is a list have now moved the bar on what it takes. About 2 or so years ago before the original STORM forum was wiped out by haters of her fans, (dont believe the glitch nonsense) these posters said to be a-list she had to have her own solo. Now she has her own solo title due out in july 23 and now this is magically not enough to make her a-list. Please just stop with the bull, ok?

Let's see if it will pass twelve issues first

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow:

Really doesn't matter how long it lasts... it can last 1 issue. Bottom line is marvel felt storm was a viable and strong enough character to support a title on her own and give her an on-going. This completely shuts down all those who argued she wasnt a-list because she hadn't been given one.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@butterflykyss: Since when does having an ongoing make you an A-list character? Seems like it could help, but that's not all it takes.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't get how she's this popular. Her character isn't really to great..

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she's well known. possibly the 2nd most famous female character in comics. i think the A list is small

Bats

Supes

Wolverine

Spidey

WW

Flash(not any particular Flash)

Hulk

Aquaman

Iron Man

Captain America

Punisher

I think they're the ones people would recognize without hesitation and the Storm costume is the same, punk rock mohawk Storm as well. The Fantastic Four as a group might be just as recognizable.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butterflykyss: Since when does having an ongoing make you an A-list character? Seems like it could help, but that's not all it takes.

Well a lot of posters who posted earlier on this thread has stated that A list characters have their own ongoing so they don't consider Storm as an A-list because she doesn't have her own ongoing.

@butterflykyss said:

Let's see if it will pass twelve issues first

It should. I'm being optimistic. Hehehe :)

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Hmm, I get what they mean, to a certain extent, as the characters who are definitely A-list do have their own comics. I hope people don't actually think that any character getting a solo automatically makes them A-list.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Hmm, I get what they mean, to a certain extent, as the characters who are definitely A-list do have their own comics. I hope people don't actually think that any character getting a solo automatically makes them A-list.

True. I have a question for you though. If a character doesn't have his/her own ongoing, then he/she is not an a-list character?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: I'm not 100% sure, but I think I agree with that for most characters. If a character is A-list, they probably should be popular enough to regularly have their own comics. I think it's just one of the things that proves popularity as opposed to recognition.

Like, Storm is part of an A-list team, and is probably known to a lot of people because of that, but without successful solo comics or merchandise, she doesn't appear to be as popular as she is recognised, so on her own, I don't regard her as A-list.

Her new ongoing has come shortly after a film appearance, so that may be to capitalise on a higher amount of interest in her than usual. Just getting a solo isn't enough to make her A-list, in my opinion, and her series would have to last a long time, whilst also gaining proof of significant mainstream solo appeal, through the creation of more solo merchandise or films, T.V. shows, games etc, in order for her to be considered an A-list character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2228  Edited By jhazzroucher

@jhazzroucher: I'm not 100% sure, but I think I agree with that for most characters. If a character is A-list, they probably should be popular enough to regularly have their own comics. I think it's just one of the things that proves popularity as opposed to recognition.

Like, Storm is part of an A-list team, and is probably known to a lot of people because of that, but without successful solo comics or merchandise, she doesn't appear to be as popular as she is recognised, so on her own, I don't regard her as A-list.

Her new ongoing has come shortly after a film appearance, so that may be to capitalise on a higher amount of interest in her than usual. Just getting a solo isn't enough to make her A-list, in my opinion, and her series would have to last a long time, whilst also gaining proof of significant mainstream solo appeal, through the creation of more solo merchandise or films, T.V. shows, games etc, in order for her to be considered an A-list character.

I see. I have to disagree then. Storm's popularity has soared higher than other comic characters who have their own ongoing. The only other characters whom I consider A-list even without having an ongoing is Cyclops and, probably Magneto too.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2229  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@kasino: Diana is the most popular female right? i think storm is actually second, any reason why Marvel and DC mutually agreed to have her fight WW? i never asked before i'm just curious

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasino: Diana is the most popular female right? i think storm is actually second, any reason why Marvel and DC mutually agreed to have her fight WW? i never asked before i'm just curious

For now, I would say Storm is. Movies are the largest form of media which WW is lacking. I'm not going to say the same for Black Widow since she lacks on other forms of media. I would say Catwoman is up there too, second behind Storm.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Which A-list characters with ongoings is she more popular than, and how are you measuring proof of popularity?

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2232  Edited By devilsgrin81

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@jhazzroucher: Which A-list characters with ongoings is she more popular than, and how are you measuring proof of popularity?

i would weigh in with she's more popular than Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Elektra... but i suppose it depends on whether you count them as A-list.

She's certainly more popular than Daredevil, Black Panther and Luke Cage... most of whom have or have had ongoings.

This all comes down to whom people agree upon among marvel's roster are actually A-List characters. Frankly, even tho i support Storm's status as the Top Female at Marvel... I legitimately think ONLY Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine qualify as A-List characters. Iron Man is NOT... Robert Downey Jr is... Cap is certainly not. Though he is challenging, as is Thor.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

i would weigh in with she's more popular than Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Elektra... but i suppose it depends on whether you count them as A-list.

She's certainly more popular than Daredevil, Black Panther and Luke Cage... most of whom have or have had ongoings.

This all comes down to whom people agree upon among marvel's roster are actually A-List characters. Frankly, even tho i support Storm's status as the Top Female at Marvel... I legitimately think ONLY Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine qualify as A-List characters. Iron Man is NOT... Robert Downey Jr is... Cap is certainly not. Though he is challenging, as is Thor.

Why do you consider Spider-man, Wolverine and Hulk only as A-list characters? I'd like to know.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilsgrin81 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Why do you consider Spider-man, Wolverine and Hulk only as A-list characters? I'd like to know.

