Follow

Storm

Character » Storm appears in 10183 issues.

Born to an American photo journalist and Kenyan princess, Ororo Munroe is one of the most recognizabe superheroines in the Marvel Universe. Using her unique ability to see and manipulate natural energy patterns of the universe to summon any type of weather phenomenon she desires in the blink of an eye, she is called Storm.

How Smart is Storm?

natnatnat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone. I was wondering how smart is Storm? Here her intelligence level is at 2 in a scale from 1 to 7.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ororo_Munroe_(Earth-616)

Does she have any degrees? Did she ever teach anything not related to mutation or powers? I would think because of her powers she must have great knowledge in science, chemistry and physics.

How would you guys rank her?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For me, her intelligence should be rounded to 4.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At most a 3 IHMO. Storm doesn’t have a degree (there was a book that stated she had a poli-sci degrtee but can’t recall if it’s canon or not) and didn’t technically complete highschool. She had street smarts but did get an education at Xaviers. I think her natural intelligence, school or no, is above average, but she completed college level courses at Xavier’s school and she has learned a lot over the past 40 yearts+ in comics. I think she would be a solid 3.

At the school she taught Ethics (possibly Pholisophy), Meteorology, ran combat training sessions and Escape Artistry courses.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At most a 3 IHMO. Storm doesn’t have a degree (there was a book that stated she had a poli-sci degrtee but can’t recall if it’s canon or not) and didn’t technically complete highschool. She had street smarts but did get an education at Xaviers. I think her natural intelligence, school or no, is above average, but she completed college level courses at Xavier’s school and she has learned a lot over the past 40 yearts+ in comics. I think she would be a solid 3.

At the school she taught Ethics (possibly Pholisophy), Meteorology, ran combat training sessions and Escape Artistry courses.

Storm's a teacher and better than a jack of all trades.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I guess Marvel only gives level 4 intelligence if the comic character has been written to be skilled on computer technology.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm should have a degree in meteorology tbh. Even botany if there's one for such a thing.

natnatnat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is at the same level as Wolverine, CannonBall, Iceman, Colossus and Jubilee for example and I would think she seems smarter than them.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natnatnat: 2?? Damn, that's not even 'learnt' level. Did she not go to school??

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or establishment of higher education?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is education really necessary to increase one's level of intelligence?

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LawCol

3 (Learned). She doesn't pull off anything to make her 4 (Gifted). That would require low power inventions (Norman Osborn) or master plotting (Emma Frost).

She could be 2 (Normal), but that seems too low. Even without a formal degree, she has a lot of experience. Plus the ability to analyse those varied experiences and impart her knowledge to others.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawcol said:

3 (Learned). She doesn't pull off anything to make her 4 (Gifted). That would require low power inventions (Norman Osborn) or master plotting (Emma Frost).

She could be 2 (Normal), but that seems too low. Even without a formal degree, she has a lot of experience. Plus the ability to analyse those varied experiences and impart her knowledge to others.

Just wondering which level would you put these people generally:

1. Doctors -

2. Scientists -

3. USA Presidents -

4. Engineers -

5. College Professors -

6. Supervisors on food chains like Mcdonalds -

7. CEOs -

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher:

Doctors, Scientists, Engineers and College Professors would most likely be a 3. Since success in those professions requires both a mixture of advanced academics and skilled reasoning. Those who make ground breaking discoveries would be 4 or possibly even 5. Depending on the knowledge leap.

USA Presidents and CEOS could be 3, considering the fact that nearly all have higher education and the amount of social manipulation they need to succeed. Though they may rank a 2 depending on the company they're running, how they earned their position or even era they exist in.

Supervisors on food chains like Mcdonalds is a tricky one. Some stores will give the job to whoever has been there the longest or is favored by the franchise owner. Others train them up well and/or look for experienced managers. So anything from a 2 to 3. I couldn't imagine a 1 being able to succeed in a supervisor role. They'd eventually cause the store to collapse.

