Alexandra Shipp cast as Storm in Xmen: Apocalypse

• 140 results
#101 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

@king22 said:

honestly casting Alexandra or Zendaya for that matter as storm is the equivalent of casting keke palmer as Beyoncé in a Beyoncé biopic. can someone please explain to me how this makes sense? out of all the African American actress to play storm it came down to two mixed light skinned actresses that both have horrible track records in acting(in my opinion) and the mass majority of you not only like the idea but want the actress that could pass for Hispanic. what confuses me more is that when the suggestion of an Academy award winning actresses who looks PERFECT and is from Kenya so we know she can do the voice, comes up she's not right for the role? BUT Alexandra and Zendaya are? I would honestly rather them stop having storm in the x-man movies from now on because

A) I don't think these movies are making her more popular. I think people would know storm regardless of the movies

B) She serves no purpose in any of the x-man movies(in my opinion). she is just there for diversity and to add special affects via her lightning

C) they CAN'T cast her right. they only character to not get cast right consecutively

If you are referring to Lupita, she' can't play the role because prolly she can't due to her taking the role for a Star Wars movie. Also, Director Singer is looking for a younger actress and Lupita is already 30+.

I think the director is looking for an actress between 20-25. Any suggestions?

#102 Posted by Emperor97 (159 posts) - - Show Bio
#103 Posted by vance_astro (90012 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why anyone thinks that Lupita would have been any better of a fit than Alexandra Shipp. They are both fails.

#104 Posted by rogueshadow (21896 posts) - - Show Bio

God I want to see Storm in the MCU so bad. I can't believe how obsessed people are with the skin tone. I still go with Nathalie Emmanuel for a reboot.

#105 Posted by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

God I want to see Storm in the MCU so bad. I can't believe how obsessed people are with the skin tone. I still go with Nathalie Emmanuel for a reboot.

Are you black, because if you are I don't see how this is unbelievable to you. Nathalie Emmanuel is very fair skinned, if she played Storm...black people would feel like she was only casted because Hollywood finds that skin tone more acceptable than a darker skin tone. You can see how that would bother people, right?

#106 Posted by rogueshadow (21896 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

Are you black, because if you are I don't see how this is unbelievable to you. Nathalie Emmanuel is very fair skinned, if she played Storm...black people would feel like she was only casted because Hollywood finds that skin tone more acceptable than a darker skin tone. You can see how that would bother people, right?

My race shouldn't change anything. She's dark enough to blatantly be of African descent. When people banged on about Michael B. Jordan's race change there was so much talk of racism, yet it's fine to complain about Storm being slightly paler. I understand it stems due to the fact that minorities are generally under represented, but... double standards much?

Nathalie Emmanuel is a good actress, beautiful and dark enough to convincingly be Storm in my opinion. I think as an actress she's the best fit. Not being quite as dark as her comic book counterpart really doesn't bother me.

I was actually specifically thinking how people are complaining about a young version of current Storm being lighter is utterly ludicrous, Halle Berry is lighter skinned, they can't just say she turned lighter in the 20 years between Apocalypse and X1.

#107 Posted by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

My race shouldn't change anything.

It shouldn't but it could.

She's dark enough to blatantly be of African descent.

But she's not the right skin tone for Storm.

When people banged on about Michael B. Jordan's race change there was so much talk of racism, yet it's fine to complain about Storm being slightly paler. I understand it stems due to the fact that minorities are generally under represented, but... double standards much?

I can't call anyone out on double standards. I can't only speak for myself on this one. I, like many comics fans want movies BASED on comics to stay true to the comics. Otherwise you are just taking the property and abusing it for it's namesake.

Nathalie Emmanuel is a good actress, beautiful and dark enough to convincingly be Storm in my opinion. I think as an actress she's the best fit. Not being quite as dark as her comic book counterpart really doesn't bother me.

No version of Storm has ever been that light. So how is she dark enough to convincingly be Storm? Her acting talent isn't the issue. There are actresses that are the correct complexion that can act as well. I understand that this might not bother you but you don't understand why it bothers other people?

I was actually specifically thinking how people are complaining about a young version of current Storm being lighter is utterly ludicrous, Halle Berry is lighter skinned, they can't just say she turned lighter in the 20 years between Apocalypse and X1.

How is is ludicrous though, you didn't really explain and you're making this point about Halle Berry as if everyone is cool with her being Storm.