Well Spider-Man is obvious. He is without question, challenge or rival... the BIGGEST STAR at MARVEL. Hulk is instantly world-wide recognisable. and Wolverine has had more movies an exposure than anyone besides Spidey. They are marvel's "trinity". A true A-lister needs no additional information beyond the name. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, even Storm all require some pre-knowledge of comics to get the right person coming to mind. But Hulk and Wolverine are now that damn famous, and Spider-Man is, alongside Batman and Superman, one of the most famous fictional characters ever created.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@devilsgrin81 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

This all comes down to whom people agree upon among marvel's roster are actually A-List characters. Frankly, even tho i support Storm's status as the Top Female at Marvel... I legitimman in an metal/iron suit. ately think ONLY Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine qualify as A-List characters. Iron Man is NOT... Robert Downey Jr is... Cap is certainly not. Though he is challenging, as is Thor.

Well Spider-Man is obvious. He is without question, challenge or rival... the BIGGEST STAR at MARVEL. Hulk is instantly world-wide recognisable. and Wolverine has had more movies an exposure than anyone besides Spidey. They are marvel's "trinity". A true A-lister needs no additional information beyond the name. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, even Storm all require some pre-knowledge of comics to get the right person coming to mind. But Hulk and Wolverine are now that damn famous, and Spider-Man is, alongside Batman and Superman, one of the most famous fictional characters ever created.

Iron Man is A-list too. He's second behind Spider-man when it comes to successful movies. Pretty much recognizable too. So are Captain America and Thor. And among the X-men, that would be Storm and Cyclops.

So the A-list characters for me In Marvel: Spider-man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk, Storm, Cyclops, Captain America and Thor.

The reason why them because all of them have pretty much maintained their exposure and popularity in movies, cartoons, comics, video games, etc.

I did not include Mystique and Professor X because they lack exposure on other forms of media. As for Black Widow, I think she is somehow being overshadowed on a team book and hasn't really been discussed much and probably doesn't have an obvious distinction to make her recognizable.

If I have to add one more comic character to be an A-list character, I would go for Magneto. I just am not certain if he could be because he's a villain and when he was a villain there was less exposure especially in comics. Good thing he's somewhat a hero now but I think he's just not A-list yet. Maybe almost.

For DC Comics, I'd say Batman and Superman. I can't somehow really consider Catwoman A-list because he's on the same situation as I evaluate Magneto. I'm not considering WW an A-list ( but definitely A-List in the past) because though she really has set a standard for women in comics but in video games, cartoons and movies, there's isn't much going on yet. I know she has appeared in a lot of cartoon series, had a tv series an animated movie, but the thing is, that was before. Same with Flash. They're iconic but not currently certain A-list characters.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an A-list character on other comic companies. But I can say some have had their moments like Spawn, Hellboy and Tomb Raider.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2237  Edited By devilsgrin81

@devilsgrin81 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@devilsgrin81 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

This all comes down to whom people agree upon among marvel's roster are actually A-List characters. Frankly, even tho i support Storm's status as the Top Female at Marvel... I legitimman in an metal/iron suit. ately think ONLY Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine qualify as A-List characters. Iron Man is NOT... Robert Downey Jr is... Cap is certainly not. Though he is challenging, as is Thor.

Iron Man is A-list too. He's second behind Spider-man when it comes to successful movies. Pretty much recognizable too. So are Captain America and Thor. And among the X-men, that would be Storm and Cyclops.

So the A-list characters for me In Marvel: Spider-man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk, Storm, Cyclops, Captain America and Thor.

The reason why them because all of them have pretty much maintained their exposure and popularity in movies, cartoons, comics, video games, etc.

I did not include Mystique and Professor X because they lack exposure on other forms of media. As for Black Widow, I think she is somehow being overshadowed on a team book and hasn't really been discussed much and probably doesn't have an obvious distinction to make her recognizable.

If I have to add one more comic character to be an A-list character, I would go for Magneto. I just am not certain if he could be because he's a villain and when he was a villain there was less exposure especially in comics. Good thing he's somewhat a hero now but I think he's just not A-list yet. Maybe almost.

For DC Comics, I'd say Batman and Superman. I can't somehow really consider Catwoman A-list because he's on the same situation as I evaluate Magneto. I'm not considering WW an A-list ( but definitely A-List in the past) because though she really has set a standard for women in comics but in video games, cartoons and movies, there's isn't much going on yet. I know she has appeared in a lot of cartoon series, had a tv series an animated movie, but the thing is, that was before. Same with Flash. They're iconic but not currently certain A-list characters.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an A-list character on other comic companies. But I can say some have had their moments like Spawn, Hellboy and Tomb Raider.

Like i said earlier i completely disagree with Iron Man being A-List. The movies are successful for one reason alone... Robert Downey Jr. He IS Tony Stark. RDj is an A-List mega star. His character is not, Iron Man was successful for its absolutely perfect casting of Tony Stark, and actually also Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow is the perfect Pepper). Any character could have been there instead of Iron Man frankly, and RDj would have nailed it.

Thor needs explanation as to whether you're talking about the Norse God or the Comic Character - and also which comic character. So he is discounted imho. Captain America is more A-list worthy than Thor, but i still think he falls short.

Cyclops and Storm i would LOVE to include on the list, and Jhaaz... we agree on so little... i totally put them, with Wolverboring, as The Biggest X-Stars. I just don't think they're there yet. Both have ongoings for the first time atm (young Cyke is out already, and Storm in two weeks (yay)) that could change things. Mystique, Magneto and Xavier are on the next tier down from W, C, & S. Jean, Rogue, Gambit and maybe Beast live on this tier too.

As to the DC trinity... i think you're unfairly discounting Wonder Woman. She is the biggest female name in Comicdom without any challenge, rival or even near-equal (and i'm a storm-fan as much as you). Only Catwoman has as much recognition as WW at DC... so if storm is A-list, so is Catwoman. Wasn't Catwoman in like the first or second issue of Batman... she's a dawn of time character and still easily the most popular anti-villain in spandex/latex/leather ever to prowl a comic panel.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@devilsgrin81 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@devilsgrin81 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Like i said earlier i completely disagree with Iron Man being A-List. The movies are successful for one reason alone... Robert Downey Jr. He IS Tony Stark. RDj is an A-List mega star. His character is not, Iron Man was successful for its absolutely perfect casting of Tony Stark, and actually also Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow is the perfect Pepper). Any character could have been there instead of Iron Man frankly, and RDj would have nailed it.

