Stel is a sentient mechanical being from the planet Grenda, a world populated by robotic beings capable of self awareness and emotion. He is a highly respected veteran of the Corps, having first began his service many years ago under the training of the greatest Lantern of that era, the future renegade Sinestro.
Following the completion of boot camp, Stel was assigned to protect Space Sector 3009, a duty which he maintains to this day. Recently, Stel was handpicked by Kilowog to replace the legendary Lantern as the Corps principle Drill Instructor. Stel accepted this position, but made it clear that he would relinquish the role as soon as Kilowog felt ready to return to duty.
Stel's first appearance was in Green Lantern
#11 in 1962 by Gil Kane
. As Green Lantern had been reimagined in the silver age
to be Hall Jordan a member of the intergalactic Green Lantern Corps, other aliens were needed to fill out the ranks. The sentient robotic being Stel was one of the first to be shown.
Major Story Arcs
Stel's first appearance
Stel’s first chronicled experience was as a participant of the interstellar Green Lantern conference held on the planet Yquem. There Stel joined other highly respected Lanterns like Tomar-Re, Xax, Medphyll, and Nautkeloi in a meeting to discuss the Corp from the Lanterns perspective.
It was at this conference that Stel first met the newest Lantern from Sector 2814, Hal Jordan. The Corps had charged Jordan with dereliction of duty due to his apparent refusal to use his ring responsibly in aiding the people of earth. Stel was among the jury who found Jordan innocent of the charges, with the Corp later discovering that Sinestro was responsible for Jordan's odd behavior.
Months later, Stel was among the Corpsmen sent to apprehend a number of prisoners who had escaped from the Guardians prison planet intent on revenge against the Corps. Before Stel and his allies could bring these criminals to justice, they had succeeded in killing thirteen Lanterns in the process, including Davo Yull and Chogar of Tyrea.
Stel fought with distinction in many notable campaigns including the Corps mission to recover the Central Power Battery from the omnipotent being Agamemno and the defense of Oa against the invading forces of the Weaponers of Qward. Although Stel was often a part of these larger coalitions, his protection of Sector 3009 never faltered. It has been reported that, during his service, Stel vigilantly preserved the peace within his Sector, most notably in protecting his homeworld Grenda from destruction at the hands of the fanatical Krydos.
When the Guardians banished the renegade Maltusian scientist Krona from the universe he pierced the veil between the world of the living and the dead and caused a tear in the fabric of reality. The resulting rift allowed Nekron, the lord of the unliving, to witness the living universe for the first time. Nekron became enthralled with the idea of bringing death to so many lives, but the rift between universes was too small to allow Nekron entry. He therefore imbued Krona with nearly limitless power, gave him an army of undead to command, and sent Krona to kill the Guardians of the Universe. Nekron knew that, as each Guardian died, their dying energies would widen the rift until it was large enough for Nekron to pass through.
The entire Green Lantern Corps was assembled on Oa to deal with this threat. Stel greeted his friend Hal Jordan, who was pleased to hear that Stel had developed a friendship with fellow earth Lantern Charlie Vicker. Shortly after the Guardians arrived to inform the Corps of the universal threat, Krona struck the first blow by sabotaging the Central Power Battery. The Battery exploded, killing many Lanterns, and preventing the surviving Corps from recharging their rings. Now faced with only 24 hours of power, the corps split up into two teams.
Stel raced ahead of his fellow Lanterns and was the first to encounter Krona. The immensely powerful villain was unfazed by Stel’s attack. Krona set upon Stel with blinding speed, and brutally torn the robotic lantern to pieces. Stel’s companions arrived too late to aid their fallen friend. Stel slowly deactivated in the arms of fellow Lantern M’Dahna. With his last words Stel alerted the Corps to the fact that Krona was causing the universe to collapse into itself. His intelligence proved vital in the Corps ultimate defeat of Krona and his undead master.
With Stel gone, his ring passed to a being from a different world with Sector 3009. Back on Grenda, the automatons gathered before a memorial to Stel to mourn their fallen champion. The occasion was marred by the obnoxious boasting of one being. Yron of Grenda viewed Stel as a weakling and coward. He arrogantly insisted that, were he chosen to serve the Corps, he would have been a far better Lantern then Stel ever was.
Before he could be shouted down by the crowd, Yron was interrupted by an attack by the Krydos. The Krydos had long viewed the robotic life on Grenda as an abomination, and with Stel gone, they saw an opportunity to exterminate the Grendians once and for all.