#108 Edited by rogueshadow (21896 posts) - - Show Bio

@masked_up: We obviously disagree on this premise, I don't care if she's a bit lighter than the comic book version, I just don't, her being slightly off in skin tone doesn't bother me at all. I'm not a purist and I don't expect an adaptation to follow the source material precisely, especially in something as insignificant as exact skin tone. She's dark, that's enough for me. Obviously I understand, when I said 'I can't believe' I was speaking in hyperbole, I just disagree.

No, I'm not assuming everybody likes Halle Berry at all. I don't like Halle Berry as Storm, but you have to keep to the established continuity. It's ludicrous to cast a very dark actress as Storm in the prequel for the reason stated.

#109 Edited by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

@masked_up said:

@rogueshadow said:

I'm not black but I think it's also unfair to light skinned black people that they can't play as Storm because of their skin tone. The point is Storm is black and they're black too.

#110 Posted by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@masked_up: We obviously disagree on this premise, I don't care if she's a bit lighter than the comic book version, I just don't, her being slightly off in skin tone doesn't bother me at all.

I got that part. It just seems like you can't understand the other side of it. People are complaining for the sake of complaining. It's not too much to ask that Hollywood do SOMETHING right for once.

I'm not a purist and I don't expect an adaptation to follow the source material precisely, especially in something as insignificant as exact skin tone. She's dark, that's enough for me. Obviously I understand, when I said 'I can't believe' I was speaking in hyperbole, I just disagree.

No film has ever followed the source material precisely but they could at least try. The ones that are the closest to the source material get the most praise. Even Chris Evans who doesn't fit that Captain America mold exactly is alot closer to what he's intended to be than what Halle Berry brought to Storm. The Iron Man films are very highly rated in terms of critical acclaim & ticket sales. They've gotten the casting right almost perfectly. Doesn't it seem like it would help to actually do this right?

No, I'm not assuming everybody likes Halle Berry at all. I don't like Halle Berry as Storm, but you have to keep to the established continuity. It's ludicrous to cast a very dark actress as Storm in the prequel for the reason stated.

That's my mistake. I thought you were saying that Halle Berry was Storm for so long but nobody said anything about her but now that Alexandra Shipp is playing the younger version it's a problem. You actually don't have to keep established continuity. Halle & Shipp can both be recast. James Rhodes became Don Cheadle from Terrance Howard between films.

#111 Posted by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

I'm not black but I think it's also unfair to light skinned black people that they can't play as Storm because of their skin tone. The point is Storm is black and they're black too.

That's why I asked RogueShadow's race though because black women have been living the reality of not getting parts or not being represented because of their skin tone so they would more than likely not take the stance of not caring about that specifically. It's not unfair to light skinned people that they can't play Storm because she's not that. It's as fair as it could possibly be that they can't play her.

#112 Posted by rogueshadow (21896 posts) - - Show Bio

@masked_up: I see the other side of it, people want a dark black Storm because they feel like Hollywood is white-washed and they want to see Storm darker because that's how she is in the comics, okay, got it, I disaree, I want to see the best actress for the part play Storm, rather than the actress who fits the precise comic book canon or is cast for multi-culturalism.

It's simply not true that film's closest to the comic-book get the most praise, honestly, I don't think there is a relationship either way. The original Spider-man trilogy, first two X-Men films, DOFP, The Dark Knight Trilogy and so on all went way off script. IM 2 and 3 were both meh in my opinion and didn't get much acclaim.

RDJ's success isn't based on appearance, hell, he's about 11cm shorter than Tony Stark for a start - but he plays the role perfectly, which I think Emmanuel would, you're sort of reducing Storm's character by assuming being a darker skin tone is what will make her good, casting shouldn't be predicated on that.

Cheadle and Howard was a complete recast of the character, this is a prequel which will connect to Halle Berry, it's not the same scenario.

@masked_up said:

@rogueshadow said:

Yeah, I agree with that.

#113 Edited by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@masked_up: I see the other side of it, people want a dark black Storm because they feel like Hollywood is white-washed and they want to see Storm darker because that's how she is in the comics, okay, got it, I disaree, I want to see the best actress for the part play Storm, rather than the actress who fits the precise comic book canon or is cast for multi-culturalism.

But how can someone be the BEST ACTRESS for the part if they don't LOOK the part? There are a ton of good black actresses. How do you choose one if you're not attempting to match the original character?

It's simply not true that film's closest to the comic-book get the most praise, honestly, I don't think there is a relationship either way. The original Spider-man trilogy, first two X-Men films, DOFP, The Dark Knight Trilogy and so on all went way off script. IM 2 and 3 were both meh in my opinion and didn't get much acclaim.