Thor needs explanation as to whether you're talking about the Norse God or the Comic Character - and also which comic character. So he is discounted imho. Captain America is more A-list worthy than Thor, but i still think he falls short.

Cyclops and Storm i would LOVE to include on the list, and Jhaaz... we agree on so little... i totally put them, with Wolverboring, as The Biggest X-Stars. I just don't think they're there yet. Both have ongoings for the first time atm (young Cyke is out already, and Storm in two weeks (yay)) that could change things. Mystique, Magneto and Xavier are on the next tier down from W, C, & S. Jean, Rogue, Gambit and maybe Beast live on this tier too.

As to the DC trinity... i think you're unfairly discounting Wonder Woman. She is the biggest female name in Comicdom without any challenge, rival or even near-equal (and i'm a storm-fan as much as you). Only Catwoman has as much recognition as WW at DC... so if storm is A-list, so is Catwoman. Wasn't Catwoman in like the first or second issue of Batman... she's a dawn of time character and still easily the most popular anti-villain in spandex/latex/leather ever to prowl a comic panel.

Iron Man is an A-list. People know him as a rich man who has a machine that he wears in order to fly and save. Captain America is the symbol us USA. As for Thor, he is a god with a mjolnir. Storm, is a white-hair african mutant with weather powers. Cyclops has this blast coming from his eyes.

We're not comparing between women only and we're not talking about comics only. Catwoman and WW differ in recognition. Catwoman has a lot of exposure in movies which is the biggest form of media. However she lacks on other forms media which WW is doing better than her. Also I think it's difficult to consider a sort-of-villain characters an A-list because they won't usually be featured in comics. I know Catwoman has her own ongoing but showing up on other comics is also a big factor especially in JL book. I know she shows up in Batman book sometimes but sometimes is sometimes. For example, Carol Danvers has her own ongoing, but her popularity is not really high. People would recognize Scarlet Witch more than her because Scarlet Witch has been in an Avengers book often. Black Panther has his own ongoing but I just knew him when I've heard that he was married to Storm. That was also the only time I started knowing that he was a Marvel Comics character.

If I have to add one more DC character as an A-list, I'd say Flash.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2239  Edited By alfacess

@blood1991: Not really, storm, professor x, magneto and cyclops are also A-List

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alfacess said:

@blood1991: Not really, storm, professor x, magneto and cyclops are also A-List

Thanks a lot. :)

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microfan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2242  Edited By Microfan123

To me, Storm is a very important and meaningful character. However, to me she is not A-List. To me she is similar to Cyclops, being successful in team books, but not individually, though understandably she is now rightfully getting a chance at her own series, right now.

To me Storm ranks in the top 5 X-Men, but in the greater Marvel Universe, that means she's going to be quite a ways down on the top tier characters in the universe. I'm not even sure I'd say Storm is the number one female X-Man as she is not an original member of the team, and Jean Grey was the single most major character in the most major storyline in X-Men history. As stated Storm does have her own series now, at #2, but in looking at all of comics, that's fairly trivial for the time being, though I wish her well.

Some people have decided on many of these forums to question, and even state that Storm is Marvel's Wonder Woman, when in fact Marvel has no one even remotely close to Wonder Woman. In the Golden age of comics, Wonder Woman headlined two different series (Wonder Woman, and Sensation Comics) and was present on most covers of 2 other series (Comic Cavalcade & All-Star Comics). Some have stated that Wonder Woman and Storm are equal in terms of benefiting from supporting characters in their series (ala Wolverine and Cyclops for Storm and Superman and Batman for Wonder Woman.) That would be true if all Wonder Woman had was Justice League, something she was an original member of, and at the time was the biggest character of those presented on the cover. Wonder Woman however has a LOT more then just Justice League. Wonder Woman Volume 1 ran for 329 issues, of which Superman and Batman had 15 total appearances in her series. Remember, the longest superheroine titled series Marvel has ever had was The Amazing-Spider Girl, with 102 issues (half of which featured Peter Parker). Wonder Woman has 3 different series, (Wonder Woman Volume 1 (329), Wonder Woman Volume 2 (228), and Sensation Comics (106 though it didn't have WW's name in the title))) that all trump Marvel's greatest single superheroine titled comic book series. Wonder Woman got her self-titled, and second series 6 months after her debut because she was that popular. Storm was created in the 70s, and last month finally achieved enough in Marvel's eyes to get her own series, which was long overdue.

As for appearances, though international books do deserve some credit, much of Marvel's character's appearances are grossly inflated on Comicvine due to international reprints of American comics. The reason that is flawed is, if someone decided to reprint Watchmen 3 billion times, but declared each reprint as different volumes, then Silk Spectre would appear in 3 billion comics, but they'd all be the same story. Looking at Storm, her most major series is Uncanny X-Men Volume 1. According to Comicvine, she appeared in 252 issues of the 405 issues. That is the single most major series she's appeared in. Next, not counting international reprints, is Ultimate X-Men at 81 appearances. She's going to be hard pressed to get to that huge number of 7,079 issues, if those are the two series in which she's appeared in the most. If DC decided (and they haven't), but if they decided to reprint all of Wonder Woman's appearances in just one other language, let alone 3 or 4 she'd easily surpass Storm and most of Marvel (though she does have some international reprints, but no where near as many as X-men.)

International books should count to some degree because they do broaden an audience, but to me not to a degree where you trump a single character headlining over 600 individual issues. Due to Marvel's tendencies in the 60s to have women on teams as more of an after thought then really having much faith in them, many when viewing Justice League (which came before the Marvel teams) assume the same. The truth is, of the characters that appeared on the cover of Brave and the Bold 28, Wonder Woman was easily the biggest. At that time Hal Jordan and Barry Allen were rookies (Allen had only been on 11 covers, Jordan 3), and though Aquaman and Martian Manhunter had been around for awhile (Aquaman even being older then WW), none had ever appeared on a cover up till that point. Wonder Woman on the other hand had appeared on 289 covers up to that date. That comic historically, according to Stan Lee would inspire Marvel to give superheroes another shot. Also though Storm is unquestionably the most major and significant woman of color in comics, she isn't the first (nor is Wonder Woman the first superheroine). Wonder Woman's series actually had a character named Nubia who predated Storm, and was Diana's sister. Storm does deserve respect though for not only lasting, but being a standout character in a majorly successful series.

