Follow

Stephanie Brown

Character » Stephanie Brown appears in 788 issues.

Stephanie Brown is the Cluemaster's daughter. She becomes the Spoiler to "spoil" her father's criminal plots, and dated Tim Drake while he was Robin. Steph temporarily becomes Robin when Tim is forced to quit by his father. Later, she briefly resumes being Spoiler before Cassandra Cain decides to pass her the mantle of Batgirl. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she's back to being The Spoiler.

Batgirl no more, Stephanie Brown's Batgirl has been Spoiled.

• 59 results
    golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By golvellius

The anouncement has been made.  Barbara Gordon is donning the Batgirl costume again.  What has not been announced is:  What will happen to Stephanie Brown, who has owned the the title of Batgirl succesfully in the latest run.  She has gathered quite the following and convinced a lot of skeptic people about her qualifications to be Batgirl and just when things have been picking up REVAMP.  The Question is What would you viners think will happen to Steph?? What do you propose?? 

golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By golvellius

I think it would be totally fun to see Steph and Bette Kane toguether.  Nightwing and Flamebird I believe it would be totally cool.....I have a blonde ambtion....
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @golvellius said:
    I think it would be totally fun to see Steph and Bette Kane toguether.  Nightwing and Flamebird I believe it would be totally cool.....I have a blonde ambtion....

except for the fact that Dick is nightwing.......a.nyway she'll probably become spoiler again
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I feel sorry for Steph. I like her, but there were always more people who hated her as Batgirl. A lot o this relaunch business has simply washed over me, but this is one of the few things that bothers me about it all.

golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By golvellius
    @xerox-kitty
    this has been the biggest blow....Stephanie's character really grew up on me on this last year....its sad.....The girl who Slapped the Bat should not be forgotten.  And really I know Barbara Gordon has quite the fanbase but do we really need to see her as Bat-girl when she has clearly outgrown that suit.  The only way this would work is if DC Universe returned to some erlier time when none of the defining points of this characters took place.  But Barbara Gordon is much  more than Batgirl.....by far.  Batwoman would have made sense.....and WHERE IS HUNTRESS????????!!!!!!!
    jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jukeboxheroabc

Have her join Cass have a BlackBat and Spoiler comic in Hong Kong. It has been mentioned that there will be a Batman Inc comic in 2012, So Cass could still exist along with Steph.  .(Unless the reboot is just all a dream that Booster Gold has had.)

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Maybe she'll be Robin again? That would be interesting.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I rather her become Spoiler than anything else since she can't be Batgirl. I was enjoying her run as Batgirl too.

jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jukeboxheroabc
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: It's been confirmed Damian is going to be Robin. 
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @jukeboxheroabc: She could always do it after him :P  

but if she was to be Spoiler i would really want her to be the one person to take the Batgirl name if Barbara was to ever give it up again.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

I'd take her as spoiler if it meant she was still around. They should give her back the invisibility belt.

jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jukeboxheroabc
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: I can't see her being robin again. But I agree with you on having her taking the mantle from Babara. I have to say I am also a Cass fan so I am hoping she stays so we can see a Cass/Steph team up.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I hope steph is atl east is still Spoier. She is one of my favorite characters 

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By iaconpoint

I think she should be Batgirl.  Seriously. 

It's the biggest give-up of the entire reboot/relaunch whatever you want to call it. Steph's book was fun like Mayday Spider-Girl or early Spider-Man and to dump on the character and creators like this will make me never pick up another Batgirl book until Steph is back under the cap and cowl. And I love Barbara. But this is crap. Real crap.

Pears767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Pears767

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if after several months of angry readers if Babs won't have to go through a rather unfortunate experience again and end up in a wheel chair. Overall, the reaction DC is getting (given we're before the comics have even hit the drawing boards) seems to be overwhelmingly negative. If it continues, might we see a Cass/ Steph team up with Babs back in the Oracle chair? Also, I do like the Black Bat name for Cass.

golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By golvellius
    @jukeboxheroabc@jukeboxheroabc: I Think I read That There Is A Black Bat Comic In Plans But It Wont Be Cass
    B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By B'Town
    @xerox-kitty said:

I feel sorry for Steph. I like her, but there were always more people who hated her as Batgirl. A lot o this relaunch business has simply washed over me, but this is one of the few things that bothers me about it all.