Yes it is. Avengers, Nolan's Last Two Batman Films, The Original Spider-Man trilogy, The Iron Man trilogy, Man of Steel & Guardians of the Galaxy are the top 10 highest grossing films in that genre, they aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but they are alot closer to the source material than alot of films in the genre especially in terms of casting which is the part of it we're talking about.

RDJ's success isn't based on appearance, hell, he's about 11cm shorter than Tony Stark for a start - but he plays the role perfectly, which I think Emmanuel would, you're sort of reducing Storm's character by assuming being a darker skin tone is what will make her good, casting shouldn't be predicated on that.

Right because when we are thinking of actors who actually look like the character they are playing we say that they don't based on the one thing they don't even keep consistent in the comics. Not their facial features, facial hair, skin tone, none of that. Height, you know the one thing most people can't determine just by looking in the first place. What makes Nathalie Emmanuel perfect for Storm? "Good actress" isn't a good enough reason. That distorts the definition of "perfect".

Cheadle and Howard was a complete recast of the character, this is a prequel which will connect to Halle Berry, it's not the same scenario.

Doesn't have to be. Nobody forgot that Terrance Howard started as James Rhodes. You have two people with the same name looking completely different just between the original film and the sequel. It's not like he was recast for a complete new trilogy of films. It's the same one.

#114 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

That's why I asked RogueShadow's race though because black women have been living the reality of not getting parts or not being represented because of their skin tone so they would more than likely not take the stance of not caring about that specifically. It's not unfair to light skinned people that they can't play Storm because she's not that. It's as fair as it could possibly be that they can't play her.

I've seen Storm with a lighter skin in comics. It has also been shown that she's lighter-skinned than T'challa.

But I do prefer a darker-skinned tone but we shouldn't say the lighter-skinned ones should not play as Storm.

Lupita should have been a good choice but they were looking for a younger actress.

Would it be fine with you if Alexandra tans hers skin to look darker?

#115 Posted by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

I've seen Storm with a lighter skin in comics. It has also been shown that she's lighter-skinned than T'challa.

But I do prefer a darker-skinned tone but we shouldn't say the lighter-skinned ones should not play as Storm.

Lupita should have been a good choice but they were looking for a younger actress.

Storm in terms of how she's most consistently depicted would not be considered light skin. Most depictions of Storm would suggest that she's the same complexion as someone like Kerry Washington or Chili from TLC. Not as dark as Lupita (still don't understand why anyone thinks that's a good fit) and not as light as Alexandra Shipp or Halle Berry. Why shouldn't we say that lighter-skinned actresses can't play Storm? YOU'RE A STORM FAN, why wouldn't you of all people want them to actually depict your favorite character correctly?

#116 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

Storm in terms of how she's most consistently depicted would not be considered light skin. Most depictions of Storm would suggest that she's the same complexion as someone like Kerry Washington or Chili from TLC. Not as dark as Lupita (still don't understand why anyone thinks that's a good fit) and not as light as Alexandra Shipp or Halle Berry. Why shouldn't we say that lighter-skinned actresses can't play Storm? YOU'RE A STORM FAN, why wouldn't you of all people want them to actually depict your favorite character correctly?

I understand what you mean but during the first x-men movie, it was only Halle who is perfect for the role. She was the most beautiful and the most popular black actress.

Her not so good role is not hers to blame but to the director, imagine she didn't even fly.

Right now I believe they chose Alexandra since she's like the younger version of Halle.

Maybe on a Storm solo movie, we may get to have a black actress who really looks like Storm. But they would have to go to Kenay, Africa, etc to check their local actresses to play as Storm because there's noone in Hollywood I know who could play the role. Lupita and Zoe are the closest but face-wise, they don't look like Storm.

#117 Posted by Masked_Up (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

I understand what you mean but during the first x-men movie, it was only Halle who is perfect for the role. She was the most beautiful and the most popular black actress.

Her beauty & popularity doesn't make her perfect to play Storm. That means they put those fairly unimportant attributes above who has the acting ability & look to pull the character off. Someone is only perfect for the role if when people see her on screen as Storm and not Halle Berry in a costume. When Hugh Jackman pops those claws and shows that anger, he IS Wolverine. You get from his performance what you feel when you see him in comics.

Her not so good role is not hers to blame but to the director, imagine she didn't even fly.

Right now I believe they chose Alexandra since she's like the younger version of Halle.