As for the other appearances? Well Storm has appeared in many a movie, as seen with the X-men appearances and cameos in First Class and Wolverine. Now, it is true Wonder Woman has never appeared on the big screen, though by news alone we know to at least some degree she will be in the next Superman movie (and technically was in the Lego Movie). She however has appeared in multiple direct to DVD animated movies. Those are a lot like cartoons though, and Storm has appeared in cartoons. But Diana has as well. Yes, there is Justice League and there is Justice League Unlimited, but there is also Superfriends, a cartoon which debuted 2 years before Storm was even created. One of those direct to DVD movies however was completely and totally about Wonder Woman, without another single costumed hero appearing in the movie. Video games I would say Storm is winning that medium of exposure (though that medium flourished when X-Men were popular), but movies, video games and comics aren't the only things. For example, Lynda Carter's TV show. It ran for 3 seasons, on network television, and ran for 60 episodes, at roughly 60 minutes an episode. It did this without any of Wonder Woman's major villains (Except Paula Von Gunther and Fausta) and not another single costumed hero. Never in the TV show is there any mention whatsoever of any other hero existing even on that planet, besides Wonder Woman, and it was a success. Though movies are a big deal, television is also a big deal, as Lucille Ball's iconic stature will attest to. Clearly no one was watching that show because of Superman or Batman. Very few comic book heroes have their own live action TV show, which also included a theme song. Due to budgets for TV shows, they often can't do the special effects for the various powers, and though the WW TV show was made, it often minimized her powers and abilities in order to stay within budget. Marvel for example, only really found a ton of success with Hulk. Even Spider-Man hasn't really been a huge hit on TV outside of cartoons. Wonder Woman also for a very short amount of time, had a comic book strip that appeared in newspapers, once again a feat rarely seen by a comic book super hero, and once again it was not Justice League, but was Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman has her own base of operations, there are characters that exist in comic books today, because of Wonder Woman. In the video game Injustice, Gods Among Us, Wonder Woman is present as is Ares, and the battleground Themyscira. Also Giganta and the Invisible jet are in the backgrounds of the Justice league setting. Wonder Woman also famously appeared on the cover of Ms Magazine, and recently the Smithsonian named Wonder Woman #1 one of the objects in their library of millions of artifacts that made America. That comic was the only comic book on the list.

This being a fan page devoted to Storm, I did not in any way wish to discredit or say "Storm is Lame" or "Storm is worthless" or any such thing like that, because it is unquestionably false. To me Storm is a character with great potential, and has already accomplished a lot more then most creators ever dream their characters could do. because of that potential, the sky's the limit. Comparing her to Wonder Woman though is a bit out of her league. As I said, Storm has potential, but so to does Diana. If Wonder Woman were cancelled in all ways shapes and forms tomorrow and we wait 30 years, then we'd have a good estimate of where everything was, but whatever Storm can do, Wonder Woman can do as well, that's the nature of potential, and the reason longevity is important. As long as she's still there, she's still capable of anything. Women have had an uphill battle throughout comic book history, whether it be the male X-men and Justice League T-Shirts that leave the women off of it, no matter how major the character), or the action figures not wanting to make female characters, to any number of other slights, the fact Wonder Woman has carried a title, a title in which she is unquestionably the star of the book, since 1942 is not only unprecedented before her, but afterwards as well. Few male characters have accomplished what she has. For example, let's look at Hal Jordan. The iconic version of the Green Lantern, and one of the more popular characters today, and one that is DC related, and as such the international skew will not be so prominent. Strictly looking at the number of appearances characters have made, Hal Jordan is sitting at 2,911, and Wonder Woman is sitting at 4,594. If Wonder Woman never, ever appeared in another comic book for the next 20 years, and Hal Jordan appeared in every issue of 4 different series, he'd still be distantly in Wonder Woman's rear view mirror. That's not comparing her to another female, that's comparing her to a male headliner. Every male character in comics is rushing down the path Superman laid, and some are quite close to him, but none of the female characters are anywhere near as close to her, as Batman and Spidey are to Superman. What Flash and Green Lantern and Spidey and Hulk are doing is going down a road already paved, Wonder Woman is one of the ones paving the road. A problem female characters have also had (WW and Storm included) is sometimes men genuinely are interested in reading about them, but the comic book store's environment often looks down upon them for trying to buy a comic dominated by a female. That hurts ALL female characters, in every company. I have no idea where that behavior came from (and is stupid), but it has been present over the years, even though no one would think twice about a man watching an episode of Charlie's Angels. This hurts all the more so since comic shops have historically been dominated by male readers. If they are being influenced in any way to not read the book, then the fact it's still here is jaw dropping.