This is one that hit me hard too.  I really like Steph as Batgirl.  And I can't imagine a DC universe without Oracle as I know her.  Still, I'm done spewing eff words about Barbara and Steph,.... I've resigned to have faith, that the writers I love will deliver with these new books.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By pixelized

I wanted so badly to like Steph as Batgirl, but that title is so rich in history that it never seemed to fit right on her. It was always as though she had shoes to fill or something to live up to, a hurdle that Cassie never really had to deal with it. So while I am happy that Barbara is back in Bat (see what I did there? giggle), a tiny part of me feels badly for Steph because her tenure is going to be looked at as a joke in retrospect and not as more defined.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By daedalus25

This is based on my own personal opinion and observations after reading literally dozens of blogs and various forum threads, but it doesn't appear that Steph's tenure as Batgirl will be viewed as a joke at all.  Rather Barbara's return to Batgirl is being viewed as the big joke.  Perhaps there's a small chance that DC can somehow pull this off, and if anyone is able to do it I'm sure Gail can, but upsetting scores of Stephanie Brown fans AND Oracle fans in the hopes that Barbara-Bat will somehow draw in more readers is a huge risk.  I have a feeling when the dust settles, Babs' numbers will end up no better than Steph's, and this stunt will have driven away many loyal fans for no reason at all.

Oasis95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Oasis95

I have to agree to i dont see her as a joke and i dont think people should.. No offense but come on..Babs..been batgirl too long..it was great when they had new people go at it . These characters get older ,and at times they grow into new people. Like babs became Leader of birds of prey. I recall in a issue she was like..hating how she got shot but then she would have never found out about this new path that she is taken.     " having her go back to batgirl is just weird.. she like college teacher now..she should be someone else.." i guess their going to do a older version batgirl..who has all the computer smarts but yeah..anyway

For stephany..the moment was when bruce said it or was dick..that pretty much they can see barb again when she was young .not just that something more.. that was moment where it pretty much defined that stephany is batgirl that she  has found her own light .  yeah it was bruce who said something like that. even though at the end he always throws his comment. like she must be watch. the big old batman said it though she has earn and develop her own batgirl... Having her go back to spolier..i hope not,..because that would be..just a insult..to her characters..

the writers..put so much work into it.. showing how she has move up next level they even wrote where . come on bruce even told cass to give it to steph so it will help her learn. and she did. the writers did a great job showing that

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Caligula

this is BS. Batgirl along with Batman Inc. were the two best stories going in DC. I knew this revamp was going to piss me off.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Caligula
    @pixelized said:

I wanted so badly to like Steph as Batgirl, but that title is so rich in history that it never seemed to fit right on her. It was always as though she had shoes to fill or something to live up to, a hurdle that Cassie never really had to deal with it. So while I am happy that Barbara is back in Bat (see what I did there? giggle), a tiny part of me feels badly for Steph because her tenure is going to be looked at as a joke in retrospect and not as more defined.

Not meaning to come off rude. But I am a blunt person... Were we reading the same book? The current Batgirl run far exceeded any previous runs, I don't think the book gets the credit is so rightly deserves. So many people judge it before reading it.

But if you truly did read it, and disliked it. I will be forever befuddled. But I guess everyone can't like everything. regardless, I find your comment confusing as an avid Batgirl reader.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By MrUnknown

I don't see why they can't have three Batgirls even if they are given different names. There are four "Robins" trotting around.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pixelized

@daedalus25 said:

This is based on my own personal opinion and observations after reading literally dozens of blogs and various forum threads, but it doesn't appear that Steph's tenure as Batgirl will be viewed as a joke at all. Rather Barbara's return to Batgirl is being viewed as the big joke. Perhaps there's a small chance that DC can somehow pull this off, and if anyone is able to do it I'm sure Gail can, but upsetting scores of Stephanie Brown fans AND Oracle fans in the hopes that Barbara-Bat will somehow draw in more readers is a huge risk. I have a feeling when the dust settles, Babs' numbers will end up no better than Steph's, and this stunt will have driven away many loyal fans for no reason at all.

I used "joke" more to mean that it didn't last so it'll be swept away, more so than actual giggles.

@Caligula said:

@pixelized said:

Not meaning to come off rude. But I am a blunt person... Were we reading the same book? The current Batgirl run far exceeded any previous runs, I don't think the book gets the credit is so rightly deserves. So many people judge it before reading it. But if you truly did read it, and disliked it. I will be forever befuddled. But I guess everyone can't like everything. regardless, I find your comment confusing as an avid Batgirl reader.