I am blaming the director. I understand that Alexandra Shipp was chosen because of Halle Berry i'm simply saying that they could have went with someone else and replaced Halle in later films if she is going to appear as the adult version of the same character. They don't need Halle's popularity factor anymore nor did they really need it in the first place. The X-men were Marvel's most popular property aside from Spider-Man & Fantastic Four that they had. Tobey Mcguire was a nobody before Spider-Man & he carried 3 films. The name "X-MEN" alone would have generated interest.

Maybe on a Storm solo movie, we may get to have a black actress who really looks like Storm. But they would have to go to Kenay, Africa, etc to check their local actresses to play as Storm because there's noone in Hollywood I know who could play the role. Lupita and Zoe are the closest but face-wise, they don't look like Storm.

How is Lupita close face wise? Very few depictions of Storm have her looking anything like Lupita and Zoe Saldana & Lupita look nothing alike so how can they BOTH be close? They don't need someone FROM Kenya. Black people don't lose their feature just because integrate with other people. They can find a brown skinned actress with some range right in this country and they don't need for that person to be A-list because Wolverine is more popular than Storm but they didn't go after an A-lister to carry 4 X-Men films & 2 solos. Hugh Jackman BECAME A-list from those movies.

#118 Posted by Malachi_Munroe (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

When all is said and done, get me Grace Jones.

#119 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (12382 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite unofficial Bond ladies.

#120 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

Any new photos from Alexandra?

#121 Posted by Malachi_Munroe (3624 posts) - - Show Bio
#122 Edited by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@king22 said:

honestly casting Alexandra or Zendaya for that matter as storm is the equivalent of casting keke palmer as Beyoncé in a Beyoncé biopic. can someone please explain to me how this makes sense? out of all the African American actress to play storm it came down to two mixed light skinned actresses that both have horrible track records in acting(in my opinion) and the mass majority of you not only like the idea but want the actress that could pass for Hispanic. what confuses me more is that when the suggestion of an Academy award winning actresses who looks PERFECT and is from Kenya so we know she can do the voice, comes up she's not right for the role? BUT Alexandra and Zendaya are? I would honestly rather them stop having storm in the x-man movies from now on because

A) I don't think these movies are making her more popular. I think people would know storm regardless of the movies

B) She serves no purpose in any of the x-man movies(in my opinion). she is just there for diversity and to add special affects via her lightning

C) they CAN'T cast her right. they only character to not get cast right consecutively

I agree Alex is a horrible miscast,and a sub par actress.

but stop this colorism bull. It's annoying.

1.At the end of the day we are all Black(for the people that this applies too in this thread)

2.Storm is Black.

3.Doesn't matter what skin color or shade of brown,as long as the actress is Black and can act her ass off.(Alex can't)

4. Look Hispanic? I get annoyed when people say that. Hispanic is a ethnicity,not a race. I know because I am one and clearly I'm of Black decent too. Same goes for people like Zoe Saldana.(Guardians)

5. I think these movies did help Storm's popularity even more,aside from the Saturday morning cartoon in the 90's,Halle Berry introduced her character to the masses and non-comic readers. Halle bringing Storm to life was one of the reasons that I even became more interested in the character. I know it introduced a younger generation for sure.

6. Also it wasn't Halle's fault. It was Signer's directing. Halle is an Academy award winning actress for a reason. A miscast she may have been, though I truly believe with better material in hand, she still could have been better than what she was with the right vision and direction.The movies were all about Wolverine,but they did get some things right.Like making Storm second in command to cyclops,and actually letting her take the lead as Headmistress after Prof X and Scott died. She became a leader in X-3(which was one of the better things about that movie). She was always an authoritative figure in the movies,but her screen time was so little in the first 2 that she was just kinda....... there...Just like Cyclops.

Yeah but casting is NEVER right. Like I said why is Jean so much taller than Storm??

Why Is Cykes actor once again not even at least 6 ft??

Why was Jlaw cast as Mystique??

Me personally,I try not to cry over spilled milk and just make the best of it.

#123 Posted by vance_astro (90012 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess said:

but stop this colorism bull. It's annoying.

It's not "colorism", because if nobody knew what Storm looked like..we wouldn't be talking about skin tone.

#124 Posted by vance_astro (90012 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess said:

Yeah but casting is NEVER right. Like I said why is Jean so much taller than Storm??

Basically what you're doing here is ACTUALLY nitpicking to try and turn the debate over skin tone into a wash. Casting is NEVER PERFECT but it has been RIGHT more than it hasn't. Height isn't something that even comic book artists get right all the time. You know how many times Wolverine has been depicted over 5'3?