I honestly have no genuine idea who is the greatest female in Marvel Comics, and even if I did, I'm not sure where she would place in the company. It might very well be Storm, or Jean Grey, or Rogue, or Ms Marvel, or She-Hulk, or Spider-Woman, or Spider-Girl, or Invisible Woman, or Wasp, or Black Widow. Marvel's females historically have not held series as the leads the way DC or independent companies have. Witchblade, Vampirella, Buffy, have arguably been more successful on their own then the Marvel ladies. Importance and popularity do not always go hand in hand either. Cyclops and Namor are both very important characters to Marvel comics, but due to their personalities, their popularity has not always been very likable. When Marvel launched the vast majority of their characters, women were in the background. They have tried, to bring them to the forfront at times, but the 60s was the iconic time of marvel, in terms of the characters that were created during that time. We've had decades worth of stories where Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, Namor, and dozens of others have been present and significant. About the only character I've seen since the 60s to break into that group is Wolverine. Not to say that any character can't, but strictly on whether they have. I genuinely don't know if any Marvel female is more major then The Thing, or Doc Strange, or Ghost Rider, or Namor. I don't know. But if I can't even say that confidently, then I can't even remotely discuss Wonder Woman. What made Wonder Woman different then what happened to women in the 60s at Marvel was, when DC was at it's peak, and creating the legends, Wonder Woman was one of those legends, and was a headliner. Storm was created a decade after Marvel's peak in creative influence and was not the headliner when she first appeared. To me, Storm is an ensemble character, though a meaningful one. That being said, if we were ranking characters all-time, and ignoring if you are the headliner, or if you are an ensemble character then Robin, Lois Lane, Commisioner Gordon, and Alfred would all be better known then most of comic books (Wonder Woman and Storm included.) Robin would quickly become the third greatest comic book hero in history, which Spider-man fans would not probably enjoy. Lois Lane it also should be remembered headlined a comic book that also eclipsed Spider-Girl. One issue specifically with the X-men title is that if you ask most X-Men fans their favorite characters, almost all of them are named. Gambit, Rogue, Deadpool, Wolverine, Kitty, Emma, Storm, Cyke, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Beast, Iceman etc. many of these fans that buy X-Men love that one character, but really aren't overly invested in the others. I know Rogue fans who hate Cyclops, but Cyke gets credit every time they buy a comic with Rogue and Cyclops in it. That's why standing alone, to me, matters. Looking at Wonder Woman, often, people ridicule Wonder Woman for her supporting cast, or her rogue's gallery. What they fail to mention is that Wonder Woman then becomes all the more major, as it's not a villain or another character selling the book. If Storm were taken off X-Men would it crash? What if Wonder Woman were put on the X-Men in her place, would it crash (understandably WW is not a mutant)? Maybe 25% of the people buying X-Men are buying it for Rogue, but nearly 85% that are buying Wonder Woman, are doing it because of her, and not another character. If the discussion was about X-Men vs Wonder Woman, then X-Men takes that, but X-Men is a lot of different characters standing pretty much against one. I'm thankful Storm now has her opportunity to show off. Even if Storm fails, it may not in any way be because of her character, but more the writers or artists who are put on the book, and their love for the character. There may come times when people are assigned the book and don't like the character, or feel the character needs to be changed, or killed, or a costume change, or a horrid artist or are just look at it as a stepping stone to something greater like X-Men or Spidey. Hopefully that doesn't happen for Storm, but even if it does, A-listers can and have overcome it.

I am however reminded of an earlier post I read here. More often then not on message boards across the internet the same basic message is put forth. Who should replace Wonder Woman? Who is going to take that mantle of the greatest female character in comic history away from her (the premise of the post being, now that Wonder Woman is lame, what new hip character will kick her into oblivion)? After all, she's not "cool" anymore, (Yoda's line about 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, the character was made in 1942), and these other characters are just so cool, and of course they'll continue to be as cool as Wonder Woman has been for the next 6 decades (because that's not really an big accomplishment or anything). Wonder Woman should not be replaced by anyone. If Storm earns a seat at the table (and maybe to some she already has), then we should all be happy and congratulate the accomplishment. The mindset though that only one woman can be there is garbage. Whatever may become of superheroic comics in the future, Wonder Woman has earned her seat at the table. No female character, or male character will ever deny her that, only people who are innocently ignorant to her accomplishments will. Every female character in all mediums that are ass kickers, are walking down her path, and based on the character's personality, she'd be more then happy to welcome some more of her sisters as it's not about replacing, but adding. Wonder Woman's sales may lack at times, and she may limp on, but that's what any true warrior does. Keep fighting and mowing through. When all superheroic comics were cancelled by Marvel, and dang near all were done so at DC, Wonder Woman was one of 3 characters to headline a book from the golden age into the silver, something Captain America, Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, and Flash cannot say. In that regard it is not only the female characters who owe that character something, but all superheroic characters, male or female. A statement was made that the only reason WW stayed in publication for so long was because DC Comics would lose the character to the Marston estate if she was not the title character of a comic book every so many months. Apparently according to some sources, that was true back in the 80s, but appears to not be true anymore. However, the fact was DC viewed her as still being financially viable by whatever means to continue publishing her. When she stayed in publication during comic's darkest hour (Post-War/Seduction of the Innocent/TV invasion), that was before the cartoons, action figures, TV shows, video games etc. No one knew what Wonder Woman's merchandising possibilities were. Why wasn't she a casualty like all the others? What they did know though, was at one time she was one of the standout characters in 4 different books, 3 more books then the Marston situation needed. Why was she in so many? Because back then, back when comics were far more popular and far more widely read then today, she was a big deal. The face of comic books is better because of Wonder Woman, and because of Storm. In my opinion Storm right now is a All-Star on her way to becoming a Hall of Famer. Wonder Woman was first ballot, unanimous, induction class Hall of Famer. For what it's worth, that's my long winded opinion anyways, and for the record I do not dislike Storm. I was doing this not so much to disrespect Storm, but to give a bit of respect to Wonder Woman.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's probably on the edge of an A characters.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh..This thread aggravates the hell out of me, can we not let it fall to the bottom of the forum already? Because we know the OP won't take no for an answer. I don't care if she's A-list or not, she's my favorite character (and I couldn't care anyless what anyone thinks of her) who finally has her own solo. Any true fan of storm wouldn't care what she is. Just be happy she's alive and that marvel clearly doesn't want to kill her off...

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2246  Edited By jhazzroucher

To me, Storm is a very important and meaningful character. However, to me she is not A-List. To me she is similar to Cyclops, being successful in team books, but not individually, though understandably she is now rightfully getting a chance at her own series, right now.

To me Storm ranks in the top 5 X-Men, but in the greater Marvel Universe, that means she's going to be quite a ways down on the top tier characters in the universe. I'm not even sure I'd say Storm is the number one female X-Man as she is not an original member of the team, and Jean Grey was the single most major character in the most major storyline in X-Men history. As stated Storm does have her own series now, at #2, but in looking at all of comics, that's fairly trivial for the time being, though I wish her well.