We parted ways after issue 7.

Oasis95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Oasis95
    No Caption Provided
    well i just hope they dont make her go back to her old version..it just not right..i feel sorry for the writers who put a lot of work into having steph grow up into this new version of batgirl.  hm..well see how they play this out..i would crack up if they make her the wheel chair person. lol
    golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By golvellius

It would be cool if they continued Gotham City Sirens with Steph, Flamebird, Mysfit, and any other young heroine avilable in gotham city fighting crime lead by no other than the Huntress....that would be an awesome title....btw anybody knows what will happen with the Huntress???
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By labarith

It's a reboot, you'll be lucky if she even exists.

Oasis95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Oasis95
    @labarith:  i thought they are calling it relaunch?  since they stated that batman inc. will be back and how batwomen kate is still who she is. they never stated steph will be no more.  because if batman inc and batomwen and so on are still who they are. then doesnt that say steph is  still who she is? but just going to have her give up being batgirl  though..flashpoint  is whole different unvi..cross over stuff. eh.. i hate the whole different muti world..stuff. lol
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#29  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
    @labarith said:
    It's a reboot, you'll be lucky if she even exists.
    well, she will exist. the writer for the new batgirl series confirmed that if Steph is not used by another writer, then she would take her up in one way or another.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I loved Steph as Batgirl  :/ I prefer Barbara as Oracle and out of the 'Batgirl' costume. She's too old to be Batgirl now Barbara's character has de-progressed. Really not happy.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By doordoor123

She still exists and Simone said she would like to eventually bring her into her Batgirl title. My guess is that she goes back to being the Spoiler.
    Oasis95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Oasis95

i hope not..i hope they have her as someone else..

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Lion_Heart22

sigh... I always liked Stephanie Brown.. there I said it. It is in me to root for underrated, underexposed characters and I always saw her as the outcast in the family of outcasts that the Bat-family is. She isn't related to them, is not adopted by Bruce, she didn't even had a common theme with them nor had skills in their same league, yet she always kept trying to be better. When you are not the worlds greatest detective, martial artist, best acrobat, possessed of genius IQ, inhumanly rich, a fighting machine bred for killing with your bare hands since childhood, etc, yet  you still have the will and the guts to hang with the bunch of guys that are all those things, then you've gained my respect. 
    It was a low blow what happened to her after being Robin, and when she became Batgirl I thought she had finally earned her stripes, had finally really made enough merits to be an actual part of the Bat-Family.. but now she gets slapped in the face with a reboot. I mean I love Barbara, but still...  
    I guess all thats left for her now is going back to being Spoiler, or create a new identity. Either way, it would only work out if Stephanie really came back showing everyone that she's become badass enough that she doesn't need the Bat-family's support or approval. I just hope she doesn't get benched this time around. 
    Although really.. Barbara going back to Batgirl... that's like Dick going back to Robin. 

MrAtoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrAtoni
    I like Barbara, but she's great as Oracle. (I mean, how many handicapped crime-fighters are there in comics?) In my opinion it feels like DC's giving the character and her history a big middle finger when they're giving her back the use of her legs, and becoming batGIRL (!!!) again.

After the fan reaction when they tried to get rid of her the last time, I don't think DC will dare to get rid of Stephanie again. I think she'll stay around, in one way or the other, but I hope they don't make her go back to being Spoiler. She has kinda grown out of that role. 

I hope she creates a new identity and teams up with someone (like Cass or Proxy) and continues the fight.

@golvellius said:
    It would be cool if they continued Gotham City Sirens with Steph, Flamebird, Mysfit, and any other young heroine avilable in gotham city fighting crime lead by no other than the Huntress....
    That!!! 
    Would!!! 
    Be!!! 
    AWSOME!!!! 
    (I'm not sure about Huntress leading them, but I wouldn't be against it)
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fodigg
    @Oasis95 said:
    No Caption Provided
    well i just hope they dont make her go back to her old version..it just not right..i feel sorry for the writers who put a lot of work into having steph grow up into this new version of batgirl.  hm..well see how they play this out..i would crack up if they make her the wheel chair person. lol
    This is awesome.
    Oasis95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Oasis95
    @fodigg:  haha thanks yeah i found it on da^_^ . the artist  is a big steph and cass fan. But dam i just read the new issue of batgirl..so wat now..she quits because the dad knows...to protect her self family.. men thats just mess up
    Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Telcalipoca

so long as steph is in the dcu doing something im happy. her character grew on me while reading batgirl.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fodigg
    @Oasis95 said:
    @fodigg:  haha thanks yeah i found it on da^_^ . the artist  is a big steph and cass fan. 
    I think my favorite part of that comic is the Nightwing dolly that Steph finds on Babs' desk and is playing with the rest of the comic. The whole thing is just perfect. 

