Follow

Steve Ditko

Person » Steve Ditko is credited in 1696 issues.

An American comic book artist and comic book writer. He is best known as the co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.

Who saw the Steve Ditko documentary?

Barguest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Barguest

Who in Britain saw the Steve Ditko documentary by Jonathan Ross? And who just wants to have a good ole discussion about him?

(the best documentary I've ever seen, it had Stan Lee, and Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman :P)

The basic question the program asked was "who is more the creator of a character, the writer or the artist?"

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sling Shot

Where can I see it?

Barguest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Barguest

Well, it showed in Britain, but alot of Jonathan Ross's documentaries end up on YouTube...

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sling Shot

fresh! Ditko's design sense is what makes me like his characters innately. Creeper, Spidey other jumpy looking fellas.

Torminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Torminator

Caught it by accident on sunday and really pleased I saw it. I found it amasing and althought I didn't know much about the extent to which Ditko influenced Spider-man (and the subsequent co-creator issues) the documentary was a real treat. And seeing Alan Moore interviewed (as well as singing) priceless.

the programm was revied here http://bestofmostof.com/ and I think it's repeated on tursday night on BBC4.

Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

I really would like to see this, BADLY!

Did they get into the topic with Stan the man, bout who really created Spider-Man? I heard there was a testy moment or two?

Barguest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Barguest

Stan said that he wrote an official letter citing that Steve did co-create Spiderman. He also made sure that Steve's name was in the movie credits as co-creator as well. Though it did seem that even though Stan was happy to say Steve co-created, he felt that he himself was more instrumental in the creation of Spiderman. It was uncomfortable watching Stan squirm when he was asked about it :P

Jonathan Ross and Neil Gaiman actually got to meet him, and got free comics out of it! But Mr Ditko refused to appear on screen.

Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

That's what i've heard...Stan showed a bit of angst, when the Spider-Man "creator" topic came up....thanks, hopefully it will find its way to the states, soon enough.

Barguest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barguest

Torminator says:

"Caught it by accident on sunday and really pleased I saw it. I found it amasing and althought I didn't know much about the extent to which Ditko influenced Spider-man (and the subsequent co-creator issues) the documentary was a real treat. And seeing Alan Moore interviewed (as well as singing) priceless. the programm was revied here http://bestofmostof.com/ and I think it's repeated on tursday night on BBC4. "

Well done you :P Shame on all the Brits who haven't watched it yet! They've been repeating it alot though... Treat is the perfect description of this documentary!

Torminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Torminator

It's the kind of documentary I'll definitly try to catch again especially if it goes on youtube. It's also made me want to get my hands on some of those early spider-man or Dr. Strange issues. But what I would really want to read is the Mr. A stuff which not only sounds interesting on so many levels and with very good art.

whiplasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whiplasher

Steve Dikto has the same birthday as one of my friends. (just thought i'd mention it).  I didn't see this one but i would really have liked to! I was just as anooyed when i realised there was a documentary about marvel on tv! I was gutted cause i only saw the last two minutes...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.