Some people have decided on many of these forums to question, and even state that Storm is Marvel's Wonder Woman, when in fact Marvel has no one even remotely close to Wonder Woman. In the Golden age of comics, Wonder Woman headlined two different series (Wonder Woman, and Sensation Comics) and was present on most covers of 2 other series (Comic Cavalcade & All-Star Comics). Some have stated that Wonder Woman and Storm are equal in terms of benefiting from supporting characters in their series (ala Wolverine and Cyclops for Storm and Superman and Batman for Wonder Woman.) That would be true if all Wonder Woman had was Justice League, something she was an original member of, and at the time was the biggest character of those presented on the cover. Wonder Woman however has a LOT more then just Justice League. Wonder Woman Volume 1 ran for 329 issues, of which Superman and Batman had 15 total appearances in her series. Remember, the longest superheroine titled series Marvel has ever had was The Amazing-Spider Girl, with 102 issues (half of which featured Peter Parker). Wonder Woman has 3 different series, (Wonder Woman Volume 1 (329), Wonder Woman Volume 2 (228), and Sensation Comics (106 though it didn't have WW's name in the title))) that all trump Marvel's greatest single superheroine titled comic book series. Wonder Woman got her self-titled, and second series 6 months after her debut because she was that popular. Storm was created in the 70s, and last month finally achieved enough in Marvel's eyes to get her own series, which was long overdue.

As for appearances, though international books do deserve some credit, much of Marvel's character's appearances are grossly inflated on Comicvine due to international reprints of American comics. The reason that is flawed is, if someone decided to reprint Watchmen 3 billion times, but declared each reprint as different volumes, then Silk Spectre would appear in 3 billion comics, but they'd all be the same story. Looking at Storm, her most major series is Uncanny X-Men Volume 1. According to Comicvine, she appeared in 252 issues of the 405 issues. That is the single most major series she's appeared in. Next, not counting international reprints, is Ultimate X-Men at 81 appearances. She's going to be hard pressed to get to that huge number of 7,079 issues, if those are the two series in which she's appeared in the most. If DC decided (and they haven't), but if they decided to reprint all of Wonder Woman's appearances in just one other language, let alone 3 or 4 she'd easily surpass Storm and most of Marvel (though she does have some international reprints, but no where near as many as X-men.)

International books should count to some degree because they do broaden an audience, but to me not to a degree where you trump a single character headlining over 600 individual issues. Due to Marvel's tendencies in the 60s to have women on teams as more of an after thought then really having much faith in them, many when viewing Justice League (which came before the Marvel teams) assume the same. The truth is, of the characters that appeared on the cover of Brave and the Bold 28, Wonder Woman was easily the biggest. At that time Hal Jordan and Barry Allen were rookies (Allen had only been on 11 covers, Jordan 3), and though Aquaman and Martian Manhunter had been around for awhile (Aquaman even being older then WW), none had ever appeared on a cover up till that point. Wonder Woman on the other hand had appeared on 289 covers up to that date. That comic historically, according to Stan Lee would inspire Marvel to give superheroes another shot. Also though Storm is unquestionably the most major and significant woman of color in comics, she isn't the first (nor is Wonder Woman the first superheroine). Wonder Woman's series actually had a character named Nubia who predated Storm, and was Diana's sister. Storm does deserve respect though for not only lasting, but being a standout character in a majorly successful series.

As for the other appearances? Well Storm has appeared in many a movie, as seen with the X-men appearances and cameos in First Class and Wolverine. Now, it is true Wonder Woman has never appeared on the big screen, though by news alone we know to at least some degree she will be in the next Superman movie (and technically was in the Lego Movie). She however has appeared in multiple direct to DVD animated movies. Those are a lot like cartoons though, and Storm has appeared in cartoons. But Diana has as well. Yes, there is Justice League and there is Justice League Unlimited, but there is also Superfriends, a cartoon which debuted 2 years before Storm was even created. One of those direct to DVD movies however was completely and totally about Wonder Woman, without another single costumed hero appearing in the movie. Video games I would say Storm is winning that medium of exposure (though that medium flourished when X-Men were popular), but movies, video games and comics aren't the only things. For example, Lynda Carter's TV show. It ran for 3 seasons, on network television, and ran for 60 episodes, at roughly 60 minutes an episode. It did this without any of Wonder Woman's major villains (Except Paula Von Gunther and Fausta) and not another single costumed hero. Never in the TV show is there any mention whatsoever of any other hero existing even on that planet, besides Wonder Woman, and it was a success. Though movies are a big deal, television is also a big deal, as Lucille Ball's iconic stature will attest to. Clearly no one was watching that show because of Superman or Batman. Very few comic book heroes have their own live action TV show, which also included a theme song. Due to budgets for TV shows, they often can't do the special effects for the various powers, and though the WW TV show was made, it often minimized her powers and abilities in order to stay within budget. Marvel for example, only really found a ton of success with Hulk. Even Spider-Man hasn't really been a huge hit on TV outside of cartoons. Wonder Woman also for a very short amount of time, had a comic book strip that appeared in newspapers, once again a feat rarely seen by a comic book super hero, and once again it was not Justice League, but was Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman has her own base of operations, there are characters that exist in comic books today, because of Wonder Woman. In the video game Injustice, Gods Among Us, Wonder Woman is present as is Ares, and the battleground Themyscira. Also Giganta and the Invisible jet are in the backgrounds of the Justice league setting. Wonder Woman also famously appeared on the cover of Ms Magazine, and recently the Smithsonian named Wonder Woman #1 one of the objects in their library of millions of artifacts that made America. That comic was the only comic book on the list.