@Oasis95 said:
    @fodigg:  But dam i just read the new issue of batgirl..so wat now..she quits because the dad knows...to protect her self family.. men thats just mess up
    I believe Tim Drake did exactly this, then his dad encouraged him to go ahead and be Robin, then his dad was murdered almost in front of Tim. Comics everybody.
    sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sputnik

man, steph just got her level up and they're revamping? (is there such a word?) 
    make steph stay.

Pepsiguy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pepsiguy2
    @Telcalipoca: Amen. I can't stand not having Steph around in one way or another.
    golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By golvellius

IF SHE CAN NO LONGER BE BATGIRL  I THINK ITS AN INTERESTING TIME TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENEDtoSTEPHANIE IF SHEHAD GONE TO THE SIDE OF THE VILLIANS . TI ME FOR SPOILER TO BECOME CATWOMAN'S SIDEKICK

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iaconpoint

It was just a few months ago I was telling a friend how the current Batman is the original Robin and the current Robin is the son of the original Batman. The reply was, "Wow... cool!" By comparison, Spider-Man (my all-time favorite hero) is, once again, a jobless loser who has a doting aunt who thinks he needs to eat his wheatcakes. Kinda like he was in 1963. And 1971. And 1984. The point is: DC has moved their characters forward while Marvel has moved theirs backward.  

Then THIS. After the Batgirls turned into a ninja/assassin then to a college, valley-girl hiding her identity from her mom and the original Batgirl turned into the brain stem of the entire Bat-organization,  now we revert to no Oracle and no Steph or Cass for the foreseeable future and a character who has been a paraplegic for the better part of 15 years (at least 5 in comic-time) suddenly take back the role. WEAK WEAK WEAK WEAK WEAK!!! 

golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By golvellius
    @iaconpoint
    What will be even more weak will be having Barbara Gordon abandon the Batgirl identity all over again...wich is what will happen eventually since I think this new Batgirl might walk but I don't think it will fly.  I really am kind of puzzled with this, is this just for nostalgia?  Will Barbara rise from the chair just to finally bite the dust?  Stephanie was doing okay as Batgirl, a lot of the fans who were buying it will buy it just for the tease that she might appear in the story as somekind of sidekick of a sidekick....A lot of birds of prey fans will buy it to see Barbara in action....but if fans are not pleased with either of this notions will the new Batgirl gather enough followers before having to do some major changes?....I don't think so.....I might be wrong but I don't see much future for Barbara as Batgirl...
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I'm upset :( 
    I love Stephanie, Barbara's too old to be Batgirl 
    I liked that She was becoming her own person with 'Oracle' and it was good to see a disabled character still being a hero.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Yeah I think Barbs time as "Batgirl" has come and gone. As Oracle she was a much deeper character with pretty badass connections. But F Steph Brown. "Whats dead should stay dead" - Dean Winchester

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I liked Steph Brown as Batgirl.Alot more than both Babs & definitely alot more than Cass Cain.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I'm betting alot of fans felt the same way. Sucks to be them.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Maybe if Babs had never been Oracle I would be cool with her being Batgirl again.Hopefully with her taking the cowl back there will be some actually noteworthy feats for Ms.Gordon.I was more impressed with her fighting in a wheelchair then anything she did when she was able-bodied.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49  Edited By Aiden Cross
    @Vance Astro: Well, In the new Batgirl comic i've seen no mention of her time as Oracle so far. Only a reference to the Killing Joke story arc.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Aiden Cross said:
    @Vance Astro: Well, In the new Batgirl comic i've seen no mention of her time as Oracle so far. Only a reference to the Killing Joke story arc.
    Well i'm sure they retconned the Oracle out of existence.I was just suggesting that I liked Babs more that way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.