#125 Edited by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: Vance it is colorism.

This light skin vs Dark skin mess is petty. It makes us look bad as a community, Point Blank and Period. Alex isn't a good actress,but at least if you guys are going to go in on the girl,let it be for a legit reason,not because of the way she looks(something she can't help) She's of Black decent,and so is Storm. It's better than getting someone who is white as snow,because if you can't handle someone who is a Light skinned African-American playing Storm,and you guys cry over this,just imagine if Fox did what they did to Human Torch in the new F4 film.You guys would explode if Storm was portrayed as a white girl.

Storm has been depicted as various shades of brown over the years by many different artist/colorist. There is no one set look.Even in her original appearance she was like a medium brown complexion,never Lupita's color(but some versions have been)

I don't know maybe I get offended personally, because I'm light too and I don't see why everyone is buggin. I mean I agree that darker actresses should be more represented and given a chance,I even prefer someone who is dark skinned for a change,but im not crying over it,because there isnt anything we can do. People wanted Lupita so bad,but honestly besides 12 years a slave,she's a one hit wonder,and all she did in that movie was get beat and cry.Being A Kenyan girl isn't enough to merit her as Ororo.

#126 Posted by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess said:

Basically what you're doing here is ACTUALLY nitpicking to try and turn the debate over skin tone into a wash. Casting is NEVER PERFECT but it has been RIGHT more than it hasn't. Height isn't something that even comic book artists get right all the time. You know how many times Wolverine has been depicted over 5'3?

No no no

I promise you Vance,it isn't that way at all.Im just giving examples on how stupid that is.The point i was trying to make is that there are a lot of casting,continuity ,and physical errors in this series....but what can you do?

I try not to stress myself out anymore by things that i cannot affect.

#127 Posted by vance_astro (90012 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess said:

This light skin vs Dark skin mess is petty. It makes us look bad as a community, Point Blank and Period. Alex isn't a good actress,but at least if you guys are going to go in on the girl,let it be for a legit reason,not because of the way she looks(something she can't help) She's of Black decent,and so is Storm. It's better than getting someone who is white as snow,because if you can't handle someone who is a Light skinned African-American playing Storm,and you guys cry over this,just imagine if Fox did what they did to Human Torch in the new F4 film.You guys would explode if Storm was portrayed as a white girl.

Storm has been depicted as various shades of brown over the years by many different artist/colorist. There is no one set look.Even in her original appearance she was like a medium brown complexion,never Lupita's color(but some versions have been)

I don't know maybe I get offended personally, because I'm light too and I don't see why everyone is buggin. I mean I agree that darker actresses should be more represented and given a chance,I even prefer someone who is dark skinned for a change,but im not crying over it,because there isnt anything we can do. People wanted Lupita so bad,but honestly besides 12 years a slave,she's a one hit wonder,and all she did in that movie was get beat and cry.Being A Kenyan girl isn't enough to merit her as Ororo.

No, it's not. That's like saying if Marvel doesn't lets a black person play PETER PARKER, it's racist. It's NOT. Peter Parker isn't black, that's a fact about his character. Storm isn't light and she's not dark, she's in between. She's not as light as Alexandra Shipp and she's not as dark as Lupita N'yongo, that is a fact about her character. The issue here isn't race & color, it's authenticity. We as comic readers have actually enjoyed and supported to medium these characters come from we are the sole reason that these companies even existed long enough to do these films, so in return all we are asking is that they at least TRY to get the casting right and make these films worthwhile for us.

You use the words "cry" & "crying" alot but I don't think this is crying or whining at this point. People are just a little annoyed at how studios take licenses and make unnecessary changes to them. All of this only hurts the brand of characters they are trying to push. Halle Berry isn't selling any books for Storm, had they actually depicted her correctly and got an actress suited for the part..Maybe Storm would be in better shape. Her depiction in the 90's Animated Series gained her ALOT of fans and got alot of people reading X-Men, Maybe they should think about that next time the make a pointless race change or a bad casting choice. Look at how much Rocket Raccoon and the Guardians benefited in terms of comics from a GOOD film.

#128 Edited by vance_astro (90012 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess said:

No no no

I promise you Vance,it isn't that way at all.Im just giving examples on how stupid that is.The point i was trying to make is that there are a lot of casting,continuity ,and physical errors in this series....but what can you do?

This is basically what I just described. Height IS a really pointless thing to have an issue with unless the difference is massive. If Iron Man is supposed to be 6'0 but in the films he's 5'9, that's not as big of a difference as someone being an entirely different color than the one they are portraying.