This being a fan page devoted to Storm, I did not in any way wish to discredit or say "Storm is Lame" or "Storm is worthless" or any such thing like that, because it is unquestionably false. To me Storm is a character with great potential, and has already accomplished a lot more then most creators ever dream their characters could do. because of that potential, the sky's the limit. Comparing her to Wonder Woman though is a bit out of her league. As I said, Storm has potential, but so to does Diana. If Wonder Woman were cancelled in all ways shapes and forms tomorrow and we wait 30 years, then we'd have a good estimate of where everything was, but whatever Storm can do, Wonder Woman can do as well, that's the nature of potential, and the reason longevity is important. As long as she's still there, she's still capable of anything. Women have had an uphill battle throughout comic book history, whether it be the male X-men and Justice League T-Shirts that leave the women off of it, no matter how major the character), or the action figures not wanting to make female characters, to any number of other slights, the fact Wonder Woman has carried a title, a title in which she is unquestionably the star of the book, since 1942 is not only unprecedented before her, but afterwards as well. Few male characters have accomplished what she has. For example, let's look at Hal Jordan. The iconic version of the Green Lantern, and one of the more popular characters today, and one that is DC related, and as such the international skew will not be so prominent. Strictly looking at the number of appearances characters have made, Hal Jordan is sitting at 2,911, and Wonder Woman is sitting at 4,594. If Wonder Woman never, ever appeared in another comic book for the next 20 years, and Hal Jordan appeared in every issue of 4 different series, he'd still be distantly in Wonder Woman's rear view mirror. That's not comparing her to another female, that's comparing her to a male headliner. Every male character in comics is rushing down the path Superman laid, and some are quite close to him, but none of the female characters are anywhere near as close to her, as Batman and Spidey are to Superman. What Flash and Green Lantern and Spidey and Hulk are doing is going down a road already paved, Wonder Woman is one of the ones paving the road. A problem female characters have also had (WW and Storm included) is sometimes men genuinely are interested in reading about them, but the comic book store's environment often looks down upon them for trying to buy a comic dominated by a female. That hurts ALL female characters, in every company. I have no idea where that behavior came from (and is stupid), but it has been present over the years, even though no one would think twice about a man watching an episode of Charlie's Angels. This hurts all the more so since comic shops have historically been dominated by male readers. If they are being influenced in any way to not read the book, then the fact it's still here is jaw dropping.

I honestly have no genuine idea who is the greatest female in Marvel Comics, and even if I did, I'm not sure where she would place in the company. It might very well be Storm, or Jean Grey, or Rogue, or Ms Marvel, or She-Hulk, or Spider-Woman, or Spider-Girl, or Invisible Woman, or Wasp, or Black Widow. Marvel's females historically have not held series as the leads the way DC or independent companies have. Witchblade, Vampirella, Buffy, have arguably been more successful on their own then the Marvel ladies. Importance and popularity do not always go hand in hand either. Cyclops and Namor are both very important characters to Marvel comics, but due to their personalities, their popularity has not always been very likable. When Marvel launched the vast majority of their characters, women were in the background. They have tried, to bring them to the forfront at times, but the 60s was the iconic time of marvel, in terms of the characters that were created during that time. We've had decades worth of stories where Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, Namor, and dozens of others have been present and significant. About the only character I've seen since the 60s to break into that group is Wolverine. Not to say that any character can't, but strictly on whether they have. I genuinely don't know if any Marvel female is more major then The Thing, or Doc Strange, or Ghost Rider, or Namor. I don't know. But if I can't even say that confidently, then I can't even remotely discuss Wonder Woman. What made Wonder Woman different then what happened to women in the 60s at Marvel was, when DC was at it's peak, and creating the legends, Wonder Woman was one of those legends, and was a headliner. Storm was created a decade after Marvel's peak in creative influence and was not the headliner when she first appeared. To me, Storm is an ensemble character, though a meaningful one. That being said, if we were ranking characters all-time, and ignoring if you are the headliner, or if you are an ensemble character then Robin, Lois Lane, Commisioner Gordon, and Alfred would all be better known then most of comic books (Wonder Woman and Storm included.) Robin would quickly become the third greatest comic book hero in history, which Spider-man fans would not probably enjoy. Lois Lane it also should be remembered headlined a comic book that also eclipsed Spider-Girl. One issue specifically with the X-men title is that if you ask most X-Men fans their favorite characters, almost all of them are named. Gambit, Rogue, Deadpool, Wolverine, Kitty, Emma, Storm, Cyke, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Beast, Iceman etc. many of these fans that buy X-Men love that one character, but really aren't overly invested in the others. I know Rogue fans who hate Cyclops, but Cyke gets credit every time they buy a comic with Rogue and Cyclops in it. That's why standing alone, to me, matters. Looking at Wonder Woman, often, people ridicule Wonder Woman for her supporting cast, or her rogue's gallery. What they fail to mention is that Wonder Woman then becomes all the more major, as it's not a villain or another character selling the book. If Storm were taken off X-Men would it crash? What if Wonder Woman were put on the X-Men in her place, would it crash (understandably WW is not a mutant)? Maybe 25% of the people buying X-Men are buying it for Rogue, but nearly 85% that are buying Wonder Woman, are doing it because of her, and not another character. If the discussion was about X-Men vs Wonder Woman, then X-Men takes that, but X-Men is a lot of different characters standing pretty much against one. I'm thankful Storm now has her opportunity to show off. Even if Storm fails, it may not in any way be because of her character, but more the writers or artists who are put on the book, and their love for the character. There may come times when people are assigned the book and don't like the character, or feel the character needs to be changed, or killed, or a costume change, or a horrid artist or are just look at it as a stepping stone to something greater like X-Men or Spidey. Hopefully that doesn't happen for Storm, but even if it does, A-listers can and have overcome it.