The Krydos advanced weaponry killed many Grendians, but their attack was soon halted by the arrival of Sector 3009’s newest Lantern. The Lantern quickly cut through the Krydos, turning back their attack. However, one Grendian was not pleased to see the Green Lantern. Yron was outraged that the Guardians would chose an “alien” over him to act as Stel’s replacement.
Yron leaped into the air and onto the Green Lantern’s back and wrapped his arms around the Lanterns throat. Yron insisted on being taken to Oa so that he could confront the Guardians in person about their lack of judgment. Although he could have easily overpowered Yron, the Lantern complied, reasoning that the Guardian would soon teach this upstart a lesson about the Corp.
On Oa, Yron chastised the Guardians for failing to recognize his greatness and insisted that they make him a Lantern. Surprisingly, the Guardians complied. They outfitted Yron, and sent him back to Grenda moments before the Krydos renewed their attack. Yron proved to be a disastrous Lantern. His arrogance and grandstanding made him sloppy, and many Grendians died due to his careless use of power.
Yron was horrified by the carnage his failure had caused. He dropped his guard long enough for the Krydos to blast him with a killing blow. Humbled and near death, Yron stumbled to the memorial to Stel. There he sacrificed his remaining life-force to resurrect Grenda’s true Green Lantern. Stel was reborn.
With a veterans skill, Stel dispatched the Krydos and restored peace to Grenda. He then silenced Yron’s critics amongst the surviving Grendians and altered his former memorial to serve as a monument to the sacrifice Yron made for his people.
Fall of the Corps / Fatality
Stel resumed service in the Corps, and was among the Lanterns present when the Guardians left the universe with the Zamarons. Some months later, Stel was amongst the Lanterns assembled during the trial an execution of Sinestro. Like all of the Lanterns assembled, Stel lost his power when the Central Power Battery melted down.
After the fall of the Corps, little else was known about Stel’s whereabouts. He was not among the few veterans assembled by Hal Jordan during the Corps brief rebirth. Months after Parallax destroyed the Corps for a second time, John Stewart discovered Stel’s severed head aboard Fatality’s starship. The deadly warrior claimed Stel as one of the many former Green Lanterns she hunted and killed, but it was never established with certainty that this head actually belonged to Stel, or that the loss of his head would have meant the total deactivation of the robotic Lantern.
Rebirth of the Corps
For further details: Green Lantern: Rebirth
Despite Stewart’s discovery, Stel was among the many veterans who returned to the newly reformed Corps following the restoration of Oa and the rebirth of the Guardians. Stel developed a friendship with Green Man of Uxor and became a trusted senior Lantern among peers like Guy Gardner, Kilowog, and Kyle Rayner.
During the Spider Guild’s invasion, Stel and Green Man refused to join the earth Lanterns in breaking the Guardian’s orders against entering the Vega System. Stel and Green Man did remain on the boarder of the forbidden system, and were on hand to stop the bounty hunters who chased the earthmen as the fled Vega with news of the Spider guild’s attack on Oa. When the Guild did attack, Stel was among the Lanterns who fought and repelled the invading hordes from the Lanterns headquarters.
Sinestro Corps War
For further details: Sinestro Corps War
The renegade Sinestro had been quietly assembling an army of yellow ring bearers to spread his message of fear across the universe. as a prelude to his main attack, Sinetro sent the sentient virus Despotellis to poison the planetary lantern Mogo with its mind controlling spoors.
Green Man was on Mogo when Despotellis attacked, and was infected by the evil virus. When Green Man and Stel attempted to prevent a starship from meltdown, the possessed Green Man caused the reactor to blow by mixing matter with anti-matter. Stel was seemingly destroyed by the resulting blast.
Green Man was cleansed of the virus after Despotellis attack was uncovered by Guy Gardner. Distraught over the death of his friend, Green man refused to believe that Stel was dead. Green Man was moved to tears as he scoured the space near Mogo for any signs of his friend. His faith was rewarded when he discovered a badly damaged but active Stel, floating aimlessly.
Much to Green Man’s joy, Stel managed to reverse the polarity of his atoms seconds before the explosions, preserving parts of his head arm and body. Their reunion was soon interrupted by an army of Sinestro Corps soldiers intent on attacking and destroying Mogo. Stel used his power ring to construct the rest of his body and the two Lanterns prepared to defend Mogo alone against the invading force. Stel calculated the impossible odds of their survival, amending them slightly upon the arrival of Mogo’s partner the fly-like Lantern, Bzzd. The battle for Mogo raged on with a contingent of Corpsmen, led by Kilowog, arriving in time to save Mogo from destruction. Stel fought with distinction in the Sinestro Corps War, standing among those Lanterns who invaded and destroyed Ranx the Sentient City. When the Sinestro Corps attacked Earth, Stel and Green man defended Las Vegas from Sinners intent on taking the city. Green Man noted with some humor that Stel was fascinated by Vegas’ games of chance, and suggested returning to the City of Sin when the war ended.