#129 Posted by Tonix (62 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess: I completely agree. I don't want Storm as a man who feels like he should be a woman. Thats weird

#130 Posted by Tonix (62 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Halle Barry as Storm. I also agree that with better material, she could've made Storm a force to be reckoned with like she is in the comics. I like the fact that she has openly spoken out about fighting for more development for Storm and her eagerness to return to play her every time.

i love Lupita as well but to me it wouldn't make any sense to hire her to play a younger Storm since she looks nothing like Halle, the woman she has to resemble.

I don't know much about Alexandra (besides the Aaliyah movie), which to me is a good thing. She also kind of resembles Halle. Zendaya is way too tall to play a young Halle and again Lupita looks nothing like her. I also agree with what somebody else said about the girl from Empire, but her acting is so boring to me. But she could make a good younger Storm.

Hopefully Bryan will develop Storm Cyclops and Jean the way Mystique has been developed

#131 Edited by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

@thegoddess said:

No, it's not. That's like saying if Marvel doesn't lets a black person play PETER PARKER, it's racist. It's NOT. Peter Parker isn't black, that's a fact about his character. Storm isn't light and she's not dark, she's in between. She's not as light as Alexandra Shipp and she's not as dark as Lupita N'yongo, that is a fact about her character. The issue here isn't race & color, it's authenticity. We as comic readers have actually enjoyed and supported to medium these characters come from we are the sole reason that these companies even existed long enough to do these films, so in return all we are asking is that they at least TRY to get the casting right and make these films worthwhile for us.

You use the words "cry" & "crying" alot but I don't think this is crying or whining at this point. People are just a little annoyed at how studios take licenses and make unnecessary changes to them. All of this only hurts the brand of characters they are trying to push. Halle Berry isn't selling any books for Storm, had they actually depicted her correctly and got an actress suited for the part..Maybe Storm would be in better shape. Her depiction in the 90's Animated Series gained her ALOT of fans and got alot of people reading X-Men, Maybe they should think about that next time the make a pointless race change or a bad casting choice. Look at how much Rocket Raccoon and the Guardians benefited in terms of comics from a GOOD film.

Well Johnny Storm being White was apart of his character,and look what they did to him( I <3 Michael B,so I don't really care),but then Black people wanna yell racist when White people get mad about him not being The blonde immature younger BIOLOGICAL brother of Sue. I'm just saying though. Yes I agree with a lot of what you said,but we didn't see people in an uproar because Chris Evans isn't blonde like comic capt,or that even with Wanda,whose partially Romanian,looking pale asf. We want authenticity,but Hollywood has the final say(even @ Marvel Studios).

This girl is bland though,she F^ed two roles up within 2 months a part of each other. If you thought Halle was bland as Storm,lol you guys are going to be wishing Halle never left when Shipp his the screen. I mean it's good to reserve judgment,but if you can't even act in a lifetime film,you're screwed.

I don't know if you watch Empire,but the girl who plays Hakeem's girlfriend would've been perfect. She's a pretty Brown skinned girl.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I partially agree,but disagree with the selling books argument. Everyone knows that the X-men aren't promoted like they use to be(Despite still being Marvel's top selling team),they get shafted a lot on the business/promotion end of things .Call me an conspirist, but many people have been saying it. Marvel is being the way they are with the X-franchise and associated characters because of a deal they forged FAIR & SQUARE. Honestly I would say the X-movies don't affect the comics as much,because Marvel has no control over that property(movie wise)

And we all can see how influences from other MCU movies have leaked into the actual Comic world.So Guardians being more successful is understandable. That and they were a lesser known team,so they got a push.

#132 Edited by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio
@vance_astro said:

@thegoddess said:

No no no

This is basically what I just described. Height IS a really pointless thing to have an issue with unless the difference is massive. If Iron Man is supposed to be 6'0 but in the films he's 5'9, that's not as big of a difference as someone being an entirely different color than the one they are portraying.

Tony Stark is white, Robert Downey Jr is White too.

Storm is (partially) African-American, Alex is African-American.The color again to me isn't the biggest issue,However I would be entirely pissed off (more than i am now) if they cast a white girl and COMPLETELY RACE FLIPPED HER.