I think a good formal education helps push people from 2 to 3 not just due to knowledge but because it also increases reasoning capabilities. However, I don't feel formal training is inherently necessary for a 3. I've granted academic credit for those students with life / work experience. So I know that experience can be a valuable teacher.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawcol said:

@jhazzroucher:

Doctors, Scientists, Engineers and College Professors would most likely be a 3. Since success in those professions requires both a mixture of advanced academics and skilled reasoning. Those who make ground breaking discoveries would be 4 or possibly even 5. Depending on the knowledge leap.

USA Presidents and CEOS could be 3, considering the fact that nearly all have higher education and the amount of social manipulation they need to succeed. Though they may rank a 2 depending on the company they're running, how they earned their position or even era they exist in.

Supervisors on food chains like Mcdonalds is a tricky one. Some stores will give the job to whoever has been there the longest or is favored by the franchise owner. Others train them up well and/or look for experienced managers. So anything from a 2 to 3. I couldn't imagine a 1 being able to succeed in a supervisor role. They'd eventually cause the store to collapse.

I think a good formal education helps push people from 2 to 3 not just due to knowledge but because it also increases reasoning capabilities. However, I don't feel formal training is inherently necessary for a 3. I've granted academic credit for those students with life / work experience. So I know that experience can be a valuable teacher.

I see. Thanks for your answer. : )

If there are 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, would you just put Storm exactly between those level or just flat 3?

Anyway, I think evaluating one's intelligence for comic characters, should not be limited to 7 options only like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. They should increase the levels to 10 or 12 cos well they gave Arcade a level 7 intelligence and cosmic beings are usually given level 7 on intelligence too. Also, there should be like 2.1, 2.2 until 2.9, also 3.1-3.9, and so on.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there are 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, would you just put Storm exactly between those level or just flat 3?

Anyway, I think evaluating one's intelligence for comic characters, should not be limited to 7 options only like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. They should increase the levels to 10 or 12 cos well they gave Arcade a level 7 intelligence and cosmic beings are usually given level 7 on intelligence too. Also, there should be like 2.1, 2.2 until 2.9, also 3.1-3.9, and so on.

I think the 1 to 7 keeps it loose enough so that writers and editors have an easier time incorporating characters. I don't really give it too much thought, otherwise I'd stop enjoying comic books. For example, Strength rating of 7 is lifting over 100 tons. So characters like Thor sometimes lift continent or planet sized objects. Other times, they struggle with a large vehicle.

As for Storm's intelligence, I'd place her fairly solidly in the middle (3.5). She is a quick thinker, experienced, logical, tactical and has good recall in the majority of her showing. However, she hasn't really invented anything. I think another thing to consider is that her love interests have included Forge and Black Panther. I can't see either choosing her if she wasn't intellectually stimulating.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawcol said:
    @jhazzroucher said:

I think the 1 to 7 keeps it loose enough so that writers and editors have an easier time incorporating characters. I don't really give it too much thought, otherwise I'd stop enjoying comic books. For example, Strength rating of 7 is lifting over 100 tons. So characters like Thor sometimes lift continent or planet sized objects. Other times, they struggle with a large vehicle.

As for Storm's intelligence, I'd place her fairly solidly in the middle (3.5). She is a quick thinker, experienced, logical, tactical and has good recall in the majority of her showing. However, she hasn't really invented anything. I think another thing to consider is that her love interests have included Forge and Black Panther. I can't see either choosing her if she wasn't intellectually stimulating.

But like I said Arcade's intelligence level is 7 and the cosmic beings like TOAA are usually at level 7 but we all know there's a huge, huge gap between Arcade and TOAA's level of intelligence.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LawCol

@jhazzroucher said:

But like I said Arcade's intelligence level is 7 and the cosmic beings like TOAA are usually at level 7 but we all know there's a huge, huge gap between Arcade and TOAA's level of intelligence.

Sounds like a definite misprint. Arcade wasn't in the last official handbook I have. Where is it from?

natnatnat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been following this site for about two years and never posted anything. I'm glad it created a discussion. For me the fact that she is also a leader, a teacher and mentor, a tactician and has many years of experience combined with her powers should make her 3 - Learned.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been following this site for about two years and never posted anything. I'm glad it created a discussion. For me the fact that she is also a leader, a teacher and mentor, a tactician and has many years of experience combined with her powers should make her 3 - Learned.

Please post more often. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.