Prelude to Blackest Night
Following the wars end, Stel attempted to repair his body by magnetically drawing in tons of space debris from around the galaxy. Stel intended on bringing in a wide variety of spare parts to rebuild his heavily damaged body. Stel was unable to complete his repairs before the guardians selected him to accompany Gardner, Rayner, Arisia, Sodam Yat, Bzzd, Iolande, Soranik Natu, Vath Sarn and Isamot Kol in a quest to locate those Sinestro Corps rings that were patrolling the universe seeking new bearers.
The Lanterns search led them into conflict with the despot Mongul. Mongul had obtained a Sinestro Corps ring and used it to reverse engineer the empathy inducing spoors of the Black Mercy plant into a bioweapon he spread throughout the universe. Stel and his companions battled Mongul, resulting in the seeming death of the villain and the tragic loss of Bzzd.
Following the ring quest, Stel was pursuing and attempting to apprehend a Sinestro Corps soldier. When the pursuit took Stel into the Vega Sector he was attacked by Larfleeze and branded with the symbol of the Orange Lantern Corp. Larfleeze had recently been attacked by the Controllers, an attack which the Orange Lantern attributed to the Guardians.
The badly damaged Stel was taken to Oa, where a construct of Larfleeze emerged from the brand on Stel’s chest and threatened to destroy the Guardians for breaking their truce. After this attack Stel rebuilt himself once again, adopting a much more powerful and imposing body. Stel then joined the Guardians in invading Vega and confronting Larfleeze.
Stel later served in the defense of Oa during the Blackest Night. When Kilowog decided that he needed a break from the position of Corp Drill Instructor, he selected Stel as his replacement, a selection that was approved by Salaak. Stel accepted this duty, but made it clear that he was only holding the position until Kilowog was ready to return to duty.
War of The Green Lanterns
Recently, In War of the Green Lanterns the guardians have dispatched a team of Green Lanterns lead by Salaak to recover Hal Jordan for treason against the universe and to the Green Lantern Corps. Salaak was given permission to hand select his team and bring Hal Jordan back to Oa. He choose: B'dg (Sector 1014), Turytt (Sector 786), Stel, Norchavius (Sector 26), Meadlux (Sector 1776), Lok Neboora and his sector partner Barreer Wot (Sector 3814)
Powers and Abilities
Stel is the wielder of a Green Lantern Power Ring which enables him to accomplish a variety of effects. The Green Lantern Ring allows Stel to manipulate its energies through the use of willpower.
The Green Lantern Ring gives Stel the following abilities:
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cubewas used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Transforming: The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes (Barry and Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow (through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns.
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.
Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
WeaknessesMental Incapacitation: The ring cannot be wielded correctly if the wearer is under the influence of drugs or if there is an involvement of neural interference.
Yellow Impurity: In the beginning the Green Ring was vulnerable to the color yellow. It was unable to defend against attacks from wielders of the Sinestro Corps as well. This weakness however has now be changed and can be overcome by veterans who have the ability to overcome great fear. Hal Jordan was of the first of the Green Lanterns to show that this weakness could be overcome.
Recharge: Previously had to be recharged every 24 hours or when it has been depleted of energy. This can be accomplished if the bearer of the ring recites an oath into his power lantern while holding the ring to it. However now, the power ring only needs to be recharged when it runs out of energy. Sinestro stated to Hal that it was possible for a Green Lantern to store his.her battery in a pocket Universe and take it with them wherever they went but so far Hal has not displayed the ability to do this.
Red Lantern Corps. Bearers of the red ring have the ability to drain a Green Power Ring of its energy. The ring of a Blue Lantern however has the ability to charge a Green Lantern Ring or negate this negative effect. Blue Lanterns rings also have the ability to purge the negative effects that a Red Lanterns Ring can cause upon the wielder of a Green Lantern Ring.
Ability To Kill: One of the main weaknesses of the Power Rings that greatly disturbed Sinestro was the fact that the bearers of the Green Lantern Ring were unable to kill. Recently however, this restriction on the rings has been lifted but murder is still against the law of the GL Corps. This restriction was lifted by the Guardians of the Universe during the War of the Green Lanterns
Green Lantern Status: Active
Space Sector: 3009
Sector Partner: Possibly Green Lantern 3009
Predecessor: 1st - unknown; 2nd - Yron
Successor: 1st Green Lantern of Space Sector 3009; 2nd - Yron