@malachi_munroe said:

She'd make a handsome T'challa ;)

No Caption Provided

#133 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

@thegoddess said:

Well Johnny Storm being White was apart of his character,and look what they did to him( I <3 Michael B,so I don't really care),but then Black people wanna yell racist when White people get mad about him not being The blonde immature younger BIOLOGICAL brother of Sue. I'm just saying though. Yes I agree with a lot of what you said,but we didn't see people in an uproar because Chris Evans isn't blonde like comic capt,or that even with Wanda,whose partially Romanian,looking pale asf. We want authenticity,but Hollywood has the final say(even @ Marvel Studios).

This girl is bland though,she F^ed two roles up within 2 months a part of each other. If you thought Halle was bland as Storm,lol you guys are going to be wishing Halle never left when Shipp his the screen. I mean it's good to reserve judgment,but if you can't even act in a lifetime film,you're screwed.

I don't know if you watch Empire,but the girl who plays Hakeem's girlfriend would've been perfect. She's a pretty Brown skinned girl.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I partially agree,but disagree with the selling books argument. Everyone knows that the X-men aren't promoted like they use to be(Despite still being Marvel's top selling team),they get shafted a lot on the business/promotion end of things .Call me an conspirist, but many people have been saying it. Marvel is being the way they are with the X-franchise and associated characters because of a deal they forged FAIR & SQUARE. Honestly I would say the X-movies don't affect the comics as much,because Marvel has no control over that property(movie wise)

And we all can see how influences from other MCU movies have leaked into the actual Comic world.So Guardians being more successful is understandable. That and they were a lesser known team,so they got a push.

What's her name?

#134 Posted by Emperor97 (159 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegoddess:

so...basically your saying we should be lucky they haven't made storm white...I don't think you get why people are upset. it's not about race at all, YOU'RE making it about race. the problem(to me) is if you are casting for a movie that's based on a comic book why not do your best to make the characters come to life? why is just any shade of black good enough when the character is clearly brown to dark skinned.both the girls up for the role looked mixed and neither of them are good actresses. that's not discrimination, colorism, or that team light skin vs. dark skin mess It's the truth. that was one of the MAIN problems with the Aaliyah movie the casting was horrible.can someone give an example of an African American playing a role based of someone's life or a character and being a COMPLETELY different shade, other than storm I can't think of a single one.

also

1 Chris Evans was blonde for the captain America moviehttp://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.filmschoolrejects.com/images/Chris-Evans-in-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-THE-WINTER-SOLDIER-e1396169452664.jpg&imgrefurl=http://filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/captain-american-winter-soldier.php/attachment/chris-evans-in-captain-america-the-winter-soldier&h=360&w=640&tbnid=HpOB4nLMN2nb1M:&zoom=1&docid=IG00ZMcymCJKGM&ei=6KvdVLDjPMrroAS3xoGYBg&tbm=isch&ved=0CFQQMyhMMEw4ZA

2 Storm is a full blooded African American her dad I believe is just from America but he is black and her mom is from Africa

3 on the Johnny storm thing he SHOULD have stayed white it was wrong to turn him black(especially for the reasons he was most likely turned black for)

#135 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio
@vance_astro said:

@thegoddess said:

No no no

Tony Stark is white, Robert Downey Jr is White too.

Storm is (partially) African-American, Alex is African-American.The color again to me isn't the biggest issue,However I would be entirely pissed off (more than i am now) if they cast a white girl and COMPLETELY RACE FLIPPED HER.

@malachi_munroe said:

She'd make a handsome T'challa ;)

No Caption Provided

I don't think they would get a white actress to play as Storm.

However, if we already got like 5 Storm solo movies played by a black actress and then they decided to make a 6th Storm solo movie with a white actress as coming from an alternate universe, then I'm fine with it. :)

#136 Posted by vance_astro (90012 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, I know what they did to him but this is also the same studio that stated that they aren't following the source material at all. Kate Mara literally asked them how much research she should do to play Sue and they told her...NONE. I don't know what black people are calling it racist that that white people are mad about the Human Torch being black as far as i've heard on this site, twitter, tumblr, other comic book based websites...nobody seems to be cool with this across the board. When Marvel gets the rights to X-men back they still may be doing this race change BS but I'll tell you what, they aren't going to mess up on someone as important as Storm. The X-movies don't effect the comics because they aren't good enough. Guardians being more successful ISN'T really more understandable. X-Men & Spider-Man are the biggest assets that Marvel have, aside from Fantastic Four & Avengers. Marvel only owns the rights to 1 of those. They took a team that nobody heard of and made them the next big thing.