I am however reminded of an earlier post I read here. More often then not on message boards across the internet the same basic message is put forth. Who should replace Wonder Woman? Who is going to take that mantle of the greatest female character in comic history away from her (the premise of the post being, now that Wonder Woman is lame, what new hip character will kick her into oblivion)? After all, she's not "cool" anymore, (Yoda's line about 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, the character was made in 1942), and these other characters are just so cool, and of course they'll continue to be as cool as Wonder Woman has been for the next 6 decades (because that's not really an big accomplishment or anything). Wonder Woman should not be replaced by anyone. If Storm earns a seat at the table (and maybe to some she already has), then we should all be happy and congratulate the accomplishment. The mindset though that only one woman can be there is garbage. Whatever may become of superheroic comics in the future, Wonder Woman has earned her seat at the table. No female character, or male character will ever deny her that, only people who are innocently ignorant to her accomplishments will. Every female character in all mediums that are ass kickers, are walking down her path, and based on the character's personality, she'd be more then happy to welcome some more of her sisters as it's not about replacing, but adding. Wonder Woman's sales may lack at times, and she may limp on, but that's what any true warrior does. Keep fighting and mowing through. When all superheroic comics were cancelled by Marvel, and dang near all were done so at DC, Wonder Woman was one of 3 characters to headline a book from the golden age into the silver, something Captain America, Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, and Flash cannot say. In that regard it is not only the female characters who owe that character something, but all superheroic characters, male or female. A statement was made that the only reason WW stayed in publication for so long was because DC Comics would lose the character to the Marston estate if she was not the title character of a comic book every so many months. Apparently according to some sources, that was true back in the 80s, but appears to not be true anymore. However, the fact was DC viewed her as still being financially viable by whatever means to continue publishing her. When she stayed in publication during comic's darkest hour (Post-War/Seduction of the Innocent/TV invasion), that was before the cartoons, action figures, TV shows, video games etc. No one knew what Wonder Woman's merchandising possibilities were. Why wasn't she a casualty like all the others? What they did know though, was at one time she was one of the standout characters in 4 different books, 3 more books then the Marston situation needed. Why was she in so many? Because back then, back when comics were far more popular and far more widely read then today, she was a big deal. The face of comic books is better because of Wonder Woman, and because of Storm. In my opinion Storm right now is a All-Star on her way to becoming a Hall of Famer. Wonder Woman was first ballot, unanimous, induction class Hall of Famer. For what it's worth, that's my long winded opinion anyways, and for the record I do not dislike Storm. I was doing this not so much to disrespect Storm, but to give a bit of respect to Wonder Woman.

I love your comment and I want to say something about it.

I'd say Storm is the top superheroine in Marvel Comics because like I said before, she has appeared more consistent in almost all forms of media (tv, film, comic, video games, newspapers, etc ) among other female characters. Carol Danvers may have had the most number of ongoing solo issues combined, but you rarely see her on other comic books. he is rarely seen in video games and tv series too. No movies yet. Invisible Woman may be the first major female character in marvel Comics that has been more consistent to be popular until now, but she's not really a very popular character and Fantastic Four is less popular than Avengers and X-men team. Spider-Woman could have een but she disappeared for years. I'm glad that she's back though with her new ongoing. Kamala Khan's Ms Marvel ongoing series is the best-selling female ongoing in marvel comics but she hasn't appeared on other forms of media.

I would say Jean Grey, Rogue and Black Widow are the best competitors for Storm. Jean Grey appeared in The Wolverine movie and a playable character in UMVC3, giving her an edge against Rogue. Rogue however has become a kinda major character in the Uncanny Avengers book. Black Widow quickly becomes Storm. Jean and Rogue's newest rival as she has appeared in a lot of movies now. She also has her own ongoing and also appears in other comic books.

Storm is in X-men Days of Future Past, her answer to Jean's appearance in The Wolverine. While both Storm and Jean and in UMVC3, Storm has been the more popular character as she is one of the main characters to a very popular gamer who won champion this year. Storm also appears currently in a lot of comic books like the all-female X-men, amazing x-men, Wolverine and the x-men, also appears in uncanny x-men, NIghtcrawler solo and cameo in Original Sins. She will also be in Axis and she currently has her own ongoing. Storm, Jean and Rogue have been in all x-men cartoon series but Storm has more appearances in other cartoon series such as Amazing X-men and Black Panther cartoon series. In XDoFP though, Mystique has it but Storm, along with Wolverine (Hugh and Halle it is) has always been the cover/image when promoting the previous x-men films.

I believe that when people say Storm is Marvel's Wonder Woman, they meant Storm is the top superheroine in Marvel Comics since WW is the top superheroine in DC.

I'm not disrespecting WW. It's just that people think that she's too big when she's not. True that she dominates in comics as she had the highest number of issues on all her ongoing but like you said, her ongoing continues longer/rebooted so as not to lose the rights. But whatever the reason is, we will count that. I give DC a credit for actually giving her a good role on teambooks because Marvel doesn't really do that to their women. It's always been the guys for Marvel.

Now why do I think that there are other women close to, or if not even higher than WW? Simple. Comics is a small form of medium. Movies is prolly the biggest form among all forms of media. And Storm, Jean, Rogue, Catwoman, Mystique, Invisible Woman and Black Widow have been consistent to be on films. Not only that, I give Marvel a pat on the shoulder as they release more video games than DC and are also more popular than what DC can offer. And again, those women have always appeared on video games. Storm, Jean and Rogue can also match WW's appearances in cartoon series.

There was actually a time when I actually forgot about WW because comics don't get to our place and comic stores are really not available everywhere in the world. I'm from the Philippines by the way. For me, WW being one of the main cast in Justice League cartoon series was a big deal because I think that was the first time i saw a moving WW. I could say most filipinos saw a moving WW for the first time through that cartoon series too. Then she's gone again ( not for me though since I always surf the net and go to comic sites). I'm glad that she was in Lego the movie and she'll be in Batman vs Superman.

I also want to add that Batgirl and especially Catwoman are the toughest competitor for Wonder Woman in DC. However Catwoman, just like Mystique, they're not really like considered superheroes since they have been villains, which means less appearances in cartoon series, etc. Catwoman though has appeared in a lot of movies than WW and prolly in video games too. I added Batgirl because before the first issue of Harley Quinn ongoing was released, the Batgirl ongoing comics was the only female ongoing comics who has beaten WW ongoing comics for more than a year I think until WW ongoing was rebooted.

Harley Quinn right now is the top female ongoing comics and it's not like selling a few copies more than the other female ongoing comics. it's a difference of like 30,000+ or more against any other female ongoing books. However, only in comics, so she's pretty much not ye on the level of Storm, Wonderwoman, Catwoman, etc...

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord jesus...

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

She is a B-List character. The only A list X-Man is Wolverine.

/Thread

Here's to harkening back on an old comment...

Agreed - isn't really an A-Lister, B-Lister is more fitting.

- TAS

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... Now this may upset you (probably a few others) but when are you going to under that Diana literally paved the way for women in comics?.. And this is basically 45 pages of you repeating the same thing over and over.. Someone is going to burst a vein for this to sink in.. Just let it go jhazz...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.