#137 Edited by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio
@king22 said:

@thegoddess:

so...basically your saying we should be lucky they haven't made storm white...I don't think you get why people are upset. it's not about race at all, YOU'RE making it about race. the problem(to me) is if you are casting for a movie that's based on a comic book why not do your best to make the characters come to life? why is just any shade of black good enough when the character is clearly brown to dark skinned.both the girls up for the role looked mixed and neither of them are good actresses. that's not discrimination, colorism, or that team light skin vs. dark skin mess It's the truth. that was one of the MAIN problems with the Aaliyah movie the casting was horrible.can someone give an example of an African American playing a role based of someone's life or a character and being a COMPLETELY different shade, other than storm I can't think of a single one.

also

1 Chris Evans was blonde for the captain America moviehttp://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.filmschoolrejects.com/images/Chris-Evans-in-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-THE-WINTER-SOLDIER-e1396169452664.jpg&imgrefurl=http://filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/captain-american-winter-soldier.php/attachment/chris-evans-in-captain-america-the-winter-soldier&h=360&w=640&tbnid=HpOB4nLMN2nb1M:&zoom=1&docid=IG00ZMcymCJKGM&ei=6KvdVLDjPMrroAS3xoGYBg&tbm=isch&ved=0CFQQMyhMMEw4ZA

2 Storm is a full blooded African American her dad I believe is just from America but he is black and her mom is from Africa

3 on the Johnny storm thing he SHOULD have stayed white it was wrong to turn him black(especially for the reasons he was most likely turned black for)

I'm not trying to make this purely about race,I was just giving examples of similar changes in other films.Though I agree with you,if you're going to bring characters to life,you should try to do the best that you can to make them accurate as possible,unfortunately for Storm's character it just hasn't been a physical fail,but also character wise.

I wish Matthew Vaughn would have never left,Singer is a good director,but he only directs good when it's in favor of a character that he has more of a personal likening to,instead of being an overall storyteller and giving everyone their piece of character development.

can someone give an example of an African American playing a role based of someone's life or a character and being a COMPLETELY different shade, other than storm I can't think of a single one.

Lol yeah

Angela Bassett as Tina Turner

Denzel Washington as Malcom X

Angela Bassett as Rosa Parks

Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone

1.As far as Chris Evans goes I still think it's the lighting in your pic.I guess subsequent films they must have put blonde highlights in,because he was brunette.

No Caption Provided

2.You don't have to tell me anything about Storm,she is one of my faves.I know she isn't Biracial in the comics. Lol I don't even know why you brought that up.

I just hate when i hear people say though,"they need to go to Africa and find a real African,with a REAL African accent to play Storm"...like wtf does that even mean?

That's such a broad statement. Africa is huge,and you just can't pick random people from any part of Africa and say "Here you get to have the role of Storm".

-___-

Again to me,doesn't matter if a Kenyan, Egyptian or African-American plays Storm,As long as you deliver and look the part.I'm tired of these debates though,they are draining.

I agree with a lot of what both you and Vance said,it's just for the past couple of weeks Im tired of seeing Black comic fans dived over this. That's why I made the statement "we are all black" no matter the shade. I mean I have encountered some nasty racially/color fueled comments on other sites that made my stomach turn.and it was sad to me because it was our own people tearing each other down.

Like You don't see White people saying oh well "She's too pale" "He's too tan/Fair skinned" this person has "blue eyes so they're prettier" "redheads aren't attractive " etc etc

It's disheartening that among our own people there is so much division,and especially in Hollywood where it's hard to attain roles period while Black,whether light medium or dark.

That isn't particularly aimed at you guys, just me going off into another thing,but getting back on subject

3.On The Johnny Storm subject, I agree with you. What I was talking about how in the F4 thread where the trailer debut,there were so many white people upset that Johnny was made Black,but there where a lot of Black people who were all like " All of these white people are mad haha" or " Everyone hung up on his race are close minded/ignorant",when in fact they have the right to be mad. I believe in reverse racism. Let that have been T'challa and Black fans what would have turned that thread and the whole site upside down in a cyber riot.

The main argument being used for that situation is that "There aren't a lot of Black Superhereos out there as it is,so whats wrong with diversing the F4?" It's wrong because that was a BIG deviation away from the source materiel. Personally I'm not going to not go see the film,because honestly i think Michael B Jordan is a great actor and charming.I am sure that he'll do good regardless,but it was wrong of the director/casting crew.

#138 Posted by TheGoddess (320 posts) - - Show Bio
#139 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio
#140 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at what Alexandra is currently doing

No Caption Provided

#141 Posted by jhazzroucher (21263 posts) - - Show Bio

Alexandra...

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.